Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Will definitely be in, yeah.

e: also, because I haven't posted in this thread for a while, thanks to whoever got me the Kezia avatar, it's lovely as heck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Acaila posted:

Updates

Saturday 20th August
Edinburgh
Draft Itinerary:
17:00 - Meet at Revolution, Chambers Street, opposite the National Museum for drinks/food - online booking system not working so will see if I can get them on the phone
20:30 - The Dark Room at The Underbelly - book your own ticket through edfringe.com - https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/john-robertson-the-dark-room
Book in advance because you don't want to be the n00b who doesn't get in and it sold out last Saturday.

Currently in:
Acaila
Autonomous Monster
Budgie
Angepain
IceAgeComing
Murderion
Have I missed anyone?

Also Kin, you really do need to see The Dark Room cos it's ace.

Yeah, me. :(

I'll be getting in at about half six, depending on whether or not I get out of work in time. Will definitely be there by seven, anyway.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Just to check, is anyone going into Glasgow today for the Trump protest?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

e: nm, I'm tired af

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

High school built up a lifelong hatred of poetry in me, sorry.

oh, you were serious. Have some Tom Leonard.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, Scotland will have to join the EU as a new member, with everything that entails. Which isn't great, clearly. Better than not being in the club tough.

I'm glad you're so confident that the EU's going to survive after this year, considering France, Holland etc. are going to elect strongly Eurosceptic governments in the next few months. Somebody has to, and I'm not.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

We learned about Wallace, Bruce, Scotland in the late 19th/early 20th centuries (leading to WW1) and for some reason the Scottish Reformation. That wasn't too shabby tbh.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

The Tories probably won't make ground in Scotland under FPTP, especially after Davidson's defense of the rape clause. Edinburgh West is 100% going to the Lib Dems at the very least, and Ian Murray will probably retain. Otherwise, I can see Black, Wishart, Sheppard, Robertson and Salmond definitely keeping their seats, but a fair few SNP folks will lose their seats to the Lib Dems. I'm guessing they'll have about 42 seats, something around that scale. Definitely the majority party in Scotland.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

I'm not sure it'd be a nightmare, it's still a very good performance considering how many MPs they had this time 2 year years ago, but it would be a solid confirmation that there's gently caress all chance of ScotRef passing. They were always going to lose MPs because this isn't held 6 months after the first independence referendum, though I do think Venomous's view is an extreme result. There's been no boundary reform as of yet, and while getting 49.97% nationally is not happening again and never would, the SNP losing 13 MPs seems...I don't see it personally.

But I've not looked at any Scottish polling recently so maybe the Lib Dems really are having an incredible resurrection and will force Labour into 4th place. I'm pretty sceptical of that but I'm also entirely biased against the Lib Dems so I'm probably underestimating their chances.

This is a fair point. I didn't consider the lack of boundary reform, and I also haven't looked into the polls recently. Thinking about it, if they lose Edinburgh West, they wouldn't even be losing a seat since iirc Michelle Thomson still hasn't rejoined the SNP. Same with Natalie McGarry and Glasgow East. 50 is a more reasonable estimate tbh.

I still can't see the Tories making a resurgence though. By the looks of things there haven't been any Scottish polls for the general elections and since the Scottish local elections are conducted via STV I'm not really sure how well the Conservative support there will translate into seats. I still don't see the Tories doing all that well under FPTP, whereas the Lib Dems will probably take the Northern Isles (Carmichael's been out of the spotlight recently) and Edinburgh West and Labour will probably retake Glasgow East. I dunno, you have a point about the Tories and the Borders.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

Why are you so sure Edinburgh West is going Lib Dem?

I live there. We went Lib Dem for the Scottish Parliament elections after Michelle Thomson hosed up, and it's either the Lib Dems or the Tories at this point for Westminster. However, we haven't returned a Tory MP since 1992, so the chances of us going for anything other than the Lib Dem candidate are quite slim. I mean, the SNP still has a presence around here, but their chances are a bit more slim now for the aforementioned reasons.

Comedy option: we return a Labour MP for the first time since 1929.

e: also, are Thomson and McGarry going to stand again? If so, they might split the nationalist votes because of the incumbency effect. Of course, this only applies if the SNP run candidates against them.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 18, 2017

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Eh, you're probably right. I dunno, I'm pulling poo poo out of my arse here to distract myself from the final stretch of this fuckin dissertation.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Has Salmond not done a good job as constituency MP for Gordon? I don't see him losing his seat, is the thing.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jedit posted:

Salmond's been too busy showboating in Westminster and writing columns for the McSturmer to give two tugs on a dead dog's cock about his constituency. I don't know if it's enough to get him out, though.

Figures. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If it were two years ago I'd be really concerned about the SNP's chances, but I've come to realise that they're actually quite crap since then and I don't really care about Scottish independence as much as I used to. Guess that's why I was so pessimistic about the SNP's chances earlier.

Niric posted:

All talk of the absolute void of hopelessness that is the snap election aside, best of luck with the dissertation. The end part can be mentally brutal, that whole final where's-the-time-gone no-more-procrastination-possible panic thing. Try and vent about it when you can, just relying on distraction wasn't all that helpful in my experience! :eng99:

Thank you so much. I love both Kafka and Kelman, but urghhhh I just don't feel as motivated to write this as I should. Spent so much time procrastinating on it that it's just arghhhhhhh need to get all the references in, need to format it all correctly, need to make sure everything's in place for Thursday. Exactly what you're saying there.

Actually, if there's a mod reading this, could I please have a 1 day probation? Really need to get this poo poo done, and I've been distracting myself here all evening.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Niric posted:

That sounds really cool! At Glasgow uni? Seems like it'd be a good fit for Scot lit. If it comes down to a matter of priorities I'd say to get the formatting nailed before minor references; it's much more obvious to a marker that there's an inconsistency than if something is missing.

Nah, Stirling. And yeah, all the references are there now, it's just a case of making sure everything's in place and it's formatted correctly and all that, as you say.

Niric posted:

FWIW it also seems like a really interesting pairing too. There was a great quote in, I think, a review of Kieron Smith, Boy, talking about how the whole literary vandalism controversy was absurd because Kelman is essentially an unrepentent modernist, and there's a definite shared sense of individuals being overwhelmed by circumstance. You also get a whole load of inbuilt alliteration for the title, which is always useful ('how late was it? Causation, contiguity and complex chronologies in kafka and Kelman,' that sort of thing).

Aye, that sums up Kelman's protagonists to a T. It's a bit more blurry in Kafka's case because Karl Rossmann is the only protagonist in his novels who's overwhelmed by circumstance, whereas Joseph K. is an elitist liberal rear end in a top hat and K. the Land Surveyor is an opportunistic power-hungry sociopath. Both Kafka and Kelman are connected by authority and its effect on individuals though, and that's where I'm focusing the dissertation. Whether it's any good or not is for me to find out in due course.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

ah yes, we could all stand to learn a lesson from Mount Rushmore, the most important one being that it's morally justifiable to steal Native American land and carve the heads of white men into them, two of whom owned slaves

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MacDiarmid also wrote in a bullshit mashed-up Scottish language and he was a good poet, but he was also a fascist so

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Oh cool, we still have a Scotpol thread! Just going to quote what I just said in the UKMT:

Venomous posted:

For all the Scotpol folks ITT:

https://twitter.com/HarryJosieGiles/status/1189862333973221377?s=09
https://twitter.com/HarryJosieGiles/status/1189862872089858048?s=09
https://twitter.com/HarryJosieGiles/status/1189864199608029184?s=09

taking into account all this and the SNP's institutional transphobia, this is why I can't support indyref2 if it just means the SNP will become the dominant party of government in an independent Scotland

I mean I can't bring myself to vote Labour, but gently caress, the SNP is such garbage

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Tom Leonard is spinning in his grave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

crossposting from the UKMT: