Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

baronvonsabre posted:

the Tories/Labour can't because they're too busy fighting each other.

In labour's case I think you mean "fighting themselves."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Maybe a "stupidist" is some sort of performance artist.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Extreme0 posted:

Yea and we get Theresa May instead. Maggie 2.0 :suicide:

May doesn't have nearly the intimidation factor charisma that Maggie had, though.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

She does have nice eyes though.

I wonder if I could convert her. With the power of my sociology degree.

This being National Action, a fascist youth organisation - and just from the looks of things - she's probably about 15.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

I'm looking forward to a referendum 2.0 where Scotland bottles it yet again and we lean into the punches of a proper fascist government of supercharged tories for 20-odd years. Things are bad now, but there's always room for them to get worse and I don't see the downward spiral Britain is in abating for some time to come. There's no real way we can step up to the long-term challenges we're facing right now while we're shackled to the sinking corpse of an increasingly insular and stagnant England. We need to be able to collaborate across europe on things like climate change and retooling the economy or we're kind of boned regardless.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

jre posted:

I'm looking forward to idiots growing up and not describing people voting a different way as "bottling it"

Do you feel as charitable about the Brexit result I wonder? It's entirely fine and grown up to think the people who made a bad decision made the wrong decision. Though really I was more talking about the giving in to fear and negativity that characterised those in the no camp and, oddly enough, seems to have clinched the Leave vote in the EU referendum too -- not that there was a side offering any hope in that one.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

jre posted:

They didn't make a sound case that it would make things better for the people of Scotland. "fear" is implying that independence is the only right choice but people "bottled" making that decision. People voted no for rational reasons, hard core nationalists who based their decision on emotion and patriotic sentiment just don't seem to be able to get this because that's not how they made their decision.

Both leave campaigns used national exceptionalism and emotive rhetoric to hand wave away any kind of serious question about how would things be better.

The thing is the No camp didn't exactly make a strong case for how things would be more stable either. Certainly in retrospect it seems either choice was a massive leap in the dark and any hope that maintaining the untenable status quo was somehow more stable was naive and largely unfounded. The quite reasonable belief that tory England would drag us kicking and screaming from Europe and otherwise punt our hopes and dreams into the loving sea is not so much an emotional argument as an astute observation of the way the wind was and is blowing. That the Scottish electorate only a year later mobilised en masse to vote overwhelmingly for one party without having any kind of decisive effect on the election result (thanks FPTP) illustrates perfectly how misserved they are by Britain's democratic deficit and begs the question, "How can things meaningfully improve for us without independence?"

But I suppose anybody that disagrees with the idea that a No vote was the sensible, adult, non-idiotic choice should just shut up and eat their cereal.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

jre posted:

How about instead of eating their cereal they try understand the other point of view instead of calling them idiots

Indeed.

jre posted:

I'm looking forward to idiots growing up and not describing people voting a different way as "bottling it"

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

I don't get it, are the Scottish resistance Jacobites? Are they gonna get that Duke Franz of Bavaria or whatever his name is to come over and be the king of independent Scotland?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Acaila posted:

Yasssss, we're way more fun than cricket :)

Only just. It's still Scotpol after all.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Haggis is shite and we all just pretend to like it. Also, I think it must be a viking import as the scandies have an excellent track record w/r/t making unappetising meals out of things most sane people become nauseous at the mere prospect of ingesting.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7/status/777625813948792832

Crimes against comedy and rap music compounded by homophobic slurs.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7/status/777835562401169408

Probably should've posted this too, for context. It's a bit of a mixture. On the one hand, yeah mansplaining to gays not to call gays nasty names is a bit poo poo. On the other, the gist of Stonewall's No Bystanders campaign, which seems to be taking exception, is that everyone, be they gay or straight, should be calling out homophobic language when they see it.

e; ah, gently caress, that's what I get for having pissflaps on ignore. Beaten thoroughly.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

A reader of this thread might wonder how you know you were beaten if you have the person who beat you on ignore.

I'm like that with plasters too. Can't resist peeling them off for a good, hard look.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Alertrelic posted:

Interesting that the Scottish Conservatives, who recently argued that a former MSP had no legitimate interest in the area he represented because he was a foreigner, are now paragons of equality and civil discourse.

The who? Oh, you mean the Ruth Davidson Party.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Jedit posted:

No, no, no - Nicola Sturgeon says independence transcends oil, Brexit or the economy. It's much more important to be independent than to have a working country.

In that respect at least, she and little England are in accord.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Minimum pricing is a fine idea so long as it prompts alcoholics to get help with their addiction and doesn't instead lead to them either choosing between eating and buying drink or deciding they'd be better served by theft in the same vein as heroin addicts. Is there any data on what happened to the rate of shoplifting after Canada's price hike for instance?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Has the punch been spiked at least?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

What the hell are people going to do with their time when their favourite pastime of binge-drinking becomes untenably expensive? I mean it's something you do when there's nothing better to do anyway. Can't go out to the pub, can't afford to buy booze to drink at home. End up just sitting there, docile in the glare of an aging 17-inch flatscreen watching godawful TV that hates you. If Scotland has an alcohol crisis it's a much worse and deeper-rooted problem than well-meaning paternalism can hope to fix.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

The sort of people who we want to cut their consumption are already drinking far in excess of the weekly unit limit. Among alcoholics I was something of a lightweight and I still drank several times that over the course of a week, some people manage double the weekly limit in one night out at the pub. If an alcoholic is faced with the choice between getting drunk and having enough to eat for the week, I reckon the only thing they'll be prompted to reassess their relationship with is food. Also while the minimum pricing thing is only concerned with raising the price floor, that doesn't then mean that alcohol prices will remain largely unchanged. More prestigious brands might decide they don't like having parity with mass-produced swill and the connotations that come with the budget ghetto and raise their prices accordingly. Or the alcohol industry or the supermarkets might decide to raise alcohol prices across the board while citing the new law as an excuse, since most customers probably aren't going to do the research to notice they're bullshitting anyway.

Considering the other impacts things like brexit are gonna have on the overall cost of living as well as employment prospects and life chances in general, heaping more expense - however well intentioned - onto folk isn't going to go well.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

You saying you haven't read all these articles you meticulously compiled?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Hoops posted:

I think the concept of "virtue signalling" has finally clicked in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrf-PRYPxr8

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Cerv posted:

Careful with that gigantic straw man. It's a bit flammable

How dare you denigrate such good, honest teuchter traditions.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Are we a golf course yet?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

The Graun: Universal basic income trials being considered in Scotland

This is encouraging.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Let's be fair, there was a lot more wrong with Ed Milliband than his sandwich-eating technique. Many adverse qualities that he has actually seemed to shed since his bid to lead the country, though that might be a matter of optics rather than personal growth.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

gently caress y'all, Burns is cool and good. Whatever that Trump poem was was pish though.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

jre posted:

Is your Wallace & Gromit slash fiction written in Scots ?

No, Gaelic. Well, whichever regional Scottish language winds this self-loathing thread up the most, take your pick.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Sounds like y'all had poo poo teachers, I still love me some poetry and school didn't even manage to put me off Shakespeare.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

I think we should move back to bronze torcs and hacksilver.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Yorkshiremen are a pretty good medium of exchange imo and the restrictive window that is campaigning season in the north of England will help to prevent runaway inflation.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

we all float down here georgie

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Nationalism of any sorts is pretty poo poo, to be honest, but likening the SNP to the nazis or trying to conflate Scottish civic nationalism with the bring back hanging, get the immigrants out, refugees not welcome shite you see down south is a bit simplistic too. There absolutely are Scots who are rotten chauvinistic pieces of poo poo, but they're as divided on independence as any other slice of the population.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Instead we should blame ourselves for the problems of the world, of course.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

The orange order are hegemonic, supremacist pricks and the only reason folk don't lump them together with fash as a matter of course is because the targets of their campaigns of intimidation and provocation are white and christian. That's my scorching hot take.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

It'll probably be pissing into the wind but I reckon voting labour can't do any harm up here. It looks like it's mostly going to be libdems vs SNP for the GE and they're both shite so you might as well go for labour as a protest vote.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

jre posted:

So your complaints seem to be

1. I'm 12 years old and hate the police. gently caress you dad.
2. People breaching the peace got arrested for breaching the peace.
3. Someone stupid enough to try and stop the police arresting someone got done for obstruction of justice.

What do you think happens to people who lie down in the road and refuse to move ?

Jings. This take's a right scorcher.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

jre posted:

Public unequivocal show of support for LGBT rights by police and business community bad say people born after the repeal of section 28 and the decriminalisation of homosexuality

It's not exactly unequivocal support if LGBT people are getting arrested or kicked out of their own parade for expressing political speech, now is it?

And not every anticapitalist is an angsty teenager, in fact many of the more radical voices in the LGBT community are people who were there back in the days when LGBT activism itself was pretty loving radical compared to today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Just wait till the SNP make a hard right turn to try and outflank their rehabilitated scottish tory competition, for coohoolin to follow suit thereafter