Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

ulvir posted:

this current trend of people aged 80+ getting (re-) involved in politics and getting positions in city councils needs to stop before we turn into a gerontocracy. kindly gently caress off and let someone who aren’t at a considerable risk of dying or going senile within the next couple of years handle it.

Gaze into the future and despair. For real, the aging population will just break politics more and more, as oldies keep voting for policy that fucks over young people. Given the demographics of *checks notes* every developed country, it can only get worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

norwegian elected officials trend very heavily middle-aged, with the mean age of parliamentarians being 45 and trending slightly down. there aren't that many seriously old people involved in norwegian politics on the national level compared to how many old people we have in the country - the oldest person in parliament currently is carl i. hagen, who's pushing 80 halfway through his term. locally you get some octogenarians sometimes, but i suspect that they're still underrepresented compared to their portion of the population. for the most part, our elders are pretty good at getting out of their seats before they get too obviously degraded.

torstein dahle is coming back because his pet issue has gained more salience than anyone planned, and brundtland presumably agreed to be on the ticket to boost oslo ap at a crucial election. it could become a problem, but imo it's not really an issue yet. if anything i think that the opposite trend, where people in their twenties and early-mid thirties are getting very senior positions (like mayor of bergen or minister of justice in the kingdom - or prime minister of finland) is more concerning - it speaks to these positions no longer being seen as the summit of a career, but a step on the way to a think tank, lobby group or international organisation.

I think the problem (at least here in Sweden) is mostly that most high ranking politicians are 50-70, which is peak FYGM territory. You (and people you know, your friend group etc) are typically in the phase where you have the highest income, the least need of public goods, you have climbed the housing ladder and you are not yet in need of elder care. Which means that you are the most likely to, even if you try not to, understand and champion policy that helps the coming generations.

The only young ministers we have currently are party broilers obviously put in positions that the parties want to use as punching bags (culture and environment) where they are left to speak platitudes and then get run over in budget negotiations and to take a big share of negative press away from those in the party that actually matter. They are intentionally set up to fail.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 15, 2023

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Beeswax posted:

The gang violence situation is obviously dire on a societal level, but I don't feel personally threatened by it.
It's 99% power struggles within or between criminal networks. I'm hardly going to be mistaken for a target.

The bombings are jarring but they're displays of power - not intended to harm or kill people. That is not to say that I wouldn't feel unsafe (or want to move) if I was living in a house where there was an explosion, but the chances of actually being harmed by those things are miniscule. A few years back, there was a bombing a block away and my biggest reaction was annoyance at the noise.

Hello, Malmö goon checking in. I lived across the street from Gyros Pita when I first moved here in the early 10s. They make good pizza as well.

Malmö goon here too. Have heard several bombs, very much not fearing for my life and not feeling more at danger now than before.

If you are in a criminal network, you are more likely than in a long time to be faced with violence. A new aspect is also that if you're not personally involved in criminal activities, merely being related to a gang criminal means that you are now more likely to be a victim. Vendettas among gang criminals are to a larger degree than before directed at relatives of the targets.

That said, you're still a thousand times more likely to be hurt by a traffic accident than gang or terror violence if you are not involved in a criminal network. I feel like the general mood in Malmö is better now than it was a few years ago, when car burnings was a regular occurance and there was an active gang war. That war has mostly died down. One reason you see so much more about it in media now is that it is happening more in cities closer to Stockholm, which means that It Matters in a way that it didn't in Swedish national media when similar waves of violence has happened around Gothenburg or down here in Malmö.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Megamissen posted:

was it the rain that caused it?
we got very heavy rain here in jönköping earlier today and ended up with some minor flooding

It might have been illegal shortcuts at a constuction site that is the main culprit. And not for the first time:

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/nQjeAx/fultippade-schaktmassor-kan-ha-orsakat-jordskred-pa-e6

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yeah rose-tinted glasses about Finlands should be avoided. There's nothing better about the True Finns than the rest of Scandinavia's right wing populists, with the main difference being that Finland has a history of not even taking in that many refugees. So the True Finns were frothing at their mouths about how 12 000 refugees in 2015 was an existential threat to Finland... while Sweden had 160 000 refugees seeking asylum.

They also have a history of taking almost no quota refugees from the EU.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Swedish government working hard on projecting an aura of competence:

https://www.dn.se/varlden/billstrom-missade-mote-i-kiev-uppges-ha-glomt-passet/

Our moron of a foreign minister allegedly missed a meeting for all EU foreign ministers in Kiev because he misplaced his passport. He was turned back at the Polish border.

His press secretary blames "logistical issues".

lol

lmao

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

teen witch posted:

This is some poo poo I’d pull in HS if I didn’t do my homework, but I would just flat out cut the class to spare everyone the embarrassment.

Doesn’t he, of all people in the country, have a way around this? What logistical issues are there, really?

E: wait how did he leave the country without his passport? They check it before you enter a plane or boat. And given his final destination is Ukraine wouldn’t they be triple sure that all was in order before leaving Terra Svea?

As I understand it they were all going to Kiev by train together and he got to Poland, there would be no checks until then if he went by train. Hell, on a long distance train in Sweden they don't even check tickets these days. Then he was not allowed to continue when the whole group was going to Ukraine. Because Mr. Big Brain Foreign Minister probably had his passport sitting at his nightstand at home.

That's quite an embarrassing moment, sitting on a bench in Poland as the rest of the Ministers go to Kiev as you frantically try to find out how to book a return ticket.

The "logistical issue" that his press secretary won't go into details about is that he forgot his passport. Because it is too embarrassing to admit openly that's what happened.

Stalins Moustache posted:

I've partied with enough Swedes to know that bæsj is beer. Still didn't make it any less funny when they started singing
BÆSJ
BÆSJ
BÆSJ
BÆSJ
while at the bar.

It's:

Leader: Bira bira bira!
Chorus: Bärs bärs bärs!
Leader: Bira!
Chorus: Bärs!
Leader: Bira!
Chorus: Bärs!
Leader: Bira bira bira!
Chorus: Bärs bärs bärs!

There, now you're fluent in drunken Swedish. You're welcome.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 3, 2023

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Threadkiller Dog posted:

In east coastian weak r swedish:

Bajskedja
Bajsområde
Bajssäker
Bajsklättrare
Bajssjö
Bajshamra

Back when I did a year at Folkhögskola I legit thought that a classmate had a severe speech impediment until I learned that that's how people talk around Västervik.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

F4rt5 posted:

Now that the "Kurdish Fox" is supposedly caught, the gang wars are won! Certainly no person or organisation will ever take his or its place, and we can go back to blaming the kids.

No you see as we're introducing child prisons, the kids will be in jail and won't be able to do crimes. Bing bong problem solved by Big Brain Ulf.

If kids continue doing crimes anyway, the problem is just that we don't incarcerate enough kids. Just expand the juvenile prisons until morale improves. Bonus points if you can put them to work as free labour in a privatized prison. Just look at how the US did and you have the blueprint. 500+ incarcerated by 100K is rookie numbers.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 9, 2023

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Använder fortfarande smartphones och blir beroende av instant gratification apps dock, även vuxna, vi är alla hosed.

too busy doomscrolling tiktok to post

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Our Swedish foreign minister openly claimed that Israel's bombing of civilians in Gaza is "proportional" and part of Israel's right to defend itself. He's so dense and bad at doing the dog whistling that the critizism was severe enough, even from part of the Right, that he had to backpedal. But yeah, I'm very very not surprised.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

either we capitulate to the capitalists or we do something else. abolishing the wealth tax makes sense as part of a strategy of capitulation, but if we choose that path we really cannot complain when we see inequality keep massively increasing

i agree that under the EU-based strategy pursued by effectively the entire governing elite of the day, such capitulation appears to be the only workable option. this is why not being opposed to that strategy makes very little sense to anyone on the left imo.

Yeah Sweden did away with or decreased most types of wealth taxes the last 20 years (inheritance tax, property tax, capital taxes etc) and the resuts were, well, a sharp increase in the speed of wealth disparity.

Who. Could. Have. Guessed?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I'm pretty sure they're supposed to follow all traffic laws if they don't have the lights on, but hey, what are you going to do, call the police?

On the other side of the pond, the chief parking inspector of Tampere has gotten into a row with the mayor because he's ticketed multiple illegally parked police cars, including an unmarked police car parked on the sidewalk. It's now escalated to the point that the mayor's office is trying to find grounds to fire him, while he's escalated the matter to the prosecutor general.

Police cars patrol our pedestrian path close to me pretty often, which is especially weird as there's a fully functional mixed pedestrian/car street five metres to the side of it. They also use it as a convenient shortcut.

But as for your question: if they are on patrol they are allowed to drive on pedestrian only paths as long as they don't go faster than 30 kph. They can drive against one-way traffic and pretty much do whatever they want as long as they are on duty and patrolling. There's been a few scandals over time where off-duty cops have broken traffic rules on the way to work etc. and pretended to be on patrol.

The lights and sirens being on or off are not the deciding matter. If there's an urgent matter, they can ignore all important traffic rules (stop signs, traffic lights, företräde etc.). If they require "fri väg", i.e. other drivers moving aside, they need to have the lights on. It's up to the driver to decide if they need the sirens and lights or not. They can still drive faster than the speed limit etc. if they deem it an emergency but that they don't need other drivers to make a path for them. I don't know when this would be but pretty much I guess if they are speeding on a highway to get somewhere and the traffic is not heavy enough that it's a problem to blast past.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 17, 2023

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I think one of the facts speaking against Tesla winning this is that it's not a huge company, and they are a foreign company in both the real sense and in the views of the public. If I'm checking correctly there's what, 130 employees striking? IF Metall can easily support that without breaking a sweat. It's not like a huge general strike where the size of the war chest becomes an issue. And the only parties supporting Tesla that I've read are the usual suspects (i.e. bougie newspapers and Timbro and similar). So as I see it, the pressure is on Tesla. As long as the strike continues, the strikers are properly supported while Tesla is racking up pissed off customers.

It also helps that Elon Musk seems to personally be the one ordering the negotiations to be halted and he has, well, lost a lot of popularity as a figure the last few years.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Swedish PM just went out and said that every citizen needs to "put their lives on the line to defend swedish values" while he and his cronies are busy selling so called swedish values to the highest bidder.

To be fair, they don't spend all their time selling out Swedish values to the highest bidder.

They also spend a lot of time building illegal attachments to their seaside vacation homes.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Is this like when you sent a submarine to invade Iraq as a way to lick US boots without actually being in danger?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

teen witch posted:

what, exactly, is a batongliberal? noticed it in the comments section of an article about L wanting to put a kiddie lock on phone usage past kl23 (lol, lmao).

I can find the term in use when I google it which has narrowed down what it could mean, but not exactly a definition?

You know when many of the Swedish liberals says that personal liberty is the #1 most important thing, which is why taxes is bad and restrictions on private schools is bad etc, but also everyone moving to Sweden while being brown needs to integrate by 100% learning fluent Swedish or get booted out and also stop and frisk is a good thing and more jails and harsher punishment is very important, and actually SD has very good ideas on restricting islamic symbols etc. etc.? Yes? Those are batongliberaler. People who outwards say they are liberals but mostly champion very conservative policies. The dictionary should have betongliberaler as an illustration of cognitive dissonance.

Historically I think the language tests has been one of the major batongliberal policy over the years, and then they've just become more and more influential in the party as they have had to abandon most of the liberal ideas to jive with the Tidö agreement. A lot of the internal opposition to it in the party have left or been beaten into submission.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 4, 2024

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

BonHair posted:

My Ukrainian coworker makes a big deal out of giving his wife flowers and getting the boss to tell the woman Ukrainian employees that they're appreciated. I think the Soviets neutered it even more. You're supposed to be angry at patriarchy today (and all days)!

Nah it's not just Ukraine. I was surprised that when my wife studied at an international school in Denmark, March 8 was "Every Female Student Gets a Rose Day". That was it. A very watered down messaging that men should appreciate women in general once per year. Not a single word about gender inequality etc.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

There's not even any evidence the guy was Danish. Seems much more likely that he was painted as a Dane because Dirk Pitt has been convinced by Swedish propaganda that anyone saying racist stuff is actually a Dane.

Just because it's propaganda doesn't mean it's not true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Mymla posted:

In what loving universe does it take 6+ years to drive from sweden to finland?

(Assuming 2018 was even the first time they asked)

(Ignoring how people working at KI knew about the skulls for 150 years and just chose not to return them)

Karolinska is a neverending burning trash heap of scandals, so this is not something unusual for them.

E: This is just one of the active ones, where a top maternity care doctor got fired for... using her emails wrong? While their lawyers fought tooth and nail to defend an Italian doctor who used false research to implant plastic throaths which slowly and painfully killed the patients.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/RGP7A8/nya-larm-om-karolinska-blivit-totalt-galet

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 25, 2024