Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Alhazred posted:

lovely work for a lovely party.
But OP, that's all of them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

The field mattress knows her base.
It's been a while since I've seen this insult used, wow.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that I was disagreeing, because I'm not - it's just not a word that comes up in conversation a lot.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

am i going insane
The good news is that if you are, you yourself can't tell!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Alhazred posted:

We do it to gently caress with you.
So it's the equivalent of linking the Kamelåså sketch by Uti Vår Hage, but for Swedes?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

Thorning quit her new job already. :laffo:
It's definitely completely surprising that she would quit her job as a member of an FN panel that is supposed to crack down on tax evasion, rather than the positions she has which have her linked to tax evasion.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

That's the one for last place.
Paging someone with lots of ointment, Denmark is gonna need a lot of it for this burn!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Danes would agree.
Aren't we both Danes? :v:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Fader Movitz posted:

It's pretty dumb to argue about where ground meat in the most basic shape comes from imo. But then again this ad seems like a honey trap for bad twitter takes.
They're more like oblate spheroids, OP.

teen witch posted:

A lot of the English language articles I’ve read mention that it seems to be manufactured outrage, and fragile bigots of all stripes take to that like oil to fire. Weird how “facts, not feelings” suddenly doesn’t apply to literal facts that offended certain types of feelings!
You're saying people can be hypocritical?! Color me surprised!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I would've thought you'd be old enough to remember Perker spillet, as it was called then, which Jan Elhøj and Simon Jul Jørgensen commisioned for uland.net? DR just published a retrospective (which translates relatively using the usual suspects).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's something rotten in the state of Denmark, when the social democrats out-neoliberalism and out-racist the neoliberalists and racists.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:perfect:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Redczar posted:

Hey Scandinavian thread! Sorry to barge into your thread, but I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of some information about your healthcare systems.

In Chile, we are voting on adopting a new constitution, and today I got into an argument with some people campaigning in the street against adopting it. While defending their ideas, they mentioned that public services are always terrible, and our current constitution prefers private entities, which are better. They then proceeded to cite Nordic countries as a success story for the case of private systems (in this case, she was referencing healthcare specifically)

I have absolutely no idea how your countries' various health systems work. I read the first few pages of this thread, and saw some of the general complaints about healthcare in some of your countries. Is there a good article/post/anything which summarizes a bit of how your different systems work, like private vs public importance, positives and negatives, etc? If I have another encounter with these people, I’d like some understanding to be able to discuss their points
Here is the Danish Ministry of Healths report on the Danish healthcare system, from 2017.
I think the other Scandinavian countries differ slightly in details, but it's broadly the same.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

The Master Race

Reminds me of this.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Welp, Danish PM just closed down the country.
I ain't leaving home for the next many weeks, so gotta find out how online deliveries work.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

THE BAR posted:

So one of the things the Danish government wants to push through today, is to let the police break into people's homes without a warrant. Is it to take back some of the yeast people have been hoarding, or is it just another excuse to harass the poor?
Wait, what?! Source?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's time-limited for a year before it comes up for revision, so that's something - but I understand the worry, and it's worth remembering to pay attention to it in a year.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty unprecedented probable overreach of the authority in Smittevernloven, but notice nobody is complaining too loud about that... yet. It's gonna be interesting to see how this pans out over the next month or so.

Frosta kommune is quarantining the entire loving municipality. :stare:
Unlike what I said earlier, sunset provisioning automatically removes it at the specified date, and all extensions are similarly removed on the originally-specified date.
Still important to keep an eye on it, though!

I was a bit worried yesterday because I hadn't had a chance to shop since Sunday, but my mom shopped before going to work, and after talking on the phone with my boss this morning she agreed that since I'm in two risk-groups (cancer patient and type-2 diabetes haver), I should stay home and then we'll have a talk on the phone in two weeks to see how things are going then.
So I'm basically voluntarily self-isolating, although it's frankly not that different from my usual life since I've always been insular.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

THE BAR posted:

It didn't pass, so that's one less thing to worry about, for now.
Didn't it have wide support from all parties?!

EDIT: It did, but it got adjusted a bit so that the authorities cannot enter into peoples private homes without a warrant.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 13, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Katt posted:

Russia: ????
Fixed, because we simply don't know.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

Mette Frederiksen just extended the lockdown until April 13.
It'll be extended further. I expect at least 3 months in total, but will not be surprised if it ends up being 6.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

And SSI wants access to everyone's mobile data, in order to track compliance with the isolation guidelines and laws.

Words cannot express how much I DO NOT loving WANT THIS.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/coronavirus-seruminstitut-vil-tjekke-danskernes-bevaegelser-med-mobildata
Yep, that scares me much more than the already-implemented laws which have a clear sunset provision included which automatically voids it unless explicitly extended.

Not because I intend to move anywhere, as I've voluntarily self-isolated because of my health, but because what about after?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

As a complete surprise to no-one, CEPOS is now advocating mass death to protect Number.
Is your post missing a link to something, or am I just dumbfused?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Katt posted:

Scandinavia Corona fight chart:

Denmark: 2,201
Sweden: 3,447
Norway: 4,032

Baltic Corona fight chart:

Latvia: 305
Lithuania: 394
Estonia: 645
Finland: 1,167

I was informed that Russia's figures were inaccurate so we're no longer counting Russia.
For what it's worth, it's still exponential growth.
Interestingly, one way to show this is to use logarithmic scales to plot things, although it helps to watch the video that explains the graph, and also covers some caveats:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54XLXg4fYsc

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Based on those numbers holding, and this being the exponential part of a logistics curve that tops out at 60% of the population having been infected, as well as the following:

3% death rate for those hospitalized
50% for those who end up in the ICU (UK numbers)
100% for those who would've ended up in the ICU if there was room

The final death toll in Scandinavia is gonna be

DK: 235K
SE: 424K
NO: 215K

or roughly 4% of the population of each country, any deaths due to lack of available medical attention for other poo poo not included. This assumes no expansion of ICU capacity, and that ICU capacity is the only bottleneck. At the peak of the outbreak, 90% of patients needing ICU treatment will be left to die in favor of treating someone with better chances of survival or "societal value".
That doesn't seem right at all, or it's some kind of incredibly worst-case scenario?
Also, the case ratio in China turned out to be much closer to 1%, and WHO estimates it'll be 0.3% to 1%.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 29, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A report released about a week ago posted:

Based on knowledge from China about the clinical course of COVID-19, the State Serum Institute has prepared a prognosis for disease development in Denmark. It is estimated that 80% of those infected have mild to moderate disease. 15% will need hospital treatment and 5% will need intensive hospital care. Based on this knowledge, the forecast in Denmark is that a total of 11,600 patients are expected to need hospitalization during the epidemic period, which is expected to last 12 weeks. Of these, 2,900 patients are expected to require intensive care.
[snip]
Based on the forecast from Italy, the need for intensive places with respirator 827 in peak week, in a 13 week scenario has maximum load in epidemic week 4 - 7, and with an average hospitalization time of two weeks in intensive care.
I would expect a new one to be released tomorrow.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

PederP posted:

I have a gut feeling (sorry) that we'll fare better than most other countries due to our culture and social structure. If there's any truth to the hypothesis that viral load and exposure to other infected during incubation is the main factor determining how severe the symptoms and progression will be, we're in luck. We don't socialize much. We don't visit our parents/grandparents much. Our public transportation is less crowded than many other countries. We try hard to minimize the duration of hospitalization. And so forth.

I expect we have extremely wide-spread infection, but most cases turn out asymptomatic as there is little exposure to other infected. We might see some tragedies resulting from health and nursing home staff who are infected and thus subject elderly and patients to extended exposure - but nursing homes in Denmark are sadly not really heavy on the time staff spend on those who live there.

If this theory holds, we should start seeing an influx of people who attended crowded parties or who live in households with very few m^2 per resident.

Also, does anyone else find it disturbing that 3 hospital directors in Denmark have been tested positive? Not because of the positive result in itself, but because actual patient-facing medical staff are being denied tests. I have another gut feeling about this - they expect that a large percentage of the staff are infected, but want them to get immunity before pressure mounts for real. Some hospitals have directly urged staff with coughs and other mild symptoms to keep working - while denying them testing. To me that indicates that top management actively encourage conditions where spread can occur.

Either way, if the progression in Scandinavia continues like this, staying close to linear than exponential - then there's definitely a cultural or genetic thing at play. I don't really believe it could be the latter (we're really not the genetically different to the rest of Europe for this to make sense). So it would have to be culture, then.
Gut feelings really don't matter, though. Medical science is an actual science which involves data, statistics, and empiricism.

V. Illych L. posted:

i think we really just don't have much slack in our healthcare systems and dozens of medics getting sick would leave us with our systems overwhelmed already
The Danish Health Ministry report speaks on this:

Report from earlier posted:

When the epidemic with COVID-19 peaks, we must also be ready to treat patients with other acute and life-threatening conditions. That will be other patients with severe and catastrophic breathing and circulation failure. We have ensured that there is also the capacity to treat this group and the total number of intensive places with respirators, combined with additional respirators from stores, will thus be 1,260 in the public health system in Denmark.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 29, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm going off the 60% need to get infected for herd immunity to kick in and the disease subsiding on its own. Obviously that's gonna result in far more deaths than only 0.2% of the population getting it. 11K cases would mean we're gonna peak within two to three weeks, and the disease never reappearing as control measures are relaxed. Which would imply a standing quarantine order for anyone crossing the border, probably lasting until this time next year when it has burned through every other country or someone has made a vaccine.
There's no loving way it's only 60% for herd immunity! Where the gently caress are you getting these numbers?
And yes, the report I've been quoting from also mentions it'll peak in week 16.

Measles spreads through coughing and sneezing, and needs ~95% of the population vaccinated for herd immunity to be achieved - have a look at what happened in the states when enough anti-vaxxers got their kids out of vaccination systems, which brought herd-immunity under 90% in local areas.
Also - one thing about measles is that, if you get it as a kid you've got a pretty good chance of surviving, whereas adults who get it succumb to it more often.

PederP posted:

I absolutely do not think we have any degree of control. If we manage to weather this with a non-catastrophic result it will be because of sheer luck.

e: I started out optimistic, but I'm worried the government is going to cave to the onslaught of "think of the economy" stories across media. As if the economy will magically recover once people are allowed to visit restaurants, hairdressers and cinemas. It's so dumb. The lockdown is not the primary driver of the economic downturn, and the actual issues would remain if we ended the lockdown tomorrow: export markets imploding, consumers having fear for the future and the stupid asset-bubble threatening to pop at the worst possible time.
The only fuckers who've been talking about the economy in all of this are a liberal think-tank which I brought up earlier, and they don't deserve the attention so I'm not giving it to them.
This is NOT an actual plague in spite of the fact that some idiots on social media call it that, goods and services can still be exchanged although there is naturally some backlog accruing.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 29, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Alhazred posted:

The reason why we have measles vaccine was that not only did kids die, they were especially at risk because their immune system was not fully developed. Letting yourself willingly be infected is insane because you have no idea how the disease will affect your body. And even if you survive the process and become immun that doesn't mean that you stop carry the disease to others.
Am I thinking of one of the other things kids get vaccinated for, then - or just pulling poo poo out of my rear end?

I'm voluntarily self-isolating, exactly because I'm immunocompromised and a newly diagnosed diabetic.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

PederP posted:

This is a good strategy by the PM - promise that we can start reopening in 14 days if the spread remains within capacity. That's going to make lots of people super-duper angry at anyone who isn't observing the guidelines. And if the most likely (IMO) outcome occurs - that this is not at all under control, she can point the finger at those who failed to act as they were asked, and blame the stricter measures on those people. "I really wanted to normalize society and save the economy, but I can't because of all those people who didn't do what we asked. Now please go out and shame them for me, will you?".

I also think the instruction to start using all hours of the day to avoid crowding is good. We need to transition into being a 24-hour society to minimize human contact even further.

If for some reason we actually manage to have a manageable spread, then I believe it's confirmed that we're the most anti-social and misanthropic culture on Earth.

Oh, and my father-in-law was just diagnosed with cancer today. gently caress that. Chemotherapy during a pandemic is a bit of a bummer.
I'm still in the category that thinks that our PM and her people, despite the fact that I didn't vote for her or her party, is handling this remarkably well.
Her speech this time especially, as it emphasized how it is in our best interests if we choose to have a little carrot as a treat, or we default to the stick.

Hooray for the anti-social and misanthropic ways of living that I've been practicing all my life.

Also, sorry to hear about your father. I got diagnosed with cancer about 4 years ago - going through it was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.
At present I don't know whether I'll be doing stuff in June regarding my otherwise-regular CT scans (since CT-scanners are understandably quite busy), because I'm immune-compromised due to the high-dose chemo- and radiation-therapy I got.
If you need to talk with someone, or just vent, in The Goon Doctor subforums there's a cancer thread that you're welcome in, friend.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

I knew she'd buckle to the number ghouls, just didn't expect it to be this quick.
You must've seen a very different press conference than I did, if that's your take-away.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

AFAIK, the study that argued hydroxycholorquine as a treatment was, let's say, scientifically compromised. They basically discarded the test subjects which didn't fit the conclusion.
It's almost as if science has methods for excluding these kinda of studies. :thunk:

SplitSoul posted:

She announced easing of the lockdown around when the epidemic is expected to peak. People are going to take it as an excuse to resume business as usual, mark my words.

But hey, at least we got to dismantle some civil rights and pump billions into banks and businesses.
No, she announced that they would consider gradually reopening Denmark, provided the numbers allow for it - which is basically a caveat emptor, as we don't know the target numbers.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

PederP posted:

Yes, it was not a study to draw conclusions from. But there have been other attempts to use it, and it's been used against SARS in the past. Also, weirdly, my wife was asked in January (when noone expectd this to hit Denmark) to get her prescription from Rigshospitalet and not her GP. They also pestered her really hard to try reducing her dosage by half. Could be coincidence, but I think there is a least a subset of doctors who think this has some kind of effect against SARS/NCOV. She is worried that the worldwide craze for this medication means she won't be able to get it when she runs out soon. Her Lupus gets a lot worse without it - joints and lungs in particular.
Again, it doesn't matter what doctors think.
We study these things with empiric methods and then have them independently replicated.
A particular study in a particular paper is only as good as the peer-review it's gotten when it was processed for the paper, which hopefully has a high impact factor for its field, as well as the number of citations it has in studies published in (potentially) different papers, with high impact factors for their respective fields.
THAT is science, anything else is just untested hypotheses.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 30, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

PederP posted:

Absolutely, but in a crisis, sometimes science comes after the fact. The anecdotal results of desperate measures are often what prompts the proper scientific studies. I am not advocating that our doctors should abandon science and start prescribing medicine based on gut feelings. But they do have the privilege, and responsibility, to take chances in relation to the situation at hand. A doctor is allowed to prescribe medicine (within certain boundaries) even for conditions it is not approved for. This is good. Scientific studies are a core aspect of medicine, but it is not the only relevant concern. An untested hypothesis is a perfectly valid basis for a treatment - if the alternative is to simply let the patient die.

Numerous medical advances exist only because of mavericks who went against their peers. (Peer review is not flawless, as per the reproducibility crisis in psychologgy, p-hacking, etc.) A good example is titanium as a bio-compatible material. We must not fixate so heavily on the benefits of peer-review studies, that we forget the value of experimentation.

But experiments should almost never be done at a population-level scale, so of course, we should not start treating with antimalarials as a standard protocol. But there should be studies of this. People like Trump who disregard the scientific method and evidence-based medicine are idiots - but so are those who refuse to see the value in experimentation (as a precursor to scientific study).
All of this is true, and I'm not trying to discount that - but you'll note that the reason for the best estimates for a cure and a vaccine et al are 2-3 or more months is that they all still have to go through the scientific process, even if they are being fast-tracked.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Leave the statistical modeling to people who understand statistics.
I know I'm not an expert, but I understand just enough of it to know when statistics are being used wrong (hint: it's always easier to falsify science than it is to do the research), and that's all I'm seeing in this thread.
To quote someone who does, 98%±5% of spreadsheet users don't know what's happening.

EDIT: The entire herd-immunity argument is one that was made by the British government.
Anyone who's paid the slightest bit of attention knows that herd immunity doesn't work when there's no vaccine.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 2, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nothing about that article is surprising in any way, considering that the containment phase of the disease was dropped on the 11th of March, at which point the government switched to a mitigation strategy; something that is well-covered in both the previous and current report from sst.dk

EDIT: I'm curious, did you read the part where he explains, quite explicitly, that the alternative to what we're doing now is quarantine camps ala China and Diamond Princess off the coast of Japan, which are absolutely worse-case scenarios?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 2, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Also, since we are talking about statistics, the only dataset currently available which includes self-reported cases of possible COVID-19 seems to suggest that upwards of 50% of people who get COVID-19 are completely or almost asymptomatic.

Article above posted:

DeCODE, a subsidiary of US biotech company Amgen, has so far tested about 9,000 self-selected people.
"The results of the additional tests performed by deCODE have given an indication that efforts to limit the spread of the virus have been effective so far," the government wrote last week, adding "testing in the general population will continue to elicit a much clearer picture of the actual spread of the SARS-CoV-2 virus in Iceland."
Some of the revelations have been stark. Although fewer than 1% of the tests came back positive for the virus, the company's founder Dr. Kári Stefánsson told CNN that around 50% of those who tested positive said they were asymptomatic, confirming multiple studies that show that asymptomatic, or mildly symptomatic, people have played an important role in spreading the virus.
So that seems to suggest that WHOs containment strategy isn't exactly great, unless it's started early enough like South Korea and Japan did.

And yes, I absolutely get it - it would've been terrific if our governments had reacted to this as soon as possible. However, hindsight isn't going to get us anywhere.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 2, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

PederP posted:

Oh, I agree. I don't believe containment is a viable strategy in the long-term. I do believe containment/slowdown is the best strategy at this point, however, because we need more time to learn and prepare.

The reason I linked it is because he explicitly uses the term "herd immunity".

edit: I also worry that a lot of assumptions are being communicated as fact: "asymptomatics don't spread the disease". "48 hours after recovery you can no longer spread". "there is no risk form exposure when already infected". "food can't spread the disease". If/when some of these turn out false it will erode trust in the medical authorities. I realize they don't want to cause fear by admitting ignorance, but I think they should be open about this being a novel virus, and that assumptions may turn out incorrect.

In particular I'm worried at the lack of warning in regards to crowded indoor parties. We have a lot anecdotal evidence (and South Koreans claim actual evidence I believe) that these conditions are extremely conducive to spreading infection and getting a chunky viral load to boot. It's not good that people stay off the streets, parks and beaches if they're attending private parties instead.

I'm not asking for fearmongering, just a general caution that we don't really know everything about transmission yet, so people should be careful until we're wiser.
From what I've been able to put together based purely on their actions provided with what little I know, the Danish governments strategy seems to be to mitigate infections by limiting exposure through all of their current recommendations, and hope that the populace will accept that waiting for vaccines and cures to be developed.
That makes the "it's up to you whether you want the carrot, or you default to the stick"-speech I outlined earlier, along with the preparations for limiting gatherings to a maximum of 2 people make some amount of sense - because without that strategy, it doesn't seem to make sense why they would prepare for the worst and then make it up to the populace to self-police to this degree.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Admittedly I did forget to adjust the total number of infected based on our low growth rates, which massively cuts down on the number of deaths. Like:

DK: 34K
SE: 156K
NO: 10K

:v:
I would still love to see your work, your sources (although I'm pretty sure I can at least find those myself) - but more importantly, I'd love to know whether those numbers are means or medians, what your Student Ts are, and what the confidence is; ie. whether it's at 95% confidence or 50% confidence or 5% confidence.
All of that assumes that you've done due diligence and figured out your input data by plotting it against a sampling error of N (say, 1, as phk used, because we're dealing with such low numbers).

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm not sure why quarantine camps are an absolutely worst-case scenario?
They're the failed state of a mitigation strategy, ie. when mitigation doesn't work because people don't stay home. It ends you up with a lot more people being exposed, because of the number of false positives that end up getting exposed to much bigger virus load (assuming that matters, which it hasn't been proven to do for SARS-CoV2 leading to the COVID-19 disease).
That, in turn, results in a much bigger pressure on the healthcare system than an effective mitigation strategy.
It's still better than doing plain nothing - but only by degree, not by kind.

V. Illych L. posted:

quarantine camps entail a complete and likely irreversible departure from liberal governance so we are a bit uneasy about it
Also, 1042% this - I simply cannot imagine a democratic country like Denmark, or the other Scandinavian countries, doing this - although I'm uncomfortably aware that they might do it to people who they don't consider to be, in their words, "Scandinavian enough".
I'm pretty sure I just puked a little from even using those ugly words.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

What do you think will happen once this poo poo hits the foreign unperson camps?
:smith:

PederP posted:

This is a very dumb calculation. It's rather ironic to have CEPOS ignore the effects of the invisible hand in the economic downturn, and attributing to the government an ability to shutdown and revive the economy at-will. Yeah, reopening schools, cinemas, bars and hairdressers will bring back lost exports, convince companies across all sectors that they need to rehire everyone they fired, instill faith in consumers and reignite their spending habits, tourism will boom once more and noone will be worried about the risk of infection and stay the f... at home.

I know business and industry lobby organizations are desperate for a return to normal, but this just bizzare. Like Brian Mikkelsen suggesting cinemas could reopen with the provision that every other seat stay empty. They're in complete denial about the realities. Pathetic.
They're a think-tank, ie. a committee - the only known life-form to have many mouthes, just as many assholes, and no brain.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That sounds like a lot of work dude. I've presented my assumptions, people can take or leave the conclusions. I'm just presenting an alternative scenario to the rosy picture painted by authorities and saying things might get worse than they assume. I mean, it's not like the last few decades have given people much reason to trust the establishment to not just pretend everything is fine to protect number or to at least massively downplay an issue. See climate change, the Euro.
Their downplaying isn't outweighed by your overplaying it, though :shrug:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Alright, hadn't considered the false positives issue. I believe China has a three-tiered approach to confirming positives though, which should cut down on the number of false positives?
Only thing they tested for, as far as I've heard, was fever.