Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

McCloud posted:

It's done in the spirit of brotherly teasing :v:

Oh, we know all about brotherly teasing :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

Yeah, what happened with that?

Yeah, why is Norway still in NATO? Surely the peace tanks of Russia would otherwise leave them unmolested.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

You can try that tack if you like, but unless I missed it Norway and Sweden aren't any more invaded this year than last. Maybe it's coming over Easter when everyone is on holiday.

Sweden has always counted on geography, but Norway at least has a land border with Russia :ohdear:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I admit to poo poo-posting back there, but now you have me curious: Should Finland be a part of Russia, back as it was when Sweden shamefully lost deigned it so? Would this somehow better the security situation in Norway? What is the end result here? With the reminder that Sweden very much based their foreign policy during the Cold War towards keeping Finland an independent buffer zone.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Five: Ants. Ants are cool. I don't really want to be around them, because they have their own... Plans. But who didn't grow up with SimAnt?
Four: Bees. Oprah meme picture here.
Three: Little birds. gently caress you, that's an "animal" category. They make the loveliest songs, I love hearing them.
Two: Doggies. Dogs are great. Just don't abuse them, those dogs can get awful. Be nice to all doggies :unsmith:
One: Cats. This is like the free bingo, right? Cats are absolute assholes, but they're adorable. What's that Pratchett quote, if they looked like frogs, we'd like them a whole lot less?

Honorary shout-outs go to elephants and octopuses for being smarter than we are.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I feel like dolphins deserve a honorary spot for spending all their time playing around in the water.
We've only managed to build a civilization in order to give us a bit of leisure, but think of all the playtime and fun they've had.

Dolphins are rapists

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Crespolini posted:

Sort of. Cats find it easy to identify large quadruped mammals like cows or horses, and comparatively difficult to recognize a small bipedal mammal like their owners. Basically the smaller and less-legged something becomes, the worse it gets, until you have them unable to tell a cucumber from a snake.

This is why they're so often distant. They're not sure who you are, and sometimes think you're a hatrack. Or so the studies say, ofc.

Cite the studies please! I am curious about why my cat thought I were a hatrack, that sounds like a novel.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Beeswax posted:

Cats would defund all public libraries in a heartbeat if they could

I keep asking for citations but receiving none. What about the cats who live in Hemingway's home? Would they disapprove of public reading?

You might not write a lot with these guys around, but that doesn't preclude already existent books!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Get naked, scuttle on the floor, and poo poo out a huge tail-like turd.

The frog that did this is in the rap sheet of some posters, but I can't remember which. But no one wanted to see a huge tail-like turd anyway.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Which nations would you least like to hand over to Cthulhu?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

it feels as though something very terrible would happen if we tried to sacrifice iceland, so probably them

So much for that NATO umbrella :smith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

the magic of that isle is too powerful. it must be kept safe, even from the elder gods

Aww man, you're giving me those Colder War wibes now. All I wanted was to make a silly joke! Now Nyarlathotep is pointing and laughing at me! That is not good!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Finland has 2 main grocery chains and Lidl pushing at them at about a 10 percent market share, I haven't looked in a while but something to that order of magnitude. The grocery chains that do exist probably wouldn't take kindly to any kind of nationalization scheme (but then what capitalists would?) since they have the run of the pricing schemes and the like.

edit: and the grocery chains are very much in bed with our political class, so it's the worst of both worlds kind of situation there anyway!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

"Wokopalypse now" is at least kind of funny.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Feliday Melody posted:

So the Fins kicked out their heroic girl president? I thought that she was really cool.

Sauli is, well, not bad, but I don't think he identifies as a girl

And the person you are thinking of, Sanna of the leather jacket,

might not be out yet, since there is still a possibility of returning to "sinipuna", i.e. a coalition of the social democrats and Cock!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Feliday Melody posted:

I am so confused.

Finland ("fins" as you put it) elected our parliament yesterday. The Cock, which I suppose are the Ulf of "the fins", took the lead position. The "True Fins", as you might put it, came in second, they're a reactionary racist party and they might not play nice with the Cock. SDP, the social democrats, came in third, and it is possible they would go into a coalition government with the Cock, but this would be shameful to the Cock, so it's iffy. But the Cock also might not want to play with the reactionary populist "True Fins", because that too would entail embarrassment, so the lady you like (Sanna Marin, who was never president, but our prime minister) might have a shot at being in the government after all.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Feliday Melody posted:

Good for her, then.

She'd still be playing second fiddle to the Cock, and I'm not sure that's good for anyone. But we'll see.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Feliday Melody posted:

Good for her, then.

I have some sad news for you, the lady you thought was the Finnish president is abdicating her role as the head of the Social Democratic party.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Speaking as a Finn, what you are saying is we should all have learned French instead? :allears:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

ideally we could have had a less utterly provinicial attitude towards the yanks even without denying the basic geopolitical structure of the world, but your point is well enough made

i really do wish we could've taken a less silly country than the US to poorly copy, though

It's all ancient history now, but France actually was a sort of god-father to Finland during the Cold war, and president Kekkonen obviously admired de Gaulle. Because they were both political strong-men and tyrants? I leave as an exercise for the student.

In the broader scheme of things, I'm not sure what the alternative is. Due to the Cold war, the US spent a lot of money and effort on their media empire. So we all learned, as kids, to speak English. My svensk is certainly not on the conversational level, but it is my understanding that most scandi-folks revert to English anyway if there's a filthy Finn around.

Don't get me wrong, I loathe all the propaganda that is straight-up imported from the US to here. But I don't think all our public broadcasting companies can really effectively combat Hollywood, and so we are stuck with having Marjorie Taylor Greene's ideas as dinner table talk :eng99:

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 8, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I mean, you can't really expect us to speak Finnish...

Sure, Finnish is extremely difficult, but surely it's common knowledge that Finland has pakkoruotsi (obligatory Swedish learning)? Obviously it doesn't work very well, given that I've completed university level (mandatory) "Swedish for government workers" course and I could not have a conversation in Swedish, but it is there and has been since the 1960's.

English is just more convenient for everyone involved. Even if a lot of Finns have a definite rally-racer accent. I was once accosted by a Norwegian professor after a speech I gave at a conference, not about my science but he seemed somehow offended that I spoke English with a newscaster accent rather than "up in the rear end of Timo"-level speech.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm not suggesting we should!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Koos Group posted:

What would everyone say to having an IK for this thread? If you believe we should have one, do you have recommendations?

Would Nenonen be a bad guy for the job? He has buttons already for a different thread, and he can read Swedish from what I can tell.

And no, it is not lost on me how funny it'd be for a Finn to lord over Swedes :haw:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Inferior Third Season posted:

Blaming the foreigners for domestic problems and suggesting that denying them entry is the solution shows that you have what it takes to be IK of the Scandinavia thread.

Now, now. While this is a good entry point, we must also ascertain whether they have a huge pile of skulls for their racial theories.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Pip pip cheerio, we helped you hang that Quisling fellow, what an awful, torrid business that was, hm old chap? I say, we should get along just smashing!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

The women on the committee were definitely a step more formal than the men, business casual rather than casual causal. Smart blouse and dark slacks sort of thing.

"Lady, I can help you break causality any day of the week, if you know what I mean" he said, unfastening his tie in the Swedish manner

But seriously, good on you if it felt OK!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

What does an idiot poo poo-posting 88 have to do with NATO, exactly? In your opinion.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

NATO leadership was rife with nazis in the first few decades.

I've seen doctor Strangelove too, but surely you realize both sides, as it were, failed to de-nazify properly.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

There's probably a slight difference between using nazi scientists as forced labor and promoting them to Supreme Commander.

There probably is (and it seems slightly bizarre you seem to be indicating the former to be preferable), but you've still yet to explain what any of this NATO business has to do with an idiot posting he likes 88-memes on his social media.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Why wouldn't forced labor for Nazi scientists be preferable to promoting Nazis to high military positions?

I'm showing my anti-totalitarianism here, but I don't think forced labour is a good thing as a general principle. Of course PAPERCLIPPING guys like Wernher von Braun into high office is bad on its face, too, don't get me wrong.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's literally just prison for participating in crimes against humanity, except you get to at least pursue your love of science.

I suppose. But we are drifting off the point here, which was that some guy posting 88 memes on their facebook is an indictment of NATO, and then somehow we wound back to Wernher von Braun. I have a hard time following this line of reasoning.

edit: To be clear, that guy posting lovely nazi memes is an idiot and should be castigated and fired

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

The "shitposter" in question is a powerful, far-right minister in the Finnish government, representing more than a fifth of the electorate, and its parliament apparently confirmed that making "Heil Hitler" "jokes" with your far-right buddies is just fine for a government official. Finland also just joined NATO, which incidentally has a sordid history of employing high-ranking nazis in its leadership and creating nazi/fascist terrorist cells ("stay-behind armies") throughout Europe. hth

I know both of these things, but this still doesn't make the leap in logic comprehensible. Why does Finland joining NATO (during our previous government) and some loving moron posting nazi poo poo correlate, let alone make joining NATO a Nazi act? Or make NATO more Nazi, or whatever the gently caress this is supposed to be. Like, this does not help, at all, I'm sorry!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

I am conveying the news that a sitting, far-right minister in the Finnish government is a thinly-veiled nazi, that the Finnish parliament doesn't think this is grounds to dismiss him, and also making GBS threads on NATO by half-jokingly alluding to their going back to their roots: welcoming nazis. hth

I see now. Thanks, sorry for me being dumb!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

You're welcome. Sorry about your government.

Me too. But on the plus side, even our yellow press is saying the 88-moron nazi has to go, so maybe they won't be our government for that long? We shall see.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

jeebus bob posted:

LOL the Finnish nazi quit anyway

totally normal for a new administration to have a prominent minister survive a vote of no confidence and then resign within ten days. keep doing whatever you're doing :)

The Nazi made our fundamentalist Christian party upset with talks about eugenic abortions, which may have broke the camel's back

Our country is very dumb, and I'm sorry :(

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

Oh, our Jesus Christ party is in the coalition government too :dawkins101: But Kansallinen Kokoomus, aka "let's grind the poors into paste" party really, really wants to make deep cuts to our welfare system, so they are married to the looney-toons racist party (who, to be clear, are not the Jesus Christ party), and this is the result. After a couple of weeks! It'll be a wild 4 year ride.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

teen witch posted:

I get that it was a clearly leading question but Christ dude, how does anyone expect me to know that?

This is a task that is taught to young children, to be fair.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

You'll still be surrounded by Finns, though!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

BonHair posted:

What are they gonna do, stab you?

Österbotten is stereotypically one of the stab-happier places, yes :ese:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Groda posted:

Systembolaget is rad as gently caress

The little furry creature in its little Skinner box would say such a thing, wouldn't it

Let the ethanol flow free, Sven. The Finns are a diminishing minority by now, and them drinking themselves to death will make help with the population pyramid inverting itself anyway.

Can't have the funny herbs though, that makes baby Jesus diskutera with a very sad face!