Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

rkajdi posted:

Maybe the lesson to learn is diversify instead of double/triple up on stuff? This is something I see happening more often going forward if balance fixes are part of the errata documents. For instance, you'll hear stuff about Hellmouths if they either get more expensive or have reduced abilities to more closely align them with the current 6pt cost. Going all in on certain stuff as your only option in a category seems to leave you very vulnerable to balance fixes or just new stuff coming out to counter them. My plan was always a variety of stuff before I doubled back to get everything up to FA. Even the Skorne realignment didn't hurt too badly to my collection, so I feel this is the way to go to avoid disappointment.

I haven't played / thought about this game in about a year but this is basically what I did with Legion; got one of everything that looked cool and only doubled/tripled up on Forsaken and Shepherds because, well, they're Forsaken and Shepherds.

Is Proteus good now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

rkajdi posted:

He's at least decent. Legion is in a weird place for people, because they lost some fury control and now need some units to go along with beasts. Their lessers are also lolbad in general, so shredder swarms don't work anymore. So you might be a bit screwed if your plan was no or few units depending on your caster choice.

As long as Abby1 and 2 can still pull it off I should be okay. :ohdear:

"Beasts and nothing but beasts" is the whole reason I chose Legion in the first place, though, so I hope there are at least a few niches where it's viable.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

smug jeebus posted:

What kind of glue are people using for resin to metal? BSI's CA doesn't seem to be getting it done, but it's an older bottle.

I use Loctite Gel Control and mix a tiny bit of greenstuff in to help increase the contact area.

Sometimes I don't even need the greenstuff though, so it's not as if superglue just doesn't work.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Cross-posting from the mini thread now that I have something worth sharing:

Made a gribbly dragon monster. Also for some reason I'm craving sour gummi worms?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/wnhungerford/status/1401894738614128645

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Gorefiend posted:

That leaves Jason Soles as the main designer again and that guy sucks.

i kind of wanted to ask about this because i vaguely remembered reading about popular and unpopular designers on the game while i was catching up on the thread, but i couldn't remember who was who or why people felt that way

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I played my first game of MK3 -- I was running Abyslonia2 vs. my opponent's Crosse2, 25 points each using the Brawlmachine ruleset.

It was purely a tutorial game for teaching purposes, with both of us asking and being allowed to take stuff back or do things in different orders, but I'm still pretty proud of how it turned out -- my opponent hadn't played against Legion very much and underestimated Absylonia's ability to bring all her beasts in for an assassination run on her feat turn, so even though he'd been very careful to spread a bunch of Shield Guard units out to cover for his caster and block places where my beasts would want to land, I was able to clear most of them out with Zuriel and Craelix, tag his Warcaster with Zuriel's sprays, and then finish him off with my Neraph.

(He'd anticipated the Neraph being used for this but hadn't realized how much of a threat Zuriel was going to be -- and for my part I barely knew what Zuriel did myself until I went to attack with him, read his card, and went "jesus christ".)

I got complimented on how well I played for a new player and I'm looking forward to playing more games on the LoS Discord server -- there was one guy being weird in general chat the day I first arrived, but that seems to have been an aberration, overall the community is really friend and helpful.

e: I played almost entirely with models I own in real life, but I don't have Craelix and definitely want to pick him up. As absolutely disgusting as Zuriel is and much as he was the real star of the show, Craelix also seems really good at clean-up for his very modest point cost, and he's potentially free in-theme.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 14, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Serenade posted:

It's worth noting that a board game can't really "die" as long as you find someone to play. I've never really had the flgs warmachine presence but that didn't stop me from playing warmachine with friends.

It does suck that it's less popular and that does make it harder, but not impossible.

i've pretty much resigned myself to WMH being a game i play on the internet and then also i paint figures from the same setting

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Raerlynn posted:

Speaking of this, is Vagrant still the standard here? Or is there a more popular platform nowadays?

https://wartable.online/ is what i use. maintained by the same people who run the WMH University wiki/discord and the Line of Sight podcast

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Legion of Everblight speaks to me more than Tyranids ever did. Everblight himself being a juvenile narcissist screaming "gently caress YOU DAD! I'M A DRAGON!" is the funniest poo poo in the world and much as Proteus is basically a swole Lictor, I like him better than the model they stole from. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

poseable minis in a wargame sounds like a nightmare but i really enjoy messing with that stuff in the few cases where you do have options

like the old Shredder packs where there are like 4 subtle variations of body/leg combinations and you have a lot of freedom to attach the legs at different angles

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

lmao drat, is there a single Legion warbeast that didn't get buffed

a good day to be a fan of dragon monsters

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the stubborn refusal among wargame companies to embrace a digital implementation of their game (or in PP's case, making an unbelievably lovely one where assembling an army cost about as much as it does in real life and then abandoning it when they realize nobody's going to play that lmao) was always stupid but the pandemic really puts a special kind of shine on it

at least warmahordes has pretty decent virtual tabletop support... made third-party by a couple of enthusiastic fans, naturally

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

rantmo posted:

Wartable is pretty great but also I'm not sure how one would play it without having the War Room app, unless you printed out all the stat stuff off of Warmachine University or something. I've got a war gaming buddy who's always been interested in Warmachine and would probably try out Wartable but short of a $95 app purchase, I don't know how user friendly it would be.

i mostly use it to play the army i actually own :v:

but also yeah you've kind of answered your own question? stat cards aren't even piracy any more, you can use the wiki or just literally go to PP's website and get a free PDF of whatever unit stats you want. just costs money to get it on your phone, specifically, for some reason, but if you're using Wartable you're probably playing from a PC anyways

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

e: nevermind, their on-site explanation of what's behind a sub and what's not cleared things up

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 26, 2022

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i mean it definitely is but nobody's going to turn up their nose at wargame news either

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i love chonky mech but not enough to spend money on a company that is actively self-destructing

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hipster Occultist posted:

I'm curious, how many gonns here think that PP can/will pull this off and return Warmachine to at least a fairly-popular game? Maybe not the heights of Mk2 popular, but a game that has its own fairly healthy ecosystem and competitive circut.

No judgement, just curious how folks are generally feeling about the future, not nessecarily about their current misteps/woes.

I enjoy the game as a game but like 90% of my play time has been by virtual tabletop, so I'm basically "unaffected" if old models become impossible to find apart from losing out on getting to paint them. I do wonder if I'll still be able to find people to play MK3 with or if everyone who does stick around is going to migrate, but I also haven't really played any MK4 yet; maybe when my faction actually exists it'll be fun. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

if a game isn't deep enough to remain interesting without constant external loving around with balance, it's a bad game. if a game is deep enough to remain interesting without that (and relatively fair, perfect parity not really needed or expected) then all that stuff is doing is introducing false feedback that makes the game harder to master

like it's not a feature, it's an ugly side effect of the game(s) being endless content mills so you'll keep buying minis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

cyriss and everblight are my two favorite factions, but yeah, that is a really ugly color scheme. models themselves seem all right, i guess?