Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
The 'tusks' are killin' me. Why is it so hard to get them consistent across the Titan species?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
We just had our second week of JM start today, which was convenient because we also went up by fifteen and I was able to add a Mad Dog and Berserker (which the forum software doesn't seem to think is an actual word?) Question came up: If my last jack is a 'zerker chassis, kills the other player's last Warbeast/jack, and explodes, is it a draw?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

albany academy posted:

So the ragers gladius looks like a kid sharpened an eraser into the passing resemblance of a sword and I hate it. Thinking about converting it to something a little more threatening.
Found this guy, who seems pretty sweet, any thoughts on where the sword is from?

Sorry, don't know where the sword from the pic is, but the normal gladius looks a bit better if you flip it around in his hand and have him wield it like a dagger.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

chutche2 posted:

Also that makes me wonder, what would happen if you gave a monstrosity an orgoth blade?

It would struggle to use a blade that small, I reckon.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
How are Fennblades in mk3? I like the look of them, might two max units be viable?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Thanks for the thoughts on the Fenns guys. I'll probably wait for the book to drop before I pick anything up.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
It's Mom. She destroys you by being withholding.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Can I have his stuff?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
No Benders, either. Every Cephalyx except the Mind Slavers & Drudges & Overlords has the Limited Employment rule.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Speaking of that Dracodile, I really hate the way the scales on the arms and legs just come to an abrupt stop at the body.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
If it helps, I have the rule books and a card deck for a U.S. goon that can pony up :10bux:.

Edit: taken. Unless you want some Workaholics DVDs?

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 28, 2017

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Where are you guys seeing these? Asking for a friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EF6kB9q4vg

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Oh I got the impression there were actual pics. Thanks for the link anyway, though.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
You sure would think so, but alas

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

koreban posted:

The Guerilla Miniatures Gaming guy had a Top5 list of games in need of new edition updates in 2019, and his #1 was WMH. His opinion was that it needed to be allowed to grow from a skirmish game into the mass combat game that it's slowly been morphing into, and I'm not entirely in disagreement with him. I think it should retain rules of skirmish size games, but for the size of factions and the breadth of unit options (plus colossals), it needs to go up in size and support 6x4 board play and a 40k 8th edition-style streamlining of the rules.

I'm not sure that this is anything that me or my friends want, but I'll roll it around in my head for a while. Thanks for the youtube channel though, it looks pretty good.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
PP already does do all that stuff though

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

S.J. posted:

The new CEO is probably not going to change anything as far as the games focus on competitive play, but Riot Quest is an excellent way to introduce more casual players without having to change that.
The only thing that riotquest is at the moment is more evidence that PP doesn't take any of their games besides WM/H seriously.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Maneck posted:

Calling it 3.5 would be warranted.

The new Ravens of War theme is nice.

A Legion "Theme" that actually has a theme. No idea whether this will be good, but there's nice changes all over the place and it seems to have a coherent design philosophy.

It's a theme that stresses speed but includes a unit that can't move

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I read the rules and this looks like a really sweet middle ground between WM & Monsterpocalypse. Any tips on convincing all of my friends who dropped out of WM/H to spend $70 on six models?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Are the Orgoth involved at all?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Depends, do you play against pedants often?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
In that case only if you want to. I recommend using the one with the little Skaven Khador symbol.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Anyone able to advise on Infernals? I got a good deal on some Howlers and will getting the army box, but anything else I should start with?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I know back in my early 20's my friend and I decided we were going to make our version of MTG, and after playing once we decided it sucked.
Good on you for recognizing that and not kickstarting it anyway

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I really have to doubt that GW considers PP enough of a threat at this point to adjust their release schedule around them.

e: I may have misunderstood the post. Oh well.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Woo got mine, I know one other person who bought in

E: Was a solo alternate and a void gate pair included free? Because I have twice as many of these as I thought I was getting

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 26, 2020

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I too am scratching my head over magnetizing the warjack. My experience is that magnets don't work that great anyway, and i'm wondering if friction fit pins will do the job.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
At least half of our local community gave up on WM/H shortly after Mk 3 dropped, including most of my closest friends who went on to try Guild Ball and Legion. a handful backed Warcaster and it's neat, but every one was floored by how fast the second kickstarter dropped and not everyone was able to kick in another $100+ so soon. I don't expect PP to fail or anything; Wyrd and Infinity have shown that you can be pretty niche and just exist without pulling down GW numbers.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
It's sort of a streamlined Warmachine, with some twists, this is my take after playing one game, fyi:
Alternate(ish) activation.
You can summon (and re-summon non-charcter) units back to the field, looks like you'll never have your entire army on the field so list flexibility is good and you can adjust strategy on the fly sorta.
Magic is a lot simpler with a limited deck of cards, generally you can only cast each spell once per game.
Warjacks feel real strong because they got lots of weapons and can fire them all unlike most units, so that's good.
Dice system is closer to Monpoc's, kind of on the fence about it.
No engaged/engaging so consequently no free strikes or locking down in melee. This one shook me the most but it ends up advantaging WJs which I like.
No plastics besides bases(so far), not really a rules thing but I'm guessing PP is done with new plastic kits (biggest units in WC are 3 models so far.)
Feels less 'hard counter' driven than WM/H felt sometimes, which is a definite thumbs up from me.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

MCPeePants posted:

Can you convince me the game is good? I was really excited for it, and would love to be again, but the one demo game left my opponent and I completely cold. Gameplay was extremely foreign, and we definitely learned things that would have made further games more fun, but it was such a slog we never touched it again. My issues, as I remember them:
I'd love a skirmish game, I like enough of the models, and the mechanics sounded really neat on paper, but I just did not enjoy it. I would be delighted to have my mind changed though.
You didn't address me specifically, but I know everyone is holding their breath for my thoughts so:
1: Yes, that's an argument for not killing every model, but a unit of one can still grab objectives and drop gates.
2: You might be right that units are not broadly balanced; I'm not sure yet. I do think the expectation of the designers is that more specialized units will be held until they are useful or not even get played in every game.
3: It took us 3 hours for our first game but got faster as we got used to it. I'm sure clocks will come out if we ever get tournament play.
4: Kind of ambivalent about this one, too.
At this point I just want dece models and to hang out with my friends; I've given up on the quest for the perfect game, and this one seems good enough to throw another Benjamin or two at.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Is there a TLDR version of this stuff that just hits the major events without pages of dialog?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
What kind of glue are people using for resin to metal? BSI's CA doesn't seem to be getting it done, but it's an older bottle.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Thanks for the glue help, I just persisted with the CA and it worked eventually.

Aside from that, has anyone seen a clarification how vehicle heroes are added to the army? The rules say 15 slots for units + 3 slots for hero soloes, which vehicles are not. It's not clear to me if you can take more than 3 heroes or not, for now I'm limiting myself to three and assuming the the vehicle hero takes up a unit and hero slot for now.

Also, does anyone know where the card pdf went? I would have sworn there was one on the KS but I can't find it now. I have no idea what anything outside MW does.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Glad to see this thread get lively again, bummed that it's just the grymkin version of PBF's skub comic

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

rantmo posted:

PP dropped the price for what looks to be the early bird all-in pledge for next week's Warcaster KS and it's eye watering at $200. One Cadre box, the book, and four Wild Card Heroes. It's not like I'm not going to pledge, because I'm a loving mark, but I'll be interested to see what the gently caress the price of the Cadre boxes and book are to necessitate that price tag. Maybe it's part of their way of dealing with uncertain shipping costs?
Went in on the first two, but that makes it easier to pass on this one. Both of the people I know who picked it up are never around for a game anyway.

quote:

On a vaguely related note, does anyone still have the documents from the first two campaigns with all the model stats? I had them during the campaign but either deleted them entirely or renamed them or something stupid and I can't find them. I'm trying to convince my two wargamer friends to start playing and being able to share the details of, y'know, the game would be damned helpful.
I've tried to find these as well without success, and for the same reason. Just absolutely baffling and frustrating.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Indeed, looks like it could do better than Collision Course. Can you buy Add-ons with a $1 pledge? I just want an Outrider.

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 14, 2021

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Yeah I'm looking forward to Warcaster 2.0

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Don't forget that Cryx also had a handful of just plain generic undead in the Banes, although I do agree that Cygnar wasn't really any more coherent as a faction.
This is all reminding me of how disappointing the initial release of the allies units were. Aside from the Cephalyx, they were some of the blandest medieval fantasy figures I'd ever seen at a time when I thought they were doing a pretty good job overall of standing out.
Also on the subject of theme, I always felt like cavalry was a mistake as well. I didn't go out of my way to read a ton of the background or RP material, but what I did read never seemed to mention horses, and I grew attached to the idea of a world without them, like the 'jacks made them obsolete in this universe, or maybe they didn't exist at all. I can see how adding them helped expand the line and create some new tactical options, but it made the world a little less special as well.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Hey remember when they replaced the wonderful metal sculpts for the axer, impaler and bouncer with plastics that were hot garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
At least the Centurion got a real spear