Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Fyrbrand posted:

From the giant ridiculous HHH to the smallest solo I own, :hellyeah:

This looks great. How did you accomplish the glow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

lokipunk posted:

Guy quitting because "themes is cancer"

As someone just getting started, I have trouble with theme forces. Their use doesn't seem optional.

For the price of restricted unit list, you bet a bonus ~15% points in a 75 point game. That's calculated including the warlock bonus.

That's the view from someone who hasn't played a game. Maybe in practice the restrictions really do balance out the bonus points?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Alpha Phoenix posted:

They don't.

It's a game design tactic to improve balance by reducing the number of variables in competitive play by unofficially breaking the game into subfactions.

You can technically play out of tier, but it's not really viable, and they can put strict restrictions on tier composition.

This is the DesignSpace we were warned about.

Edit: I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, even though I personally don't like it. If, say, Hand of Judgement is considered broken with Malekus, they don't need to nerf HoJ or Malekus. They separate them by tiers and keep both models strong.

My flgs has a mix of casual and competitive players, and "are you playing in tier or not" has become shorthand for "how competitive a game are we playing"

Seriously? Then why is Privateer Press selling things like this https://store.privateerpress.com/legion-of-everblight-army-box-2017 It's actually advertised as "the quickest and easiest way to storm the battlefields" but pre-made army kit contains:
- Thagrosh, Prophet of Everblight Warlock
- Carnivean Heavy Warbeast
- Scythean Heavy Warbeast
- Blighted Nyss Swordsmen Unit (10)
- Blighted Nyss Swordsman Abbot & Champion Command Attachment (2)
- Strider Scouts Unit (6)
- Strider Scout Officer & Musician Command Attachment (2)
- Blighted Nyss Shepherd Solo
- Incubus Solos (5)

The Blighted Nyss Swordsmen and incubus can only be taken in Children of the Dragon, the Carnivean, Scythean and Blighted Nyss Sheperd only be taken in Oracles of Annihilation, Striders and can only be taken in Ravens of War.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

S.J. posted:

Dude I'm pretty sure those boxes were released before the vast majority of themes were released anyways. They were mostly mirroring the similarly priced all in one boxes from a year or two earlier.

SirJoeKCB posted:

It also predates themes as they exist now.

My copy of the 3rd Ed. Forces book for Everblight includes themes and was first printed in 2016. The army box is from 2017 (see the link). It seems this army box never made sense.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

It's pretty inevitable in a 15 year old game. The model release bloat has to keep rolling to stay in business, but the more good models that exist, the more unpredictable combinations crop up. Factions have triple or more the number of options that they had in mk1, and since PP is dedicated to keeping new models balanced and interesting (or at least unique), they need to reign it in by creating a system where a Circle wold army is utterly unique from a beast spam Circle army, which is nearly unique from an infantry Circle army. To their credit, the worst models in Warmachine are still playable, and the faction balance is nearly perfect. Other games just let old models be bad and literally unplayable.

The current iteration of tiers makes a subfaction split is technically optional, since there has been great outcry over "invalidating models" in the past. It lets them add new models that could have broken combinations without worrying as much.

!Klams posted:

I do feel like this can't really be stressed enough. Like it's not an absolutely perfect situation, but it's close enough that you can say this and no one will argue with you. Which is basically unheard of?

It's great to hear that once I have an army, the gameplay will be well balanced. On the other hand, 15 years worth of models split amongst subfactions is why boxed armies for new players are needed. But this army box does not fill that role and boy do I feel dumb for not cross checking the box against the codex (I bought them at the same time).

albany academy posted:

Or because not playing in theme is fine for casual play.

I'm sure I'll get some use out of it for casual play. It seems like around here most people play in tournaments and Privateer Press expressly markets this for competitive play and tournaments:

Privateer Press posted:

Whether you're a new player of a seasoned veteran taking up a new Faction, this Army Box contains everything you need to quickly field a complete and competitive army suitable for every battlefield engagement - from casual games at home to organized leagues and tournaments.

albany academy posted:

Idk probably because it gives people incentive to buy for multiple themes rather than just one

albany academy posted:

Or it gives a solid starting point to branch off into themes...

I assumed this was a one off turd that I stepped on, rather than a deliberate and mercenary effort. I've heard nothing but praise for Privateer Press from players, so I'll assume they let the intern put this box together and keep slogging.

Jimmy Hats posted:

Its probably because the sales side and the game side have no fuckin idea what the other one is doing

This makes sense.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Iceclaw posted:

Kind of wish there were actual catch all themes in all factions. Legion especially suffers from that as you can't play its two big things together: Carniveran chassis and other ground beasts, and Nyss.

As a new player, precisely this point blew me away once I figured out that themes really aren't optional.

Edit: May as well take another dig at the Everblight army boxed set. It features Nyss and a Carniveran. Boo.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 7, 2018

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Nighttheii posted:

Finished up the Boil Master and Spirit Cauldron. I hadn't noticed the little details on his belt when I got the model: hands, grapes, salt & pepper, lizards. Normal soup ingredients.

Grapes in soup? Gross.

Lovely job on the models.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 25, 2018

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Got my hands on a mark 1 rulebook. Privateer Press had a, uh, interesting take on how to market the game at first.

:yikes:

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Nix that "at first" qualifier. The above is actually from a redone version of the first rule book. Circa 2006.

The conversation about "marketing an aggressive game" versus "insulting more than half of your potential customers for no reason" must have come some time between then and the second edition.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Honestly surprised they didn’t slap a pair of truck nuts on the Juggernaut.

“Baaaaaaaallllssss and dicks and more baaaallllssss”

Lol how did this game ever get off the ground?

Social media was in its infancy? They had time to fix themselves before suffering a righteous (and just) smiting.

Zalabar posted:

Page 5 was kind of a meme in Mark 1; every anthology book had one. I think the Pirates book didn't get it... and maybe Legends?

It was a big enough deal there were threads complaining about it's absence during Mark II's launch.

Those people are still shrieking threats about leaving the hobby. GW announced a launch of kids books. As illustrated, the characters were ethnically diverse. Which, according to idiots, is unrealistic in a game universe with 1,000,000 plus human worlds. :jerkbag:

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Nighttheii posted:

Cross-Posting my June Oath. My Menoth is fully painted for Champions at L&L next weekend!

The Gators were just to keep things lively between all these Idrians, Deliverers and gold trim on paladins.

These are very nice.

Also, you paint fast.

Also, picture two is amazing because the way a wooden hammer is being held in front of a gator, it looks like he's playing an accordion.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

PaintVagrant posted:

Hey warmachine folks, I just listed a ton of my Menoth and a few other things on ebay. Some good deals here. I have some skorne Ill be posting soon.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/buy_my_minis_plz/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Unless they sold hilariously fast, I don't think they listed properly.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

mp5 posted:

I didn't realize these were yours. I bought a couple of these lots and was seriously considering others I even already had max units of.

Out of what's left I'm interested in some combinations of the warjacks, but nothing's quite right for me in the combinations they are listed.

I bet they'll sell before too long though

Oh, I see how it is. He hates Canadians.

Understandable, actually. The Canadian customs system is designed to be a pain in the rear end as a means of keeping our monopolistic retail establishments afloat.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Jimmy Hats posted:

I know a dude who went/is going down to the states to a con just to spend 3000 dollars on crucible guard

The best part is the battle engines look like complete rear end and you have to buy 3 of them to play them

Are you in Canada too then?

Didn't even realize those models have been released already. No pictures on the internet.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Jimmy Hats posted:

I think the release is tomorrow at the big event

E: yup, canada. Anything that has a USD price is unbuyable based on the currency conversion imo

I've always found customs brokerage fees to be the biggest issue with USD purchases. Which is hilarious because I am about 90% sure there is no government tariff on miniatures kits. Notwithstanding that, because models are almost always valued at greater than $20, someone has to fill out the paperwork to confirm that no duty is owed. So buying on ebay effectively doubles the shipping cost in order for the Canadian government to collect no revenue.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Jimmy Hats posted:

Our store bought a bunch of game mats for us to play with, has at least 1 of everything in the entire line in stock at like msrp + 5%, and sells cans of pop for 1 canadian dollar. (approx 12 cents usd)

Sorry about your thing

Which one is that fellow Ottawan?

I'm near to Fandom II but their Warmahordes stock is limited and scattershot. I've been going to Out-of-the-Box when I actually want to buy a model.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Jimmy Hats posted:

Are you in the facebook group?

It should pop up if you search for ottawa gatineau warmachine club

I joined a couple weeks back. Still working on painting up my first Hordes models. Hopefully I'll be able to make it out on the occasional Tuesday starting later this summer.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Good to know. I started back into the hobby for the modeling painting side of things. I'd forgotten what a slow painter I am.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

For_Great_Justice posted:

It sucks. I just don't enjoy 40k since its either flood the board with bodies till you time out or set down a gun line an point at stuff till its off the board. Theres issues in any game but at least in wmh if I charge its speed + 3 not d6 an pray. After suffering overwatch even if you don't make it.
"Sucks" is unfair.

40k has the best lore in the business. They have superb miniatures that invite brave customization. And for possibly the first time in their history, they've got someone running GW who makes sound (profit driving without being pointlessly chintzy) business decisions. It's a testament to how bad GW business practices have been that modest improvement has brought a flood of people back to the hobby. 40k does not have and never has had well thought out rules. They're usually not even sane. The current edition is actually pretty good by historical standards. It's obviously not built for tournaments and the rules don't do well in that setting. But that's not what the game is about for 99% of people who play.

When I came back to the hobby I went to 40k first because that's what I played before I quit. It was a shock to find that game's in a healthy place right now.

The reason I looked to Warmahordes a few months thereafter? It's not because of anything GW was doing wrong. It's what Warmahordes has been doing right. There's a healthy local presence here, including non-weekend game nights that I might possibly be able to make it to in the future. Models are actually in stock for purchase. The entire third edition has been designed to allow instant balance when the game developers miss something. And the War Room app puts everything else in the hobby to shame.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Iceclaw posted:

Yeah, I'd take a raincheck on that best lore thing if I were you. 40k is pretty much the thing* it started out as a parody of, now.

No doubt some writers have missed the satire. But that doesn't diminish the stuff that works.

Last night I had drinks with a guy who has never played a miniatures game or even owned a model. And he was huge into 40k. Reads the books, websites, knows obscure lore. That didn't strike me as unusual. 40k has a pop culture presence which, afaik, no other miniatures game has.

What's your take on who does lore and setting better?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Jimmy Hats posted:

I mean, the rules to warmachine are also pretty loving dumb, from a pure logic standpoint. The trick is to never think about anything and smash dollies together

Abstraction is the basis for the genre. There's lots of silliness, but hopefully it's fun silliness. The second part of your post is why I love Warmahordes (while looking forward to my first game). It is palpable that the rules are constructed with the understanding that the goal is to slam monsters and robots into each other. Two dice rolls plus math per attack.

By comparison, a 40k attack requires: roll 1D6 to hit based on your stats, roll 1D6 to wound based on your stats compared to his stats, he rolls 1D6 to save based on his stats modified by your stats, roll 1D6 for damage based on your stats, he rolls 1D6 for each wound based on his stats. 40k 8th is the simplest and probably best rule set for 40k, but GW is still conflating "requires no math" with "simple".

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

koreban posted:

I’ve been out of WMH since shortly after the 3rd edition dropped. The playerbase in my area just evaporated. 8th ed 40k saw a complete resurgence in my circles and I was watching people sell off their WMH armies for twenty cents on the dollar.

I guess miniature games are niche enough that a few active players switching games is enough to drop below critical mass. Around here there seems to be way more support for PP games as compared to GW. It might change in the future.

For_Great_Justice posted:

Gw has been heading in a better direction but I want them to have a 40k that isn't a mess that is hell to set up. They put out skirmish games then quickly abandon them. Their paints an hobby supplies are shoddy an over priced. Their paint bottles just suck. They're made to waste paint an washes so you have to replace them. I could go on but it doesn't matter. Gw has won.

I confess to being legitimately excited to see how Kill Team turns out like. GW promised two years of support. Based on their last fiscal year end they have the resources to do it.

Hopefully both GW and PP will see the light on paint squeeze bottles.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

S.J. posted:

There's some irony there because MWH has had consistent casual play support for quite some time with narrative leagues, one every quarter IIRC, but if you can't convince the people who show up (and those people are very focused on tournament play) then it won't really matter. I'm pretty fortunate to be somewhere where even the people who care the most about playing in tournaments still wanna bust out their random bullshit casters that they love but don't get to play.

I had absolutely not figured out that Warmahordes has narrative league support. Good stuff.

Am I right in concluding it's done via No Quarter? If so, I guess I'll have to wait and see what changes they're making for subscriptions.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

S.J. posted:

I'm gonna be honest with you: that had nothing to do with it. Everyone in the know has known for a very long time that the PG program was going to go away sooner or later, for the same reason that the old GW Outriders program went away: taxes. Selling OP product to stores is very different than giving merchandise to volunteers.

In that if the gifts were seen as payments to employees, they would have to pay minimum wage plus payroll taxes?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
It's going to be a low model count game, isn't it?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I didn't understand that discussion. Better read the rules again.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Has anyone much experience with the Privateer Press licensed Battle Foam? I ordered two oversize medium trays. The models I wanted to put in them don't fit because of a mismatch between the advertized dimensions and what they produce.

My first instinct was that I mismeasured the models. But when I checked the trays themselves, what they bill as

quote:

50 mm thick tray with 12x (70 x 50 mm) cut outs and 4x (76 x 44 mm) cut outs.

Actually seems to be 12 x (67 x 48 mm) and 4x (75 x 46). And yes, those 3mm make all the difference.

I need to fit Blighted Ogrun Warspears in, so the holes being slightly undersized works as long as I can make an appropriate cut for their back pack spears to slide into. Anyone have experience doing that? Suggestions on how to do it without mucking up relatively expensive pieces of foam are appreciated.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 24, 2018

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Jimmy Hats posted:

I am buying a judicator for 60 canadian bux (11.36 usd) looks like!!!!!

That's a very good deal.

dexefiend posted:

My auction ends in a little more than 12 hours... if anyone wants a deal on nearly the entire Convergence of Cyriss line.

Too bad about the no shipping to Canada.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
PP has the worst shipping to Canada. The $60 mystery box has $40 in shipping charges. From a company head quartered an hour and a half from the border.

So I'm going to assume it would be $240 worth of a single character or FA2 model.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Jimmy Hats posted:

Warmachine mark 3 required a 100 dollar war room purchase to upgrade your cards (digitally). Your physical cards came in 20 dollar faction decks which were obsolete less than a year later. Everything is garbage but in the direct comparison of who is less garbage FFG is going to beat PP and affiliates the vast majority of the time.

The bitterness about the mk3 faction decks and the army books is easy to justify. With the direction PP was going with mk. 3 anything that had the rules in print was going to have a pointlessly short shelf life and they did not tell people that. There must have been a disconnect between PP's merchandising guys and the rules guy (see also me in the thread two months ago figuring out that the Legion army box is a not great buy for new players since it pretends themes don't exist).

But now all the cards are available online for free from PP. Warroom is $100 - for all the cards. Individual armies cost $10 I think? Warroom itself blew my mind coming from GW land (who also just pulled the buy models you don't want to get cards you need thing for Kill Team).

So as bad a move as PP made at the start of mk 3, they seem pointed in the right direction.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

head58 posted:

When they first announced these boxes I thought they were clearing out the unsellable inventory - single-kit colossals, Kossites, Skorne, etc. But that doesn’t seem to be the case. They didn’t promote this as a way to get into a faction. What the heck are they doing?

Taunting Canadians. They offer up a tantalizing, reasonably priced mystery box whose price doubles when being shipped to Canada. MAGA indeed.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

MetricUnit posted:

Isn't that true for most (non-Cryx) factions? They have one bonkers theme and the rest of kinda meh?

It was before my time, but as I understand it there's lingering Legion bitterness over a nerf to Oracles of Annihilation. PP bumped the threshold for free models up to 30 points from 25 for balance purposes. Some believe that immediately after, PP buffed other themes to put them in the same place Oracles of Annihilation had been in.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

S.J. posted:

Good! Good. Because Satyrs are the GOAT

Goatest of all time?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Jimmy Hats posted:

60 bucks + 300 shipping

Still better than ebay.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

mp5 posted:

Yes, incite is literally everything attacking an enemy model that is in the caster's command range

Almost everything. It's "faction friendly", so no minions.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The first few models I put together were from the Hordes Mk. II starter set (got it cheap) appeared to be polystyrene. Plastic glue worked well. The current starter sets (or at least the Legion one) uses a different plastic and plastic glue mostly just makes a mess.

Now use super glue and pinning for large pieces, super glue gel for the small stuff (the quick set time is worth it for fiddly little bits that can't be vised).

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The non-PT Legion themes should get revisited at the same time but it would be a big project. Each suffers from (probably related) conceptual problems that make using them difficult. At its core, they all suffer from anti-synergy.

Children of the Dragon is ostensibly the Nyss theme and it seems like the bonuses should apply to Nyss and free models come from taking units. Instead, bonus points come from Warbeasts. Bad Warbeasts. The free models from taking the bad warbeasts don't include Forsaken, and mostly will compliment Nyss units. Which sets up an anti-synergistic tension between getting free models by taking Warbeasts and getting the most from the free models by taking Nyss.

Ravens of War is supposed to by the fast, flighty theme. It gives free models based on units taken and the units aren't great. I guess that's why the completely stationary Hellmouth was added to this theme?

Oracles of Annihilation doesn't get a lot of complaints. It's supposed to be the caster unit theme, but it doesn't give points towards free models for taking caster units. Historically it worked because it allowed for unrestricted Warbeast lists (which ignored the caster theme entirely). Now it sort of works for casters in that war engines now count towards free models too.

None of this is to say that any of these Themes are bad - rather, the point is that there's a disconnect between the Theme and the rules which implement the Theme. They should each be recast to synergize with the supposed theme of the Themes, and Warbeasts should be broken out of Oracles and put in a Theme of their own.

Editorial edits.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 13, 2018

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I bought the Elsa inspired Lanyssa Ryssyl from mini-crate because I thought it was an awesome mini. Still waiting on the mini.

The credit card bill, however, has now arrived. Privateer Press has Canadian and American subscriptions. Being a Canadian, I went with the Canadian subscription. I assumed based on the modest premium over the US price that it was in CAD. That was incorrect. They have a Canadian subscription, in USD. And it costs more than the European subscription.

Privateer Press is headquartered in Bellvue Washington, an hour and a half from the Canadian border. :psyduck:

This isn't an isolated thing for them. Every Canadian store I used is having huge supply issues with them. That mysterybox deal was a hilarious rip off for Canadians because they have no idea how to ship to Canada.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Give it to me straight thread, how badly did I gently caress up in buying this Grymkin book that appears to be mostly fluff and no real model info?

There's a solid case for the Grymkin book being the best one. The other books are half stats and rules, most of which are now out-of-date.

If you need the rule cards, just go here: https://cards.privateerpress.com/

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

This is absolutely fantastic. You're not kidding about the pro part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

MCPeePants posted:

http://privateerpress.com/content/privateer-press-welcomes-bob-watts-as-new-chief-executive-officer

I don't know much about company structure or this dude, but that sounds like a pretty solid move.

This was long overdue. Look at what happened to Games-Workshop when they brought in an outside, corporate guy to run the business.