Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I haven't played WMH in a while, but I am curious about how Mk3 is treating the Mercenaries. How does Ashlynn look? Did Roulette survive, or did we get another way to piss people off to compensate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Crazy Ferret posted:

Just to chime in as well since Ashlynn has always been a personal favorite. She more or less stayed the same, gaining 1inch reach on her sword but losing Quick Draw, and the exact same spell list/feat. She is really waiting for a new Merc Solo I think to be competitive. A character named Major Harrison Gibbs who will give all Llaelese models within CMD7 inches of him Feign Death and Reposition 3, as well as once per game Heal All Boxes in 7inchs. Feign Death with Ashlynn think will really help one of the easiest ways to kill her, and Reposistion 3 is just icing on the cake.

The rest of Mercs just got better in general. Our jacks are cheap and hit harder than ever. Most solos got nice buffs, especially the snipers, and the units are a bit more interesting with some exceptions. Right now we cannot take ATGM cause Themes are not out, but they provided us with Thorn Gun Mages which are Llael specific gun mages. They are very legit with a ROF 2 POW 10 gun with an Star Ability called Both Barrel that lets you make one attack at +4 Damage. They have Black Penny, Thunderbolt and Incendiary Rune Shots, so you basically light a whole bunch of infantry on fire with them

Mercs are great now! I posted some Battle Reports a few pages ago with Epic Magnus and Bartolo, each using 5+ Warjacks in each list, if you want an idea how efficient our Warjacks got. Good to see you back in the thread. I will try to get some Ashlynn games in, with a proxy Gibbs, to see how Ashlynn made out.

Thanks for weighing in! I was always into Llael so it's cool to hear they got their own gun mages at last. Not Amethyst Rose, though?

Did they do anything to help out some of the weaker solo/units that never got to the table? Like Blythe and Bull or Rutger & Taryn?

Devil Dogs get any love?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Crazy Ferret posted:

Blythe and Bull got better, getting Prey (which I'm pretty sure they did not have before but I never used them) and are pretty cheap at 6 for a D3 Beatback, Crit Knockdown gun.

Blythe had Hunstman which I think was a similar but unique to them? It sounds like they have gotten cheaper overall, which was always the sticking point for using them, so that's a help.

quote:

Rutger, and all Jack Marshals, got better by a new host of rules for them. There were a lot of changes so it is better just to point you at the Insider that discussed them. I'm still neutral on Jack Marshals for Mercs (other factions love the changes) as we have some strange interactions with our Warjacks and the new Marshal rules. Its like I cannot find a Marshal and Jack that I want to be together, especially with the Powerup rules. I need to play and tinker some more with them before I say anything else really. Here is the insider for Jack Marshal:

http://privateerpress.com/community/privateer-insider/insider-05-17-2016
Thanks for this! It looks like the changes are pretty good overall, in that it seems like we don't have to roll for every drive anymore which is a huge benefit. Also the base bonuses that a Marshal can give do a lot to cover the ground that I felt the false focus missed (like allowing power attacks). Although compared to the Powerup, yea, it's still a middling thing. Powerup provides a free focus to the battlegroup, right? It seems like it might be worth it on some of those more efficient jacks that don't need a lot of steam. No idea what the matchups would be anymore, but at least they didn't leave our marshals in the cold too much.

quote:

Devil Dogs got a buff and kind of a nerf at the same time. On the plus side, They are now weapon masters against all Constructs, losing trash. Their nets are range 4 but AOE 3 now which is super interesting to me. Same gun. Sam has the same great sword, and Iron Sentinel, and her new drive is Reposition 5 (which is like a 5 inch reform) for the jack. The Nerf is that they still have the same stats (13,13 with 15,12 for Sam) and are more expensive in MK3 points with 12 for min and 18 for the max. Even if you take a Buccaneer, 6 Mk3 points, a full unit is 24 points and that's feels really high to me for a fragile unit. I've not played with them yet, and I'm still hopeful that they will have a place, but I'm not entirely sure that they are worth all those points.

Those changes sound interesting, but making them more expensive hurts. I got use out of them by teaming them with Rupert to give them the benefit of Tough or bonus defense to help them stick around, but adding another solo to make the existing points work is not really a great scheme. They were one of the units that got me into the game though so if I ever come back I'll probably still give them a try anyway.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Llael's king died something like ten years before the Khador invasion, anyway. Llael was always pretty hosed trying to face Khador, but one of the key reasons it rolled over so badly was that the Prime Minister who was ruling while the matter of succession was resolved basically cut a deal and hamstrung their forces completely. Maybe Rebaldt expected that Khador would invade, but didn't anticipate the Llaelese turncoats and was basically expecting that Cygnar would have time to reinforce them and fight the war in someone else's country instead of in their own lands. :shrug:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I'm still kind of bitter that we only have a single Epic merc warcaster. I get it, I don't expect them to get the same development that the main factions do, but I really thought that the war all through Llael would get us an updated Ashlynn or that the Rhulic escalation would bring in a new Gorten. I guess I can't really feel too bent out of shape until Retribution beats us out, though.

Also I just realized that Steelhead Cav lost Reach and Backswing. :(

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Another reason Mercs are the best faction!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I think the only truly truly limited miniature PP has done is teh NQ Eiryss. Am I wrong about that?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oh, good call on those! I guess there are a handful of them.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, I am not happy with a staggered schedule as a concept either, possibly just because GW fucks it up so badly. Presumably PP will do a little better than that, in that hopefully they won't let a faction go for 10+ years without any updates or new releases, but it still feels like a model that can be really swingy and unbalanced. I would be much happier with packaged releases that aren't necessarily entirely symmetrical. So for example, you release a book and everyone gets new stuff, but not necessarily the same stuff. Maybe one faction gets an additional caster, another gets some more solos, one gets jacks and another units - instead of worrying that you're giving everyone one caster, two units, a warjack, and a solo (or whatever) you just focus on giving each faction what they need to keep parity. Sometimes that might mean that a faction gets a little less than another, but only if the other faction has been hurting and needs a few extra tools. :shrug:

Edit: This would also let them pace releases with whatever is happening in the story, so you get a book that's something like 'Battle for the Thornwood' and has all the releases themed around that, or 'Siege of Corvis' with that as theme, etc.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

GoodBee posted:

Post your jacks. I want some inspiration to paint my Merc jacks.

I have more of these if you're interested! :shrug:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

GoodBee posted:

Sure! What bases are those?

I just make the bases myself. The base arcs are done by flattening some greenstuff against the edge of the base and then using a mechanical pencil to poke the 'rivets' on it. The hardest part is trying to minimize how obvious the edge of the greenstuff is, and you can file it once its dry so its not bad. The cobbles are just sprues clipped into chunks. Because mercs can have pretty different looks I use the bases to help pull them together as a force.

Here is a link to my Warhmachine gallery, which has some other angles and stuff (and also an infinity guy, for some reason).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Honestly it never occurred to me, and no one has ever said anything about it being a possible issue. When I get a chance to play it's just with whoever is at the store, I have never played in a tournament and doubt that I will in the foreseeable future.

The greenstuff isn't all the way around, it's just a little piece where the markings are; the majority of the metal area is still the plastic base. I guess it does make the base slightly wider at the edges of the arc and makes the middle slightly forward of the physical base. If someone was ever really concerned about it I'd try to work out a way to compensate with them.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

If you are trying to remove a specific area you can try just going to town on it with a toothbrush. It shouldn't damage the plastic itself but should rub off the paint. You can localize the removal, and then you would need to re-prime and repaint that space. I would just redo everything myself, but I can understand not wanting to lose all the other work.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I actually love painting and modeling stuff, I honestly prefer it to playing most of the games, but I work pretty slowly and it doesn't help that I get very little time to work on my hobbies anymore. I can field a fully painted force, but if ever want to use something new or hot in the meta, I basically going to be stuck using unpainted stuff. I already feel bad about it on my own, please don't assume that people using unpainted stuff aren't interested in getting it done. :(

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I haven't played in a long time but decided to try and catch up on all the new stuff since the last edition.

We're never getting Epic Ashlynn or Epic Gorten, are we? :(

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Mercs are the group without a distinct look, which is because they are mercs.

What happened with Llael? I see there is finally an Ashlynn2 as the Queens Blade - whose the queen and isn't everything just screwed with the Infernals stuff now?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Hopefully the Marchers have less of the Lost Cause aura/nostalgia about them.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

So the arrival of Ashlynn2 made me pay attention to Warmachine again and, uh, poo poo got really real there. :stare: Any indication as to where they are going with everything? Trying to read up on fluff recaps it seems like they've killed a number of characters, including some pretty big names in the game/lore and they're basically throwing everything in to the mix. I thought the Infernals were basically just a new faction but it seems like they're just straight-up having everyone abandon Immoren wholesale for a gate to... somewhere? It seems like they'd be headed for a fairly substantial game reboot, especially if all the dead are staying dead.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Crazy Ferret posted:

Same. I've been checked out of this game for a while. I did not even know there was a Ashlynn 2 and she is my favorite warcaster in the game, outside of my boy Magnus and his pack of angry robots.

As mentioned above, a bunch of it is through the twitter handle - which I have to say, is pretty much the worst and most obnoxious way to try to read this stuff. I recognize that I am a huge grumpy luddite and this might be cool and fine for regular people.

They also summarize stuff through the news section of the website: https://home.privateerpress.com/news/ - they have different articles for the Hengehold and also for prior events/occasions like Stormbreak you can read up on to see what's happened.

Here is the render/image for Ashlynn2 around, Warcaster Unit with a couple of helpers:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Is Battlefoam still run/operated by the same dick that started it and tried to aggressively sue anyone else cutting foam?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Wold Watchers are on 40mm bases, so they're smaller than those guys but bigger than regular troops. Here is some random guy's army with a Watcher in the center.

There are also Mannikins, which are more human-sized, but they look kind of like they are made from sticks and bundles rather than stone.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

!Klams posted:

Awwww... butts. Ok, thanks. Maybe this isn't the right path then. Anyone happen to know of any cool (but not like 90's comic book cool) Golem mini's? The remit of 'Golem' is very broad.

Not sure exactly what you are going for; Reaper makes a variety of miniatures under 'golem', which vary from frankenstein monsters to iron and stone to scifi-like robot dudes. You could also look for some Warforged miniatures; they are basically the golem race from the Eberron DnD campaign world that might have the right look.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Some years ago the local store had a ton of Warmachine and Hordes going on, it was probably the dominant game. Going back recently Age of Sigmar is suddenly huge, tons of people playing it, and 40k is very healthy. Warmachine barely appears, no dedicated day for it, store only has some older boxes in a clearance section. I dropped out for a big chunk of the intervening time so I don't know exactly what happened locally, but it's pretty stark.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Serenade posted:

It's worth noting that a board game can't really "die" as long as you find someone to play. I've never really had the flgs warmachine presence but that didn't stop me from playing warmachine with friends.

It does suck that it's less popular and that does make it harder, but not impossible.

While not actually untrue, this makes my closet into some sort of wildlife preserve for critically endangered games.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I played Mercs, so it's not like I was ever really worried about chasing that winning meta. But as a hobbyist I got really frustrated that so many of their releases started showing up unpainted or even just as apparently renders. It's one thing when I'm backing a kickstarter or buying some random figures some guy casts in his basement/home prints, but the way that PP went from showing 3D rotations of painted figures to now where it's often a grey render makes it feel real slipshod.

Also, I was going to check their website to see if this was still true, but not only is it true, their gallery pages haven't been updated to include a bunch of new stuff, and prompt you to download Flash to see the older rotated figures. Not really a good sign.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I still haven't assembled the Steelhead Cavalry, just sitting in a box judging me quietly. I did finally put together the Tharne Wolfriders and I kind of like them, but I don't think the game needed a whole separate cavalry thing, should have just treated them like a variety of multiwound infantry.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I hadn't thought about it for a while but the PP transition to plastics was kind of a mess. I completely understand why they did it and it wasn't a bad plan at all, but for whatever reason a ton of the conversions really sucked the life out of many figures. I don't know if this was a limitation of their casting or if they had uninspired sculptors managing the new versions or what.

But you had this:

Go to this:

The new version isn't a bad model or anything, it comes out fine, but it kept so little of the original's character and mood.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I just started going back to game stores after several years off, and the Warmachine section is basically a small set of highly marked-down boxes in a corner. The store discord gets maybe one post in the Warmahordes channel a month. Monsterpocalypse seems to be in better shape, they at least seem to be stocking product for it, although it's more or less just an aisle-ender worth compared to a wall for GW, a wall of RPG stuff, and two walls of board games. There are basically zero events or set gaming days being organized, I did find one dude who plays and was super excited to know that I had kept all my stuff and would be willing to play sometime. I missed the collapse but boy it seems to be in a really rough spot.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

So how long will it be before I can actually use my Steelheads or Free Llael forces?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Mostly I hope whatever they do actually helps to invigorate the game, because my obstacle right now is way more finding players than anything else. I think there is maybe one person at the local store that I can try and arrange a game with, but it's really arduous compared to being able to show up any weekend day and pick up a game of 40k or MCP.

Maneck posted:

Also, Squats have been back for a while in Necromunda. And they are getting a further huge release in 40k later this year. We need a new word for that.

I vote for 'Slanned'.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Is there a link to that actual post? It looks like there are a lot of pictures I would like to actually see.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

No Llael, no dice. :colbert:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I have to say that this is probably one of the fastest turns from excitement release to bitterness that I have witnessed.

To make sure I get this right, I will no longer be able to buy any missing elements from the prior version - so, for example, if I did not get Major Gibbs because he came out after I had stopped playing, I won't be able to get him now?

And also, this doesn't actually matter, because Mercenaries are basically turning into six specific Legacy armies, which does not include the Llaelese Resistance, so I can't actually use my existing force except if it happens to have enough Steelhead elements to work as that legacy list?

Big oof. :(

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

GW fucks up a lot of stuff, but they have generally been very good about letting people buy legacy/existing models for much longer than anyone would rightfully want them.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Wow, did not realize that. MCP is a really good game, it's my current go-to for low-count playing and I've really been enjoying it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Not sure that I am ready for a Warmachine that abandons the core 'huge shoulders, tiny legs' philosophy.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

So if your forces don't appear on one of those lists, do you just not get rules to use them, or are they relegated to another tier of stuff that gets some rudimentary rules but less support or can't be used in more regular play?

Like I have Damiano and the Halberdiers and Cavalry, so I'm partway into 'Soldiers of Fortune', but it doesn't include gun mages, Devil Dogs, Ragman, several other Merc pieces, not to mention there doesn't seem to be any place for Ashlynn or Magnus1. Are those just unusable now, or do we at least get some sort of third-tier rules so we can play with friends?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Maneck posted:

There will be two tiers (called "arenas") of games in Mk. 4. Prime and Unlimited. All models from all legacy factions will be playable in the unlimited format, plus everything new. Select models from legacy factions will also be in legacy army lists which will be playable in the Prime format, which is supposed to be the competitive one. And there will be a second army coming for all legacy factions, except Mercs/Minions who will get more than two.

The catch is, we know the rules for the legacy armies with Prime Army lists will be available this coming week, but there has been no answer for the rest of the rules, beyond "sometime before the end of 2023". They might just do a rules dump from Mk. 3, so it could be next week - but that's utter speculation.
Ok, so if all is according to plan, then sometime in the next... year... I would be able to play my current forces against friends and probably pickup games at the store, but anything competitive would be 'Prime' and not possible (that's frankly fine). But it depends on whenever those rules come out, and we probably can't expect anything left to Unlimited to get the same attention or maybe any revisions.

Now if you own the models for one of the 'Legacy' lists shown above, you can expect to be able to play them in Prime. But if you only own some of those models, you're not going to be able to fill out a legacy list because they're not going to be making them any more? So if you're like, 2/3 of the way into Soldiers of Fortune because you own a bunch of Steelheads, but you didn't own one of those 3 casters, you'd have to get one used or something to actually play the list. Is that right?

Do we know what is happening with the storyline and characters from here on? I noticed that the new starter boxes seem to feature completely new Warcasters I don't think we've seen before. There is nothing wrong with that, but it does make me wonder if most of the existing characters (those that didn't die I guess, I tried to keep up on the story when I stopped playing but it got pretty wild) are going to fade out and it will be all new stuff going forward. That seems like it would be the most likely thing but it's kind of weird when so much of Warmachine focused around specific people and their development rather than the sweeping strokes of the wars.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

There were as number of people at the local store who were excited about the new release, and generally even shrugged off the reports on uncured resin and poor printing as being selective reporting or just teething problems that PP would correct. But the chatter has gradually died down and no one is talking about it at all now. Maybe it will bounce back, I dunno.

It's a weird situation for me because I enjoyed warmachine a lot of the time and I would play again, but I am 100% a Merc player; I have always accepted that could mean I get fewer releases, less attention, or stuff that comes out doesn't fit into my contract or so on compared to the core factions. That's fine. But as of right now I more or less can't play until they release some rules, and I am definitely not buying into Khador, Cygnar, or Orgoth. I guess I'll see if people are playing when the Soldiers of Fortune rules are out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

koreban posted:

The best thing they could have done was probably to simplify the game, kick the timeline forward 20 years to divorce people’s emotional attachments to characters, consolidate factions into a dozen or so units to choose between, and try to recapture lost attention. They’d have to be able to manufacture those units…

Honestly I thought that this was the plan for Warcaster but then it wasn't. They should have just shuttered Warmahordes, left the rules and unit information accessible for people still playing, and continued to sell any existing stock until it was gone, but explicitly moving all new attention and development to Warcaster. Leaving their original game behind would be tough, but honestly I can't see it as any worse than whatever this thing is they are doing now.

Hipster Occultist posted:

I'm curious, how many gonns here think that PP can/will pull this off and return Warmachine to at least a fairly-popular game? Maybe not the heights of Mk2 popular, but a game that has its own fairly healthy ecosystem and competitive circut.

No judgement, just curious how folks are generally feeling about the future, not nessecarily about their current misteps/woes.
I doubt that it will. Warmachine's original ascendancy was a combination of things; they formulated a distinctive, attractive aesthetic and world for people to latch onto, they had solid rules and very tight gameplay. But, they also arrived at a particular moment when GW was really loving around, and there were very few other games on the field.

Now GW is in a much heathier place, and has diversified its games into a lot of different formats. But even beyond that, there are a lot more alternatives as well. When Warmachine arrived I was practically living in a game store (I was in college and literally around the block from a store, my friend worked there, so we spent a ridiculous amount of time there) and the games people played were basically 40k, Warmachine, or Confrontation (Rackham's now deceased game that had a shorter lifespan). Now I go to a store and people are playing 40k, AOS, Kill Team, sure, but they're also playing Star Wars Legion, Marvel Crisis Protocol, Song of Ice and Fire, and a smattering of other games I don't even know about (Bolt Action? Conquest?) Even if PP can get their poo poo together, they are looking at a much more crowded and diverse market where there are plenty of other offerings that people can look to. I don't see any reason to think they're going to be able to pull ahead of the crowd.