Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The thing that confused me most while playing was the VLR canon ending because initially it appeared that Akane and Junpei were dead. I had all kinds of theories about why Sigma assumed this was that timeline. For a long while I was suspicious that this wasn't even really Akane and Junpei because Akane says in VLR that she wasn't there and Junpei knows nothing about it.

But no it's just transportalizing. I assume Akane told Sigma at some point that in the VLR timeline she and Junpei would appear to be dead but don't worry they're fine. And then she drugs Junpei and lies to everyone because gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Also when the Transportalizer was first revealed I was also suspicious and suspected some elaborate Zero trickery but no They're Out There

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Of all the retrospectively humorous posts I made in the other thread, this is my favorite:

Regy Rusty posted:

I just got to the BIGGEST REVELATION IN ZERO ESCAPE HISTORY

This changes EVERYTHING

D team, post trash room Phi has RED HAIR!? :eyepop:

I know someone is going to take me seriously, the thing under tags is not significant at all

I didn't realize how significant it was until well after I beat the game. :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh my god a friend just pointed out another Q/Delta clue to me:

In the bad end where you try to shoot Mira in the standoff, he was confused the first time through as to why the voice announced Q's death before he was actually dead as "Q" (Sean) was still barely alive at that point.

But if you go back and look at the scene Mira shoots twice and you can hear the clatter of Delta falling out of his chair. And it's his death that gets announced

loving Uchikoshi

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

I just realized that the whole snail story means that Sean and Delta loving met in a Japanese hospital. lol.

Also that Eric's mom was running in Japan too. Which means Mira also murdering fools in Japan.

These games take place in America.

Isn't the simpler answer that Akane's father was visiting the US

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

So did Sigma travel back in time to bang the crush that his robot daughter is based on or am I missing something?

From Sigma's perpective, he first meets Luna who he later learns is based on Diana. Whether he develops feelings for Luna is unknown (Luna is in love with Old Sigma though in her robot way). Anyway then he jumps back to 2029 and goes to the moon. Diana, fresh from the ZTD ending with the virus escaping, seeks him out on the moon with Akane's help and lives with him there for 3 years. That's when the two of them fall in love for the first time from Sigma's perspective. She dies and he pines for her so creates Luna. Then he jumps back to 2028 to try and change everything, and in the process gets another chance to be with the woman he loves. This plays out in the trapped ending, and presumably in the final happy ending they get to live a happy life together.

It's a weird path for a relationship to be sure :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Terper posted:

By the way, cool detail I noticed the first time around. In the ending where Sigma and Diana hook up and make futurepastquantumbabbies, this is the status chart.

And then

This, of course, made me think Sean was Delta, so when I then went back to the Triangle Stand-Off and inserted Delta I was... confused.

gently caress

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I hate this game and the man who created it

He's evil and must be stopped

alcharagia posted:

Uchikoshi sucks and deserves to die.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Winky posted:

One of the death passwords was QUARK, and I remember there being a few important qualities to Quark that were never explained in VLR (he was super resilient, for one).

Also the Junpei/Quark relationship mirroring the Delta/Sean relationship doesn't seem like a coincidence.

One of the death passwords was Quark yes, but it was in connection to Junpei. It was just a nod towards their connection in VLR.

That reminds me that I kept track of all the death passwords and which characters they applied to. There are a few interesting things in there as some of them are actually kinda hints:

Carlos: DREAM FIRE FIGHT SHIFT SAVE
Akane: KEY CRASH JUNE SIX
Junpei: QUARK FIVE JUMP RING DOLL
Q: EYE AGE SELF
Eric: FOOL ICE LOVE LAKE
Mira: VIRGIN KILL HEART RIP
Diana: MOM BLUE BIRD MOON
Sigma: ARM MILK OLD FATE
Phi: DEAR RED TWIN

I'm pretty sure this is all of them and that I didn't make any mistakes.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 1, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Luna ending was one of the highlights of VLR...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

the truth posted:

That comes really late in the game, though. I spent most of the game not caring about her. I didn't hate her like Alice or Clover, but most of the time she was just there.

Of course her ending was great, and I was looking forward to seeing Diana in this game.

Okay you're somewhat redeemed

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think I would have preferred Akane in this game if she was more freaked out, not about the horrible things that were happening, but about the events not being in her control for the first time ever

There were a few hints of that but I'd have liked more

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Me and Carlos are bros

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Personally I think the interpretation that "The player is actually Delta mindhacking everyone!" is dumb and wrong, if only for the fact that he's dead in a bunch of the timelines anyway.

It's way more likely in my opinion that the decisions and the transfer of information between characters is ?/Blick Winkel's unstated role in the game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

fadam posted:

Did Mira kill Akane's dad?
Why were Eric and Mira even there?

No, Mira killed Eric's mother (probably). Akane's dad was somewhere nearby at the time and was arrested and convicted for the crime.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The game pretty much flat out states that's the case for some of it though. Hitting the button as Carlos, or Diana for example. Both of them swear they didn't do it, and it pretty much implies Delta was behind it.

Now that I actually think about it though, yeah I suppose saying that Delta did all of the decisions doesn't make sense.

They did it because the player forced them to do it in order to get all the information you need to complete the game. Those specific decisions are actually what I consider to be ?'s biggest influence on the game, not Delta's.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

IceBorg posted:

I wonder what Carlos whole role was in the whole VLR timeline? Akane didn't erase his memories so he must have been involved in the AB project right?

And also yeah I don't know why people are freaking out about "?" not coming up, like they are us the player, the whole Akane saying "that you will have major role" is saying to us "yo buy and play this game when it comes out pls". That's it.

Well the reason is that at the time it seemed like a very clear nod to Ever17 and seemed like it was Uchikoshi saying that he was going to use the plot device of Blick Winkel in a very big way in the next game.

In actuality it seems like that's not what he was saying, but I think there's still evidence that the influence of a fourth dimentional entity (?/BW/the player) is there in ZTD.

Mind Hacking certainly confuses the issue but I think it's way less powerful and all present than people seem to think. I don't think Delta controlling literally everything is what the game was going for.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Though the part of VLR's epilogue that I think really bothers people is that Akane was very explicit in saying that Kyle had jumped back as well because Sigma wouldn't leave him behind. We had no idea what the mechanism of that would be and it was not brought up in the slightest in ZTD. That I have no explanation for other than it was dropped/forgotten.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Terper posted:

In a timeline we didn't get to see, baby Delta suddenly opens his eyes and exclaims "Father! I have come to aid you!" Surprised, Sigma drops the baby, killing it.

Perfect

Poonerman posted:

the Q&A will reveal that kyle is gab

This was literally my theory for much of the game

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

where was it stated that the person Mira killed was Eric's mom?

Also I still don't understand Sean's ability to shift. He's a robot?

It's not explicitly stated, but it's implied because Eric's mom died somehow too and everyone's connected

Sean is not a robot - he's a program on a quantum computer. The quantum computer operates outside the normal universe and thus is connected to all timelines, so everything stored on it, like Sean's consciousness, can effectively shift.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Mira being the one who killed Eric's mom becomes more explicit when both her and Eric said the same thing as they died, especially the smiling part since Eric constantly would yammer on about how his mom would say that.

Oh you know I didn't even put that together, but yeah that makes sense

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It kinda gets overshadowed because so many of the timelines involve him pointing a gun at someone, but in the one where they kill the other two teams with the acid, he really breaks down

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

I'm not sure that's true. It could easily have been us as '?' doing it.

We know that Delta was dead in a lot of the timelines, so he can't have been controlling the choices there. Given that we perceive the timelines where Delta's alive and the ones where he's dead in exactly the same way, I'm inclined to think that we're seeing though Diana, Carlos and Delta's eyes in their respective fragments, which implies to me that we must be '?'. Delta just doesn't have access to some of things that we see, as he can't SHIFT, whereas, if we're some randomly moving 4-dimensional being, it explains both the choice mechanics and the fact that we experience everything out of order. Plus it explains why we externally observe what happens in some fragments after the viewpoint character has SHIFTed out/before they've SHIFTed in.

Yeah this is basically what I think. And specifically where we make the decisions where we kill a lot of people and the characters are like "It wasn't me!" it's out of curiosity/wanting to get the information from those timelines to use elsewhere.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I like the theory that Delta mind hacked Eric into shooting him so that he'd die and not be brought along by the mass consciousness transfer. That way, CQD Delta could be morally 'clean'.

On a different note, here's the funniest line in the game.

oh my god

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

exploding mummy posted:

We're in the universes that God forsook and she survived, remember

And?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Being half of the source of your own DNA would be literally impossible

Not even Zero Escape's insane world could make that happen

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Motto posted:

That's during the 45 years of prep begun by young Sigma after witnessing the reactor explosion; ZTD Sigma returns to the very end of VLR.

Yeah. Basically when Old Sigma fails in the VLR timeline he knows he's about to end up going back to 2074 and live out the rest of his life having failed to save both humanity in general and the woman he loved specifically.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Bahahaha. Don't know who gave me this version of red text, but I can't stop laughing.

Oh my

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Weren't they told in the Dcom experiment that Delta's name was Q? No one knew his real name even from the get go.

He's saying he noticed that:

A) No one knew the helmet child

B) No one seemed surprised that Q was listed as playing

And thus suspected something weird was going on, and was ultimately proven to be correct.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mira. It's both obvious because of her fingernails and Delta outright explains it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

flatluigi posted:

Oh, could that be the "doll" xpass? I was wondering if I was just forgetting something from the 999 backstory, but I think that might've been straight-up left out in the english localization.

JUMPYDOLL was the password to the Q room computer in VLR

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The player in this game is a fourth dimensional entity that doesn't follow the rules of spacetime. This was established in the epilogue of VLR.

Ever17 gives this entity a name (Blick Winkel) and involves it more explicitly in the plot. It isn't used as directly in ZTD but it's the mechanism by which information is transferred between different people.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rascyc posted:

There's no way that's a real unspoiled post lmao

It could be a wise guy trying to look clever but I choose to believe

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Clarste posted:

It's easily possible to know about the alien fax machine within the first 15 hours. Heck, it was literally the first fragment I chose after the introductory ones. So while to some people it may have been a late game plot twist that completely changed the nature of everything, to others its existence was practically part of the premise. That's the nature of playing a game like this.

True, it's like how in VLR literally the first route I did had Phi and Sigma explicitly acknowledge that they were jumping timelines.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In the epilogue of VLR Akane specifically states that Kyle had jumped back to 2028 through a mechanism that was unexplained. He doesn't have a body in 2028 so we didn't know how that would be possible.

In addition, the person she's telling this to is an unknown entity (the dialogue box labels it as "?") inhabiting Kyle's body in 2028. She explains that this entity doesn't follow the normal rules and will be going back to 2028 as well and will be the key to changing the past (since Old Sigma had failed).

From Ever17 it can be inferred that "?" is actually Blick Winkel, a fourth dimensional being not bound by spacetime who can inhabit the bodies of others and jump freely between time periods and timelines. There's evidence in ZTD that Blick Winkel was indeed involved - it's very likely that the player was effectively playing as BW jumping between timelines and transferring information between different characters. Unlike Ever17 and VLR however, this was not explicitly acknowledged so not everyone caught it or was even aware it was a possibility.

As for Kyle there's no evidence whatsoever of his presence in ZTD so who knows what happened with him.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MotU posted:

is there a post-game file for Diana and Sigma and Phi??? I got one for all the others but not them

maybe is it because I only had 96% Quest file completion? :<

There isn't. I just assume they lived happily ever after

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

Is there a reason Sigma had to be on the moon specifically for 50 years or whatever? Seems like it'd be easier all around and cut down on the tragicness if he like, stayed in a bunker on Earth and did all his science magic there then just moved the finished products to the moon bunker.

Earth is kinda unsafe, on the moon no one will bother him

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Txn posted:

I know this is probably a joke, but :laffo:

http://zeroescape.wikia.com/wiki/Snail

This owns

Sometimes, even the people who make wikis can be funny

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

We are always from ?'s perspective not Delta's

I'll maintain this to the bitter end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

It doesn't really need to be argued, like 45% of the game happens with Delta Dead.

And yet people keep assuming the opposite for some reason

• Locked thread