Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

NRVNQSR posted:

Looking back on the series I don't actually have nearly as many unanswered questions as I thought. Aside from Kyle and Clover/Alice/All-Ice you've got "What happened to X after 999?", to which the answer is usually "helping Crash Keys", and "Why did Free the Soul do X?", to which the answer is usually "because Delta felt like it". I can't think of any others that bother me right now?

The thing that bothers me the most is that for a man who was so obsessed with the death of his weird adoptive brother that he created an army of clones of him over a hundred years after his death, he sure as hell doesn't seem to care about him in the slightest and like is very flippantly dismissive when someone brings him up.

NRVNQSR posted:

Yeah, I could never bring myself to care about Mira or Eric in the slightest. They basically made up a team that was two-thirds Dios; if it weren't for Sean I would probably have just blown all of Q team's heads off and ignored them for the rest of the game.

Dio was at least a funny/interesting/weird character. Like come on, his cover story was that he was a circus ringleader. That's goofy as gently caress.

Regy Rusty posted:

Also when the Transportalizer was first revealed I was also suspicious and suspected some elaborate Zero trickery but no They're Out There

I was honestly surprised by how much the whole alien technology out of nowhere thing didn't bother me. On paper it's the kind of plot device that would piss me off but it was just ridiculous enough that I was ok with it. The big issue with it is that it all but tells you who Delta is, so when it's revealed later it makes it kind of fall flat.

alcharagia posted:

I for one love that after two games of a non-Zero crazy person antagonist and Zero being actually kind of sympathetic, now we straight up have a 124-year-old Bond villain with the power to Mind Hack

Don't forget his weird Evil Eyes he has for *reasons*

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Vaguido posted:

Him calling his mind control and mind reading powers "MIND HACKING" sounded like an old man trying really hard to be cool and hip for the kids.

That might be the canonical reason he called it that, but it still was kinda lame.

Delta is like Hot Topic Levels of Edgy.

This whole game is Hot Topic levels of Edgy.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I just realized that the whole snail story means that Sean and Delta loving met in a Japanese hospital. lol.

Also that Eric's mom was running in Japan too. Which means Mira also murdering fools in Japan.

These games take place in America.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

So did Sigma travel back in time to bang the crush that his robot daughter is based on or am I missing something?

Sigma is so horny his sheer horniness cannot be contained by time and space.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

You don't really need any hits that Delta is Zero though. The second Diane popped out two kids its like the most obvious twist ever.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Was it me or were there way less pseudoscience lectures this time around? There wew a couple but they were pretty short and they also ended up rehashing a couple from the last two games. Little disappointing but I guess it'd look worse in cut scenes as opposed to vn style text blocks.

There was less pretty much everything this time around. It's pretty clear they had to cut back on some content to fit a budget. Generally speaking I think the new format held the game back way more than it should have. The third person camera was necessary to do their piss poor Zero/Delta/Sean twist and so they could go all kill bill/saw more dramatically.

I would have much preferred another straight Visual Novel.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Add: I actually liked the Q-was-Delta-all-along reveal, because the game had been dropping some pretty strong hints that your idea of who "Q" is isn't actually correct all game. The fact that you never get his portrait in the status screen, the fact that the Crossbow decision doesn't accept "Sean" as Q's real name, the way no one ever seem to refer to Sean as "Q"... so in that sense, that is, there being a character you had not seen up to now but was actually there... that part worked for me.

Except all the pre-release materials labeled Sean as Q.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Also this game makes the ending part of VLR where Akane goes "Welp I have no idea what happens in there" make absolutely no sense because she was loving neck deep in that bullshit in that timeline.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Exercu posted:

just like the pre-release OVA of VLR had young sigma participating in that Nonary game

I also think the Old Sigma twist is dumb as hell, but ZTD makes that game look smart as gently caress in comparison.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Irisize posted:

Well, she has no idea how the infection actually happened. All she knows of that path is about stuff that happened after the escape.

Granted, just telling him about the Decision Game would probably have been a lot of help.

Why else would they freeze Phi other than knowing she was patient zero for Radical 6 and thus already had the disease? I find it hard to believe Akane the timelord does not know this, seeing as she knew to gas Sigma before the Mars test site to set everything in motion.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

transporting alien technology is useless at the end, sean is op, and I can't believe the end game solution is "eh let's teleport to a time when we didn't get into this mess".

But they learned the power of friendship!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

alcharagia posted:

Remember? Dude in super Buddha robot armor? Rode a bunny ride? Had a super tragic ending? Secretly had Sigma's face?

gently caress. The bunny ride.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Remember how K had a child size suit of the exact same armor for when he was a child?

gently caress these games used to be good.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

jimmydalad posted:

This may be me being stupid, but was there any reason as to why Sigma's weight in pounds was displayed in the incinerator during the puzzle there? I don't remember ever using it to solve the room and I don't think it really comes up ever again. Either that or I missed something during the game.

Delta's motives are... complex.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MegaZeroX posted:

Here is something interesting. In the logo, there is a 4 in the place for 6.

Delta is the 4th letter in the Greek alphabet, and 4 + 6 = 10, the number of participants.

Lol look at VI and IV closely and you may be shocked!!!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

More numbers trivia:

Delta is the 4th letter of the Greek alphabet, Sigma is 18th, and Phi is 21st. If you add those numbers to Junpei and Akane's supposed bracelet numbers from 999,

4 + 18 + 21 + 5 + 6 = 54

Digital root of 9. Don't think it was planned that way but it's a funny coincidence.

this is some 9/11 esque grasping for straws poo poo.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah I think the player is looking through cameras the whole time. The recording of Carlos killing Akane was from same angles the player saw the scene, right?

That probably is more for budgetary/laziness than anything else. They are not going to rerender the scene from a different angle.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

How the gently caress does the transporter even work. Like there are an infinite number of timelines it can go to, how would you even go about choosing one.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

It's weird that people consistently say they had their "mind blown" by the game, because I never once felt like that.

Closest thing that came to that was the "Every ward is the same" thing, but that didn't seem that crazy.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Giving the espers stupid superhero power names for their weird psychic abilities is easily the worst part about this game.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Amppelix posted:

Stranded Pair/The Hope Of Two still really impresses me. The game could have ended right there and I would have been extremely okay with it. And I don't even dislike any of the Delta stuff that comes afterwards.

It's not any revolutionary storytelling or anything of course, but I really wasn't expecting a literally half an hour long sequence of two of my favourite characters just talking about things, getting to know each other, building a relationship. A believably written relationship in a Zero Escape have, imagine that.

Yeah it's great, my favorite part is when Sigma slaps a battered woman!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Amppelix posted:

I think it's a great introduction to the idea of multiple endings and going back to change your decision. It trains you to think a certain way when you're forced to get an ending in the literal first minutes of the game. Of course, series veterans were already doing that but it's not inconceivable that newcomers might play this one first.

I dunno, the way the game was designed with each fragment ending right after the payoff of a selection means that most people are going to just do the 2nd choice right after their first one most of the time anyway.

I actually think it took all of the power out of your selections because you're doing them all back to back, rather than playing down a timeline like in VLR and 999. different selections are made like 10 minutes after one another, rather than like 2 or 3 hours.

e: Also they had to make the beginning like that because of the ending. Can you imagine how lovely it would be if someone had to play the entire game, just to get to a plot lock in the last 10 minutes and have to go back and do the coin flip again? It would be horrible.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 15, 2016

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'd be more befuddled as to how Phi and Delta kept their names after being sent back in time. It's not like they had name tags on them.

they quite literally had name tags.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Danaru posted:

I mean it seems pretty clear that Uchikoshi wants to do a fourth game if he can, the entire ending felt like a sequel hook much like VLR's did.

Hopefully Chunsoft is willing to let him, considering they're porting everything to PC they seem to have some hope at least

Seeing as ZTD sold like 14 copies, I wouldn't hold my breath. Also it's pretty clear he doesn't want to continue the series, he wants to do new poo poo. ZTD might as well have been a completely different game with how much poo poo he dropped from the other games.

Also as far as ending chat goes, I thought VLR had objectively the worst ending out of any game I'd played ever.

Then I played ZTD.

I've never played any of Uchikoshi's other poo poo, but it's pretty clear the guy does not know how to write an ending.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The only thing that's good about delta is how hilariously lovely of a character he is.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

That youtube video where delta says that everyone is a shitter is a better character than the delta we got.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MegaZeroX posted:

It fits pretty well with my own internal algorithm based upon Steam reviews as well. For the first 500, if it is possible for it to get to overwhelming positive, it usually takes about 30,000 people to reach it. After that, usually, 1 in 300 people review it on steam. I got 63,000 using this. This algorithm has worked as a ballpark estimate for me with most releases where they don't have a Steam review achievement. At any rate, 611 steam reviews indicates a lot more than 14,000.

Please tell me more about how you can tell sales of a thing by how many people review it.

e: Does anyone have a link to a copy of the completed flowchart that's online? I've been trying to find one.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 18, 2016

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MegaZeroX posted:

I recognize the algorithm it is a pretty bad approximation, obviously it varies by how passionate players are and all. However, I'd say it is at least as accurate as Steamspy, at any rate. Steamspy seems generally worthless in it's estimations, as it is often underestimated by a magnitude (look at other games where official sales were announced, and compare them to Steam spy). At any rate, the 14,000 Steamspy sales doesn't really say anything.

steamspy is at least collecting data at some level, it's way less worthless than your weird "algorithm"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Linguica posted:

* From poking around online, it looks like Steamspy estimated Crusader Kings II had ~1.2 million owners on Steam.
* 2 years ago, Paradox said that Crusader Kings II had sold one million copies

But sure, whatever, I'm sure Zero Time Dilemma has sold five times as many copies as estimated, because your headcanon algorithm says so

No you're wrong. 1/300 people review games on steam. This is fact. That means that Crusader Kings 2 has actually sold 4.7 million copies. The developers are wrong.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Slur posted:

The logs imply she goes to set right which once went wrong. It's kind of silly, in my opinion, considering she doesn't have any real motivation to do so.

Delta showed her the power of love and friendship and she finally understood emotions

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Does anyone know why completing the decision game at the beginning unlocks timelines for everyone, not just the timeline that you create?

Like if D team dies, you still unlock poo poo for D team. It seems like a really puzzling decision that serves to confuse people.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

If you're playing Zero Esacpe at this point, you can probably expect to be going through multiple timelines with multiple possibilities, so you're prepared for some people to be alive when they should be dead in a more linear story.

Yeah, I understand that. My point is that its a puzzingly bad design decision when some of those timelines are arbitrarily set behind getting all of the outcomes, when some just unlock for getting one. It's the reason so many people get stuck there.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Hot take:

He never intended to answer any of those questions and him saying "wait for the sequal!" was him covering up his poo poo writing in VLR.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

VLR needing to happen to train Sigma is completely trivialized by the fact that Junpei, Akane, and Carlos all being able to jump around like it barely batters.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

It's been a loooong time since I played VLR, but weren't Sigma and Phi basically able to shift at will, regardless of their lives being in danger?

Let me tell you about the minds slingshot....

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Please update the OP again, thnx

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

We are always from ?'s perspective not Delta's

I'll maintain this to the bitter end

It doesn't really need to be argued, like 45% of the game happens with Delta Dead.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Zeeman posted:

When you tell Sean to kill Delta with the crossbow, he shoots at "you"

I mean, yeah. Because the camera shifts to his view right after you select the choice. That doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the game.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

People are straight up making up non-existent plot twists at this point smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Or Hideo Kojima finally making his game that deletes itself when you lose.

• Locked thread