Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Compared to that one dude's Sands of Time run last year that crashed about a dozen times, losing two and a half levels of progress to a dead DS doesn't seem that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Summer Games Done Quick 2016 - Runners Without Chargers

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

sweetroy posted:

it's getting to the point where all these mario runs have been played so often that they're just not interesting to watch, kinda tough to get rid of though given that the community is all about them

My favorite runs are the ones that either have a good pile of commentary attached to them (last year's Resident Evil 4 run, for example, was fantastic, despite the length), are relatively short (20-30 minutes) and feature interesting tech, are completely and totally ruined by glitches, or are games that are just mind-boggling awful like pj's runthrough of Lagoon. The two New Super Mario games were just kinda "eh."

Given that this is for a charity, though, I'm fine if they keep these Mario runs if it helps to reel people in to donate. It does kinda make me a little miffed that otherwise fantastic commentators like CapnClever get shoved into poo poo-o'clock AM timeslots because their wheelhouse isn't Nintendo games or Squaresoft RPGs, but I understand why they do it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

What was good about it? I just figured one RE4 run was the same as another.

A good mix of commentary (they go fairly in depth into why they're taking certain actions over others and pepper in humor here and there) and gameplay (the dude playing was clearly very skilled at the game and had a huge number of hours invested). I normally find hour+ speedruns to be somewhat unbearable, but that one worked for me.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

This is so far my absolute favorite of the runs.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rorus Raz posted:

The thing I hated was the "Collectivism is bad too." story which, besides really convoluted in order to pull off, seems like the sort of thing a publisher would to placate the Rand acolytes the first game pissed off. Not that Bioshock 1 was CUTTING POLITICAL COMMENTARY, but Bioshock 2 had nothing to say.

As the Errant Signal dude put it best: the fact that all three Bioshock games mention sociopolitical ideas does not mean that they necessarily commentate on them.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Azazell0 posted:

Best endorsement ever.

"Don't ever buy these controllers." - romscout

I'd put that on the back of my controller box.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I thought the Bioshock run was pretty good but this is going to be the run to loving beat for the rest of the marathon.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Well, I just teared up a gosh darned little at this speedrunning marathon and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

This has been a loving rollercoaster of a day for SGDQ. I didn't think anything could be more memorable than romscout's blindfolded SotN, but here we are.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

All of these puns make me want to loving die.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

The big problem with the Sonic games is the same as the Megaman ones, there's always like five in a row lumped together and they're all the loving same game.

The good news is that the Sonic 2006 run should be loving really good. It was run a few years ago and it's a broken, buggy mess, as one would expect.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I looked at the schedule and someone is running Sonic 2006??? Won't half the run be loving loading screens?

Yes. Fortunately, you can also break the game in half like a twig, so it's worth a watch.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Equilibrium posted:

Why do the loading screens have loading screens :psyduck:

There was a tweet they displayed that explained it: whenever the game loads a level, it literally unloads and reloads every single asset. It's one of the most mind boggling programming decisions for a game made in 2006 that I've ever seen.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sonic '06 is a hilarious game to see speedrun, or to watch Medibot et al. suffer through it, but it would be nothing but mounting frustration trying to actually play through it yourself.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm really glad that *GDQ ended up teaming up with MSF, as I have absolutely zero qualms about donating to them. They're legitimately the best medical charity out there.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vakal posted:

Just let CapnClever comment all the games.

Poor bastard is stuck at some ungodly hour playing Monster Bash. Wish I could tune in to hear him, but I'll just have to watch the VOD later.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

voltcatfish posted:

this guy deserved to be on a bit earlier

I'm glad he's on a bit later so that he can just swear up a storm and make jokes about pregnancy tests without anyone's feathers getting ruffled.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Azazell0 posted:

Oh yeah, Deus Ex was awesome in a non-trainwreck way, definitely a must see as well.

This afternoon has been really solid too, I recommend Rygar and the Zelda II races to watch.

Deus Ex was loving hilarious and had some of the best commentary I've heard in quite a while. Just some German teen making bad jokes and belting out the occasional, "Oh, goddamn you!" while doing an impressively smooth run.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

raditts posted:

Did... Did they just cook and eat their pet pig on this game?

Quintet, if nothing else, was never afraid of making their games pretty drat dark for a children's action RPG.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vermain posted:

Quintet, if nothing else, was never afraid of making their games pretty drat dark for a children's action RPG.

For example, actually, since Wikipedia reminded me of it:

quote:

In keeping with Nintendo of America's censorship policies at the time of publication, numerous changes were made to the game to make certain story elements less dark. Most notably, the native tribe encountered near Angkor Wat were originally cannibals, with the skeletal remains lying around the village being the remnants of their own tribesmen, whom they had eaten to survive.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

raditts posted:

I remember my brother renting this game when we were kids and I never played it because it looked kinda lovely. It still kinda does, but now I want to play it just to experience this batshit story.

The Blazer saga (SoulBlazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma) are all pretty unexceptional action RPGs. I think most people remember them because they took much weirder, darker turns than other RPGs of their time, as well as being completely unapologetic about broadcasting their "nature vs. technology" theme load and clear.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Grizlor posted:

The last day usually makes like $200k or something because people procrastinate and also super metroid really hypes up the kill/save bid war. Hell, Chrono Trigger from the first time they hit $1M made like 80k just during that run.

I mean, we're also mere weeks removed from the start of an absolutely massive (and still ongoing) financial panic, so it's understandable if people are being a bit more skittish with their funds at the moment.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Aces High posted:

didn't they do a 0 door glitch race once?

Yep.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Bloody hell there's another megaman block?

There's a lot of loving Megan Man games out there. The previous block was the classics, and this is the X block.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

stringball posted:

The guy (tomato) that did work for that book did the mother 3 fan translation

He also worked on fan translations of a bunch of old SNES games like Bahamut Lagoon. Dude's pretty legit.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cubey posted:

This is the best GDQ event in years, maybe ever, what the hell

Completely agreed. Just a whole ton of memorable runs and they've polished the tech to a fine shine this year.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wait why did Bear Trap nuke the chat?

Why is that a banned thing?

It's the "trap" part, in specific, which (in Twitch chat, anyways) is occasionally used as a slur against transwomen.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

Any recommendations from AGDQ?

I liked CapnClever's runthrough of Prince of Persia. He's a good commentator and it's a reasonably fast game with some interesting tech. PJ's runthrough of Lagoon was also loving hilarious; the game just sucks, and he has excellent commentary on it along with three really great co-commentators on the couch.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I've had to watch Bonesaw's run in spurts because I'm legitimately hurting my mouth from smiling so much. Waow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mikedawson posted:

Wow! That's a great run!

Whoever sent in that Jeb Bush donation should get a medal, man.

(And then Bonesaw should get a second medal for sitting there completely stonefaced while the rest of the room cackles.)

• Locked thread