Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

CrashCat posted:

that's okay, I'm prepared for this, just let me load up my backup save. what, the backup save is corrupted? oh that's a hard lock. now the console won't turn on. why is your face melting? UA no put the knife down. I didn't touch a cable no no no stop help help

I see you watched PJ run something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Does anyone recall who is reading donations right now?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I love this game and the tricks are neat, but my goodness these two are low energy.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

im literally devastated

paper mario is the only reason for video games to exist how could they not do paper mario

SMRPG is a good speedgame, and LackAttack24 is a good speedrunner. It will be an excellent closer.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

SeXReX posted:

The single player systems break the game so much that most people aren't even interested in trying 4 player outside of the technical and geographical limitations involved.

Except that watching 4 friends play this together would be more interesting than this is.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Eonwe posted:

yes, it depends on the game, but generally speaking japanese text is faster to get through than other text

some games are an exception, I believe gta vice city does french

They said that for this one the only time difference is in the initial text. There may be some glitches that don't exist in the English version.

I know that SMRPG will be in English, and that the GDQ staff specifically requested the English version.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

Yeah but Paper Mario

i mean come on man

Ya, I know. I love me some Paper Mario.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Infidel Castro posted:

Let me rephrase: I don't really see how attending live would be any better than watching the stream.

The joy of attending is supposed to be found in hanging out in the casual room playing dumb games together.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

CrashCat posted:

all skeletons are good, but not all games with skeletons are good

Do skeletons make any game better?

I'm leaning towards yes.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

That was so perfect.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Welp. Just bought this game.

Also, HC is legit amazing.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Burginator posted:

Gnu was telling me about another run he did where he held somebody's hand the whole run :3:

He was supposed to hold hands with a girl who is battling cancer and has also lost control of half of her body. Unfortunately, her condition has worsened and she couldn't travel to SGDQ. It's one of the reasons he was so emotional.

It's also why he wants the FFA girl to be named Sam.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Maxwell Adams posted:

I really don't understand this. What kind of leverage does the charity have? What are they gonna do, refuse to accept a million dollars?

Doctors Without Borders could easily reject it, yes. SGDQ is a drop in the bucket relative to the annual donations they receive.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

mangler103 posted:

I hope the "Hey Brossentia" puns really ramp up over the week. Is Brossentia commentating on anything? He usually adds something to the proceedings.

He's not attending. Somehow that makes the "Hey Brossentia" donations even better.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mortimer posted:

So many developer intended glitches and workarounds, this game seriously owns, mystery japanese devs you own

Ya, figuring out the low% runs in this game was a lot of fun. There are so many alternate routes.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Samus best waifu.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

There's an atrocious amount of words, none of the characters are memorable in the slightest, and the combat system is nothing special. I legit don't get the appeal for it other than nostalgia which did not hold up when I played it again several years ago.

A friend of mine bought the Italian version of Golden Sun. It's great for reading practice.

I do the same thing kind of with Pokemon games now. I play one in English, and one in Italian.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Eonwe posted:

dkc3 wasnt as good as dkc or dkc2

Yes, even Eonwe can have a correct opinion on occasion.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

elentar posted:

Taking videogame strats (especially speedrunnimg and glitches) and reading them back onto 20th century novels like Pale Fire and Finnegans Wake.

Skipping to the last page of a book is the original speed strat.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

elentar posted:

This is oddly enough something that people have saying for centuries--because with drama you have to wait thru the whole thing.

I recall reading of recent studies showing that, generally speaking, having a movie/book/tv show spoiled doesn't substantially reduce the viewer's enjoyment.

I would probably enjoy reading your dissertation.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

this is called type 2 diabetes

The mansion did come with a candy wall.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

I'm pretty sure they sponsor it and all the normal stuff they would get a cut of goes directly to charity. It's good advertising and they probably get a lot of subscriptions for it.

I honestly cannot parse Notch's grievance besides this stupid tribal thing where gamers pretend to be akin to a racial minority.

Twitch bits are stupid.

Notch is also stupid.

Therefore, Twitch bits = Notch.

The man simply hates himself.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

I mean, Twitch does do stupid things like the bits, but this seems to be loving a charity because they decided to air Bob Ross marathons.

Ya, and it makes him look really, really petty.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Majuju posted:

This is sort of hilarious because almost every big streamer already has a tip jar, and will prominently display the highest tip in their current session, and allow people to send in messages with tips that're then read with text-to-speech. They've been doing this for quite some time - this is simply Twitch legitimizing the process, which was separate from subscription money as far as I understand?

Twitch is taking a higher percentage than the alternative systems were.

As long as linking to your PayPal donation page isn't banned, I have no issue with Twitch instituting the new system. And Twitch isn't dumb; they know how much money people will throw out just to see something happen in chat.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My little sister had this game. It's not bad for an NES title based on a Disney movie. More than anything, it's just way too short.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Majuju posted:

Twitch Bits are apparently $1.40 for 100, and 1 bit = 1 cent for a streamer. PayPal margin is supposedly 2.2% + 30 cents so it's probably...close? assuming Twitch isn't also taking a cut on the back-end, so it's really just Amazon trying to get in directly on action that's already happening. Y'know, like allowing operators to charge people to access private servers in the game you develop, or something.

If you're buying a dollar at a time, sure.

If you're spending more, PayPal becomes a much better deal than Twitch Bits, even with their discounts.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Has Notch even done anything after selling Minecraft? Why should anyone care about him?

He's stupid rich now, which means his opinion is automatically valid, regardless of the subject matter.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The guitar helped. Without feedback or an instrument to compare against, most vocalists have a hard time staying in tune. He did fine.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

SWMadness posted:

I've been on the road for the last two days for work, what are some runs I missed that are worth checking out?

Jedi Academy, Curse of Issyos, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, SOTN, Momodora, and Demon's Crest to start.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

AuthorBlues really knows his stuff. Good commentary.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

UraniumAnchor posted:

Runners who go over estimate are dragged into the street and left for the feral homeless.

(I've gone over estimate twice.)

Two bearded hobos exit, only one bearded hobo re-enters?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I never played this game... why is Kirby riding a scooter?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Floodkiller posted:

Are there any games that didn't manage to snag the #1 spot on Twitch during their slot?

I can't recall which games, but I've seen League in the #1 spot at least twice this week.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

I hope there was a donation incentive for doing the 100 super jumps.

It's required once for the current route.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Eonwe posted:

this event was a success if only for the fact that nobody had sex with anyone elses wife the we are aware of

If nothing else, they've learned not to write a pastebin about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Crain posted:

Now it's all about vine and twitter "moments".

Expect a 25 part vine epic in the coming weeks.

I guess it's time to officially admit that I'm old.

Deep down, I've known it for a while, but this just puts the nail in the coffin.

Time to roll up my sweat pants and spend the evening soaking my feet in epsom salt.

• Locked thread