Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
On the plus side the whole world gets to see how awful Tetris Attack/Puzzle League is at being a competitive game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Being a puzzle game enthusiast I'm genuinely curious why you think that. Tetris Attack is pretty fun.

i dunno why they do these things as a race and don't have them play against each other since the games are kinda made for 1v1 play, maybe it becomes a blowup unless you have evenly skilled players

With no way to attack your opponent (in fact garbage blocks give you more pieces to work with when cleared), Puzzle League matches devolve into stalling and waiting to see who dies first. Like if the runners, who are theoretically the best players in the world, are getting stonewalled by AI in a 20 year old game, there's a problem with the core game mechanics.

SRS Tetris also has this issue, and if you watch VS superplay matches on YouTube you'll notice that while it all looks impressive, matches are decided by who makes a mistake first. There have been Tetris games in the past where you could directly influence your opponent's board state depending on where you made your line clears, and those games were well-regarded competitively.

Conversely games like Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine overly reward offense, since garbage actively hinders your ability to make matches on the board. Since you have no way to defend yourself matches devolve into who can chain high enough to send enough garbage to fill the opponent's board first. This was fixed in subsequent Puyo games where you can offset incoming garbage with your own chains, and unsurprisingly the metagame has developed techniques that are basically the puzzle equivalent of fighting game footsies.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

What is it about this version that the other really good tetris people can't do it

I don't understand tetris

No hold piece or floor kicks, basically some nice quality of life features for new players aren't in TGM2

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Okay but like they said they don't race it because KevinDDR and the others can't keep up with Qlex, but they did race the other version of TGM2. That's what I'm not clear on

one mode goes a lot faster than the other and the other players don't specialize in tgm2 :v:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Beekeeping and You posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuPzPhCq2Ag&t=345s If you're curious, this is what happens at 1300

So, yeah, literally impossible at more than 1300 :v:

Mihara, the creator of TGM, has claimed that there exist additional levels beyond 1300 (since you currently can not attain Grandmaster rank in Shirase)

Nobody has been able to figure out how to this day

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Kanfy posted:

Apparently people reverse engineered it and found out that there's no such thing.

Do you believe?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I would like to see a crooked cartridge run of OoT

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Mukbang sounds like some kind of Pokemon themed bukkake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Have you ever seen Mike Uyama and Owen Wilson together at the same time? Didn't think so :tinfoil:

• Locked thread