Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Time to listen to awesome synth music for a few weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It is a tragedy that necrodancer coop and trine 3 coop have to be back to back at midnight

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I really hope she gave that the OK ahead of time because if not, god drat that's terrible :(

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Where's the archive of past speedruns

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Macaluso posted:

That item climb thing has been in like every drat game they've done this block. Does Bethesda leave that in on purpose?? :psyduck:

Most likely yes actually. They intentionally left in the ability to steal by putting a bucket on someone's head in skyrim because it was funny and didn't really hurt the game. Similar thing here, minus the funny part. If I was a bethesda programmer I'm not really sure I would bother to change it either. It's basically a speedrunner's trick and that's it, there's no way for it to interfere with the game unless you intentionally do it. The game already lets you open up the console and cheat anytime you want.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Definitely watch skyrim

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm watching the trine 3 recording and it's just the best. Trine is so chill and good

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I am excited for pikmin. Pikmin is good

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

pikmen happens at 3 in the morning how am i suppoesed to stay up for that

You can watch the recording but you only have 30 hours to do so before life support runs out

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Why tf aren't they doing pikmin 2 and 3 too

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pikmin makes for an interesting run because of all the strategy and multitasking involved (although it comes through a lot more in the 8 day challenge)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

gently caress I can already tell this is going to be the cool chill kind of run which means I'm staying up for another hour aren't I

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

Twitch chat is literally nothing but emotes. Did they switch off text messages?

Just close the chat window, it's a worthless high speed montage of transphobic slurs and memes

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I forgot how janky the pikmin can be in pikmin 1. The random little losses that's going to cause (and has already caused) could make it awkward to win in the number of days she's planning on

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

It's not janky, or at least not unintentionally so. Miyamoto wanted the Pikmin to have little AI quirks to reinforce the idea that they're autonomous living things and not just another cog in Olimar's murder marchine.

I started with pikmin 2 which was polished to a sheen and very consistent in general, so going back to pikmin 1 just felt like the game was not put together as well, which is what you'd expect because it was a weird idea put together from scratch on a new console. Little things like pikmin randomly becoming disbanded when you're not watching or dying when they shouldn't just felt like collision issues caused by mashing 100 objects into a really enclosed space.

This run is awesome for me because I played pikmin and pikmin 2 a ridiculous number of times but I feel like she is really not explaining much for people who aren't already familiar with the game, which is too bad because none of these multitasking strategies are going to be apparent to them

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Frankly I am amazed none of the random deaths so far have been caused by bomb rocks. I never beat pikmin 1 a single time without any accidents because something always go wrong when you try to use them to kill enemies, and you never know when a pikmin will decide to linger just a little longer than usual for no reason when you are blowing up a wall.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Snagret got fuckin ruined

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

She did not actually run up onto the snagret plateau since there are 3 up there and that would take time, so killing the snagret with the ship part required its head to get stuck in the ground (RNG). It did on the second unborrow which led to an alpha strike

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The only pikmin I ever executed was a yellow who threw a bomb rock directly at a group of other pikmin, because it decided it needed to bomb a pellet posy. The traitor was drowned in front of the squad.

I am not really sure if I got the right one but let's not think too much about that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Puffy blowhog coming in for the run ender

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Trying to lure her into the crawmads, no less.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zoom in to throw off the AI...
Is it gone?

SHWEEEEEEWWWW!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

God drat, 10 parts in one day got turned into 5 in the end because of blowhog/snitchbug tag team

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You wanted flowers on everyone before the last boss? gently caress YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There's no time limit in pikmin 2. On my first playthrough I didn't get every treasure until after day 100 :shobon:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In pikmin 2 before the game even starts your lovely bankrupt company sends you back to the planet you just spent the whole first game fighting for your life to escape, because they need some loving money now just to hold off the loan sharks

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oh poo poo we are not missing our lunch break here just put the sutures fuckin anywhere ugh

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm pretty sure we have negative medical licenses at this point

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ah yes, the standard pre-surgery pentagram ritual

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The next time I get surgery done I want to stay awake so I can see the part where they blast the little bats inside of me with a laser

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oh poo poo when do they teach you how to defuse bombs in med school

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I am so glad for the pepsiman run

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

Twitch chat is sometimes garbage but mostly fun, it's okay to think they're being dumb when they say offensive poo poo while still enjoying the realtime flood of memes and emotes in relevant situations. the 4 man single input tas run was great with chat for example. Like the bad poo poo gets moderated I dunno what more you want, there's really no reason to be a big baby about the masses not voluntarily embracing your pet political issue.

Out of grim curiosity I've periodically opened the chat window for a few seconds at a time throughout this whole GDC. In the last two days, I cannot think of a single time I've done this without immediately seeing hate targeting my demographic. That is not a loving "pet political issue." I don't expect it to change but gently caress if I'm not going to make fun of how dumb these kids are. When chat isn't throwing edgy jokes around, it's nothing but emotes and prepackaged lines repeated at a rate of 100 idiots/sec. You could not have picked a dumber thing to try to defend.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

even if you have to refresh the page, this thread serves all the same purposes as chat and the quality is orders of magnitude better (most of the time)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yes Pepsiman aside, the awful games were definitely better last time

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What scared me about pepsiman was realizing after the run that the FMVs could have been skipped if the incentive wasn't met. God bless everyone who donated for them

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What was going on with that mirror image of samus

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That was fuckin creepy

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Did nobody else see that loving hand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector