Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, at least she's being positive about her run.

https://twitter.com/emilybrks/status/750562317771898881

(fixed)

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pikmin makes for an interesting run because of all the strategy and multitasking involved (although it comes through a lot more in the 8 day challenge)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

i'm fuckin jealous of that hair i cant get it to grow or curl like that

its a curse, you dont want it trust me

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

I've never yet seen a good Pikmin run; hopefully this bucks that trend.

It's a shame because the series' speedruns are actually loving cool. It's just that every time they've been at a GDQ they've bombed

Man gently caress this, do what needs to be done with the animals, that's all in good fun, but you leave the Pikmin out of this you monster :stare:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

i'm fuckin jealous of that hair i cant get it to grow or curl like that

That's his hat; Olimar's actually almost bald.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

gently caress I can already tell this is going to be the cool chill kind of run which means I'm staying up for another hour aren't I

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Zorglorfian posted:

Twitch chat ruins everything

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Zorglorfian posted:

2 is amazing and 3 is a masterpiece. Highly recommended. 1 is good, but the sequels keep on improving the machanics to insanely great degrees.
Oh, neat. That's good to know.

I don't own a Wii-U but should it ever come to pass that I do, checking out Pikmin 3 has been near the top of my priorities list for awhile.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Azazell0 posted:

Well, at least she's being positive about her run.

"Emily Brooks
‏@emilybrks
BTW don't watch my run it's trash"

(sorry, I don't know how to embed a tweet)

Just drop the link into your post (you don't need any tags or anything); the forum will handle the rest.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I have never played a Pikmin game before but already this is looking like my poo poo

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

Just drop the link into your post (you don't need any tags or anything); the forum will handle the rest.

Thanks.

Her latest tweet is a bit more positive. I dunno, I think it's going well so far?

https://twitter.com/emilybrks/status/751671648604999680

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Aces High posted:

I have never played a Pikmin game before but already this is looking like my poo poo
Pikmin is probably among my top five favorite Nintendo games, though where exactly I'd be hard pressed to say.

If you own any Nintendo console they've made a Pikmin game for, I'd give it a shot.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Erata posted:

I have no idea what to expect from a Pikmin run.

From the forest onwards, it is an insane amount of multitasking. Very fast-paced and difficult.

Back in the day, the 9 day challenge was the thing. This will be an 8 day run, which is nuts; the WR is 6 days which is some sort of black magic. Even 7 days is nearly impossible.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The waggle controls are technically the fastest way to play the Pikmin games I believe, but god I've never liked them and I feel they suck so much casually. I respect the gently caress out of speedrunners who commit to it

The Pikmin 3 speedrun is probably my favorite in the franchise but the GDQ run of it a few years back is tough to watch. Try looking up some current WRs, it's such a cool route and there's neat glitch usage going on

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
kinda weird they''re showing the couch but not the streamer

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Twitch chat is literally nothing but emotes. Did they switch off text messages?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

She's there, but using a remote + nunchuk so you may have missed it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rorus Raz posted:

You can probably guess why

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

ArbitraryC posted:

hmm? she's the one with the wiimote and nunchuk on the couch

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

You can probably guess why
I didn't realize you could even DO that, but yeah I understand why and good on them for doing it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

Just close the chat window, it's a worthless high speed montage of transphobic slurs and memes

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Again a reminder to use Livestreamer. Saved my life. Made me lose weight, too.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Rorus Raz posted:

If only it were always like this. It still wouldn't be worth reading, but at least no-one unsuspecting would be subjected to it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Rorus Raz posted:

She's there, but using a remote + nunchuk so you may have missed it

To be fair, I missed it at first as well. Too used to looking for someone sitting out front in a chair.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
I've had chat turned off for the whole marathon. It's almost always worthless, and for events like these with 100,000+ viewers it's just lovely "memes" moving through at a hundred miles an hour anyway.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Cubey posted:

From the forest onwards, it is an insane amount of multitasking. Very fast-paced and difficult.

Back in the day, the 9 day challenge was the thing. This will be an 8 day run, which is nuts; the WR is 6 days which is some sort of black magic. Even 7 days is nearly impossible.

Cool, thanks. It's been soooo many years since I played this game.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Aces High posted:

hmm? she's the one with the wiimote and nunchuk on the couch

Oh my bad I didn't realize she was on the couch, I feel like this is the first time I haven't seen the runner front n center on their own chair.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

Oh my bad I didn't realize she was on the couch, I feel like this is the first time I haven't seen the runner front n center.

It's a Wiimote game, so the runner has to be quite far from the TV.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

ArbitraryC posted:

Oh my bad I didn't realize she was on the couch, I feel like this is the first time I haven't seen the runner front n center on their own chair.

it's not that uncommon, but the controllers are usually easier to see

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!

Bad Seafood posted:

Oh, neat. That's good to know.

I don't own a Wii-U but should it ever come to pass that I do, checking out Pikmin 3 has been near the top of my priorities list for awhile.

Great to hear that you'll check out the series. It's really underrated, adorable, and addicting, kinda (speedrunning wise).

Playing them in order will help you with the story, and 2 has A BUNCH of flavor text in the enemy and treasure logs.

As an aside, great avatar.

This is a great and fun run. Life needs more Pikmin.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Azazell0 posted:

Again a reminder to use Livestreamer. Saved my life. Made me lose weight, too.
:agreed:, but I was curious to see if GDQ was moderating the chat and they are so great.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

My favorite Pikmin is 2 but I think 3 is like, objectively the best one. It's such a weirdly moody, depressing series.

I did some research and if I'm reading this right, apparently Emily is the only person with a registered single-segment 6-day run (that is to say, no soft resetting??). If I'm correct about this, holy poo poo

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
After the debacle of the Ty speedrun, I didn't expect them to be more active with moderation. Good on them. (the difference is the Ty speedrun totally deserved its heckling)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I forgot how janky the pikmin can be in pikmin 1. The random little losses that's going to cause (and has already caused) could make it awkward to win in the number of days she's planning on

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
The couch looks comfy, I would def sit there if I was the speedrunner

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Pikmin are a helpful, simple lot.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

BaronVanAwesome posted:

The couch looks comfy, I would def sit there if I was the speedrunner

I find myself suddenly wondering why it's not more common tbh

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Digirat posted:

I forgot how janky the pikmin can be in pikmin 1. The random little losses that's going to cause (and has already caused) could make it awkward to win in the number of days she's planning on
It's not janky, or at least not unintentionally so. Miyamoto wanted the Pikmin to have little AI quirks to reinforce the idea that they're autonomous living things and not just another cog in Olimar's murder marchine.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Grimace posted:

After the debacle of the Ty speedrun, I didn't expect them to be more active with moderation. Good on them. (the difference is the Ty speedrun totally deserved its heckling)

what happened with it? i only caught the beginning

pikmin 1, 2, and 3 are all incredible games btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Zorglorfian posted:

Great to hear that you'll check out the series. It's really underrated, adorable, and addicting, kinda (speedrunning wise).

Playing them in order will help you with the story, and 2 has A BUNCH of flavor text in the enemy and treasure logs.

As an aside, great avatar.

This is a great and fun run. Life needs more Pikmin.
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I've alread played the first one. It's probably one of my favorite games. I just haven't checked out either of the sequels for various reasons, some of them incidental.

This run is actually really getting me into the mood to revisit the first game. Unfortunately, I let a friend borrow it back in the day and he lost it.

And thanks for the compliment.

• Locked thread