Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Will be going again this summer, working a couple graveyard shifts at the donation station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
At SGDQ after 30-odd hours of traveling. Now to watch while finishing dissertation revisions, because my life decisions are the best and worst all at the same time.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Will definitely stop by, I'm scheduled for two graveyard shifts later this week. :unsmith:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Rirse posted:

A little girl was watching her dad and was curious about what SGDQ was about. And she decided to use her piggybank money to donate 5 dollars toward not killing the animals.

Now there's a ton of donations in the queue that are $5.54 (the amount when converted from her UK donation) or $55.40 or similarly inspired numbers.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

that was cool

at least he gets one game off before having to come back to do SotN blindfolded

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

This is great, even the most basic rooms become really tense.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Just got caught in monsoon on way back from dinner, nice.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

mandatory lesbian posted:

i've been here a month and this is like, the second thunderstorm minneapolis has had

not very frequent but drat when they happen they don't pussy around

there's another coming thursday

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Quest For Glory II posted:

momodora - cave story style art, some of the momodora series is like metroidvania, some arent. consider this the honorary touhou of the marathon

yes but halfcoordinated will be running it with his one good hand and he owns so watch it anyway

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Minrad posted:

they should run undertale at agdq so that there's never another discussion about if undertale should be at a gdq again

the event is about raising money and this stands to make a shitton of money so i feel like they could sacrifice an hour to it at least once a year and everyone can just take an extended piss break or something

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

room getting pretty bummed out

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

King of Solomon posted:

Are you at the hotel, Studio? I'm curious of the storm killed the power.

power is on, barely even a flicker so far. pretty impressive considering

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

I wonder if the hotel lost the entire internet connection rather than power, then...

i'm on the hotel internet, so who knows. it's something. poor guy is sitting there waiting to navigate his twinkie at long last through the final jump and can't do it yet

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

the cat death sprite is adorably sad

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Innerguard posted:

That actually made me cry. I love that you can hear the emotion in the announcer's voice. Goddamn, HC.

Bob was definitely the right host for that run, kudos schedulers

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

next game will be run by the young republicans chapter president

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Is the tracklisting for bumper music new this year? It's a really nice touch.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Dias posted:

look it's lazy cosplaying "dude in suit" especially if you look like agent 47 instead of braidude

hi i'm your high school principal and this is games done quick

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

yeah, that cycle skip at the end was good, will show it off next time i teach this

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

apparently an RTA world record? huh

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Just remember, MechaRichter's next.

Gamma Nerd posted:

i wonder how good the :420: in minnesota is

Solid and plentiful

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Yes

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Zorglorfian posted:

Thanks! This gives me an incentive to donate more! :)

MSF are one of if not the best and most effective charity groups on the planet. If I had huge amounts of money it'd go to them before anyone else.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Also literally just finished revising the Metroid section of my dissertation at the Zero Mission run, that was fun. Time for a nap.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

timp posted:

what is your dissertation

Taking videogame strats (especially speedrunnimg and glitches) and reading them back onto 20th century novels like Pale Fire and Finnegans Wake.

Somehow I'm getting away with this in my English department. And getting finding to go to GDQs (which are basically academic conferences). I dunno.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

TheMadMilkman posted:

Skipping to the last page of a book is the original speed strat.

This is oddly enough something that people have saying for centuries--because with drama you have to wait thru the whole thing.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

TheMadMilkman posted:

I recall reading of recent studies showing that, generally speaking, having a movie/book/tv show spoiled doesn't substantially reduce the viewer's enjoyment.

I would probably enjoy reading your dissertation.

Sure, just drop me a DM here or something if you want, I have to finish by the end of the month.

mangler103 posted:

WOW.

I'm trying to fit GDQ into my research as well. I study pedagogy in interaction design. I have a crackpot theory about studying how speedrunners manage to memorize entire games, and learn how to speedrun a game. Especially epically long games like RPGs.

That might have to wait until I'm tenured somewhere though.

Sounds really cool, would love to hear about the theory sometime—I'm actually giving a paper on ultra-speedrunning in the fall (specifically, Final Fantasy XII Order of Ambrosia%, which is about 27-30 hours), very intrigued by all that.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

We're actively pushing through donations to try and keep people spasmodically applauding

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

also pretty low-key hilarious that Bonesaw has an extra pair of sunglasses hanging from his shirt

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

the GDQ staff is trolling the hell out of him now, Vulajin is really enjoying this

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

GeneX posted:

I'm tempted to donate as "AirCanada" with the message "We hate you."

oh, i'll put it through

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

guys seriously if you could see the tech station right now

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

This is what's staring back at him

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

GeneX posted:

I think my comment as Air Canada was rejected :(

(Yeah, "We hate you." is banned for good reason, but still.)

not rejected but just not read by host, i think

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

he may actually be hallucinating at this point

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Whiteboard in question

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Dias posted:

Oh, Bonesaw ran it. I'mma check it out later.

i'd recommend staying up for about 48 hours straight first to put yourself in the right mindset

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

pulp rag posted:

Ugh, it's starting to storm here in Minneapolis. Hope the power stays up for these guys.

if it stayed up through Tuesday's storm it should survive this one all right

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

i like how the basic speedrun movement from this game is Max Payne prancing around like it's a goddamn springtime meadow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Dias posted:

Okay, this Jak and Daxter run goes PLACES by the end of the first hour.

just you wait

• Locked thread