Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I am looking forward to enjoying these video games :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

All the summer events happen at once so there's a billion stickies, I'm glad this one will be... done quick.

Actually the goal of the charity drive is not to finish it quickly as that would negatively impact the ability for them to collect funds for their charity. While you are correct in that the goal of each run of the individual performer's demonstration is to go quickly, the actual charity itself is not designed to be finished any faster than the normal 154 hour allotted time. Sometimes it goes on slightly longer. I'd also add that the charity itself has to be over at the designated time as the staff involved have spent many, many countless hours and thousands of dollars making arrangements for their hotel stays, etc. It would do untold harm for them to have all this equipment/space allocated to them only to finish it early. The charity drive shall not end one second before it is expected to according to the schedule, as they have done very single year this charity drive has been going on since 2010.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

tbh I'm too upset to post right now cause i just noticed my man bonesaw got hit with a jack and daxter graveyard shift run this year, his agdq14 opener was one of my favorite runs of all speedruns. I hope the tiny canadian has an audience in the room for it cause he always seems genuinely stoked to perform for a crowd :(

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What about this page makes you think a man did this? Please keep your blatant sexism out of the sgdq thread, this is supposed to be an open, welcome venue for all.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

the room setup is quite nice and classy this year in this poster's opinion:

https://twitter.com/World9Gaming/status/749607584156581892

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

this ui is really great. remember it was just 3 years ago we had to endure this eyesore:

I'm looking for my favorite GDQ gif if anyone can help me. It's a did with long hair about to clap and then he glances to the guy not clapping to his left and aborts his clap. It makes me laugh every time I see it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

this runner has a good attitude and good vibes. digging his upbeat personality.

Also if anyone can help me out here:

beep by grandpa posted:

I'm looking for my favorite GDQ gif if anyone can help me. It's a did with long hair about to clap and then he glances to the guy not clapping to his left and aborts his clap. It makes me laugh every time I see it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

lmfao

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

speedrunner talking up the toughness of a boss, surely the boss is as difficult as he is making it out to be!!!!!!!!!!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

hahahahahahahahahahahah yesssssssssssss thank you, my friend.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Rirse posted:

Ugh, the Sam donation is down by 300 dollars to the stupid Jeff name. Going to skip that run if it wins.

holy poo poo quit acting like a baby, be supportive instead of stomping your feet imo. you see the name for literally 3 seconds.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lotsa people here asking for an HD port of this game, which I'm down for but has Mario ever given a significant update/port of any mainline mario games to modern systems? All I can think of is mario all-stars.

edit: meant to say nintendo but leaving it cause it's funny thinking mario produces his own video games

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

hn yeah but that only kinda halfway counts cause it's not a true hd port. I wonder why they don't do HD ports of mario?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Crain posted:

In case people want to understand why some of us here want to get Sam as the file name for A Link Between Worlds, instead of just posting spiteful edgelord shite.

i think everyone in this thread gets why Sam is being rooted for in this thread but bear in mind the other 121,000 people watching the stream do not know about her story. I will be happy if that name wins but posting stupid poo poo in here getting legit angry (not saying you are doing this) and saying they won't watch the run if some other name wins is unbearably stupid and embarrassing

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

if jeff winning is make you mad irl i would recommend donating to the name or use your social networks to encourage your friends and family to also donate to the cause.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Fawf posted:

has that even happened

yea read my earlier posts i quoted some baby in here.

CrashCat posted:

wow what the gently caress that is no way to talk about funkdoc

I thought of the samme joke but decided it would be in poor taste to make fun of my friend blueglass

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I am enjoying this run. Runner's bulletproof enthusiastic attitude and good explanations of tech made up for his rough start!

Also I never played Super Mario Sunshine but I do like the detail that this I think is the only mario game where mario has his sleeves rolled up?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I am glad that miyomoto allowed mario to be comfortable while completing his court ordered community service :)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I would like to play this video game but two things bother me: I've heard of the infamous non-tracking of the blue coins which are needed for 100% and I don't quite know how I feel about Bowser having a voice.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Azazell0 posted:

Livestreamer makes everything better.

this was the first time I didn't have to set it up again and it instantly worked from my agdq16 install :hfive:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

these prize announcements reminded me of the first time I ever saw a naked woman as a kid - she was on the beach and had a super mario towel. thank you for reading my story ;)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I haven't heard anyone say this before but I was just thinking that Super Mario Sunshine is basically what Sonic Adventure 1 could have been if it was made by competent developers. What do you think?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

And they still couldn't make the level design great. So that sounds about right.

I haven't played sunshine yet but I think I would like it

I think what I mean more is sunshine looks like an actual video game with very clear objectives and movement behavior, adventure 1 looks like a weird art project by first time coders created out of pure contempt for the player

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

^^ I enjoyed this run but an 8 is a bit much, I'll need you to bring that down to a 7 or 7.5

also why is mario being such a dick to bowser in this game? to me it looks like he's just kickin it with peach in his hottub and things look pretty chill

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Please don't send this person hate/death threats, be strong goons

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

are we at least agreed that we're happy she beat jeff.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

SeXReX posted:

moral of the story is the internet sucks

the internet doesn't suck necessarily, another way to look at it is that's a bunch more money for charity that would have otherwise not gone to it. it's not like they were removing money from the cancer guy name's pool.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

call me old fashioned but i've been on the internet a long, long time *snaps suspenders* and raising a shitload of money for charity just to harmlesslyh usurp another guy's name on something that appears on screen for 3 seconds is not the worst atrocity the internet has committed. unless the funds were immediately charge-backed because that actually does suck and is dirty pool.

edit: I'm referring to the 4chan thing not sam/jeff/roowhatever

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

honestly i think if the roo gentleman is like a big name streamer and someone sent him a concise screenshot of the sam/jeff/wahtever donation totals with a summarized C&P of samantha's story I think there's prob a good chance he would try to use his influence to get Sam in somewhere else. big name personalities are generally good about this sort of thing.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

The video glitching is looking kind of rough. I hope that 3DS doesn't fail until they're finished.

it's prob not the 3ds itself but their capture/cable equipment

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sage Grimm posted:

Oh hey, perfect time to tune in. Also I'm the guy who made that Zelda cross-stitch that's on donation right now. Get it, it's pretty sweet.

this is really cool!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

so the runner just said a lot of people had issues getting the pegasus boots and he didn't know why and I was one of those people and I will tell you why.

LTTP is one of my fav games and the thief's behavior in ALBW is supposed to mirror a villager you can meet in LTTP who runs from you when you get near him. in LTTP you needed the pegasus boots you reach him so I figured in ALBW you needed the boots to reach him as well so I just ignored him for a while thorugh the game until I had a light-bulb moment

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

^^ wow, I take it back. get it together next time sheesh.

Eonwe posted:

bummed I wont be able to watch much until Tues

I think you should keeep posting anyway it's not the same without you :-]

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

quoting myself cause it's at the bottom of a realy gay rear end page and i think it's a good idea but I'm not the guy to do it. please believe in roo.

beep by grandpa posted:

honestly i think if the roo gentleman is like a big name streamer and someone sent him a concise screenshot of the sam/jeff/wahtever donation totals with a summarized C&P of samantha's story I think there's prob a good chance he would try to use his influence to get Sam in somewhere else. big name personalities are generally good about this sort of thing.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm real mad that not only is Demon's Souls the only Soulsborne there but it's on at the same time as football

Man DS3 with the new (well, new-ish) any% skips would have been great.

Me too but tbh the bloodborne run this year was really loving lame and was the most disappoiting part of agdq16 this year for me.

Sidenote, I mentioned how upset I was at this in the speedruns thread a very nice gentleman linked me some chinese runner's bloodborne all bosses + dlc WR and it was one of the hypest runs i have ever fuckin seen. I recommend it!!!!!!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

crash bandicoot suicide% gave me cancer.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Iwish I could make your posts grow bright gold like mine
edit: blueglass :3:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Insurrectionist posted:

I can't remember that run but I'll take your word for it - honestly BB seems like one of the worst games for a marathon like this because the difference between safe and regular strats can be so huge, and unlike the Souls games where you can generally kill most bosses without getting hit pretty consistently, in BB you're always at their mercy to some extent. So to avoid it going over-long and risking embarrassing deaths or worse the runners might do pretty boring and lengthy strategies.

Just a pity to miss out on all the teardrop shenanigans in DS3. The any% is only like 40 minutes long too.

it's probably a tough sell getting a gaame into a maarathon that just came out, what, 3 months before?

for any GDQ historians out there what are some examples for quickest turnaround of game release > marathon run? I would be very interested to know :)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Crain posted:

Oh wow. I didn't know that. I figured they just kept it off because so many people complained.

In case anyone wants to relive that run or doesn't know what we're talking about

highlight reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_WqMMBBUMY

the full run:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILCWRZk9GUU

internet, swimming pool, piss, etc

edit: ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Endorph posted:

the guy made jokes about domestic abuse and killing himself, hosed up every single moment of the run, and then got on twitter to call people cunts and SJWs

in his defense I do all of the above all day on SA and twitter but I have the sense to not do it at a live charity even where my name/face is shown and I am representing a charity drive worth millions

• Locked thread