Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I want that Weird Mario thing very badly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Crain posted:

Me literally screaming

Well get to bidding on it nerd.

July 8th. 6:25pm.

Super Mario Maker Run.

More literal screaming

I- I know. I just said I want to win it. why are you yelling :((((((

I bought the Weird Mario shirt. It's great. Now I need that Weird Mario thing. I need all Weird Mario things.

Maxwell Adams posted:

I hope they stop trying to be so professional. That e-sports vibe they went for last time really bummed me out. Don't put them in an interview chair and ask them to participate in a press release about speedrunning, let them do whatever they feel like doing to entertain themselves/the audience. I'm not here because I want to see the employees in a speedrun factory, I want to see nerds be nerds.

No, it's better now.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

It's plutonium, idiot!!!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

OH MY GOD

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

This game actually looks fun.

Did the not meet the incentive for Mega Man 9? :(

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

emdash posted:

It already happened

Oh good, good.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I got Contra III for Christmas one year and we had to go to a relative's for New Years and I was having trouble beating the game. So I got to the helicopter fight and put a chair on the fire button and stood in the corner and came back to 99 lives. The best.

IT'S NOT KNITTING

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Demon's Crest rules

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

get bodied

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

please stop

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Can we stop sayin' dude- AWDUDE

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Are they saying Super Mario Bros. is a false flag operation?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Man Super Mario RPG rules. I wish they'd make a real sequel.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Internet Kraken posted:

There's a bunch of Mario RPGs now.

A real sequel.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Hahaha that was terrible

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Rorus Raz posted:

I hear Miyamoto or SOMEONE at Nintendo was upset at all the story and new characters in the RPGs, so they dialed that back and it's why a lot of the newer rpgs (Paper Mario and M&L) are kinda bland "Rescue Peach" stories that don't do anything fun with the characters nor introduce any cool new ones.

Bowser's Inside Story and TTYD door are good as gently caress though.

Agreed. I like both those series, I'd just like a return to this setting, I guess. I could go for more Mallow and Geno.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

When did they say AGDQ would be?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Hahaha livelyraccoon's viewer count jumped from 24 to 15,000

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Dias posted:

Personal highlights:

- Jak and Daxter, aka Naruto and Pikachu: The Quest for Owen Wilson's Car Keys, aka Bonesaw's Fever Dream. The run itself wasn't BAD either, but the slow descent into madness makes it.
- SOTN blindfolded, because it's SOTN blindfolded. Also a bit of trainwreckiness added in for flavor.
- Jedi Academy, which is a legit great run to watch with great commentary by a very enthusiastic dude. Take a bath.
- Momodora, because it had the most :3: moment of the stream and Halfcoordinated is awesome anyway.
- Dustforce, although it starts a bit slow. The run is pretty chill and technically sound for a while, then they hit the Difficult levels and all the butts clench.
- Tetris block. If you have to ask...
- Super Mario Maker blind race, which wasn't a blowout this year, featured some fun levels and Chronic (?) carrying the team on his back.
- PEPSIMAN FOR TV-GAME
- TASBot as a whole was good, but one controller four games is definitely the better run if you can only be bothered to watch one.
- Super Metroid Running Man%. :getin:
- oh, I almost forgot about SMW grandma% low%. I was kinda busy when it was going on so I almost missed out on it, but I think it qualifies.

Honorable mentions:

- Demon's Crest featured a lovely group of high school stoners that grew up on me as the run went on, dude. It's very chill but maybe not as good if you're not watching it 3am like I did, dude.
- The entirety of GB block and Kirby stuff (bar Riders) was pretty cool. Like, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it if pressed for time but ProtoMagicalGirl did some great commentary and it was pretty cute and fun.
- I liked both Freedom Planet and Guacamelee, not enough to highlight but enough that I think I should mention them. the commentary was fine stfu
- Bioshock was a fine run with a really good joke in it.
- Quackshot had some good commentary too, kinda lost in the middle of a bunch of runs I don't really remember.
- Sonic 06 is a broken mess.
- Bionic Commando because it's my boi PJ. In fact, the whole platformer block from Shatterhand to Gimmick might be worth a watch.
- Elder Scrolls block?? I don't give a gently caress about those games, but up to Morrowind the runs were fun. I fell asleep during Morrowind because I was tired as gently caress.

poo poo to avoid:

- Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, which might be the worst run in the entire marathon. Insufferable commentator and not cringey enough for you masochists, I think.
- Trials Fusion was a failure of a showcase, even if the last levels were actually pretty impressive. Dead commentary, no music, lots of custom levels that were boring to watch but had references.

Dishonorable mentions:

- The small block between Dustforce and Escape Goat 2 really isn't worth watching, and Prompt was especially bad. Short enough that whatever, I'll let it pass, but it also had the one stream crash of the marathon during a game so there's that too.
- Mighty Gunvolt was a dead run of a Megaman clone. Use your fuckin' words, people
- the "awful block" not named awful block was really nothing this year :smith:

I guess those are my $0.02 for the thread. It really was a great GDQ.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I'd add:

Super Mario Sunshine - A solid opener with cool tricks and good commentary. Should be traditional for Summer forever.
Catherine - Intense puzzling action. That last part was mind-blowing.
New Super Mario Bros. 1 & 2 - I fall into that weird Nintendo fan category that actually really likes the NSMB games and these are two good runs of two good games. The first run is great all-around, the second has the utterly hilarious dying DS.
The Rapid Angel - Caveman, the leader of the PlayStation Nation, is always great and this game is so weird and kinda bad. Look out for that bush that shoots cats.
Hagane and Skyblazer - The Omnigamer block was great, with Skyblazer being a real standout.
Mega Man 8 - Many peoples' least-favorite Mega Man, but one of my favorites. Really good commentary, too.
Curse of Issyos - A fun race on a game I'd never heard of but now kinda want to give a try.
Dino City - Anything by Team PLC is great. This is the Yoshi's Island you never knew.
Donkey Kong Country 3 - The best game in the series in a really competitive race.
The Little Mermaid - Good, super-short run with fun commentary.
Klonoa - More Caveman, a good come-down after the amazing Jak and Daxter run.
Super Mario Land - With Waluigi mode active.
Super Mario Bros. 3 - Insightful commentary and a really good run.
Super Mario World (All Castles) - A very competitive race in a neat category.
Mega Man X3 - Caleb is real good at Mega Man, ya'll.
Super Mario 64 - A great encore. Having that one last bonus game is a really good donation incentive.

I'm also gonna break with hivemind and give a special shout-out to all three JRPGs this year. Illusion of Gaia, Final Fantasy VI, and Super Mario RPG are all really, really good runs and worth your time. I really love Mario RPG so if I had to pick one it'd be that. A great ending.

• Locked thread