Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

MikeJF posted:

IIRC the swordfight gets more and more impossibly intense as reality breaks down and also Picard's sword is Q so there might well have been lightning and stuff.

That book was great read when I was 13, I do know that.

I remember Peter David was probably my favorite ST author as a kid, but my favorite book was Blaze of Glory, where they're chasing some pirate piloting a Constitution class ship with a cloaking device.

Edit: You know, books were probably the majority of my experience with Star Trek for a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I like the TOS movie uniforms and how they always make the actors look like uncomfortable grumpy old people.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

:smith: that's kind of a shame if true

Maybe she's gotten better since then!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

I always thought it was a shame that all the main ships in the TNG-era were brand-new at the start of the series; I really liked how the OS Enterprise had a history before Kirk took command.

Start watching TNG at season 3, that solves this and other problems.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Wasn't it an overreaction to the dislike of DS9's extended goodbye montage?

I liked it. The made it home, the end. It's not like I give a poo poo about any of the characters.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

You know, as a writer for Voyager, if you were trying to stay under the radar, you wouldn't be this obvious.

What I said I'd only seen a dozen or so episodes?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I just assumed the Klingons were typically straightforward in their finances and unused to the sort of shadow accounting Quark uncovered. Plus lol the nerd is trying to teach the jocks.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Last time I watched Cause and Effect, I kinda hated it. Like, an hour of drama and the result was that retroactively nothing happened? Just because Data is magic basically? It used to be a favorite until I overthought it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Humerus posted:

I guess I'm late to the good episodes of TNG chat but I'm surprised nobody mentioned Parallels.

It's also the worst episode because it reveals that it never matters what happens in any episode, because actually everything happens and we're just watching one particular random combination of outcomes.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

CPColin posted:

I've got some bad news for you about the nature of the universe (maybe).

I don't care if my own life lacks dramatic tension.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Isometric Bacon posted:

Me too please. Feels like we're on the sinking ship of the Titanic.

... That probably should have been a Star Trek reference...

Don't worry it was.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Imagine if a civilization just barely managed to survive a terrible natural disaster, with everybody suffering for generations. However, the civilization manages to persevere long enough to obtain warp speed travel. They join the federation, and things are going well for a few years. However somebody uncovers an old mission record, and discovers the federation could have easily prevented the whole disaster in the first place.

It would probably be like if we found out someone could've prevented the Bronze Age Collapse or something.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I was thinking I'd do a truncated TNG rewatch with my uninitiated spouse starting with season 3, but I'm not sure I want to start her with Wesley creating a new species.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

i was just thinking, as i re-watch s1 and s2, that i will continue to recommend they not be skipped.

there is definitely a lot of dud episodes but they also develop the characters a lot in those two seasons imo

E: i just intentionally watched Pen Pals again, it isnt as bad as i remember
e2: the royale was pretty much as bad as i remember.

There's no way in hell I'm watching every episode of those seasons and I'm too lazy to skip around.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Nessus posted:

Probably because it's in the third quarter. :v:

Ah, the magic of cinema.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Rewatching season 3. So at the end of DS9 is the Aster kid like, drat Worf, I could've been prince of the Klingon empire!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Imagine going to parties and telling ladies a story that starts with "my mother died when I was young" and ends with "so now I'm prince of the Klingon empire."

Too bad nobody in Star Trek has sex except androids and ghosts.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Zaroff posted:

Either that or they sent him to the same place as that alien child Riker rescued the following year in Future Imperfect

All Good Things should have been Q presiding over a courtroom trial of the senior officers and calling all these abandoned guest stars as witnesses, then he throws them all in jail for a year.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

There was one episode where spandex space Jesus infused Geordi with mojo and I'm pretty sure he got laid with the next woman he talked to. Also of course in All Good Things it is revealed he has had children with in real life Leah Brahms therefore they hosed.

All characters are having sex any time they aren't on camera, that's why their uniform is pajamas.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

With stuff like this I feel like you’re better off just completing the entire project in secret and only announcing it and doing interviews once it’s totally done and out in the world and impossible for CBS to completely erase from the Internet or sue you into oblivion to stop.

Maybe he wants to be sued so he doesn't have to finish.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm not sure "It was 1966" totally explains that absolutely horrible writing.

Let me help you square that circle: 1966 sucked.

Just watched Booby Trap. Whoever picked that name should be fired into the sun. Kind of decent episode, and then Geordi kisses a hologram. You know, you really suck, Geordi. I can't believe the writers decided his Barclay impersonation was the plot deserving a follow-up episode.

Also can't help but lol at the idea that the computer can't calculate the best path out of the debris field because it doesn't want to stay alive badly enough.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

The booby trap is actually holo-Brahms.

I know, I hate it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

I had a super trekkie aunt when I was a kid (late 80s/early 90s) who would buy me all kinds of star trek stuff and constantly insist that it would be worth so much money when I was older. At one point I had like three of those huge plastic storage bins filled with star trek crap.

Aw, all I got was a cabinet full of disney plates.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm trying to avoid watching another season of Arrow, what episode do I show my wife to convince her to watch Star Trek instead? This is an emergency.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Civil Defense.

Are you just saying that because of Bajoran Workers?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I never read the comics but I liked his novels.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I mean it makes sense when you remember all the times they had to phone down to engineering and go "can you get us to warp 9," etc. I imagine it's not all necessarily automated, it takes a significant amount of prep and manpower to hit those top speeds

Rewatching season 3 I forgot that they do actually try to sell the idea that warp 9 is effectively "overdrive".

Edit: Also I like the 3 nacelle Galaxy, it really sells the ship as a relic that is still clinging to relevance. It's like the ship design version of Shatner's hair.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 24, 2020

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
When do we get a rerelease of that Roddenberry show about an alien invasion or whatever that was?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Earth: Final Conflict?

I never really watched it, but it seemed like it changed premises at least three times.

I enjoyed premise 1 myself, and kinda lost track after that.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Earth: Final Conflict?

I never really watched it, but it seemed like it changed premises at least three times.

How the hell did that show last five seasons?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Hey I just heard about this 60s show called Star Trek. Maybe they should reboot that.

I dunno, it sounds pretty lame compared to M.A.N.T.I.S.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Insanite posted:

It could also be that what propels humanity into a post-scarcity utopia is the embrace of Victorian-era scientific racism.

I mean, that, or everyone involved checked out as soon as they saw "phys-somethingorother."

Kind of want to do a rewatch with errors like that in mind.

Maybe words just mean different things in the 23rd century. Noon used to be at 3pm.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

I dearly wish Trek designers weren't so embarrassed of necks and nacelle columns. They're honestly the most charming and unique aesthetic parts of Federation vessels, and probably largely the reason the Enterprise is a globally recognized symbol for a fictional starship in a world full of fictional starships. It's like finding out your nose is what makes people recognize you so you replace it with a smooth expanse.

It just makes me appreciate the Enterprise more.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I still don't love Cause and Effect, but I really loved the first poker game for Worf reacting to Data's running commentary.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm watching The Next Phase and there's a scene where Worf raises security concerns about lending the Romulans a computer core, and after Riker responds favorably Worf makes a point to say "thank you" and I laughed out loud. "Finally, somebody humors my anti-Romulan paranoia!"

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Admiralty Flag posted:

I just watched Wrath of Khan for umpteenth time over the years, and noticed something I never noticed (or likely forgot). When Spock is talking to Kirk in Engineering at the end, he says, "I never took the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?" Perfect Spock snark, and I can't believe I've never remembered that bit.

What a weird thing for you to make up.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
There was that society in TNG that killed everyone at age 65, I thought that was because they lived too long otherwise.

Anyway, even if you live forever you'll still die when the universe does.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

No Luck Needed posted:

Time traveler stumples out of an ally. "Hey who is spider man? Hey you who is playing spider man in the movies?"

"Toby Maguire"

"I've gone to far. I've gone to far!!!"

Twist reveal from Planet of the Apes but instead of the statue it's a movie poster of the Young Sheldon kid in Spider-Man 17.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

MikeJF posted:

huh, look what they're selling off

Gotta admit, if I had more money than sense it'd be neat to have the original of one of those overused mattes like this on my wall

I want to hang one of these on my office wall with a fake window in front of it for zoom meetings.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

Ridiculous, but it's fun imagining Avery Brooks reciting all of W's dumb lines.

Avery Brooks doesn't care about black people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Fighting Trousers posted:

Wasn't that why Ron Moore went so hard on the tone of BSG? Because he was so disappointed by how quickly Voyager pissed all over the conflicts of its premise?

BSG is definitely a better take on the concept, until it disappears up its own rear end halfway through.