Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Pick posted:

They may take it down again but you can click it from my Redbubble profile here.

That owns. Do they take your stuff down for copyrighted characters or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Well Paranount/CBS need to step up their mug game then because most of the officially licensed stuff is garbage.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MikeJF posted:

I remember back in the day they said they were looking at classic cars for inspiration for discovery.

*turns into cartoon wolf*

AWoooooooooGA!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I really enjoy whenever this thread goes nuts with memes because it feels like a sequel to Darmok.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Aatrek, when the case files unsealed.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Trickjaw posted:

I think gay Sulu in Beyond was a fair point. It was purely because the original actor is gay, not the character. It was simply a diversity box checking exercise. A lot of the LGBT community felt the same.

I'm just sitting here wondering what sort of crazy rear end butterfly effect poo poo went on due to the destruction of the Kelvin that made Sulu gay.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Pick posted:

Some (most) memes are dumb as hell but who cares, tbh I enjoy laughing

I always laugh at memes about Star Trek and video games and poo poo because like memes I'm dumb as hell. But I don't really care. I especially like that pon farr one you posted it gave me a sensible chuckle when I got to the punchline.

vV Me too! :hfive: Vv

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 12, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My favorite thing about Patrick Stewart in Logan was finally seeing it and feeling a little sad that he's looking so drat old. And then seeing his Facebook posts about his rescue dog and realized that they loving did old age makeup on him for Logan and the dude looks absolutely amazing at 76.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

He looks a helluva lot like his grandfather. Maybe we can get an action-packed reboot of the To Kill A Mockingbird franchise while they're at it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I genuinely feel bad for Hayden Christensen because aside from Star Wars most of his other work was pretty low key indie stuff and most of the people I know think he's awful and hate him for SW. I've tried to recommend Shattered Glass I don't know how many times to give people a better perspective on his work.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Also pay attention to his speech mannerisms. He did an amazing James Earl Jones impression and no one noticed

That makes me wish for a way to listen to JEJ dialogue from Star Wars run through some kind of filter that makes it sound like pre-Vader Anakin's voice.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
And typically it will be noted Shakespeare thespian Sir Patrick Stewart.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Brawnfire posted:

Who the hell would read Shakespeare when you could watch a holorecording? You could sit in the actual Globe and watch a version that's absolutely period appropriate, with guys wearing women's clothes and talking ridiculously fast. The ideal means to take in Shakespeare is right down the hall and you're carrying around this... this totem?

I read this in Picard's voice and it owned.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Does anyone know why CBS put an ad for the TNG Blu Rays on... The TNG Blu Rays? Thanks CBS, I am aware of the existence of this thing I am sitting down to watch.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cat Hatter posted:

Are they at least for a different season than the one you were watching? "Well, I was only going to buy season X, but season Y looks so good I'll have to buy it too" - the marketing department's fantasy.

No it's the complete series. It's just a generic ad that looks like from when they were first starting the remasters and letting people know about.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Are you sure it didn't download the trailers straight from the Internet? Because that is a thing.

Uh, not sure? It shows up as 1/2 things I have to skip with R1 before getting to the menu, with 2/2 being like a middleware logo for whatever digital mixer poo poo they're using.

Obviously they're easy enough to skip I'm mostly just wondering why they wouldn't be trying to sell me something else, like TOS Blu Rays or DS9 DVDs or something.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

After The War posted:

As I was told by the thread just before I drunkenly purchased the complete TNG set, they are literally the same discs that were in the previously released individual season sets. So the ads would have made more sense in that context.

Not in the "we're targeting the consumer who buys a single season of Star Trek, but needs to be convinced to buy more" sense, though.

:ms: I guess. Now the only mystery remaining for me today is why the gently caress Netherrealm Studios decided the difficulty curve in Injustice 2 needed to be a loving cliff.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The Big Goodbye (1988): A holodeck malfunction results in Picard's Holodeck game becoming one of those bullshit always online experiences that you can't pause.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 24, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Mickey Spillane opens the briefcase. Alas, it's cosmetic gear Picard already had. He trades it in for 50% of "dollar" value, then wires more latinum bonds to Quark's for enough "dollars" to get a premium five suitcase pack for the price of four.

Should have got a pack of ten (with two bonus) for maximum value!!!

Also The Big Goodbye (1988): Capt. Picard abuses his power as Captain to call a meeting of the senior staff and regale them with stories about this sick new game he picked up at the last starbase.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
God the music in early TNG is so good but it's also distractingly dating. Some of it sounds straight out of TOS with the extremely overdone cues and such. It's so different from modern TV and it's fine it's just sort of jarring.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Datalore (1988): Holy poo poo piss Chief Argyle fuckin bloooooows lmao how did this guy get brought back for a second episode???

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If only they'd managed to get him fired before he poo poo up an otherwise decent first season episode.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
He was barely in it but noticeably worse than practically any other extra with lines in the series. I mean not everyone can be Colm Meaney but poo poo.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Low Desert Punk posted:

also janeway literally thinks she's entitled to choose when her crew lives or dies based on her little scene at the end, lol

Captain's Prerogative

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Number_6 posted:

Except for the visual effects and obvious cast changes, the production on early TNG feels like TOS Season 4, like they just took an extra year off instead of 20.

Even some of the visual effects don't feel that far off, like the sixties vibe on the set of the plague ship from Haven.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

galenanorth posted:

On my first watch, the Naked Now remake would have made the show look like it was going to be like the Twilight Zone remakes if I hadn't heard the stories about the first season being the worst one

Thankfully the next episode was Code of Honor so you were quickly dispelled of that notion.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So in Coming of Age (1988) do we think that Remmick and Quinn are already compromised by the Conspiracy parasites or are they aware of what's going on and fall victim to the parasites between the two episodes? Personally I think you can read it either way but I'm curious as to what the thread thinks about it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah, that's what I thought, since they were trying to get Picard to come take a posting on Earth. But then again that would also make sense if they low key wanted bolster their forces and put your best on Earth to defend it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't think Quinn is supposed to have been infected in Coming of Age, because in Conspiracy Picard remarks that Quinn seems unusually vibrant compared to the last time they met, and also when Picard mentions that Quinn warned him about a threat, Quinn deflects somewhat badly.

Whether Remmick is or not... may be more up in the air.

Yeah that makes sense. I thought Remmick was probably clean too because of his last minute face turn. But I still think it could probably go either way.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

After The War posted:

"Sub Rosa" says otherwise. :colbert:

It was okay since the ghost skipped a generation.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MorgaineDax posted:

I'm so pumped for this.

Also Has Been is a fantastic album that still gets regular plays from me.

I attribute most of Has Been's greatness to Ben Folds but God drat it's a great album and I don't think it would have worked without Shatner's clumsy earnestness.

hoo eee The Child (1988) is strikingly terrible. How did this script get greenlit?

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 28, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Where Silence Has Lease (1988): Riker finally plays coop Dark Souls with Worf and decides that it's not for him. Worf insists that Riker just needs to "git gud."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Measure of a Man (1989): Starfleet decides to hash some poo poo out it probably should have hashed out before Data was able to attend Starfleet Academy, rise through the ranks, and serve as the second officer on their flagship.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Bloop posted:

Riker watching every lurid decon gel scene for "insight"

Hmm I wonder what to do about the Pegasus. Better watch a Floridian spread goo on a Vulcan's tits!

The decon scenes make so much more sense if you imagine the whole show as Riker's holographic simulation.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

it wasn't so much the visual that was gory on that one, but the loving sound design jesus christ. I can still hear the screams if I think about it, and I haven't watched that movie in years. Easily the most hosed up scene in Trek in my book.

What we did get back didn't live long... Fortunately.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I am glad that Clues made the Netflix Top Ten. Such a low key great episode.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s almost impressive how there isn’t a single element of TATV worth praise. Even in Enterprise’s worst episodes you can usually dig around and find something to like, but no, not TATV. It wastes Shran, it turns in the shittiest possible Riker and Troi cameos, it kills off Trip in a cheap and nonsensical way, it employs a time-jump without bothering to show any interesting character or tech growth, It sidelines the main cast in their own series finale, and then it whiffs the last loving scene of the entire series by cutting to credits before what should have been a series-defining speech.

gently caress Berman and gently caress Braga.

Tbf anything those writers would have come up with probably wouldn't have been very good.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Bloop posted:

Yeah sure but for something that important and specific you go outside and hire an Obama speechwriter or something because you aren't an rear end in a top hat idiot moron

I'm sure at that point they had that kind of access and budget.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Phylodox posted:

I loved finding out Ben Wyatt was the helmsman of the Defiant in First Contact.

Now I just imagine him frustratedly asking DS9’s replicators to make him a calzone and being told “Insufficient data, please restate request” over and over again.

"Would you like me to replicate a pizza and fold it for you?"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The gorn were the primary antagonists of the lovely 3rd person shooter set in the JJ universe that was supposed to be set between 09 and Into Darkness. It was not a great game but they got Pine and Quinto to do the voice acting. I played it through because I am mentally ill for trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Al Borland Korn posted:

I made the mistake of closing a Nintendo thread for getting too horny

Hell of a sentence to read there, Al.

:stare: