Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah, if they had done Enterprise instead of Voyager, it probably would have been received substantially better. Of course, my understanding is that seasons 3 and 4 were as good as they were because the producers finally got desperate enough to start venturing outside of their comfort zone, so an alternate timeline where Voyager is replaced by Enterprise might have a weaker Enterprise series because it didn't tank so hard in ratings.

Voyager poisoned the well hard. It was seven years of mediocrity, of totally failing to do anything substantial with the premise, and endless technobullshit solutions to technobullshit problems. Naren Shankar claims that the TNG writing staff made or received something akin to a technobabble Mad Libs as a gag, they had a laugh about it, and when he went back to visit the Voyager staff years later he found they were cheerfully using the Treknobabble generator to literally write dialogue for the episodes. The finale really was peak Voyager, so anyone who found the series' faults annoying or offensive was really pissed off by the way the ending was handled.

Now Enterprise is coming along, and the producers are swearing up and down "oh, this series is gonna be totally different, it's going to be so different that we're not even putting Star Trek in the main title, we're really taking it back and changing it up," annnnnd first episode has Klingons, phasers phase pistols with stun settings, the transporter being used on a person and to whisk the captain out of harm's way. The producers had talked a big bunch of bullshit and then totally failed to deliver, again. I quit right after the first episode. I was done, I already knew it was going to be more of the same crap I was already tired of, so I walked away and didn't come back. I only started skimming episodes a year or two ago, well over ten years after the series had aired, and I have zero regrets about not giving that series a second chance when it was still airing.

'Aggressively bland and not trying new things' is exactly what Enterprise desperately needed to not do. They really needed to not do the same old poo poo again and again, and they couldn't help themselves, and they deserved to fall on their face for it.

It's funny now reading stuff like this and thinking back to all the clowns who were so certain that the quality would pick up and the show would suddenly be awesome back in 2001. I can remember one of the main detractors making a thread declaring the show so creatively bankrupt that they'd resort to doing a Borg episode by the second season, followed by 11 pages of "fans" making GBS threads on him.

I was just a teenager but I think I stuck around till midway through season 3 when the show was broadcast, but once they got to the loving "phase" pistols in the pilot I knew this show wasn't serious about doing anything good and I think I only coasted as far as I did because it was Star Trek. Enterprise was really the final lesson for me about quality in entertainment: don't loving stick around just because the brand used to be good.

e: I also remember how the lady who played T'Pol was the only cast member to openly criticize the show while it was on, because she was a fan and because she probably figured they wouldn't fire the eye candy they thought everybody was tuning in to see

Timby posted:

Paramount did a massive prop auction several years ago, basically getting rid of everything they had in their basement.

That's how Alec Peters got all that poo poo for Axanar.

Man, gently caress that guy.

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Was Peters just a rich rear end in a top hat fan to begin with or something?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ogmius815 posted:

Am I alone in having basically no hope that this new series is any good or that it lasts longer than a few episodes?

I was optimistic initially when they announced who was working on it but that pissweak teaser took the wind out of it's sails for me. It could still be very good even if it's low budget since it's not like the technology to put together a Trek show is expensive these days, and historically Trek trailers and teasers have been pretty shoddy but at this point I'm not holding my breath.

On the other hand if it does turn out well then I'll be pleasantly surprised

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

People are going to expect some pretty drat good special effects too. If it looks worse than a show on Syfy, there will be hell to pay.

I was watching Dark Matter (out of boredom I assure you) last Friday when I got to thinking that nobody's done anything interesting with space battles since nuBSG. In the show I was watching it was the same standard "little bolts of coloured light smack into one model or the other, cut to the cast shaking and the lights dimming" type poo poo, shields at 47% and so on. It's not the mid 90's any more, without a wider context at least that poo poo's not going to work for anybody. (Nether is doing the same loving thing but shaking the camera around and loving with the colour filters and lens flares in post) I mean that angle was played out even when they hung the "yuk yuk, isn't this just like Star Trek?" hat on it on the Stargate shows.

So when the first teaser comes out looking like a cheapskate movie tie-in console game from 07, it inspires little confidence

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

To be honest on DM, the showrunner has mentioned he has something like 1/4 the budget he had on Stargate and that was a decade ago. But I agree, same ol'.

Yeah, but like you say regardless of the budget it's the same ol'. The guy could have the same money he had on SGU, the set design would probably less resemble the cardboard box spaceships I made when I was a little kid but fundamentally what would be different? A few more seconds of CGI maybe?

I wonder if they'll try to score Angela Bassett like somebody (I forget who) was saying they wanted to awhile back

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I would be really excited for a show in this period if I believed for one second the look or feel of it would be period appropriate instead of unlivable and fugly like so much modern pop sci fi design

STD is Enterprise until proven innocent, won't get fooled again

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ogmius815 posted:

Except that Enterprise was good.

"More going on than Voyager" does not equate to "good." If it hadn't of been cancelled, maybe.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

Sad but on point

I mean I know it seems needlessly negative to be like that but I can't be the only one who's so burnt out on promises of this that and the other from this IP and others that I'm just in full on "haha gently caress you whatever" mode until a decent trailer drops

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I had Starfleet Academy Simulator for the SNES because my computers could only ever barely run games, it's graphics were poo poo but you could fly low poly models of all the TOS movie ships including some ridiculous Excelsior variant that could spam torpedoes if you knew the right button combo to unlock it

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
DS9 isn't even that different than TNG or Voyager, it just has serialization and more consistently written and entertaining characters. If things are supposed to improve with time than DS9 is exactly where you want to go after TNG, and Voyager and ENT to a lesser extent are a step back.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I don't really understand why there is a faction of fans insisting that the new show has to look like 1960's low-budget rubbish, the new Trek movie sets generally work and I would argue are even great for the most part. Star Trek should always look like the future, not a constant that can be measured for the benefit of lovely nerds.

The new movies' art design is usually all over the loving place and looks like a mess of poo poo as a result, it doesn't look or feel futuristic or plausible and manages to kind of suck as any sort of homage on top of it all. I mean I liked the last movie and the changes they made but fugly is as fugly does

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
An unseen enemy that uses subterfuge and cunning to defeat their opponents that is later revealed to be the Romulans would have been a cool thing to do based on a prior bit of continuity, too bad they pissed away their 9/11 trauma on the boring Xindi collection of utterly forgettable aliens instead.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm sick to death of starfighters and associated characters, I had enough of that poo poo after BSG

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes and the rest of us are stuck with freaking CBS All-Access.

Pirate the poo poo out of it along with the rest of the civilized world

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

If anyone hasn't read it, it's here: http://www.lcarscom.net/rdm1000118.htm The visual design of that website is horrendous, so be prepared to copy-paste the text into something so you can read it without your eyes bleeding. But it's worth it, the man absolutely nails what went wrong with Voyager.

After reading that it really does feel like some sort of cosmic justice that Bryan Fuller gets to do the new Trek series

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Duckbag posted:

I'm pretty sure that reusing previous assets is as close to a Star Trek tradition as you can get.

Also "lift" might be a strong word. The similarities are certainly there and Fuller wasn't particularly coy about taking inspiration from it, but the McQuarry design was significantly more Star Destroyer/Space pizza than this version. Also I sort of like using a 70s design for a prequel series because it avoids some of the pitfalls of trying to make something "new" while still aping the old.

They smoothed out the star wars greeblies but it's still basically the same design. If anything the original's round nacelles were a little more period appropriate than the boxy ones they went with:

I've seen fan versions based on this design that were successful in de-fuglyfying it, so hopefully they refine the poo poo out of the Discovery.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Enterprise is a sailing ship and the nacelles are her sails

except for when she is a submarine then she is a sailing submarine that goes in space

when she is a hot rod it's dumb. cars are dumb.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Evek posted:

I remember watching Dark Matter last year as its in my Netflix history but I'll be damned if I can recall anything interesting about it. What a pointlessly dull show.

It's a little better this season but yeah... yeah.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Railing Kill posted:

Of all of the near-future (well, at least at the time) stuff in the Trek timeline (Eugenics Wars, WWIII, etc.), the Bell Riots seemed like the most plausible to me. It feels like the most likely scenario to come to pass, even forgiving the sci fi tech involved in some of the other scenarios. People are just so goddamn stupid and small-minded and fall for authoritarian hucksters all the time. That, paired with how we are hurtling toward a post-labor global economy in a lot of places, so all of that is going to make things lovely one way or another. Some US cities have already tried penning-up homeless people in the last few years. The Sanctuary District was the first thing I thought of when I read about it. :(

I've been saying for years that poo poo is going to happen. It's a near certainty at this point

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I feel like any acknowledgement of that guy and his lovely fan film is more than he or anyone still involved with him deserves

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure a lot of B5's cgi guys went to work on DS9 once they started doing the big fleet battles

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I thought it came out that was more of his lawyer being a poo poo?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm betting there are less than 10 good episodes of Enterprise

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
A reduced budget might force them to write a Star Trek movie instead of around the expensive CGI action set pieces

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually really glad they stuck to the original VFX where possible in TNG because as much as I would sometimes like to see the stock footage punched up a bit, I wouldn't want to lose the memorable VFX shots (like the escape from the dyson sphere, for example) to a CG Enterprise D doing barrel rolls or whatever the gently caress they'd make her do now if they could

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MrJacobs posted:

Why would the Enterprise have done barrel rolls?

I don't know, why did everything out of this franchise since DS9 ended turn out the way it has? The TOS remasters are pretty inconsistent, some episodes look good and sometimes the new CG Enterprise looks hokey as gently caress because they decided to show it peeling around like an F-16 or something, I'm glad TNG avoided that.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Good, more time to make it not garbage.

"Uh, yeah... turns out we can't shoot the whole thing on a handful of gopros and some foamcore sets without looking worse than most fan productions. We need a few months."

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Gau posted:

There's a ton of rose-red nostalgia for Star Trek among the fans. I know we love to talk about how amazing "Measure of a Man" was but for every high-concept exercise in philosophy there are at least three schlocky space adventures and one or two duds. That's how TV works. When it was airing and not just rerunning or on Netflix, people tuned in NEXT TIME ON STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION not for the cerebral content but because it was another adventure with the Enterprise and her crew.

Trek is a space adventure show and pretending it's some kind of meditation on humanity is just setting yourself up for disappointment. Star Trek needs to be fun and relevant first and foremost. I don't watch anything on the CW but it seems they have genre shows down to a science and that's what I want out of Trek: fun space adventures with an overarching message of hope.

Steve Amell is a swell guy and they had some cool fight choreography from what I can remember, but part of what made Star Trek fun is that it would aim just a little higher than shows like Arrow. Genre stuff might be more prevalent these days because that's where the money is but the signal to noise ratio is about the same, and just because a thing is popular enough to make somebody profit doesn't mean it's worthwhile. I mean not every episode should be The Inner Light or The Visitor but drat some meditation on humanity is required or it won't be relevant. Besides have you see what passes for "thoughtful" popular television programming? For every show like Breaking Bad there are countless piss baby garbage crime/medical procedurals whose episodes often have themes that would make Code of Honour look positively progressive

I mean if you really want a big dumb sci fi action adventure show then bring back Stargate and see if the overly self referential parody that franchise became doesn't become old hat real quickly again

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
On looks: seeing as how one can produce effects similar or comparable to the previous series' with a free copy of Blender on almost any modern desktop I'm not going to lose sleep over a 5 dollar budget so long as they don't skimp on finding someone talented to design their poo poo.

That they apparently made a b-line for some of the fugliest rejected concept art in the history of the franchise does give me pause, however

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

showbiz_liz posted:

Actually you know what, gently caress it, they should just lean into the whole 'no budget' thing and slavishly imitate the original show aesthetic, like to the point of making all the rocks out of expanding foam.

It'll probably look like an iPad with some Ikea furniture that looks vaguely 60's kitsch put in for good measure because they're not going to hire anyone with the figurative balls to draw anything that looks different than what you can get at Best Buy because that is the Way Sci Fi Future Things Look Now, except for the rare instance like the movie Moon where it's a refreshing throwback to an industrial 80's aesthetic but not the ominous top-loading VHS player kind.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
This is the first time I've ever seen anybody treat "Dear Doctor" like the implications of that episode are anything but horrific

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I love how they randomly get the phaser guns at the end of the pilot even though there was no way for them to have not had them since they left spacedock so why did they bother with the plasma bolt guns in the first place

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Star Trek V is a lot like many of the lamer episodes in that the overall thing is not very good and has loads of problems but there are just as many good aspects you can pick out and enjoy

I would still rather watch that film for it's good scenes than pretty much anything made after First Contact and DS9's ending

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baka-nin posted:

For real, the music is one of the few strong points of the really rough first two seasons of TNG. I still remember the music set to the Yamato's destruction (also a pretty good effect) from series two, its just so good and distinct.

I really hope the music for the new show is memorable and includes lots of cool spacey synth noises, I loved that poo poo from TNG's first three seasons.

gently caress it, raise Jerry Goldsmith from the dead

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I own an IDIC shirt

That's what Gene would have wanted

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It was the 80's, if it's not ok to sound like babby's first synth score in those days then I don't know what's acceptable quite frankly

I really hated that by the time you get to Voyager, the music and opening teasers are like "oh hi harry off to wank in the holodeck again" "oh cool tom I'll see you on the bridge" WAHH WAAHH WAHH WAHHHHH *fade to black*

like who the gently caress were they trying to get watching this show?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CobiWann posted:

Question - how many people, even knowing the shows lacked consistent quality, watched Voyager and Enterprise from beginning to end?

I live and breathe this poo poo and even I checked out on Enterprise somewhere during it's third season. I'm pretty sure it's the only series that's full of episodes I've only seen once or bits and pieces of in passing during reruns

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

We need more Syd Mead inspired design in everything.

I love that guy's stuff so much that "normal" artistic design feels wrong to me now. I would be overjoyed if a Star Trek series took serious inspiration from Syd Mead's work for it's art design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's impossible to get hype for anything anymore because of all the reboots and sequels to things that have been made as obvious attempts to cash in on people's nostalgia for better things/times that completely fail to capture what made the originals worthwhile. While Bryan Fuller is far, far more likely to know what to avoid in making a new Star Trek show and the fact that the others involved are also veterans of solid entries in the franchise is also a big plus, until I see a trailer that doesn't completely suck it's hard to feel positive