Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Urban needs to get more credit for completely falling into the Bones role from minute one of his first appearance in ST09. Like it's scary how close he is to DeForrest Kelley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bones has a bunch of great lines in TUC.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

STB dropped 60% this weekend, which isn't great. That's the worst drop of the three JJTrek films.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think there were only two Franklin survivors.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wasn't Gaela an arms dealer

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gonz posted:

The new show starts in 5 months, and Fuller & Co. haven't mentioned the new cast, or definitively when the show is set.

What the hell kind of production is this?
It's concerning, that's for sure. I mean I'm happy with who they have as show runners, but CBS is doing a pretty awful job here otherwise.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gonz posted:

I was discussing this with a few people at work during lunch the other day, and most of them didn't even know there was a new show coming up. When they heard that it was on some sort of half-assed CBS streaming service, they seemed even less enthusiastic.

"I already have Netflix and Hulu, why the hell would I pay monthly for yet another thing?" was the general consensus amongst the group.

I'm sure a lot more people around the world feel the same way. Just put the goddamn show on CBS and it'll either sink or swim. Stop trying to make All-Access happen, CBS. It's not going to happen. Your show is going to be pirated into dust.
CBS, while it brings in big ratings as a network, is mainly known for bland products that please mass audiences.

They've never had a good track record when it comes to figuring out how to handle genre shows.

I will also note that up until they launched this CBS All Access thing they said they had no plans to do anything with ST on TV, even though this is a golden age of genre television and nerd stuff like Game of Thrones and Walking Dead are the biggest shows on TV. If they had anyone decent running the network they sure as hell could make a quality ST series if they wanted.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

One thing I don't understand is why they have like 100 Mirandas and 100 Excelsiors in that battle but there's maybe one Akira, one Steamrunner, and one Sabre class in all of those shots combined. Considering I think that's mostly, if not all, CGI I'm surprised it's so heavy on those two classes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fair Haven/the other one with the dumb holographic Irish town are probably my stealth pick for worst episodes because they are incredibly boring.

As bad as Threshold is, you can't say it's not an interesting kind of bad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

As meh as most of Time's Arrow is, it's basically Shakespeare compared to Workforce. My god that's an awful two parter. Probably the worst one in the entire franchise.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm not sure why they wouldn't just use those cool Andorian prosthetics from Enterprise unless Paramount chucked them all in the garbage

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The early season 1 drug episode is right behind those three.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They're not filming until October???

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Apparently Fuller clarified that the lead may not be a captain.

also this:

https://twitter.com/TrekMovie/status/763525807708831744

just a wild guess but...maybe the Tomed Incident?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Never mind, they've confirmed it takes place 10 years prior to TOS.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Astroman posted:

:what:

I guess it could be about the end of the Romulan War or something, but in that case they'd better goddamn well have NX's and a cameo from Idris Elba...
They're saying she will be a Lt. Commander

lol the Axanar supporters are freaking out because apparently this may be set right when that show would have been going on?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well he said it was something that was 'talked about but not seen', which you would think would narrow it down. A lot of the stuff between Enterprise-TOS is non-canon so not a lot comes to mind for me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/TheEricGoldman/status/763533087867142144

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It drives me insane that Netflix can do ad-free no problem, but somehow the big networks have to include ads even when you are paying (this and Hulu specifically)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm more irritated that it's only set ten years before TOS. That seems very limited for a setting. Do 50 years before TOS or 100 years after TNG or literally anything other than 10 years before TOS.
I was more interested if they had actually done something between TUC-TNG, but it's possible that if this CBS thing continues they could set a new crew during that period.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Remember how they made a big deal out of that holographic communication system in that one DS9 episode and then never did it again?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I remember buying that Dominion Wars game and realizing very quickly that it was completely broken. A similar thing happened with another game, New Worlds. I'm glad we're not in that era of gaming.

Then of course there was that bug that made it impossible back in the day to play a game of BotF past a certain point.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I hope for her sake she immediately left after that...that guy's creepy as all hell

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I've been reading that 50 Years of Star Trek interview book (the first volume), and I had no idea that apparently George Takei was resentful of Koenig at one point because of scripts. I guess Takei was off doing another TV show when they had started filming the 2nd season of TOS, and the writers gave some of the parts meant for Sulu to Chekov. Needless to say Takei was not pleased, and I guess it led to some resentment towards Koenig for awhile.

I had also not been familiar with the previous attempts to make a first ST feature film before they settled on what became TMP. I knew some of the saga with the script they all called 'The God Thing', which somehow was very similar to what ended up happening for FF but I guess those two writers never compared notes? The Clash of the Titans idea or whatever that was was pretty nuts....I'm not sure how people would have reacted had that been the first ST film.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Was there some issue with a producer on Voyager creeping on her or am I making that up

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The problem with Voyager/Enterprise weren't necessarily the ideas, it was absolutely the execution being botched and the writing was poor. It's very frustrating that they took good ideas like having a ship cut off from Starfleet and lost in the Delta Quadrant and messed it up. That and how Enterprise was pretty bland until the 3rd season, and it's not really until the 4th season that we get actual 'founding of the Federation' stuff like we were all promised.

It also occurs to me that the Starfleet/Maquis internal ship conflict was continued for the series about as well as Archer's grudge against Vulcans was. Meaning both poorly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MrJacobs posted:

Yes, it totally was.

I would have liked to see them still use old plasma guns while the andorians had cool mutli-setting phasers and poo poo instead of "humans invented all star trek tech, only not as fancy." that we got. I'm rewatching ENT on netflix and it really isn't bad at all, I tjust failed becauseof the network it was on and how close it came out compared to Voyager.
Just like with Voyager, some of the issues they had when first going out into space were suddenly not problems long after (like issues with the Universal Translator in I think the 2nd episode of ENT).

I mean just substitute phase pistols for phasers, and polarizing the hull plating for bringing the shields up, and it's the same thing.

The show was at its best when it showed how humanity goes from basically being hand-held into the galaxy by the Vulcans to being the only neutral arbiter in disputes arising between the Vulcans, Tellarites, and Andorians which allows them to be trustworthy to all sides when it comes time to create the Federation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CobiWann posted:

The only thing more I'd want from the Dominion War would be a closer look at the Breen and the Breen Confederacy.
The novels establish that the Breen are a group of separate species that all wear those same outfits as some kind of forced equality. Their government is a police state. I don't remember offhand what the explanation was for why they ended up coming together.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Is this the Typhon Pact line?
It was the first one I think? The one with Bashir.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I believe all of the bad stuff in that episode was specifically from Berman/Braga or both. I know the TNG framing was for sure. It's just thrown in so poorly, since up until this point we've had little connection to the previous series shown in ENT beyond a few references like the Borg debris from 'First Contact' and (if you want to count it since it's in a different universe) the USS Defiant showing up in 'In a Mirror, Darkly'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes and the rest of us are stuck with freaking CBS All-Access.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I still want to know what the VOY writers were thinking by putting an out of nowhere Seven/Chakotay romance in the LAST EPISODE.

It's just bizarre and it really undoes a lot of the good stuff they did with Seven near the end.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Man Trap was the first episode to air...needless to say it's rough

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's pretty much peak Voyager that they had an actor just do technobabble for a screen test

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Also, her Janeway was intended to be Iraqi and she didn't know how to pronounce Farsi words.
I've never heard that....where did that come from?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Every first season of a ST series is bad with the exception of TOS, which has a good portion of the series' best

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MrJacobs posted:

Were the Bell Riots after the Eugenics wars but before WW3?
Yes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kin posted:

I guess that's more of Star Trek i'd actually like to see. gently caress going back to ToS era, stick with post DS9/Voyager, but have some nice character rich storylines exploring parts of the Star Trek universe we don't really see, like the very fringes of Federation space where poo poo is a little bit wilder.

I'd love it if the format change a bit too (like with Deep space 9). So instead of a ship, we've got this band of characters on some commerce hub world of sorts at the fringes/badlands. They might not be part of the Federation yet or whatever and the general overarching story is about them dealing with all the different factions kicking about up there whilst eventually choosing to join one. Throw in some universe level bad guys like the Borg or whatever and i think you could have some great stories about how fundamentally small and overwhelmed they are compared to the bigger picture.

Their isolation might also be a way of getting around the super tech that's floating around in TNG and beyond. No replicators, no time travel, barely any high level tech other than what makes its way there, etc. You could still do some space travel, but it would be limited to a small region of space and only a handful of planets that we could get more familiar with over the series instead of generic planet of the week.
I would like to see a post-VOY series that explores some of the species we've run into in ST but barely know anything about. Like the Breen, Gorn, Tholians, etc. Post Dominion War AQ would be interesting since you have a destroyed Cardassia, and changed alliances.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There's some picture of Nichelle Nichols and Walter Koenig in some cheap-rear end looking uniforms on the website for that show and it's very sad

Nichelle must be INCREDIBLY devoted to this fanbase because she seems to put up with all of the weird crap and I doubt anyone's paying her enough for it