Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
We should be getting All Access casting info from SDCC this weekend, right? Fuller tweeted a pic of the new (unupholstered) captain's chair a few days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I really love the new transporter effect. Way closer to the original effect than the silly "spinning particles" from the first two JJtreks.

Really digging the new 1701-A. We should be getting a closer look at it this weekend, as I suspect it's one of the surprises Eaglemoss will be showing off.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

8one6 posted:

Am I the only one who thought the planet sets looked/felt like modern effects updates of TOS sets? I mean that in the best possible way. Like the physical alien structures felt very sci-fi by way of 1960's to me.

I thought the same thing. Between that, the TOS musical cues that kept popping up, and the rogue captain villain, Beyond really does feel like a modern episode of TOS. And I mean that in the best possible way.

I know the previous JJ movies have had alien crew members, but it seemed like they really put an emphasis on it in Beyond. It went a long way toward making the crew representative of an actual federation of planets. I loved it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

So it's coming out a lot of people think Krall was slightly underwritten (a minor critique in an otherwise pretty awesome movie IMO), but nonetheless I feel the need to ask if there is something I'm missing with his motivation. So he's an ex-soldier who resents the Federation for abandoning him and just wants to commit genocide for non-specific revenge? Is that all? Was there more of an agenda or a point to prove?

It's that, plus Krall's personal issues transitioning from soldier to peacetime captain. He specifically mentions how he hates the Federation because he fought two wars to keep humanity safe from aliens, only to have Earth ally with them and form the Federation.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The Excelsior is an ugly whale of a ship with misplaced Art Deco elements, a nonsensical drive section with stubby nacelle pylons, and an undersized saucer. It's hideous, and that's without even mentioning the bizarre teal and charcoal color scheme.

gently caress the Excelsior.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Duncan Doenitz posted:

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but given how heavily Beyond references elements of ENT, is there a mostly agreed upon list of episodes worth watching? I've been binging on Netflix and it's kind of a slog, and that theme song :barf:

Honestly, if I were to suggest episodes for a new watcher, it would pretty much just be the pilot and season 4. There's some decent stuff in the first three seasons but it's sandwiched between such boring garbage that I'm not sure someone new to the series would even bother finishing it all. Here's a short list for seasons 1 & 2. Season 3 is one long arc so it's tough to just cherry pick.

Broken Bow
The Andorian Incident
Shadows of P'Jem
Carbon Creek
Minefield
Dead Stop
The Catwalk
First Flight

There's a few others that may be worth watching but I'd check these out first. I liked Enterprise, but it really struggles to find its footing and escape the boring plots that Voyager championed for 7 years.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Exile. The recap in the following episode contains all the relevant information.

That's the one where Hoshi has to hang out with the loner alien in exchange for navigational info? That episode is so godawful that I remember exactly where and how bored I was when I watched it. About halfway through the episode, I started reading the year-old tabloids my grandmother kept on the sofa table.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I believe the 50th anniversary panel starts in about two minutes and goes for an hour. We should be getting some announcements very very soon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That Planet of the Titans concept is one of the few McQuarrie concepts I outright hate and I can't believe they used it for the new show. I mean goddamn, what a loving horrendous looking ship. And another loving pre-TOS show from the looks of it. You'd think the anniversary would be a perfect opportunity to push the series forward, but what do I know?

Between this, no casting info, and Fuller listing Janeway as his favorite captain, my enthusiasm for the new show has dwindled to almost nothing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

thexerox123 posted:

I found a mirror of it!

I had to beam it over using trans-dimensional technology.

So there's definitely a decloaking sound at the very end of the teaser.

What if the registry is a red herring? What if this actually is set in the future of the TNG timeline? Klingons join the Federation, there's a big technology share, Starfleet restarts the registry numbering, and that's why Discovery looks like an unholy mashup of the two design languages.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
There's also this

quote:

Fuller answered the question of whether the Discovery, just revealed, was based on Ralph McQuarrie’s ‘70s designs for the Enterprise. Fuller said it was, but “to a point that we can’t legally comment on it until [our legal team] figures out some things.”

I'm assuming this would be because McQuarrie created that concept for a film, making it the property of Paramount and not CBS? Maybe Paramount's legal team will save us from that design.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What if the guys who slapped the video together just threw the sound effect in there to go with the text "because it's a star trek sound, the fans will eat it up"?

I'm just trying to justify the worst tv ship design in the history of the franchise :shrug:

I never thought we'd see something uglier than the Oberth, but here we are

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

SuperDucky posted:

I'm shocked because it was awful.

Care to elaborate at all?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

SuperDucky posted:

My initial reaction after watching:

It'd be one thing if it was fan service. It'd be one thing if it was an action movie. It'd be one thing if it was a Star Trek movie. It'd be one thing if it was trying to introduce the new series cogently. It failed at all of those missions because there are too many cooks in the kitchen. You can't have CBS and Bad Robot and Justin Lin and Simon Pegg trying to make the same movie.

Actually, it succeeded at all of those things. The fan service was subtle, the production design was drenched in 60's aesthetics, the action was solid and coherent, and the overall tone and themes are par for the course for Star Trek films.

And you absolutely can have Pegg, Lin, and Paramount trying to make the same film, because that's how films are made. Movies are massive collaborations between hundreds of individuals and dozens of teams, culminating in a single finished product.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

Ugh, I hate that giant space mushroom (much like I hate almost all of ILM's Trek designs).

I don't mind it, but it doesn't make much sense. What happens when you build a ship wider than the doors? Suddenly your huge gently caress-off spacedock isn't compatible with the newest ships.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
internal spacedocks domt make any sense. If something happens, you've created a giant traffic jam as everyone scrambles for the door. The whole design is just to increase tension during the Stealing The Enterprise sequence,

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Pretty good write-up of some post-panel interviews over at Trekmovie. In particular;

quote:

When Trekmovie.com asked Kadin if the teaser for Star Trek: Discovery featured the final design of the ship, music, and logo, she laughed and said “NO! I was surprised Bryan didn’t say that, actually. I mean, we had three weeks to throw that together. We wanted to show fans…we’re super-excited by the score that this amazing composer, Phil Eisner, threw together as an audition and he did an incredible job. The concepts of the ship are totally what we’re going for and they’ll be honed up until, I think, the day we deliver.”

Emphasis mine. I'm glad we have an explanation for how rough everything looks, but doesn't this put them pretty far behind on production? Especially if they hope to premiere in January?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I wouldn't be surprised if CBS was being cheap and giving them a tiny budget to work with.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
After that Discovery reveal, we're all starship victims

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
TOS
TAS
TNG
DS9
VOY
ENT
DSC

Those are the official acronyms.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah, the cast finally seems to have relaxed into the roles. The performances were far more natural than previous films and felt less like impressions of the original cast.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes, which is odd why they would bring Chris Hemsworth back for the 4th one

Because executives don't give a gently caress about character arcs. I guarantee you the decision process for that was "Boy, this Hemsworth kid is really popular! Let's get him back in a Star Track!" "Brilliant!" :homebrew:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah. People often say "oh, well he saw this planet get blown up and his mother die!" but I don't really feel like that's a good excuse.
:jerkbag:

Nu-Spock being more in touch with his human emotions is one of the few interesting things they've done with the character in these movies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Well here's the thing though. Let's just assume that you're right and new is better etc etc. Why does McCoy react like he's seeing a sasquatch when he sees Spock laugh in Beyond? Hey, a super emotional guy had yet another emotional outburst, whatever. Urban played it much more like he was seeing Nimoy's Spock crack up-- like he was seeing something out of character. So is Quinto loving up his characterization or is Urban? Before you answer, keep in mind that Urban is completely flawless in these movies.

NuSpock has had emotional outbursts after 1) watching his mother fall to her death as his home planet is destroyed, 2) after his captain/friend dies saving the ship, and 3) after eulogizing his mentor and future self as he's bleeding to death on a deserted planet after his ship is destroyed. I don't think any of that is out of character. For that last one, McCoy even says that it's a sign Spock is getting delirious from his injuries.

Spock acted like a passive-aggressive smartass for much of TOS. The sagely, stoic Spock that everyone remembers is a TOS movie invention.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
You got a purebred dog from a shady breeder and almost immediately, he started having health issues. You nursed him along for two years, hoping he'd get better. Sure enough, the third year you had him, he started to get stronger and more independent. But halfway through the fourth year you had him, your dad ran him over the same day he learned to fetch and speak. You stuffed him and kept him in the living room for a few months, but now he sits in the attic gathering dust. You think about him now and then, but mostly just to remember how stupid he was those first two years.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I've spent the last few days rewatching the Xindi arc, and I can tell you now that once they establish the premise and introduce Degra, the season gets very good. There's still poo poo like Exile, but the back half of that season is loving brutal in the best way. T'Pol is tripping on trellium, Archer is stealing parts from innocent ships in order to complete the mission, Trip is utterly broken from all the death around him, and the ship is a barely functioning wreck. It's what Voyager should have been, but given a more important goal than "go back home". It's not a coincidence that Manny Coto joined the show just as it got good. I'll agree that seasons 1-2 are mediocre-to-garbage, but 3 and 4 are Good Trek, much better than almost everything Voyager ever did.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Travis is still the most boring character in his own episode, the one where we meet his cargo crew family. Reed is so boring that I swear the writers were in on the joke. There's an episode in season 3 where they run into an alternate future generation-ship version of Enterprise and Reed is the only person who never got married or had kids. He just dies a lonely boring bachelor and no one gives a poo poo. Hoshi gets zero characterization beyond "was a teacher" and "knows all the languages".

Everyone who isn't Phlox, Archer, Trip, or T'pol is pretty much just interactive set dressing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I imagine a season-long 9-11/Iraq allegory probably didn't help.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Just how bad were Enterprise's ratings? Below a 2.0?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

HIJK posted:

How successful is under 2.0 these days?

More successful than it was a few years ago. Big Bang Theory and NCIS hover around 4.4-5.0, and they're two of CBS's bigger hits.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo, Iggy Pop Vorta!

And people say the Ferengi episodes are bad :jerkbag:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kazy posted:

DS9 did it better, and before 9/11 even!

(Let's not forget the episode it copied wholesale from DS9, including having René Auberjonois)

DS9 was an amalgam of WW2, Cold War, and Vietnam battles and issues. Enterprise was straight 9-11/Iraq.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Saw Beyond again today, this time with my dad who's a TOS ultra-fan (he liked it). Caught another easter egg; during the Yorktown scene where Sulu meets his family, there's a boarding call for "Stargazer, NCC-2893". Nice little shout out to TNG, even if the timeline's a little wonky.

edit; although maybe not, if you assume the Stargazer was a 60 year old POS when Picard took command.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 1, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Astroman posted:

Finally got to see the movie today. Great movie, definitely my favorite of the 3. Pine has really grown into the Shatner role, and the callbacks to TOS and Enterprise were awesome!

So a question:

The helmeted soldiers were all drones right? So were the other humanoids like Krall's righthand rear end in a top hat and the chick who got a house saucer dropped on her the other survivors of the Franklin?

Krall's soldiers are the enslaved crews of the other ships he's destroyed on the planet. I think the other non-helmeted alien is implied to be from the Franklin, but it's never really made clear.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
If they wanted to do a really low-budget show, I'd be all for something set directly after First Contact. Not like Enterprise, but something set solely on Earth/Vulcan showing the societal impact of the first couple years after the Vulcan arrival. I'd even settle for a book.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
CBS won't give much of a poo poo about Netflix success if DSC doesn't drive subs for their bloated streaming monstrosity. This is a one season show, calling it now. Maybe one full season and a half order for a second if we're lucky.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Leeta's hot, but she's trashy hot. Ezri is dorky, cute, and seems approachable. Season 7 Kira is the overall correct choice though.

this feels like the gbs thread now

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Under Armor's been A Thing for years. It's a really easy way to identify jackasses from a distance.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Enterprise has the best uniforms. Practical and comfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Unless you're Admiral Forrest, and then you just look like an idiot.