Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

S1E9 of TNG "The Battle": For revenge, an alien race that believes women shouldn't wear clothes and turbo-capitalism gaslight, trigger, and torture Picard, leaving you to wonder if they write their reports like "(((Picard)))" :v:

I know I'm still super early into the show, but this one was pretty drat Good! This is the first one that really got me into the story. I'm amazed that within a couple of episodes the Ferengi went from dweeby hyperactive goblins to an actual threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

of course the first "the holodeck is loving amazing, guys!" episode leads to someone dying. seeing Picard get pumped as hell for seeing cars was worth it

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

just watched the very special drug episode in season 1 of tng. I'm amazed Beverly just didn't go "we've allowed for a permanent underclass of an entire planet of drug addicts. Starfleet is horseshit, I'm outies", because what the gently caress

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 16, 2016

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Nessus posted:

I thought the idea there was that the planet of addicts were going to have mass involuntary detox and would then be fine, while the planet whose only industry was selling narcotics would be like "uh, welp."

Addict Planet made everything for Drug Planet so the losers here would be Drug Planet.

I kind of had that thought, but I still find a forced detox not fully humane. yeah, it screws peddler planet in the long run, but addict planet is going to suffer like hell for an undeterminable amount of time. find a way to help addict planet while dicking with peddler planet.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

true.

also, rip Tasha Yar, the writers didn't bother to give you much to do :(

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Nazareth posted:

Certainly the Ferengi were a poor execution since all I've heard about them were "Space Jews" or whatever crass accusations of anti-Semitism the Internet threw at Roddenberry. I'm not sure if that's fair since his purported political views match up with the intention of creating the Ferengi as a strawman race for capitalism.

Now, more importantly, what the gently caress is this guy about

right now, getting real creepy about Wesley

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

just watched the season 2 episode of tng where the crew/Pulaski tries to solve the olds disease. how was darwin station ok with the federation? I thought they banned screwing around with genetics, because back in the 90s khan tried to rule the world

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Riker bringing Data, Pulaski, Geordi, and Worf over for dinner scrambled eggs and whiskey and Worf going crazy for it has to be the greatest cold opening

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

I know. Why don't they dare going past the DS9 in the timeline? Seriously, what are they afraid of?

not having the borg, I reckon. they seem pretty important to the series as a whole, so maybe they can't figure out what to do afterwards :shrug:

also, thank God for the scenes with Picard and Wesley on the shuttle craft during the Pakled episode, holy hell. :catstare:

Up The Long Ladder wasn't so bad, to me. I don't know if it's because the previous one was the Pakled, or if it was so dumb it was funny

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

who watches the watchers is prett6 enjoyable. if Discovery fails, I would like them to do Vulcan Little House on the Prairie.

(also featuring Liko's bronze age compound bow, bought from a Sports Authority)

Gonz posted:

At long last, a big budget depiction of a Weed Planet.

Data listening to 27 different Bob Marley and Peter Tosh songs at once while chilling in a beanbag.

the vape-fish beam aboard, their e-cigarette harmonicas replaced with bongs

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 16, 2016

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

oh jesus, Geordi's boning the ship, isn't he :ughh:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

holy poo poo, Lal. That part where Riker, when Data asks him what he's doing with his daughter, and he just gets the gently caress outta 10 forward has to be my favorite moment so far

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

the guy that's captured data in "The Most Toys" is shatnering like a motherfucker

this is some a+ scenery chewing

also, season 3 of TNG is the season of shameful holodeck usage, with Barclay's larping and data's ship boning

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 26, 2016

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

funny way to spell posted:

I've just found a massive plot-hole in Star Trek. On stardate 46379.1 the USS Enterprise D arrives at Deep Space Nine "to assist in the reconstruction of the Bajoran aqueduct systems, damaged during the Cardassian occupation". The exterior view of the Enterprise docked at an upper pylon is shown in both the DS9 episode "Emissary" and in the Next Generation episode "Birthright, Part I". However, in the TNG episode Bajor is nowhere to been seen. Both episodes take place before the station was moved closer to the wormhole by order of Major Kira in "Emissary, Part II"

Boy I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Yes it is, since TOS. Garth of Izar fought in it.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Axanar

I'm sure it'd be possible to casually dismiss whatever details the fan film people came up with for it, but the event itself (whatever it was) has been canon for a long time.

Garth of Izard should just be Garth of Wayne's World.

Finished up season 3 of TNG. Locutus of Borg shouldn't have been over in a two parter. it's such a neat concept to just be done with it immediately. Worf's parents are really great, too :3:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Hell, that was TNG's first two-parter.

They had to fight to have Picard's breakdown in Family as a follow-up, too.

wow, that was such a great scene, too. it's "my no-jokes, this scene is really good" favorite scene so far

Best of Both Worlds and Family are extremely well done. which is especially good because the 2-3 eps before them were clunkers

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 30, 2016

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Hey, at least he's stopped clicking on the links in Iconian junk mail.

oh man imagine sending Data down to the Ferengi home world

"are your ears too small to feel anything during oomox? get bigger lobe size now!" on repeat and with crazed tone changes each time

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

that name is reserved for the nerdy fish race with the vape harmonicas :colbert:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

CharlieWhiskey posted:

It looks like Data is rockin that jazz piano

i like the guy in the background, looking at everyone else to see if he's doing it right

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

man the crystalline entity was such a great addition to the trek universe, what with its two episodes 4 season apart and then being blown up in its second appearance :effort:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Dirty posted:

Couldn't agree more. Really wanted to like it, but it's just dominated by clutter.

Everyone seems angled towards an empty space in the middle. Everyone is on a different level. Riker and Troi look really awkward. Picard looks lonely. The consoles look tiny and unimportant which seems an odd choice when this set's sole function is to sell this room as the nerve centre of the ship.

it looks like Picard, Riker and Troi are game show contestants. the entire set feels like some kind of Space Who Wants to be a Millionaire

wait no, it's weakest link. Picard swivels his chair around asking people on the outer edges of the bridge questions. cheating in space weakest link is so rampant, Riker and Troi are this week's rotating panel judges.

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 29, 2016

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

i dont think humanity should rebuild after the nuclear war if our video games are just going to be occlus rift ones where you throw a pizza into a tornado

e: alright, The Game is one of the few that's just downright awful. With all the other bad ones, there's at least something amusing happening

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 30, 2016

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Darmok and Jalad at Tacobell

Shaka, his pants brown :itwaspoo:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

TheBigAristotle posted:

I've always wondered why fighting with giant q-tips was the "ultimate form of martial arts"

the few pieecs of recorded entertainment left after the post-atomic horror for a bit was VHS tapes of American Gladiator

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

with the tng episode where they loose their memories from a laser, it's pretty entertaining that worf slinked his way into the captains chair, with Picard in the ensign death seat :allears:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

so there's an entire carny planet, and Ralph is the Guardian of it?

this is a pretty fun ep! :allears:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Wrapped up S5 of TNG finally

Time's Arrow is an entertaining 2 part episode of Doctor Who that features the TNG cast for some reason

At least until you get to the last half of part 2 with Twain on the ship

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 20, 2017

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

The only thing I don't like about it is the forced "Oh call me Jack, Jack London!". Samuel Clements is fine though.

I was expecting Ford when Data was working on the thing on his desk and he started asking about engines and stuff

(note i know zero things about the history of cars)

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I shouldnt be laughing as hard as I am that there's an information peddler named Shrek that hangs around on DS9, but here I am

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

oh gently caress yeah TNG's getting weird and introspective

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I finished my first watch-through of TNG last night. The series finale was pretty good and I legit got teary-eyed at the last scene. Gonna watch the premier of DS9 tonight!

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

i didn't skip a thing for TOS and I didn't skip a thing for TNG. All or nothing :colbert:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

when i was watching TNG, i really only found 2-4 episodes that are straight-up unbearable. That video game one was one of them, and the other one was Rascals. The rest of the ones that were bad were just dull and forgettable

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

i do like the Guinan and Ro scenes in Rascals :3:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

MorgaineDax posted:

gently caress every single person that doesn't love Number One Dad in the Number One Episode.

Worst episode is Force of Nature. The speed limit episode.

Yeah. But I don't think it's the worst, just spectacularly stupid. I get wanting to do an environmental episode at that time. But there just needs to be a better way to go about doing that rather than having lines in future episodes where you just get around the issue with "Starfleet says we can go real fast now".

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

:ssh:

Watched the first couple of episodes of ds9. I'm liking the cast so far; Garak is pretty great and it's cool to see Obrien doing things besides operating transporters

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

some mullet aliens are really loving pissed at Quark for cheating at roulette Gabbo dabbo :rolldice:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

oh lord the grand nagus is on board ds9 and he's horny af :stonk:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

DS9: Vortex - Quark is selling Fabergé eggs to aliens that have butts (with tiny buttholes!) on their forehead

e:these alien's noses are yonic as hell, too

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

DS9 "Rivals" lmao O'Brien's a salty baby at space racquet ball