Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Another plot point of those books was that V Ger was the result of the probe landing on the planet of the Borg. They outdid themselves with that one I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I barely remember but the wiki says this;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Return_(Shatner_novel)

"In the process, they learn that V'ger, the former Voyager 6, was actually upgraded by a division of the Borg Collective, which explains why the Borg did not assimilate Spock; they assumed the trace of V'ger in his mind from their meld (in Star Trek: The Motion Picture) was an actual link to the Collective. This also gives Starfleet another advantage; thanks to the meld, Spock knows the location of the Borg homeworld."

It made no sense to me because V Ger is on a whole nother level as a physical threat when compared to the Borg. It was not something you could fight.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Now, I know this is an rear end pull along the lines of Heisenberg Compensator's, but I would say that all spy's doing disguise work would likely have a little gizmo on or in them that gives false readings to medical scanners.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Crusher is boring and has zero personality. Try to describe her without using the words "Doctor", "Picard's friend", or "Wesley's mom". You can't.
Has the natural walk of a striptease queen.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

Where in ST canon is Sulu implied or shown to be straight?

When he prances around with his shirt off wielding a fencing sword and promising to save the neither fair nor maidenly Uhura. Though, we should have seen the truth pretty easily, his mirror universe characterization is straight. Also he's from San Francisco.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 8, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Seriously, I think he's probably right that it should be a new character, but there is not enough room in these movies for the characters in them much less anyone new. The films have always been pretty bad about making the crew outside of the main three something of an afterthought and I doubt this one will be any different, so it barely matters if they make Sulu gay or not because it's not like he's going be in the movie for more than a minute or two.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 8, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

They should make Kirk bisexual, make the old slashers swoon.

You are right though, The characterization of the main characters is pretty set now, and modern Kirk and Spock barely even seem to like each other, much less have any romantic chemistry. Sulu is so poorly characterized at this point it might as well be him. I don't even remember him doing anything in the second movie, my mind flashes back to skydiving and folded samurai swords when he comes up.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 8, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Showing that it isn't big deal in the future to be queer is a great sentiment and all but really isn't enough, because right now, it is a big deal.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

True, but I would argue that worked as well as it did because Uhura was there week in week out on the bridge. A movie can't normalize things in the way a television show can.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I want them to not give him a goddamn samurai sword. Honestly, what the gently caress.

Do you think New Sulu was a gay character in the first two movies or do you think they saw the same thing I did earlier and said "Hey, there's nothing in those movies that say's he isn't!"

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

He must have been so loving thrilled when Thomas turned up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck-VIA1GUCY

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's unfortunate how Data regressed in the movies. Then again, the TNG movies were all pretty off on characterization, didn't Troi lose her accent?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can't even fault Kirk's death, the character dies helping to save an entire world. What more could you want?

Maybe just a little bit of time spent showing the world they are going to save and it's people?

I mean, I know the point of it is that the Enterprise Crew and Kirk are heroes, and they will try to save people even if they will never see them, but as a member of the audience, I really need to see what is being threatened at least for a little bit in order to feel tense that they are all about to be killed. People die all the time in real life and we don't even think about it that much, if we did it would take up all our time. It is only when people we are at least somewhat acquainted with die that we really feel it. We need to meet the victims for drama to work.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 12, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

But the movie does this as well; we see that the destruction of Veridian III would also result in the death of the surviving Enterprise-D crew. And we've known them for 7 years.

I don't think they could have done anything to convince me the crew were all going to die at the end of a Star Trek movie and I really don't know that they even tried. I was more thinking about the peoples on the inhabited world or worlds in the intended path of the nexus they mentioned. It's just put out there but they're never shown so they really don't linger or serve as dramatic tension at all.

The possible destruction of those planets and the possible death of Kirk and/or Picard would have felt more tense if the Enterprise crew weren't there at all, as I could buy them possibly killing Picard but certainly not the whole crew dying.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 12, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I love how in that episode Troi does her loving job and tells everyone that this poo poo is not on the level and Geordie is in danger and everyone proceeds to just dismiss her warnings outright.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Aside from all that, my dumb pedantic complaint about it is that when Kirk yelled KHAAAAN they at least had an open communication channel; Kirk was actually yelling at Khan. But Spock is just howling the name heedlessly to the heavens, with nobody around to hear him. It's, well, illogical

Not only is he yelling at Khan, he is also really hamming it up intentionally, trying to make him think he's in a way worse position than he is. Shatner the actor playing Kirk the actor.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The people who know and love the show would think it's cool and be happy to have more options for dress up at the conventions and the people who don't wouldn't care.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I like the episode where Picard just straight murders himself from the future.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

You write something into a script for some lovely going nowhere sci fi show in order to make things sound real and suddenly that show is going somewhere and now everyone is expected to remember that throwaway bit of technobabble for ever and ever.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

To be fair, Star Fleet tactics seem mostly to consist of sitting in one spot and shooting at the other vessel until such time as one or both of you explode. Trying something audacious, such as avoiding fire is a bold step, I mean, it's not like they're a military.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 16, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

They revealed the fact that Sulu was gay pretty recently, right? Right before the movies premier? They really could have saved a headache by talking the idea out with Takei early on rather than springing the idea and hoping he would be on board. I mean, I know it isn't his say and its not like he owns the character, but they very much seemed to be depending on a different response from him, and maybe could have got it if they had talked to him rather than making assumptions.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

True, but they very clearly made it about honoring him, and absolutely where banking on his approval, otherwise they wouldn't have made it a thing in the lead-up to release. They jumped on using Takei, without ever bothering to check with him as to whether he was interested in being part of it. He didn't just give his opinion on the matter out of the blue

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

There is one episode of the original series, where Uhura teases Spock for a bit and it is pretty flirty on her part, and I'm pretty sure it's like the only episode they watched.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It doesn't help that he loses his cool completely at least once per movie he is in. He comes across as more emotionally unstable than any of the other characters in the films. Part of it has to be on writing, because I doubt he has much say regarding that, but he really is pretty terrible even when he is supposed to be in full Vulcan mode. Any time someone talks to him he seems to go all defensive.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 27, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Spock laughing was a great moment. :colbert:

It would have been better if he had more restraint at other times.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Of course everyone is also very lucky to have crash landed in the same general area on a planet.

A lot of the crew died in the initial attack presumably, How many people were jammed into the NX near the end there? Doesn't the Enterprise seat like over a thousand?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Maybe they could split the difference and have the ship get messed up when operating within the atmosphere rather than having to fall from orbit?

Tunicate posted:

were they even in orbit?

Exactly.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Drone posted:

This also destroys any tension caused by that entire scene, ruins the pacing of the entire event, and shatters the illusion that everyone has of the drama that is unfolding. Congrats, everyone in the theater has been put to sleep.

Nothing in these movies is very tense. Nothing in modern blockbuster film making is ever very tense. The action quota means something crazy will always be happening or about to happen and nothing ever feels very real. I never feel any sense of danger when it comes to the name characters because they get through everything without breaking a sweat and are ready to go five minutes later when the next action sequence commences. Not every film needs to be all build like the Shining but there needs to be a build for the action to have any meaning beyond pointless spectacle.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

edit- ^^^ that's basically the only thing I can bring myself to nerd rage out over with new films. It drives me crazy that other than Spock, none of the JJTrek characters have any real history as Starfleet officers and just kind of get dumped into their roles fully formed. It feels lazy and unnecessary and I hate it. :saddowns:

Hell, there's even a two parter where they literally stage a coup in part to kick the Federation out.

This is a major irritant for me, though this movie generally allowed me to ignore it by not bringing it up like the last two did. Chris Pine is now one year older than Shatner was when the series started.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Echophonic posted:

I'm working my way through TNG and I just got to the one in season 2 where they loving mind wipe a child because Data violated the poo poo out of the Prime Directive. Why does the Federation have mind wiping advanced enough to work on aliens?

They use it again somewhat more egregiously later. Mind wiping people just seems to be part of the regular Star-fleet playbook.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Frakes and Sirtis had Gargoyles I suppose.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Gates was one of the choreographers in Labyrinth before doing Next Gen.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It just ends up requiring people to just wear extra clothes whenever they have tools. Crusher gets her lab coat, security get belts. There has never been a Star Trek where people don't carry stuff around.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 4, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Sounds like I'm winning the bad Star Trek opinions crown. Any comers? :toughguy:

I really like Lwaxana and feel she has some very affecting episodes.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

If you have Chekov's ear hanging in your office you have to kill someone with it by the end of the day though, it's a pain.

You know what? I just realized that in Star Trek 4, Checkov's gun failed to fire.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

My favorite captain is the one I rolled on the life path system for Fasa's Star Trek RPG. He had like 8 tours of duty, did poorly on all of them, and obviously only got his command because of blackmail or a relative in the Admiralty.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Wikkheiser posted:

The All Access thing is the stupidest thing. But I don't care what era it's set in, as what matters is writing and characters. Moving the timeline ever forward is pointless if the show sucks.

That is the only thing that matters. The show could literally be set on the Voyager, during specific episodes, about background characters, and as long as it was well written and enjoyable to watch, that right there is a good show. On the other hand it can be full of interesting premises, set in unexplored space, full of outside threats and possible dissension within the crew, and it could be terrible for not getting writing and character right. In other words, it could actually be Voyager.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

They should set in on an Excelsior, but post DS9.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

McNally posted:

At first I thought this might be a cool idea, but then I realized that they'd probably play it up as a crew having to figure out workarounds because they don't have the most up-to-date ship.

And then it would just be "technobabble coming out of their asses to solve mundane problems" every episode.

Technobabble is an issue no matter what ship they are flying around in. The issue there is in the writing, and an Akira or Sovereign class ship would not fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I'm continuing my DS9 watchthrough (there are huge swathes I've never seen) and I've reached Homefront.

It irks me that in 300 years apparently the New Orleans accent has vanished. Sisko's dad pronounces the city name as 'New OR-leens', rather than the native 'N'awl'ns'. :mad:

It is sad, but it makes some sense as even the French don't have a French accent anymore.