Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Holy poo poo, these guys are sitting on actual office chairs with wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder how many injuries they actually had because of those.

Edit: Looks like the helm seats have some sort of retaining ring to sort of hold it in place.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

The ultimate OSHA nightmare, in keeping with traditional Starfleet design. The first bump you hit and your helmsman and navigator go flying while your captain trips over his end table.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

I wonder how many injuries they actually had because of those.

Edit: Looks like the helm seats have some sort of retaining ring to sort of hold it in place.
There's a shot of one of the rear seats rolling away when they get slammed by the Praxis shockwave. I'm guessing one of the extras gave it a good shove when face-planting onto the deck.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I want to change my vote to the Defiant for best bridge. It's only negative aspect is that your helmsman is blocking the captain's view of the viewscreen.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I want to change my vote to the Defiant for best bridge. It's only negative aspect is that your helmsman is blocking the captain's view of the viewscreen.

Definitely best bridge.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Remember how they made a big deal out of that holographic communication system in that one DS9 episode and then never did it again?

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Remember how they made a big deal out of that holographic communication system in that one DS9 episode and then never did it again?

Hey it was in like, two episodes.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Personal log, Stardate 47391.2

I am returning from the bat'leth competition on Forcas III.

The conditions were difficult.

Several contenders were maimed.

One contender used an illegal t'gha maneuver on me.

The judges chose to ignore it.

I was robbed of my rightful standing. I was awarded Ninth Place.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That and it's the most-prone to wounding your bridge crew even though the shields are still up.

DS9 got really silly with the bridge pyrotechnics and camera-shake.

FlamingLiberal posted:

They actually used it for two episodes (the other being the one where the idiot dipshit writers retconned Bashir into being a GMO) before figuring out the gimmick sucked.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I liked the NX-01 bridge a lot because it had some of its officer stations facing the captain rather than the walls. It looked particularly good in Season 4 when it got a nice splash of TOS colours.

But my favourite is probably the TMP/WOK Enterprise bridge just because it's oddly dark at all times, but not too dark, like Kirk was going through some kind of mood lighting phase at the time. All it needed was some string lights and a little bar.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

They actually used it for two episodes (the other being the one where the idiot dipshit writers retconned Bashir into being a GMO) before figuring out the gimmick sucked.

I read that as "HMO" and was racking my brain for an episode where Quark gets into the insurance business.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I mean, seriously. "I'm appearing as a hologram in this one weird alcove on your bridge, instead of behind the viewer where the holographic imagery normally goes." Yeah, that makes sense.

Also "I'm standing on the same set as you, only because I have a spotlight shining on me from above and have to stay in this marked-off area, that means I'm a hologram" is the sort of low-rent poo poo I'd expect from the BBC.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
Iirc the hologram technology was used for the Voyager episode with George off of Seinfeld. I think it was his invention there, don't think it was federation.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

No the two things were completely different. In Voyager they just said the actor was a super advanced hologram (even though we see him drink and eat on Voyager) the DS9 thing was a weird sort of holographic frame the actor stood in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They never used it again because it would have reminded them of how much of a poo poo actor Kenneth Marshal was.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I am the opposite of excited for this new series. All the posts earlier about prequels and technology are my main beef.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was lame because the viewscreen is already holographic. Your perspective into the other ship changes based on from where you view your screen.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cojawfee posted:

It was lame because the viewscreen is already holographic. Your perspective into the other ship changes based on from where you view your screen.
Yeah, but because we never got a shot that tracked across the bridge that followed the viewacreen, the audience hardly ever remembered that

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wikkheiser posted:

The best bridge design:

Word.

I used to play this with a relative. Im the one that figured out how to synthesize the Vulcan/Romulan Pox cure :smug:

When I got a Mac, I bought it and promptly got stuck at the puzzle at the end of the first world. My parents were out an additional $25 for the Player's Guide.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How was the battle controlled in the very beginning of the game? My sisters and I played it once and I remember we had trouble getting past that. I have a feeling it's something really easy and we were just retarded kids.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Or even a show back in the Delta Quadrant, showing how Voyager totally hosed up their lives and the legends around them somehow.

I've been binge watching it lately and it's amazing how every couple episodes it's brought up that Voyager is a warmongerer or destabilizer or something of the like.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cojawfee posted:

How was the battle controlled in the very beginning of the game? My sisters and I played it once and I remember we had trouble getting past that. I have a feeling it's something really easy and we were just retarded kids.

Just like the real ship - steer with the mouse, left button for photons, right button for phasers.

Also gently caress that first motherfucking puzzle.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I've been watching a few episodes of DS9's series one again, since apart from the usual suspects I'm struggling to remember them. They are very rough, I can see why Bashir was very unpopular early on. I watched the body snatcher episode and while competent its not really very tense. They also screw up early on, they try keep the villain a secret until the end but in the scene where they're threatening Quark you can catch their face pretty clearly for a few seconds.

it's possessed Bashir, and its some of the worst acting I've ever seen. every word of dialogue has a weird pause after it "I... don't... think... you're... about... to... risk...the.... life... of... your... good... doctor...."

And Battle Lines, it made me wish we had a few more appearances by Kai Opaka. And it makes what she did in The Collaborator more understandable. The episode itself was pretty uneven, I like how they've been fighting an unending war for so long both tribes have become incredibly apathetic while still saturated with mutual hatred. But it comes across as a bit too silly, I think its a good case study for SF conventions masking the real world themes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi came a long way during the show, his acting got better and the character got a lot better. He also managed to protest/resist the extremely stupid GMO SUPER MAN angle they wanted to push the character in.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

They should set in on an Excelsior, but post DS9.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
On the face of it, the holographic communicator thing is actually a really, really good idea because dramatically speaking you can have both actors in the same physical space, acting and reacting off each other, even though technically they're standing on separate ships.

I don't know if they ever got close to using that technique to its full potential though. Or even realising how valuable it was. Depressingly I think that one scene in Nemesis between Picard and Tom Hardy is as close as they ever got to following through. If they ever set a Star Trek beyond the time of Nemesis, it's the one thing I hope they pick up and run with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Baronjutter posted:

Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi came a long way during the show, his acting got better and the character got a lot better. He also managed to protest/resist the extremely stupid GMO SUPER MAN angle they wanted to push the character in.

I liked it when Julian would show off how he could do calculations at a Spock rate or better.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Apollodorus posted:

Personal log, Stardate 47391.2

I am returning from the bat'leth competition on Forcas III.

The conditions were difficult.

Several contenders were maimed.

One contender used an illegal t'gha maneuver on me.

The judges chose to ignore it.

I was robbed of my rightful standing. I was awarded Ninth Place.

Were you actually on this team or are you just pulling cheap comedy, I don't go outside much :(

If so hey, I hope you had fun and I also hope you didn't contract a Tellarite gut pox.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Nessus posted:

Were you actually on this team or are you just pulling cheap comedy, I don't go outside much :(

That is not cheap comedy it is a serious humorous effortpost. It requires good knowledge of both Star Trek and Rugby sevens.

The joke is supposed to be that the USA team, like New Zealand, Australia, and Kenya, seriously underperformed at the Olympics tournament this year, and in particular that the USA happened to get 9th (rather than the 3rd-5th we were expecting) which is also what Worf got in one of the alternate timelines in "Parallels" and I mostly just needed to vent after getting really bummed out.

The guy in the first image is the USA coach; the guy getting injured is the biggest rugby star to play in the tournament who lasted about 1 minute before getting a season-ending injury (torn Achilles); the guy getting tackled around the neck - which is illegal - is the same as the guy in my av, the USA veteran player Zack Test.

e: VVV thank you, it made me feel better to post it

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 11, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

For the record, I laughed when you originally posted it. It was perfect.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Baka-nin posted:

I've been watching a few episodes of DS9's series one again, since apart from the usual suspects I'm struggling to remember them. They are very rough, I can see why Bashir was very unpopular early on. I watched the body snatcher episode and while competent its not really very tense. They also screw up early on, they try keep the villain a secret until the end but in the scene where they're threatening Quark you can catch their face pretty clearly for a few seconds.

it's possessed Bashir, and its some of the worst acting I've ever seen. every word of dialogue has a weird pause after it "I... don't... think... you're... about... to... risk...the.... life... of... your... good... doctor...."

And Battle Lines, it made me wish we had a few more appearances by Kai Opaka. And it makes what she did in The Collaborator more understandable. The episode itself was pretty uneven, I like how they've been fighting an unending war for so long both tribes have become incredibly apathetic while still saturated with mutual hatred. But it comes across as a bit too silly, I think its a good case study for SF conventions masking the real world themes.

When he's on the viewscreen from the ship, you can see the alien extra is completely unable to contain his laughter at the ridiculous voice.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cojawfee posted:

If you didn't have a mouse it was the Numpad for direction, space for photons and something like enter for phasers. You had to hit W and S at the moment the fight started to arm the weapons and raise shields.

You also wanted to set engines to 4-7 and occasionally ~ to reverse impulse so you wouldn't be a sitting duck. If your shields started going brown, a shot of E would give you Emergency Powah. T would bring up Tactical which would show you damage on the enemy ship.

Strategy-wise you didn't want to get into a head-on fight unless you'd weakened the ship first. Mostly it's flying around trying to come at the enemy at a WoK vector to pound their aft shields.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

remusclaw posted:

They should set in on an Excelsior, but post DS9.

At first I thought this might be a cool idea, but then I realized that they'd probably play it up as a crew having to figure out workarounds because they don't have the most up-to-date ship.

And then it would just be "technobabble coming out of their asses to solve mundane problems" every episode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought it was really strange that there were still Excellsior class vessels in use in the DS9 era.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

McNally posted:

At first I thought this might be a cool idea, but then I realized that they'd probably play it up as a crew having to figure out workarounds because they don't have the most up-to-date ship.

And then it would just be "technobabble coming out of their asses to solve mundane problems" every episode.

Technobabble is an issue no matter what ship they are flying around in. The issue there is in the writing, and an Akira or Sovereign class ship would not fix it.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Rhyno posted:

I thought it was really strange that there were still Excellsior class vessels in use in the DS9 era.

A trait of Starfleet ships prior to the TNG era seems to have been that they were very modular and easy to retrofit, making them extremely durable and long lived.

Probably more than a few boats of Theseus in that bunch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

armoredgorilla posted:

A trait of Starfleet ships prior to the TNG era seems to have been that they were very modular and easy to retrofit, making them extremely durable and long lived.

Probably more than a few boats of Theseus in that bunch.

Did the TNG tech manual say that the Galaxy Class had large modular sections for ease of upgrades?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm continuing my DS9 watchthrough (there are huge swathes I've never seen) and I've reached Homefront.

It irks me that in 300 years apparently the New Orleans accent has vanished. Sisko's dad pronounces the city name as 'New OR-leens', rather than the native 'N'awl'ns'. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The_Doctor posted:

I'm continuing my DS9 watchthrough (there are huge swathes I've never seen) and I've reached Homefront.

It irks me that in 300 years apparently the New Orleans accent has vanished. Sisko's dad pronounces the city name as 'New OR-leens', rather than the native 'N'awl'ns'. :mad:

This is continuing the weird Trek trend were all French linked accents have become extinct.

And yet weirdly Picard keeps the flames of French nationalism alive for a few seasons