Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It makes sense if you consider TNG-VOY-ENT to be one long-running show, which is basically is.

I was thinking of Star Trek as a whole. Enterprise is pretty much the crossover point where it became more about filling in the blanks instead of about doing new things. There were hints of it earlier, and quality was not always consistent even when the show was still trying new things, but from Enterprise on, it's been nothing but prequels and retreads. Enterprise is Star Trek's final step into becoming a nostalgia property.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Windows 98 posted:

I’m now on the episode with the transporter malfunction that’s turns Ro into a ghost. Picard walks through her, and she swipes her hand through a computer. Yet for some reason she can stand on the floor of the ship?

I shouldn't tell you this, it might put me in danger, but...Ghosts are real and they are the reason we are all alive right now. Scientists don't want to tell people that but it's true. It is also true that anyone who ever told you they saw a ghost was either a liar or was mistaken. Gravity affects ghosts, and they also go though all matter, but they do burn, they are combustible. People die. A ghost is created. It immediately falls through the earth into the ghost furnace at the center. This keeps the fires stoked and allows people to live on the planet. Who built the ghost furnace? You wouldn't believe me if I told you.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Genre's exist for the sole purpose of giving people something to argue about.

vv Alright Motherfucker, it's on! First of all, sci fi in the first place is unfairly...vv

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 1, 2018

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

Is this because every race seems so devoted to military conquest and weapons development that their social and technical development stagnated millennia ago, and now everyone's just sort of swapping power?

Or is it that every iteration of Star Wars, regardless of medium, presents itself so closely to the original successful formula because they want to avoid eviction from the canon by fans, and the result is an uninspiring, Star Wars-tinted smear?

For a variety of reasons, brand recognition being one, and the limitations of graphics at the time being another, they decided to jettison the space Conan the Barbarian look of the "Tales of the Jedi" comics for a much more Star Warsy look.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Space Belgium, with a hint of Fascist Italy.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

He should have been cornered on Cardassia during the uprising and been Mussolinnied or Ceausescued.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I can't remember, do Picard's family on Earth have a British accent?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

That doesn't even specify that it's on Earth.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Epicurius posted:

Look at how many people are against nuclear power, though, because of the atomic bomb and the arms race. People overreact sometimes.

I am not against nuclear power, but I would reckon that people dislike it more because of the likes of Chernobyl, Fukushima, and Three Mile Island.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Federation genetic engineering research only resulted in a disease that aged people to death at an incredibly accelerated rate, no reason to fear the concept or anything.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Much like with artificial Intelligence, people take the fiction that surrounds incidents like Chernobyl far more seriously than they probably should.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Nessus posted:

Even his butt?

They say the butt is the window to the soul.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Shatner has been enmeshed in nerd culture for what, near 50 years at this point? I can believe he would see twitter as a way to engage and hustle between conventions.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Nessus posted:

I'll be curious how you take DS9. DS9 introduces more conflicting agendas and complex characters with nuance, of course, but it doesn't enter the realm of "everyone is a middle aged man with a nagging harridan of a wife committing crimes in locations that are inexpensive to film in"

Weirdly enough, season one of TNG is the one with the most questioning of what Star Fleet is doing, what with the mini conspiracy arc that results in that particular body horror episode near the end of it. Strangely now that I think about it, despite the fact that the Roddenberry directives are as in full force as they would ever be, season one is where the characters are at their harshest and least likable.

Also, on TMP talk a few pages back, this isn't an original thought, but I sort of see TMP as the Cage to TNG's Encounter At Farpoint. The original pilot that didn't take off, but still very much an attempt at doing the same thing. Deltans to Betazoids, Decker to Riker, Jumpsuit to spandex, etc...

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

As an absolute lover of quantum leap, I was at the time baffled by how uninteresting Bakula managed to be as Archer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Its not just the civilians. Everyone in the fed is insufferable. You just get used to the main cast after a while and their idiotic habits and idiosyncrasies are shown in best light wheras the guest stars are portrayed as villains and obstructionists at best.