Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

For the record, I laughed when you originally posted it. It was perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tunicate posted:

The risian luxury cruiser is pretty great

The top half is glass, with has a little beach with a desert island and a sailboat inside. :kimchi:

:argh: Transparent aluminum! :argh:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

What was the whole story behind the Jeri Ryan \ Obama presidency thing again?

Her husband, Jack Ryan, was running for Senate in Illinois. During his campaign, their divorce documents were leaked, which showed that he was an abusive dick who pressured her to have sex in public and took her to sex clubs and etc. Jack Ryan drops out of the race, leaving a certain Barack Obama to win that Senate seat.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Apollodorus posted:

Watching the Star Trek retrospective. Jonathan Frakes seems to be saying that watching Star Trek was the only happy thing his family did when he was growing up :stare:

No, he was saying that of all the comments he got saying "Star Trek inspired me to be an engineer or a doctor or whatever" the most powerful ones were people who said "When Star Trek was on, it was the only time my family was at peace."

He wasn't referring to his own personal situation.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Apollodorus posted:

That retrospective wasn't all that good, EXCEPT for RDM's effective, honest breakdown of why Generations sucked.

It's funny, because I just watched Chaos on the Bridge last week, and then the retrospective just sucks Gene's dick for the entire time while I'm laughing to myself thinking about all of the stories with his crazy lawyer and whatnot.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's because Star Trek shouldn't take 3-4 minute long breaks to feature a loving terrible lounge singer. That's why I hate Vic.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Oh bloody hell, of course there is. With beard patches Thomas. :doh:

The greatest "dun dun DUNNNN!" moment in Star Trek history.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

My favorite thing is the episode where Data gets kidnapped by the collector guy. Troi being able to tell that the dude is lying would instantly resolve the conflict, but she's not on the bridge at the time so I guess everyone just takes his word for it and accepts that Data is dead with absolutely zero foul play.

Also, in the episode with the Pakled, Troi goes "Hey, I sense deception from them, we should probably be careful" and Riker goes :smug: "Pfffffffft, whatever. Send over our Chief Engineer."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Well Manicured Man posted:

Didn't kid Worf kill another kid in a soccer match?

Really makes one double take at his "Death to the opposition!" yell in the DS9 baseball episode.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxCW9xmamzQ

Shame on you, Mr. Clemens. Shame.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Data Graham posted:

(((Bajorans)))

:gowron:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Marshal Radisic posted:

Oh wow...Strange Horizons just published the only review of Star Trek Beyond that anyone needs to read. It's a bit of a gag, sure, but it's one of the few things I've read that articulates why none of these reboot movies have ever worked for me.

A BIT of a gag?

Jesus Christ, if this writer were more up his own rear end, he'd disappear into a subspace rear end bubble.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh my god. Because it comes from Hamburg.

No, it was invented by a little old lady in Leningrad.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Angry Salami posted:

There's also dozens of dead Next Gen characters after "Cause and Effect"...

But on the plus side, they gained Captain Frasier and his crew!

Niles is First Officer, I presume.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

To me the worst episode of TNG is Cost of Living. Way worse than Sub Rosa.

"The higher, the fewer"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TheBigAristotle posted:

Yes, but what did Sub Rosa give us? A thread title?

And apparently the sexual awakening of quite a few young goons.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I've found people's opinion on Lwaxana is almost entirely down to age. Olds like me have come to really like her and sympathise with her, specially after her DS9 development. Young folk find her annoying and dumb. Heartless people of any age also share that opinion.

Lwaxana herself isn't the problem of Cost with Living.

It's the holodeck program that she creates.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WickedHate posted:

The thing I like about this is that he knew it was a fruitless gesture and that he'd be cloned again. Worf risked the guards killing him just to stick it to Weyoun.

The General posted:

Missing the best part, Damar laughing.

This is why Worf did it. To get a laugh from Damar.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

How long do Cardassians live? If they're closer to Vulcan life spans, then the age stuff works fine.

He might have been 45 then and he's 75 now but 75 is "middle aged" for Cardassians.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I think you guys are underestimating how much work replacing all of the systems of an entire space station is.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

You guys, it's MisterBibs.

Don't try to analyze a broken thought process.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

The minute you claim that root beer is actually the drink of choice for Starfleet or its cadets, I'm rolling my eyes.

No one claims this. Nog is weirdly into root beer, no one else calls it their drink of choice. I guess Jake likes it too, but all of the adults drink other stuff.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wait, is Jack a goon? I need some context here.

MisterBibs likes to go into their Twitch chat and complain about their opinions on the Star Wars prequels, which led to that gif.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 20, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

I explained how RLM's Plinkett reviews were multiple hours of words where "It's Not My Star Wars" would've sufficed. Jack tried to explain how their multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars" was something other than multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars".

Yes, this is why you are horribly incorrect, the prequel reviews are not just "It's Not My Star Wars" like everyone tried to tell you, but your brain is broken in a way where once you've determined you are correct you can't be persuaded.

Except you can be shamed into thinking TV Tropes is bad based on goon opinion. You are a strange case, MisterBibs.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WickedHate posted:

To be fair, TV Tropes is basically pouring creepy poo poo out of every orifice. It's pretty easy to understand how someone can like the prequels, but after a few billion examples of the absolute bottom of TV Tropes it's pretty objectively bad, not even getting into the more subjective problems with the kind of writing and media analysis it encourages.

No, I get that, it's just that was the one time he took goon consensus that he was wrong and agreed with it. But he'll dig in and fight anyone who argues about anything with him to the death. Why that one?

MisterBibs posted:

Yes, everyone tried to tell me that multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars" was not actually multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars". Given that it's multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars", the outcome was hardly in doubt.

You really don't understand that your perception of reality is off when you're the one odd man out arguing what a thing is? Like, not even arguing about the quality of the thing, but objectively describing what that thing is.

Because the prequel reviews are literally not what you keep saying they are.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

feel free to PM me about this rather than continue a needless detail in a Trek thread.

A PM argument with you is certainly one of the levels of hell. I'll pass, but I will drop the derail

MisterBibs posted:

RLM isn't known for making hour-long videos about JJTrek not being Star Trek

Firebert posted:

Also lol there is literally an hour-long Plinkett review about how Star Trek (2009) is not a Star Trek movie but is a well-made action movie.

loving :laffo:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Zore posted:

He didn't like Star Wars so they worshipped his disgusting rape fantasy series.

Like, no joke, the Plinkett reviews are basically an exercise in how loving terrible nerd fandom is. Yeah I'm watching a dude overacting and pretending to be a serial killer/rapist with a woman locked up in his house, but man look at that insight about Star Wars.

Its really gross.

You must be fun at parties.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's weird to see people get up in arms over slightly edgy humor on these forums, but hey, different strokes.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

No matter how much I dislike Red Letter Media, at least they're not Cinema Sins, which is literally just a list of dumbass complaints like "The studio logo is too long" or "This character drinks coffee late at night".

"*Attractive actress* isn't giving me a lap dance in this scene"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I think it's really hard to depict future culture and music and fashion well. They either play it safe by having it some how closely mirror what's in style today, which results in those futures looking extremely dated. Or they come up with something actually legitimately different and weird because poo poo is 200 years in the future, and then viewers bitch about how the hair and fashion is so dumb and weird. Or they go the trek route and just pretend culture doesn't even exist.

I thought Hunger Games did a pretty good job of inventing a different and weird fashion sense that seems plausible.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lord Hydronium posted:

Did Trek ever show any kind of "modern" (again, for their time) entertainment?

The play Riker is acting in (in Frame of Mind) appears to not be an old play but something we can assume was relatively recent.

Doggles posted:

And don't forget Anbo-jyutsu, the ultimate evolution of the martial arts!®

I will never tire of this image.

Also there's that other Holodeck game that Picard and Guinan play.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

I know it was intentionally obscured, but part of me really wanted a concrete answer to what the gently caress that game was. Not just to cross ts and dot is, but we got just enough that I never figured out how the crumbs we knew connected together to form a game that folks regularly treated as dangerous.

Just picture it as Future Calvinball.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WickedHate posted:

I don't like the whole "fixing the mentally ill" thing.

As opposed to leaving them ill? In an ideal society, we should be able to fix the mentally ill, I don't see the issue.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WickedHate posted:

How can what Bashir's dad did be seen as anything other than the murder of a child and replacing him with a new one?

Oh, I didn't think we were talking about Bashir's augmenting, because that goes beyond "mentally ill" into full on physical issues with his mind not being developed enough.

If anything, Bashir had a "physical ailment."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yes, but autism has more downsides than "likes trains" and we want to cure those too. If curing the actual bad parts removes the train fascination, then I consider that a totally acceptable cost.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

a grimdark war story

Holy poo poo DS9 is like the tamest war story ever told, it's the furthest thing from grimdark.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah, and in the episode, anyone who legitimately cared about the sport would be rooting for the Vulcans.

Oh my god you couldn't miss the point harder. Your ability to wrongly interpret things is fascinating to me.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

By the way, she read that scene in episode 2 way wrong. Sure, Padme ends up with him but in that scene she is clearly disturbed, not turned on.

Also

Data Graham posted:

DS9 being compared evenly to Star Wars Ep II, reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

Eh, some of the Dominion war stuff actually is really dark in a kind of explicit way. Every single person who dies in "The Ship" dies for literally nothing, because the Vorta would have let Sisko take the ship and Sisko would have let the Vorta take the Founder. It's not even an ambiguous "was it really worth it?" kind of pointlessness, it's just a bunch of people who die for nothing.

I think some of the edge comes off of DS9 because of the 90s production value, but the show really did go to some pretty dark places. Not that that's a bad thing.

Kibayasu posted:

Grimdark means something different than just "dark." Or it did, at least.

Exactly. Warhammer 40k is grimdark. Star Trek Universe is the total opposite.

Oh no, how grimdark, energy weapons that kill instantly and draw no blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Neelix is so terrible. Everything about his character makes me question the writers, he is the Jar Jar Binks of Star Trek.

"Neelix is the key to all this. Cause he's a funnier character than we've ever had before." - something probably said in the Voyager's writers' room.