Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

AnxiousApatosaurus posted:

Re: post ST09 Romulan chat: I just watched TNG's Reunification the other night and given that Spock stays on Romulus to assist the movement and the next time we see him is ST09 where he is openly assisting the Romulan government with advanced Federation tech, did reunification succeed?

No but we do see in later episodes that his unification movement grows and spreads to the military so he was making progress. And in stories that came out before 09 the Romulan empire splits for a bit and one of the two factions is more open to the Federation, so he was kinda on the right track there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cojawfee posted:

The fact that they use telepathic and empathic aliens in an official capacity is such bullshit. They could just pretend you're lying and no one would know.

"I didn't do that thing you're accusing me of."
"He's lying, captain, I can sense it."
"Well that proves it, shoot him out the airlock."

EvilTaytoMan posted:

They actually addressed this... in Babylon 5.

They addressed it in TNG. In "The Drumhead" an investigator is using a telepath and using his word alone to harass some young crewman. When Picard gives them poo poo about it, the investigator notes that Picard uses Troi's abilities when he needs it and he admits that he really shouldn't and he needs to re-evaluate his own procedures.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Met posted:

They addressed it in TNG. In "The Drumhead" an investigator is using a telepath and using his word alone to harass some young crewman. When Picard gives them poo poo about it, the investigator notes that Picard uses Troi's abilities when he needs it and he admits that he really shouldn't and he needs to re-evaluate his own procedures.

Yet another reason The Drumhead is such an amazing episode. That and Measure of a Man are great examples of Federation ethics at their highest point.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

The fact that they use telepathic and empathic aliens in an official capacity is such bullshit. They could just pretend you're lying and no one would know.

"I didn't do that thing you're accusing me of."
"He's lying, captain, I can sense it."
"Well that proves it, shoot him out the airlock."

My favorite thing is the episode where Data gets kidnapped by the collector guy. Troi being able to tell that the dude is lying would instantly resolve the conflict, but she's not on the bridge at the time so I guess everyone just takes his word for it and accepts that Data is dead with absolutely zero foul play.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

My favorite thing is the episode where Data gets kidnapped by the collector guy. Troi being able to tell that the dude is lying would instantly resolve the conflict, but she's not on the bridge at the time so I guess everyone just takes his word for it and accepts that Data is dead with absolutely zero foul play.

Also, in the episode with the Pakled, Troi goes "Hey, I sense deception from them, we should probably be careful" and Riker goes :smug: "Pfffffffft, whatever. Send over our Chief Engineer."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

The Defiant isn't the fastest ship, it can only go Warp 9.5 (holy poo poo writers, a whole tenth of warp? Sure you don't want to bump it up to 9.55 so it doesn't lag too far behind the Enterprise? The loving war will be over by the time the Defiant shows up!).

The asymptotic warp scale is dumb as shiiiiiit

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

WampaLord posted:

Also, in the episode with the Pakled, Troi goes "Hey, I sense deception from them, we should probably be careful" and Riker goes :smug: "Pfffffffft, whatever. Send over our Chief Engineer."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tunicate posted:

The asymptotic warp scale is dumb as shiiiiiit

I've seen this said a lot in the thread and I don't get it? I like it because it prevents constant inflation. Rules are good because they give you a framework for different writers to say within.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

I've seen this said a lot in the thread and I don't get it? I like it because it prevents constant inflation. Rules are good because they give you a framework for different writers to say within.

Because there's still inflation, it's just doing warp 9.9 instead of warp 9.8, and 9.95 instead of 9.9

End result is you have a scale where even fewer numbers are used than videogame reviews do, and it becomes impossible to communicate the viewer any meaningful differences.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Because there's still inflation, it's just doing warp 9.9 instead of warp 9.8, and 9.95 instead of 9.9

End result is you have a scale where even fewer numbers are used than videogame reviews do.

Not sure how that's worse than warp 261341

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not saying that the asymptotic warp scale should be hauling garbage...

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The last episode of TAS has a ship going like warp 36 or something. It's dumb.

I watched all of TAS recently and I rather liked it. Most of the plots are no more absurd than many TOS episodes and when they're bad they're over in twenty-some minutes instead of 50. There's nothing as bad as The Alternative Factor, for instance.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Was the TOS warp scale squared or cubed? Like was warp 2 4 times the speed of light, or 8?

I do think this has the advantage of making things get hilariously, atrociously fast as you go higher, but also might raise some practical problems here and there. It might also require the occasional glance at practical limitations (like 'is the ship actually able to go fast enough to do what we want it to do').

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

cenotaph posted:

The last episode of TAS has a ship going like warp 36 or something. It's dumb.

To be fair that was in the anti-time negaverse where Benjamin Button came from.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I seem to recall Riker ordering the triple-nacelle Enterprise to do something like Warp 13 in All Good Things.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Zurui posted:

Yet another reason The Drumhead is such an amazing episode. That and Measure of a Man are great examples of Federation ethics at their highest point.

This is what's great about Star Trek, and TNG in particular. We can go on for dozens of pages about space battles, but the definitive episodes are just people arguing calmly talking around a table.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nessus posted:

Was the TOS warp scale squared or cubed? Like was warp 2 4 times the speed of light, or 8?

I do think this has the advantage of making things get hilariously, atrociously fast as you go higher, but also might raise some practical problems here and there. It might also require the occasional glance at practical limitations (like 'is the ship actually able to go fast enough to do what we want it to do').

The TOS scale was just a number. The TNG scale was set up with a 10 being unreachable and a log scale to prevent what happened with TOS where writers kept trying to one up warp factors. Some book or comic ones did Warp 35 or something stupid like that.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Cojawfee posted:

The TOS scale was just a number. The TNG scale was set up with a 10 being unreachable and a log scale to prevent what happened with TOS where writers kept trying to one up warp factors. Some book or comic ones did Warp 35 or something stupid like that.

The TOS scale was just cubed so warp 1 = 1c, warp 2 = 8c, warp 3 = 27c, etc. It's neat because it's already exponential. In the original series it takes alien supertech to go much over their emergency speed of Warp 8 and even then it's like 12 or 15*. Viewers can relate to a number like that. Unless you're into Trek you won't understand that Warp 9.5 is like, ten times faster than Warp 9.

Then "Threshold" happened.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I know WARP 9 ENGAGE!!!!!! is a Trek convention, but they'd have been better served by just using nautical conventions or reactor output percentages.

I don't know how fast Soviet Submarine goes, but in Hunt for Red October when the one dude says "go to 105% on the reactor" you know they're in a drat hurry.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

The new warp scale is stupid because it's the same formula (with a slightly bigger exponent) up until warp 9, and after that it's a hand-drawn asymptote to infinity at warp ten.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gau posted:

The TOS scale was just cubed so warp 1 = 1c, warp 2 = 8c, warp 3 = 27c, etc. It's neat because it's already exponential. In the original series it takes alien supertech to go much over their emergency speed of Warp 8 and even then it's like 12 or 15*. Viewers can relate to a number like that. Unless you're into Trek you won't understand that Warp 9.5 is like, ten times faster than Warp 9.

Then "Threshold" happened.

Here's the thing, no matter what the scale is, eventually the showrunners have to say "OK, guys, the upper limit is x" and you'll then get smartasses going to (x-1).9999. It's not the Warp 10 log scale that's the issue. 10 is a nice number to set as the limit.

Sash! posted:

I know WARP 9 ENGAGE!!!!!! is a Trek convention, but they'd have been better served by just using nautical conventions or reactor output percentages.

I don't know how fast Soviet Submarine goes, but in Hunt for Red October when the one dude says "go to 105% on the reactor" you know they're in a drat hurry.

Yes, and when Picard says "go to Rigel 14 at warp 7" then they get a distress call and he says "increase to warp 9.5" you get that he's saying "GO WAY FASTER". But if he said "increase to warp 2000" you've lost all sense of scale.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Yes, and when Picard says "go to Rigel 14 at warp 7" then they get a distress call and he says "increase to warp 9.5" you get that he's saying "GO WAY FASTER". But if he said "increase to warp 2000" you've lost all sense of scale.

And clearly there's a sense of huge changes in scale involved in going from warp 9.5 to warp 9.7!!!!!!!!!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tunicate posted:

And clearly there's a sense of huge changes in scale involved in going from warp 9.5 to warp 9.7!!!!!!!!!

My point is that saying the limit is warp 100 wouldn't 'fix' the problem. Just like scoring video game reviews out of 5 or 100 doesn't fix the issues of whether an 8.75 is an insult compared to a 9 because you'll just get people bitching about how GTA 7 got only a 92 or only a 4.2.

No matter what the limit is, you're gonna want the protagonists to be able to be near it.

The only way to avoid having writers giving numbers near the top of the scale is not to have numbers at all. Hell, even the 105% figure from Red October could easily fall victim to the same issue. Some writer thinking "my story is way more dire, they'll need to go to 110%"

Also, I'm fully self-aware of how stupid this argument is for multiple reasons. I'm not liable to convince anyone, I know, and in the grand scheme, it doesn't really matter what random numbers are used as long as the drama works.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

A similar but less-often-seen problem was starbase inflation. During the original series, it only went up to Starbase 12, I think. During TNG, after someone mentioned Starbase 718 in the first season, they decided that having that many starbases sounded dumb. So word came down that the writers should try to keep them under 500 or so. Which they mostly did, but not always.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Powered Descent posted:

A similar but less-often-seen problem was starbase inflation. During the original series, it only went up to Starbase 12, I think. During TNG, after someone mentioned Starbase 718 in the first season, they decided that having that many starbases sounded dumb. So word came down that the writers should try to keep them under 500 or so. Which they mostly did, but not always.
Well I doubt they were all the Yorktown. I imagine every Federation planet wanted a Starbase and a lot of them were probably the local equivalent of that Hierarchy starbase from Star Control II: It was literally just there for office space, shuttling dudes up from the planet, and gassing up random Starfleet or civilian ships.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't get why warp has a numerical speed gauge at all. Narratively, I mean. It just causes all these problems when you could just keep it ambiguous and say "max speed", or "we have to faster!"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FLY HER APART THEN!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Geordi hurriedly chucking more crystals into the Dilithium matrix with a neon plastic shovel.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

WickedHate posted:

I don't get why warp has a numerical speed gauge at all. Narratively, I mean. It just causes all these problems when you could just keep it ambiguous and say "max speed", or "we have to faster!"

Because its not a cartoon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gonz posted:

Geordi hurriedly chucking more crystals into the Dilithium matrix with a neon plastic shovel.

Someone draw this please

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bull3964 posted:

FLY HER APART THEN!

This, by the way, is how you show that a speed is REAL FAST. Have the characters react like it's insane to go that fast or that it's dangerous.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

WickedHate posted:

Because the writers aren't very good and use technobabble as a replacement for story.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I took a break from the thread when STB came out because I have a two year old so it takes me weeks to find time to see a movie in the theater. I binged TOS during some vacation time, finally saw STB (and loved it), and dove right into watching ENT today. A few observations from the premiere two-parter of ENT:

:sun: Dat theme song. In a word: fremdschämen. Or, in an emoticon: :yikes:

:shlick: It seemed like the longest scene was the gratuitous eye candy scene where Trip and T'Pol oil each other up in the decontamination chamber. I don't know if that's actually true, but that scene seemed to go on for a long time. Also: both of their junks got totally contaminated. Just saying.

:science: Phlox is the poo poo and I want more of this character. I'm partial to Trek doctors, since Bones and VOY's The Doctor are two of my favorite Trek characters. Bashir isn't half bad, either. I even tried to like Bev Crusher, for what little they did with her. Phlox is going places. I can feel it. :thumbsup:

:black101: I love that there's no shields and other low-tech garbage everywhere, although I know that won't last because I've been reading the Trek threads for long enough. I kind of wish they did even more with it, like having the ships using slug weapons now and then.

:glomp: I wanted to hate Trip, but I found myself liking him as part of the triumvirate of Archer/T'Pol/Trip. A similar trio was the core of TOS, and if ENT can keep it up, it'll at least have that to fall back on.

By god, I'm looking forward to the rest of ENT!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Who says starbases are numbered sequentially? Maybe the first ones were, but eventually they came up with more of an address system that defines space into sectors or what ever. So the 5th starbase in sector 10 would be sector 1005. There aren't 200 apartments on my floor, the 200 is for the 2nd floor.

/\ Yeah the tech in enterprise functions exactly the same as the tech in TNG or any other trek, they just did a find/replace in the script. "no no, they don't have shields, they have uh, charged hull plating. Write it exactly the same though"

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Baronjutter posted:

Who says starbases are numbered sequentially? Maybe the first ones were, but eventually they came up with more of an address system that defines space into sectors or what ever. So the 5th starbase in sector 10 would be sector 1005. There aren't 200 apartments on my floor, the 200 is for the 2nd floor.

This was always my assumption except with some sort of coding. Like, 4000-series starbases are space-based refit facilities or somesuch.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's apparently over 150 official member worlds, and that's probably only including homeworlds as I'm sure most members also have dozens or more colonies. Each one probably has some minor starbase of some sort, plus all sorts of other stations all throughout federation space for various purposes. I could see them easily having 1000+ bases, specially since a "starbase" seems to include both surface facilities, orbitals, and deep space platforms.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also it's probably standard procedure to use serial numbers that avoid the german tank problem.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I don't have the time to post a bit-by-bit breakdown of some of the stuff that's come out during discovery in the Axanar lawsuit, but the long story short is that the director of Prelude to Axanar has said, under oath, that Alec Peters developed Axanar as a spec project, that he believed that crowdfunding the fan-film would make CBS and Paramount bring him to the table, and his idea was that they'd buy it from him and he'd be one of the chiefs of Trek's creative future (and Tony Todd says that he was led to believe that Axanar was an officially licensed project). After they told him to pound sand, he started throwing his tantrums, doing profit-making ventures, all that poo poo.

What a piece of crap.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timby posted:

I don't have the time to post a bit-by-bit breakdown of some of the stuff that's come out during discovery in the Axanar lawsuit, but the long story short is that the director of Prelude to Axanar has said, under oath, that Alec Peters developed Axanar as a spec project, that he believed that crowdfunding the fan-film would make CBS and Paramount bring him to the table, and his idea was that they'd buy it from him and he'd be one of the chiefs of Trek's creative future (and Tony Todd says that he was led to believe that Axanar was an officially licensed project). After they told him to pound sand, he started throwing his tantrums, doing profit-making ventures, all that poo poo.

What a piece of crap.

:allears: This has been such a good day.

I mean, aside from the fact that he torpedoed all other fan productions. That's still lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Timby posted:

What a piece of crap.

Isn't this basically the Dominion War plot except fought over an executive table? Who's Sisko here? Who's Odo?