Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

SlothfulCobra posted:

Bold of you to assume that the collective consciousness is actually smart or adept at things other than technology. The whole brutalism of the cube seems to imply a whole lack of consideration for even the barest of aesthetics or anything that would begin to be part of considering what they seem like from the outside.

They don't really seem to really understand or respect forms of life outside of the collective, and they are vaguely offended by resistance or continued separation. It's like those times Starfleet discovers that the rocks they're mining were actually sentient beings, except instead of backing off, the Borg would just get a bigger drill. Some things are lost in the process of assimilation and the Borg become less than the sum of their parts. I can't really say for sure because maybe the original Borg species was just the most artless and antisocial creatures that ever lived, but it sure doesn't seem like they have everything that you would get from a massive collection of people, especially the types of people that we know have been assimilated by the Borg.

Which I think is pretty realistic for organizational systems and technologies, although there is a tendency for a lot of sci-fi writers and fans to elide that sort of thing in the name of the purity of exploring philosophy or concepts without the limits of a physical or social world.

Guinan does say that it was possible for humans to evolve to the point where peace with the Borg was something that could happen. That statement implies that the issue with the Borg isn't that they're beyond diplomacy, its that they don't see any normal species as meriting diplomacy because they're so far beneath them

Its why I always liked this line from the Q Jr. episode of Voyager, when Q scolds his son in a Very Serious Voice to not provoke the Borg. Yeah, it doesn't really make much sense that the Q of all beings would have anything to fear from them, and Q himself provoked the Borg to kick off their storyline (foreshadowing indicative that they were already coming aside). But it does create an implication that there's more to them and their Collective than the corporeal threat of Big Ships and Robot Bodies, and that only a higher form of being like the Q can treat with them in the way the Federation might treat with the Romulans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Sash! posted:

I would exterminate the Borg with the same care I'd give to a bunch of termites.

I would not exterminate the Founders because I'm concerned how many peer states may view it, but I would not have interfered with existing Federation operations to exterminate the Founders.

Sisko was wrong to trick the Romulans by murdering their diplomat after attempting to feed them falsified data.

The Federation should have killed every Jem'Hadar that assisted in retaking that magic portal from the other Jem'Hadar, then used it exactly like the rogue Jem'Hadar were doing.

Colonel West was right.

I didn't know Henry Kissinger had an SA account.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Tighclops posted:

Most everyone that thinks this way dies in world war III and the Vulcans uplift the survivors leaving only small and disparate groups of assholes and lovely admirals within the federation and Starfleet

This reminds me about how Riker says there are 600 million dead after WW3, and how low that always seemed to me for a global nuclear super-conflict. Not that its not a lot, but still, I would think it'd have been higher.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Sash! posted:

Given how many of those people are in the positions of power inside the Federation itself, seems like plenty of us survived.

Probably because we're the grim underbelly of human nature that you can't get rid of because we're ultimately a species of predators, no matter how much jazz you try to play on a luxury liner in space.

Guess its a good thing the protagonists generally make their living stopping you then.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I like the read on the episode. But I do think its maybe being a little bit hard of Dr. Crusher to say that her concern that Picard might go through some actual change to his personality and capabilities due to a radical change to the physical and chemical biology of his brain is pulled out of her rear end.

If I remember right Picard tries to resume command almost immediately after the accident, and the way the kid actor plays it he's radiating insecurity and its pretty clear he's trying this specifically because he's afraid to lose all the things he worked for because this accident happened to him. His judgment is clouded and the medical concern that this change might have bigger repercussions than are immediately apparent is I think reasonable. The parallelism to the changes an adult pregnant woman vs a non-pregnant woman would go through vs a brain de-aging to pre-puberty development isn't really a fair one imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Powered Descent posted:

YO, I HAVE A REALLY COOL SCI-FI CONCEPT but unfortunately I AM ALSO INCLUDING ALL OF MY CREEPY-rear end FETISHES IN THE NARRATIVE

Just wait until you see a Scifi ANIME