Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Astroman posted:

It was a great example of that thing with heroes--and would have worked far better if we hadn't seen the guy as an "old" man 200 years later, acting totally different.

Nobody undergoes character growth in fiction, especially not given 200 years to do it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I threw up the first time I saw Generations. It wasn't because of the movie, but it probably didn't help.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Timby posted:

I'm willing to overlook some of the cringe-worthy parts of The Final Frontier (but there aren't many) considering David Loughery had less than a month to write the script.

I watched Final Frontier for the first time a few days ago and I figured there had to be some kind of drama about the writing. If they cut out all the crappy action sequences and the utterly pointless Klingons they could have had space to explore the emotional stuff more. Address that there is good pain that you need to hold on to because it defines us(what Kirk mentions) and bad pain that you need to let go of because we just beat ourselves up over it (McCoy) and then tie that into the fact that paradise is something we sell ourselves on to avoid dealing with our poo poo but it's the opposite of what we need and a child's fantasy. But no, we need a cat lady being thrown into water on planet Mad Max.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

That ship is hideous and the music is ridiculous.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Watching those smug pricks get owned is great.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

skasion posted:

This is a weird consequence of how the movies are marketed: basically the producers are worried that if teens and twentysomethings can't relate to the characters, no one will watch the movie (which is probably true enough). Which is why Quinto still plays Spock like a manchild despite being older than Nimoy was when he played the character for the first time.

There's been a shift in culture where people treat you like a child until you're like 50 or something. I don't think people would buy 20somethings acting with even a hint of gravitas these days, which upsets me.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Gates McFadden taught an acting class for film majors at my college.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Nemesis was so bad I'm still angry about it and it was the first of three consecutive wrath of khan ripoffs where the enterprise fights a big black ship.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Picard's character in First Contact is fine. The source of his worst experience comes right back and starts kicking his rear end. You never really get over that kind of trauma and it's human to react the way he did.

Nobody ever complains about how Kira should have been over her hatred for Cardassians after Duet. They keep going back to the well of her trauma and hatred through the whole series.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Tighclops posted:

First Contact catches a lot of poo poo for things that Insurrection and Nemesis did, namely to try to continue that formula over and over again and each time the story was too weak to carry it. In the last film, Picard had lost his previous long-time command and gotten his rear end kicked so hard in a fight he had to go back and get Shatner to help him. Now here come the Borg again ready to rape and pillage and so yeah, I can easily buy action hero Picard in that context

But by the time you get to Nemesis they've got him freezing up at the end after resolving to beam over on his own(?!) just because the story says Data has to sacrifice himself because that's what made Wrath of Khan good, right guys? Just that one bit?

Yeah, I can see how the other movies would color perceptions. In isolation I have no problem with it.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm not sure why they wouldn't just use those cool Andorian prosthetics from Enterprise unless Paramount chucked them all in the garbage

Studios don't leave stuff lying around for a decade or more on the off chance they might need it. That stuff was either binned or put up for auction.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Shows what I know. Although trek has a history of prop auctions. And paramount isn't involved in the new show.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm fairly new to the thread, does anyone have any other old titles? I started reading because of how good the current one is

For future readers: Star Trek: A particularly erotic chapter in my grandmother's journal

Tasha Yar killed by BP oil spill was pretty good.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

She also once said you don't want someone in a catsuit padding around in flats so she has an opinion on it.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I don't like the concept of wearing heels and don't understand the appeal of seeing others in heels.

Yeah, me neither.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The only Star Trek books I ever read was the one where Worf is at the academy and some of the James Blish TOS adaptations. I think I was like 10. I read the short story version of Balance of Terror before I ever got to see the episode.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I always assumed they were the minivan-esque shuttles because the image is pretty hilarious.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The last episode of TAS has a ship going like warp 36 or something. It's dumb.

I watched all of TAS recently and I rather liked it. Most of the plots are no more absurd than many TOS episodes and when they're bad they're over in twenty-some minutes instead of 50. There's nothing as bad as The Alternative Factor, for instance.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Sash! posted:

I know WARP 9 ENGAGE!!!!!! is a Trek convention, but they'd have been better served by just using nautical conventions or reactor output percentages.

I don't know how fast Soviet Submarine goes, but in Hunt for Red October when the one dude says "go to 105% on the reactor" you know they're in a drat hurry.

This is the best solution. Plot a course to the Neutral Zone, maximum warp! It always has a better ring than random numbers.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Nessus posted:

Buck Bokai was probably a Japanese Augment

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see him sock a few dingers?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

"We've digitally mapped the brains of all the players in this game for use in holodeck simulations. Let's see what happens when we arbitrarily change setting conditions..."

First you tweak historical games so that referees make the "right" calls. A few iterations later, Breaking Madden gets a lot more real and much scarier. A few iterations after that, we've inserted all the players' brains into orangutan bodies. Let's see what happens next!

An Air Bud holoprogram?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The eugenics wars and WW3 were probably more believable when they were written.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The worst thing about DS9 is that by the end this massive interstellar war is being run by like three or four people in a couple of little rooms. It just starts to feel kind of cheap.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Trent posted:

Yeah, a little bit this. I guess DS9 became sort of the front line, but one Admiral and a captain being in charge of what feels like everything seemed far too contrived. Then again, the station crew also being the Defiant crew was contrived as gently caress, but I love the Defiant, so whatever

The redressed walk-in closet the Dominion was running their campaign from bothered me more.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah, I know it's a budget thing which is why I mostly ignore it (and the story is good). But compared to All Good Things which had all the new future stuff and location shots in the vineyard, etc. the late Dominion war stuff feels like a string of bottle episodes in a lot of ways. It also somehow reminds me of how small and cheap a lot of Voyager episodes felt and we all know that Voyager ruins everything.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

TAS is really sweet in an insane sort of way. Uhura gets some more characterization, developing a really take-charge attitude.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Anything with the andorians is decent.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

He does have true believers, though.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

It's the worst in terms of offensiveness but The Alternative Factor is the worst written episode of Trek. The pacing is just so awful. It's got about 10 minutes of plot.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Assignment Earth.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Tattoo is also pretty bad, even more so once you know about the Jamake Highwater poo poo.

Do these episodes have shots of a man holding his head for what seems like five minutes at a time? No.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The Dark One posted:

Here are some very excellent, correct opinions about The Voyager Home:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/20/star-trek-iv-voyage-home-leonard-nimoy

Good article

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Also, "Who Watches the Watchers" IMHO.

At least one of those people eating up Picard's "it will be more rewarding if you figure it out yourself" horseshit probably died in agony from an easily curable disease.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Star Trek was so big in the 90s that around Christmas a Star Trek merchandise shop would appear in my local mall along with the calendar shops. They had some of the same toys that the toy store had but also more expensive stuff. I remember a wooden bat'leth hanging on the wall.

I was born in 84 but my mother had me watching ST from before I can remember. I was upset when TNG went off the air. I had mixed feelings about DS9 because I liked the characters but disliked the lack of a starship. As DS9 went on it got better and divorced itself from the TNG style episodes I grew to like it more. I was pissed at the second or third episode of voyager being a dumb space anomaly episode. I got really angry that the show that promised us lots of never before seen stuff went right back to making shows that could have just as easily been in TNG. I watched it grudgingly waiting for it to get better but I gave up on it after a couple of seasons. I found Enterprise laughably dumb and didn't want to go through the voyager experience again, but my college roommate and I watched the later seasons when he would come back from class and I liked them enough to watch most of it when it came out on streaming. It's still not very good.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Apollodorus posted:

That's in Waltz. Duet is where Kira learns not to hate spoonheads any more.

Until the next time the writers need her to hate them.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Reginald Barclay, the perfect representation of the average federation citizen.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Nessus posted:

He does not DUMP, he does not BLOW rear end, he does not DROP THE PAKLEDS OFF AT THE POOL, he does - not - have - a digestive tract!

To become a thing is to know a thing. To assume its form is to begin to understand its existence. 💩

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The Dark One posted:

I literally didn't realize that Bashir was an Arabic name when I watched the show as a kid. All I noticed was the British accent.
Same here

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The reason who watches the watchers is bad is because everyone unrealistically agrees with Picard's patronizing (you could argue paternalistic) argument that it's better for the aliens to discover things by themselves. Nobody points out that they just condemned millions of people over generations to suffer and die from preventable ailments because of ideology. The main dude's wife died in a flood and they can't even teach them how to build a dike because someone might use it to do something bad somehow.

The fact that the federation is perfectly happy to sit around spying on the suffering people for academic purposes just makes the whole thing even worse.

I'd love to see a sci-fi show that specifically rejects a lot of star trek trappings and it's about a society with various transhuman technologies that makes it their mission to go around do humanitarian stuff for less technologically advanced cultures

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Those are all really complex issues but the episode in question is bad because nobody on the planet expresses a dissenting opinion after Picard says his bit. Everyone just agrees that it will be more fulfilling to watch their children die from a fever than ask the spacemen to help. I think it would have been a great episode if at least some of the aliens were left with real anger at the federation and if the episode ended with the crew stewing over the consequences of their actions and having feelings of doubt and guilt.

Personally I think the ethical issues of inaction are equal to the ethical issues of action, at least as star trek posits them. The fact that they often veer into a near-religious natural progression/destiny argument with the prime directive makes the argument for it weaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

When did Romulans get their really pronounced forehead ridges? I guess TNG. I really prefer them looking much closer to Vulcans.

Really though I just prefer this:

Also I'm really a sucker for any scify that has decent skylines/landscapes/MAGNIFICENT CITIES. I'm enjoying this romulan drone episode just because they went to the trouble of having a nice little romulan skyline out the window. It's so rare to get big open shots in scify, it's always cramped ships or stations or cave planets. I understand the budget/effects/sets reasons but drat give me some big public squares in some futuristic mega city once in a while, or more establishing shots and windows with cool views.

I really wish they would let Vulcan and Romulan women have long hair again. T'Pol looked so much better with the long hair in the mirror episode. And I don't mean more attractive, I mean not dopey.