Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gorewar posted:

I wonder what the wow.wad of holodeck programs would look like. I hope they get into this in a future series.

Oh, I'm sure they'll show them in Discovery, because gently caress canon and they'll just have more advanced tech than TNG 100 years later. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

:wtc:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The one guy in the front row with the black curly hair and Starfleet sideburns looks like he's Shatner's stunt double. Then I seen Cheap Ears Vulcan, a black lady up front, an Asian guy in the second row, and white guy way in the back with a mustache like Scotty and I'm thinking poo poo, maybe it IS all the stunt doubles!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Baka-nin posted:

I finished watching the Animated Series, and I really like it. I first saw a couple episodes on Saturday morning as a young child. Shortly after seeing a few episodes of TOS. It was very weird for a child, that and the cheapness of the show, (a couple of times they cropped out the speaking characters mouth with a ridiculously close, close up) I can see why ratings were poor when it first aired.

I will give filmation some credit, while the crew move really poorly, the aliens got a lot more fluid animation work that didn't clash with their freakish non-humanoid designs, well usually. Some of the stories deserved their reputation for weird campy nonsense, like the one with a giant Spock clone, and of course the one where Kirk and crew hang out with the devil (though I really do like the Devil in that episode). And Uhura and Nurse Chapel got a lot more to do. Overall I think its a shame its second series was cut down to six episodes.

Oh and one of the episodes is called Jihad and its about trying to prevent a race of birds from starting a holy war. Nothing much to add to that, it just made me smile.

One of the great things about TAS that often gets overlooked is how it was such a direct continuation of TOS. The opening credits, the voice actors, the writers--it was one of the most straightforward cartoon adaptations of an existing property wtihout jazzing it up or rebooting it. I appreciated that. It's the closest we have to a TOS S4 (besides Star Trek Continues).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Dario the Wop posted:

Indeed!

BTW Sarcastic Native American Guy is actually a woman. Her name is Spring Rain on Still Water. Do what you will with this info. :)

I know what I'm doing--shipping her with Sulu's stunt double! :quagmire:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

From a couple pages, back:

"Write NOW! Write NBC!!!!!!!!!!!! Write ABC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T BOTHER WITH CBS!"

:laugh:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I celebrated the 50th by doing something I couldn't do during the previous anniversaries--watch a brand new episode of TOS with Star Trek Continue's "Embracing The Winds."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMasSzFXaKQ

Another solidly written and performed story by the best of the fan film series. It's a great modernization of the central issue of "Turnabout Intruder"--Starfleet won't let women command starships. This was something which as an issue seemed embarassingly outdated by the 70s and was an awkward final episode for the series. In universe we saw a female captain in Star Trek IV, several in TNG, then we had Voyager of course. And the whole thing was rendered even dumber when the captain of the NX-01 was female in the prequel. So how do you retcon that, and somehow logically explain why in the 23rd century a woman's place isn't commanding a starship?

They do it quite cleverly and address it in a modern way. They continue to advance the story and the characters--their stated goal was to tell the stories of season 4 and 5 and lead up to TMP. Chris Doohan is particularly great channeling his father's Scotty. It doesn't reach the heights of some of their other episodes like "Lolani" but it's still better than a lot of S3 TOS episodes. They say they're going to finish out the next few stories, but if the new fan film guidelines mean this is their swan song, it's a lot better than "Turnabout Intruder"--and fitting since their first vignette was an immediate followup to the ending seconds of that episode.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Oh yeah, I forgot the computer voice. That was loving ACES!!

Like I said, it's not their strongest episode. It's a bit heavy handed, but so was TOS, and they are trying for some authentic 1969 Star Trek verisimilitude.

I think some of the incompleteness of the story is because stuff like The Hood is going to be addressed in future episodes. There's definitely some arc stuff going on with this show. Not sure about the Nimbus III incident, but I think it may just be there to show what are janky officer Garrett was, and could be filed under "there's a bunch of adventures other starships have too that we never saw on screen." All we need to know is something bad happened and this officer is very evasive, and her evasiveness immediately took Kirk aback--saying "I don't want to talk about it" is not Something Starship Captains Do and a huge red flag.

If you thought this episode was good, watch "Lolani." It's one of the best ST stories in any medium.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, it really bugged me that they left so much unresolved. From the way Garrett was acting, she almost seemed suspicious.

Maybe I just blocked the Turnabout Intruder out of my head, but there aren't any female captains by Kirk's time? Really? I pretty much assumed there would be. Women are captains and admirals in the TNG era all the time and it's no big deal. Is there some throwaway line in that episode that says there aren't any?

The standard retcon for Turnabout Intruder, which allows for Captain Hernandez of Archer's time and is corroborated in Embracing the Winds is that there are no female captains of Constitution Class Starships. There were only 12, so it's not a stretch.

It's like saying the US Navy doesn't allow female captains of aircraft carriers because there are none (are there? I have no idea) but there could be dozens of captains of smaller ships.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Timby posted:

Actually, both the supporting cast as well as the guest stars were / have always been quite vocal about how Nimoy was constantly fighting to get them more screen time and dialogue. It was Shatner who was rather infamous for saying things like, "So and so doesn't need to say that line, it's totally extraneous" (although he mellowed out more when it came time to do the movies; I guess living in a trailer park for the better part of the '70s taught him some humility).

Trailer park? poo poo, at one point the Shat was living in his car!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Duckbag posted:

Whitney was originally signed on as a star rather than a featured player, but her role kept getting reduced in rewrites until, in some episodes, she no longer appeared at all. A Desilu executive took advantage of this fact and told her that he thought her role, and her romance with Kirk, were important to the show and he wanted to talk to her about expanding it. He then invited her for drinks and flirted with her before sexually assaulting her. A week later, she learned that her role wasn't being expanded, but rather that she was to be fired, supposedly so that Kirk could have romances with guest stars without "cheating" on her. Whether the decision to fire her occurred before or after her assault isn't clear, but it's quite clear that the executive used the role's importance to her to prey on her. Whitney, a conservative christian from a different era, blamed herself and her alcoholism (which only got worse after her firing) for the incident and didn't go public with the story until she wrote a book years later and never named the man who preyed on her.

While her role being reduced for that reason (Kirk romancing the alien of the week) is pretty lovely especially if she was hired as a lead, the show and Starfleet would be very different if the Captain could just date subordinate crewmen without consequence. Though the network suits didn't care much about workplace boundaries and military discipline per se, it was probably a good move ultimately.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have not heard this before about her being signed as a 'star'. Has anyone corroborated this?

The only thing I can think of that corroborates this are the early promo pics of her, Kirk, and Spock. If you go by those, she was clearly set to be a prominent, probably romantic lead as par the course in shows of the time.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

As much as people want to dog TOS and Gene for not being feminist enough even for the 60s, let's not forget the entire premise of the show is that the Enterprise is crewed by 1/3 females, including numerous female officers like Uhura. They served side by side with and outranked some of the men, in a time where the US armed forces were completely segregated.

It's hard to realize that today when things are fairly integrated, but imagine you're a guy watching the show who fought in Korea or WWII and you see this military style ship where they are out "to sea" (in space) for months at a time with women just there on board. They aren't separated onto quarters on their own floors, they don't have some sort of separate but equal WASP/WAVE command structure, they aren't just nurses or support staff--they are scientists, ops officers, etc. It's be so foreign, so outlandish. Imagine you were a young girl seeing this, when all the women you see who work are secretaries, nurses, or teachers.

That was HUGE for the time.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

WickedHate posted:

Like how Gene spun trying to get his mistress a starring role as him him wanting a female second officer and the sexist network shut him down, this was just an excuse to have a bunch of space bunnies in micro skirts as a constant presence in the setting.

That doesn't devalue the effort in other places and how it did end up having tons of positive social connotations, but let's keep things in perspective here.

Name me one other military show, scifi or otherwise, pre 1966 that had women in equal roles as enlisted and officers with the men. Maybe I'm wrong and Star Trek was just horribly regressive and the women were all useless eye candy portrayed as having no intelligence, but that's never been my perspective. I'm not saying the women in the show are as shown as competent and equal as women today, but you can't just dismiss it entirely.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

showbiz_liz posted:

Actually you know what, gently caress it, they should just lean into the whole 'no budget' thing and slavishly imitate the original show aesthetic, like to the point of making all the rocks out of expanding foam.

To be fair, this is what a lot of the fan films were doing, and they showed you could pull off a period accurate show to TOS with the same sets, costumes, lighting, props, sound effects, music, and visual effects on a shoestring budget thanks to modern consumer technology. It would be cheap as hell to do a "modern" pre-TOS show that was authentic, though it would tank in the ratings because nobody would watch it besides King Nerds (of which I am one).

That said, the $5M per episode figure for Enterprise being thrown around is probably not equal to what you could do on today's visual effects budgets. They've come a long way and are a lot cheaper. You could probably make Enterprise today for a lot less. Also if they don't get a big name like Bakula, they will save somewhat on actor salaries.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Knormal posted:

I'm so happy to see McCoy's disco medallion crosses over into the real world too, albeit not as majestic.

Also, Walter Koeing is not impressed.

Also Takei once again shows whether he's in the 1970s or the 23rd century, he will always be the best dressed. Tuck in that collar and you could wear that outfit today and look awesome. :colbert:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just noticed something I'd never seen in that photo before; bearded James Doohan wearing what appears to be a Hawaiian shirt. :stare:

ed: holy poo poo, it is. I'd love to see this in color

A color photo could not contain that level of 70s!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gonz posted:

But there's no such thing as Shuttlebay Two!

MADNESS.

Shuttlebay Two is where they keep the 85 other shuttlecraft they burn through over the course of the show. :smug:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Then even more obsolete next year too...

I'm surprised they're doing another one...I still have my hardcover copy of the Revised and Expanded version

I pretty much stopped buying Technical Manuals and Encyclopedias for Star Trek when The Internet started having all that poo poo better, for free, and constantly updated. :shrug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

I liked the TNG technical manual and all those derpy Starfleet ships in uh... Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise or something?

The FASA Star Trek TNG Technical Manual that came out during the first season or so had wildly innacurate, non-canon information (in retrospect, at the time who knew?) but it had some cool ship designs that never appeared elsewhere.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It really was a long road. :allears:

Downhill. :(

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

I especially love it when his art is borderline surreal and quasi-retro. I love it when his art gets extremely alien and weird.

A lot of his designs have made it into film and TV (Blade Runner, Aliens, Tron, Turn A Gundam, etc.) but his landscapes and architecture are what really grab me in how unusual they are. You didn't see that kind of stuff in film often because during his heyday, you needed to rely on sets and matte paintings.

His drawings are the future I want to live in.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Duckbag posted:

I have been enjoying it (although I suspect that has a lot to do with the simple joy of having new Star Trek stories to read), but I wish the author would focus a bit more on simple characterization and story-telling and a bit less on making fannish references and subverting Trek conventions.

He kinda lost me when the Captain is casually having an affair with the first officer. The gay stuff was like, whatever, but even Kirk didn't casually gently caress his subordinates (except in the Mirror Universe).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Anyone who is in command of a ship can be called Captain.

Yep, this is true in just about any navy, even the US navy currently. Like you can be a Commander in rank, but the the Captain of a sub or something.

Basically there's a rank structure which goes Lt, Lt Commander, Commander, Captain, Commodore, Admiral.

But there's a title of Captain given to the leader of the ship.

So all ship's commanding officers are Captains, but not of them are Captains in rank. And not all Captains in rank are the commander of a ship, as that's a rank equivalent to Colonel and you can be a paper pusher in HQ and be a Captain without a ship.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

So is this what it was like for the TOS people right before TNG came out? "I was there for the good Star Trek, man."

I was young, but I'd had a couple years of ST fandom under my belt, read a ton of novels, had the Franz Joseph Technical Manual (1st edition hardcover :smug: ).

I was very skeptical but also excited. I didn't see us getting more than a couple years out of the new show.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Duckbag posted:

Also, there's a CD Trek thread? Why?

Who knows? They're Not Our People, dear.

:colbert:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

After The War posted:

That's it! I'm done with you guys' bad opinions! I just got me some vintage bad opinions!

Hopefully I can find something as gloriously terrible as "Indiana Skywalker Meets the Son of Star Trek" from my Best of the Best of Trek collection. If you don't know that one, it was a post-WoK essay about how terrible that movie was, how incompatible it was with the utopian ideals of the series, how it was all spectacle threatening to turn Star Trek into something as dumb and violent as Star Wars, and heaping praise upon TMP. If I can find the full text online, I'll post a link.

Oh those are awesome, I had a bunch of those books! A great glimpse into pre-TNG Star Trek fandom!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

When I grew up, I saw LeVar like this:

(as Kunta Kinte in Roots)

:eng101: Toby

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

mossyfisk posted:

Do they ever come to an agreement about whether the Enterprise is a 'Federation' starship, or part of the United Earth Space Probe Fleet? It seems to change every episode. Hell, one time McCoy seemed to suggest that Earth had conquered Vulcan.

I think in the beginning the intention was absolutely it was an Earth Human Starship, and the Federation was started by Earth, and the other worlds joined later. It was only after awhile that they started putting in the references to the idea that other worlds founded the Federation.

I could be wrong, I'd have to watch the first few episodes to be sure, but they made a lot of hay about how alien and different Spock was ("Ah yes, one of your Earth Emotions!") which would be a bit odd if humans and Vulcans had been besties for 150 years.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

bull3964 posted:

It's also this newfangled thing called hyperbole. This is one of the rare instances where continuity makes sense. Enterprise had Earth under guidance of Vulcan when Earth actually founded the Federation and Vulcan joined. Thus, they were 'conquered' because they weren't the authority calling the shots anymore.

Well yeah, if you retcon everything especially Enterprise in. But we're talking about what Roddenberry and the early series writers were intending in S1.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Pwnstar posted:

Just watched the one where Data tries to learn comedy. I don't know why they didn't teach him about the double act or something since he'd actually be good at that instead of whatever the gently caress that very unfunny holo-dude was teaching him.

...and that unfunny holo-dude...was Albert Einstein Joe Piscopo. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

The Space Hippy ep is on BBCA now.

Man, this is bad.

Spock now jamming with the chick playing the deformed bicycle wheel.

Look at this Herbert. :rolleyes:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

skasion posted:

They pushed back the premiere to May because the production isn't starting until next month.

Also they apparently still haven't cast it yet. :psyduck:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Well they were only assholes in the sense that they were trying to survive on a new colony and their rear end in a top hat mad scientist neighbor (descended from a guy who played with the babies of genetic war criminals) was Frankensteining it up down the street....

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

WickedHate posted:

TOS wouldn't be nearly the hit it was without Spock there, either. He was pretty much the star, which bit Shatner bad.

Spock was one of those breakout characters the people who created the show never expected. Back in the 60s he hit a zeitgeist with teen girls who normally wouldn't even watch scifi and arguably helped mainstream the show and made it incredibly popular. Of course, the nominal lead wasn't expecting this either and was understandably upset/mystified.

Same thing happened with Illya Kuryakin in The Man from UNCLE and Barnabas in Dark Shadows. They were both in the same vein as Spock--mysterious, non traditional leads who were not cool, conventionally handsome, weren't expected to get the girl (and often didn't), and were out of place in their environment and tortured emotionally in some way (less so with Illya who was pretty upbeat generally). Teen girls didn't traditionally watch Spy Thrillers or soap operas that were marketed towards housewives, but that changed because of those characters, just like Star Trek. Illya and Barnabas weren't intended to be the leads, and even more so than Spock they weren't intended to be permanent characters and were only given prominence after a shitload of fan mail.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Phimosissy posted:

LOL @ http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/

Stream every episode of Trek EVER!

you must scroll offscreen to find Enterprise

they use a picture of the NCC-1701 instead of NX-01

:iceburn:

Clearly they have great respect for prequel shows, and

:v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Knormal posted:

No, us grognards know it should have looked like a Daedalus.

My main problem with the NX-01 is that it seems too spindly for a small early ship. I'm fine with narrow nacelle struts because that's par for the course, but the two bits of ship leading back to the nacelles are what, like one deck high? In a time without shields and presumably weaker materials you'd think you'd want to minimize weak points. If the nacelle struts came right from the saucer or it was just overall chunkier I think it would look better for the time period.

But really it should just be a Daedalus.

It amazes me that nobody in the entire history of 5 shows and over a dozen movies has had the balls to actually show a Daedalus on screen, in canon (NOT a model). :mad:

Enterprise had a goddamn EPISODE called Daedalus and IT WASN'T loving ABOUT A SHIP. Cockteases!

Maybe Discovery wi---AHAHAHAHAHHAAHA no who am I kidding. :suicide:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Wasn't there one in All Good Things?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

This is gonna kill any chance we have of a Star Trek tv show for 10-15 years. I'd rather them not have bothered, if they were going to do it half rear end. So disappointed.

I bet it doesn't even get renewed for a second season. :(

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I imagine he'll be about as involved as Martin Scorsese was on Boardwalk Empire after doing the pilot, or a guy like Spielberg on any vanity tv project with his name attached.

Losing a showrunner at any point in a series is often a bad thing; losing them before it even starts is a disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Dirty posted:

I get that the news coming out isn't exactly encouraging, but right now, we still really don't know what this will turn out like. It's anywhere on the spectrum of really good to really awful. Not sure I see the point of writing it off before a single frame has been filmed.

True, I suppose we should wait to even see if a single frame will ever be filmed. :v: