Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The_Doctor posted:

They're friends! They're like a pair of curmudgeonly old guys who hate eachother but wouldn't want to see anything happen to the other. They both love the game of cat and mouse they're always playing.

That's....very, very gay. I approve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ferengi completely gently caress the idea we have to give up greed if we're to ever prosper and trek through the stars, and yet they were Gene's original idea.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

showbiz_liz posted:

Profit and Lace is made 1000% worse by the fact that Quark is shown at the end of the episode to have learned absolutely zero from the experience. And I may be misremembering but I don't think he ever displayed quite the level of rapeiness in any other episode as he did in that one.

Well, it's in the contracts that he can molest the dabo girls.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

Those who had been reading 50 year journey, did you get any info why Nemesis was such a poo poo show? I feel at its core was a fundamental misunderstanding of what people like about trek.

The director didn't know poo poo about Trek and constantly ignored people trying to nudge him in the right direction. That's probably not the only reason, but a fairly big one.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

I haven't read the book but my understanding is the writer was a friend of Stewart and Spiner and wrote them a bunch of stuff, including the dune buggy thing just because Stewart wanted to drive cause he likes driving.

Same with Pertwee when he was the Doctor and that was one of Doctor Who's best eras.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timby posted:

why you don't let "fans" write.

I don't follow, that seems like the opposite problem Nemesis had.

Like I don't need everyone involved to have encyclopedic knowledge of every episode but like, Nemesis needed a writer and a director who at least on some level gave a poo poo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Some of us aren't the kind of nerd that hordes 500$ dollar statues.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Railing Kill posted:

The pronunciation more than anything else proves that he's full of poo poo and didn't watch the show. It would be one less thing to complain about if he just owned-up and admitted he didn't know or care anything about the source material.

Didn't he like, push for it to get made though? Maybe he thought attaching himself to the property would revive his career.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The problem with the Fire Nation casting wasn't that it went from Japan to India, but that all the heroes(coded Asian and Native American) were cast as white while all the bad guys were now brown.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"Final Frontier" sounds as generic as it's title is original.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Beachcomber posted:

Edit: Also Borg infection by nanobots is way less horrifying than the elaborate surgery previously required. You stop being you before major changes. The slow surgical alteration has a real body horror element to it. You are alive when they start to eat you.

Quake 4 is utterly forgettable except for the except for the scene where this happens to you in first person.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Railing Kill posted:

Fair enough. I guess it's just frustrating that First contact and Nemesis both turn into cheesy action movies instead of being cheesy sci fi morality plays like they're supposed to be. If I can't blame the writers on their own, then I can blame the producers who almost certainly foisted the dumb, off-tone poo poo on the writers.

"Have Worf shoot a Borg and say an action hero one-liner."
--A Hollywood producer

"Have Patrick Stewart fist fight Tom Hardy at the end of this movie."
--A Hollywood producer

Trekkies Bash New Star Trek As 'Fun, Watchable'

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MillennialVulcan posted:

Nemesis was missing the fun or watchable components though.

Not First Contact, though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Like, maybe it wasn't perfect, but we're never gonna get a Star Trek film that isn't action-y. Not anymore, anyway. That's the specific thing I'm thinking about, that there probably aren't gonna be any slow contemplative movies that actually resemble the better episodes of the show.

I'd pay for a Star Trek version of My Dinner With Andre, and so would a lot of you probably, but big budget franchises can't rest on niche appeal. People in charge want Star Wars and Avengers numbers for every production.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 20, 2017

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
IIRC the typical "American" accent is actually the original British one and it's the ones across the pond who've changed.

I have no idea what typical American sounds like because unless it's like, some variety of Southern specifically, every attempt an American accent just sounds "normal" to me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Beachcomber posted:

Picard keeps probing her territory, trying to open a way inside. She's got her fingers all over Picard's lady, making her hot, making her do things.

The Borg Queen tries covering herself up, but it's too late. He's seen everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Being gay is just a natural result of the chemicals They put in the water.