Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Essentially. It's kind of sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
But theft isn't rape, and even as far as theft goes, it's remarkably harmless. Still not [I]good[I] to take genetic samples without permission, but it's not exactly the same life altering decisions.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nessus posted:

Well at a certain point you're saying that people's consent is irrelevant, and can be circumvented even if specifically and explicitly withheld, as long as this circumvention is "harmless." That seems like a pretty problematic ethical perspective to take.

Only when taken as a broad applied philosophy and not a case by case thing. I don't support the clone colony, just that, narratively, as a metaphor, it's not nearly the same thing as what their trying to compare it to, both rape and abortion.

Nessus posted:

I'd say finding out ten years later that you have a genetic clone who was created against your will would be pretty heavily rocking. Or finding out in sixty years that the reason that guy looks so much like you is because he's a clone of Grampy Will.

I don't really see a huge problem with that. It'd be annoying and I wouldn't be super cool with it, but it wouldn't wreck me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Posting in one Star Trek thread should be grounds for institutionalization.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't really understand why they'd bother with different warp speeds, out of universe, I mean. I can't think of any other majorly popular sci fi that does that. It just leads to all these problems and when you want to be going as fast as you can in emergencies anyway, it doesn't really add anything. "FTL is the speed of plot" works fine for me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's practically canon, given complacency was a huge disadvantage during the Dominion War. Too good to ever improve or improvise.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Impulse using low warp makes sense to me because getting anywhere in space on mundane thrust would take obscenely long times even for places that are relatively close, and the alternative would be dropping into warp for just a second or less to get from the Earth to the moon.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well goddamn, in the Animated Series they go up to Warp 36. :stonk:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Where does it rank among all holodeck episodes?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I wish I were a sociologist so I could figure out why western sci-fi has lost all sense of imagination regarding the unknown.

Just look at the Hugo Awards poo poo with all the douchbags who wish sci fi was just pew pew ray guns without any introspection on the human condition or philosophical analysis.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I wonder if the First Contact version of the Warp Test still happened in the Kelvinverse, through time-fuckery. If not, the Borg episode of Enterprise definitely isn't canon in that reality.

Huh, that's...that's a really interesting paradox and kind of makes my head hurt. Thank god I believe time is unchangeable and time travel that alters things is sci fi nonsense.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Uh, old Spock exists as a remnant of a nonexistent timeline. So there's that.

That's not the same in ways I can't begin to explain without going cross eyed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Robutt posted:

With the Beyond press-train going full steam ahead combined with the Sulu news I am seeing so many actor interviews talking about "Gene's vision" and how positive and wonderful and inclusive he was. Sure, the guy gave us Trek but I've not seen a single mention of the fact that Gene resisted the portrayal of diverse sexuality for loving years.

Thanks to whoever recommended that book about what a douchbag he is. I already knew from other stuff I read, but it just arrived the other day and I am straight up ready to devour it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
How do you forget the ultimate gently caress O'Brian, Seriously, Let's Just Ruin His poo poo episode?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'd imagine it'd just never come up in the first place. I love Roddenberry drama to a weird degree, but one thing I'm not gonna blame the guy for is not crusading for gay representation on the show in the 60s.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I forgot who, but someone on the staff was called "an aids-infected cocksucker" by the lawyer.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Gene was a giant lech and his futurism at times feels like a vehicle for that. If he could have gotten away with it Star Trek would be Gor levels of fetish.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FlamingLiberal posted:

George Takei said in a recent interview that Gene knew he was gay in the '60s, and that they had discussions about introducing gay characters but felt that was going to get the show cancelled (they're not wrong).

It wouldn't have gotten it canceled because it wouldn't have made it near the airwaves, to even attempt it would be the most pointless effort since the charge of the Light Brigade. Hell, I Love Lucy couldn't even say "pregnant", even implied heterosexual sex had to be as subtle as possible.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ikasuhito posted:

Well it was that and I believe he was trying to write a story were the main character was black also.

Let's not forget what partially inspired that episode, after all:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Astroman posted:

Whoa, really? What's that from?

Here's all you need to know about it. It's an incredible comic and it's impact really can't be understated.

At least one school teacher wrote in asking for several copies for her classroom. Sweet stuff.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 20, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There's this other comic that's not as famous(as evident by me not being able to remember it's name) where like...this guy comes back from Korea, and he's like, "I want my best buddy from the army buried here in town", and everyone's happy to go along with it till his friend turns out to have been black, and when the town doesn't wanna allow it the veteran just tears into them. Good poo poo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

T.C. posted:

Good on Frakes for wanting his love interest in The Outcast to be played by a man.

And Whoopi Goldberg fought hard to tell Lal about "people" falling in love and not "a man & a woman".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I've always wondered: Do they ever tell Keiko what happened to Miles after Visionary? Like her husband literally died of radiation poisoning, but here's another Miles from a timeline that no longer exists.

Considering how transporters work, Federation society has probably made peace with that sort of thing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mister Kingdom posted:

I doubt Shatner will get one of these documentaries when he croaks.

I know Shatner can be a jackass but this is pretty spiteful and jerkish to say man.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

I'd also love some "crazy gene" stories if possible! I know he was quite the womanizer and horn dog but that' about it.

Something that always springs to mind isn't the worst thing he's ever done, but a long time ago he rode the convention circuit pretty hard and showed tons of bloopers in an era where that absolutely wasn't common at all. It really embarrassed all the actors.

Also, for "crazy" and not necessarily "mean", he kept insisting, over and over, for every movie past the Motion Picture, that the plot be about the crew going back in time and Spock having to kill JFK.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Possibly, but it's a pretty generic plot idea, and basically just The City on the Edge of Forever with an actual historical moment.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timby posted:

Whitney always said it was a Desilu executive who raped her.

Not that I have reason to believe Gene did it, but this can't count for much. She couldn't very well say "it was that guy millions of men near literally worship". Cosby times a trillion.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

What's with nerd cons and massive disasters like that? I think there was a thread years ago by someone who worked the "con scene" and it was amazing how many were straight up frauds/scams or just insanely mismanaged or destroyed by ridiculous internal drama.

I think it's a normal success/failure ratio for any kind of huge event. Woodstock '99 was some poo poo. Pop culture conventions have just gotten a lot more popular in the past decade or so, so there's more attempts, and thus, more failures. Dashcon was the nadir.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The worst thing any Trek alum did was the time Shatner bleached his face, stalked that babysitter, and killed all her friends.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baka-nin posted:

I watched the episode again now TNG's back on Netflix and I'm impressed they tried to tackle terrorism, but its just abundantly clear that the writing team didn't really understand the subject at all.

Not the worst time America depicted the Troubles.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I will grumpily insist it should have been one of the main three.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, George Takei isn't like, King of the Gays or anything. Although King of the Gays is a pretty funny mental image. Somebody please take that concept and roll with it. One Queer to Rule them All.

This is why it shouldn't have been Sulu at all. It's blatantly just because Takei is gay.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

speakhard posted:

Interesting but I think it would have called even more attention to itself, though I wouldn't have had a problem with that.

The problem is just how little thought that went into it, and that even without Shatner around stealing lines, Sulu is still a side character. It's a token bone throw because the old Sulu is a famous gay guy. If Shatner or Nimoy were gay, I doubt their characters would be suddenly made LGBT "in tribute". Sulu is an all too perfect convenience.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Neither it being given too much attention nor ruining Sulu's character is why I'm dissatisfied with it. Nor am I even that upset, I just don't agree with the choice to make Sulu gay.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's very Starfleet to design something with the intention of being a "true front line heavy cruiser" and calling it Ambassador.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pakled posted:

Apparently there was a teaser trailer, at least. Looks like it's already on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqm9HSYbf0o

That ship is heavily reminiscent of a Klingon Bird of Prey from the original series. Or maybe a Warbird. One of the two.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Thom12255 posted:

Literally the ugliest ship.

And the teaser was quite odd. It looked worse than the CGI that Fan projects pump out. Not really the best introduction to the series for anyone. I'm actually a bit worried about it now.

It was so weightless. I couldn't possibly imagine people actually on the ship, it was so transparently just a CGI model-I know it's just a teaser, but teasers usually suck as a rule and should be done away with.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Evek posted:

It should be hauled away AS garbage.

FTFY

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The starship's aesthetic sucks, it's not just the quality of the CGI, although if it comes out looking like Reboot in 2016, yeah, that's gonna count against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't even mind the shape, that's fine, the colors and greebles are just ugly as hell.