Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

One of you guys made this, right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynrXKI3EJFU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

If the infiltration had been real, I guess the Order could've been betting on the Bajoran resistance lacking the resources to scan people's DNA or whatever. As part of the deception, maybe they just assumed Kira wouldn't connect the dots for some reason. I think they considered her in those days to be just a grunt running errands, right?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

The best explanation I've heard is that while basic needs and sufficient luxuries are freely available, if you want to satisfy intangibles like ambition or obtaining the respect of your peers, or something limited, like real estate, you better go get a job

And for everyone who doesn't feel like doing anything in particular, there's always space heroin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDxGinbIfaE

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Sash! posted:

If?

Dude probably has a Horga'hn for a keychain

Close. He's got a Horga'hn belt buckle.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Interesting that they were thinking of a Jamaican accent.

Jamaican Geordi yelling about coolant leaks, at least in my head, is probably the funniest thing I'll see hear or imagine today, so I may as well go back to bed.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Tyson Tomko posted:

That's why I really liked the weird gesture aliens in Voyager that showed up for a few seconds. They were weird but definitely pretty alien compared to most.

Weird but alien is something I hope the new series isn't afraid to do with their races, assuming they have the budget for it.

Both visually and conceptually I think my ideal alien style would be somewhere between Farscape and a bunch of old sci-fi games like Star Control 2 and Master of Orion, updated for 2017, but retaining the eccentricities.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Keep your clones alive and send them to work or school in your place so you can take the day off. You're the original, so you're the boss, right?

This didn't work out very well for Calvin, but nothing did, really.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Pulaski: "Tell me Prime Minister, how many of your people are clones?"
Riker: "Clones?!"
Pulaski: "Clones."
Prime Minister: "Clones."

And actual exchange in the episode.

Cut from the end of that scene is a shirtless guy with a mullet standing in the corner shouting "Les Enfants Terribles!" in a questionable English accent.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

"On the Klingon homeworld, your name is not mentioned."

So? Do world leaders routinely shout off names of all the major houses at meetings or something?

It's the traditional roll call before the national anthem.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

HD DAD posted:

So any speculation on a time period? Almost looks post-ENT yet still pre-TOS.

1031 is a pretty low number, so if that has any particular bearing on when this ship launched then somewhere between ENT and TOS would make sense, yeah. It could even be close to Axanar's time period which is funny to me for some reason.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Here's to the 1031-A!

Just saying, blowing up your hero ship and replacing it with a new model would be a pretty cool first season cliffhanger.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

It looks like they rendered it in Star Trek Online.

Not enough rubberbanding as it leaves spacedock.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

He calls that the Cardassian Neck Trick.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

"Welp, the hatch on this alien ship is locked, but it's not a problem because I can just blow it up" is one of the first thing Reed does on Enterprise. Much later, Reed geeked-out over WW2 German dive bombers in the middle of an attack and made T'Pol roll her eyes.

Reed owns.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

One of the reasons why I shrugged at the Leeroy Jenkins meme was because the Red Squad cadets did pretty much the exact same thing a few years earlier.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Baka-nin posted:

Oh you mean how the Federation thought Joe Piscopo was the greatest comedian of all time?

I wonder how much culture was lost in World War 3. Maybe the nukes took out everything except a few VHS copies of Wise Guys and whatever is in the NX-01's movie night collection.

Or, like Rebo and Zooty, Piscopo is weirdly popular with other Federation races while humans are still like "oh, that loving guy."

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

I can almost appreciate Threshold in a Mystery Science Theater kind of way, which is more than I can say for a lot of Voyager episodes. poo poo like Tattoo, Spirit Folk, Alice, and probably a few others I'm forgetting, are as bad as anything else this franchise has produced. However, having recently been reminded of Retrospect, that probably easily gets my pick for worst.

The Thaw can be a rough watch but it's nowhere near the bottom of the barrel. At least it has that great closing scene going for it.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

All I can ever think about whenever Time's Arrow comes up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rd5DlT_m8I

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

The scene with Guinan and Data can be entertaining. Throw the rest in the trash.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

I think I like the idea of a Lt. Commander lead character who rises to Captain over the course of the series, or inherits the position in some kind of Stargazer-like catastrophe, especially if they take the time to fully establish all those doomed senior officers first.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

Maybe she's the head of the away team department. Like, when they find a dangerous new planet, they beam down these folks who have "away team" as their entire job description, rather than sending the entire senior staff down to be killed.

This or maybe something like what BSG was doing with Lee Adama as the CAG. Probably more likely that she'll be a bridge officer though. My bet's on helmsman.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

I liked the NX-01 bridge a lot because it had some of its officer stations facing the captain rather than the walls. It looked particularly good in Season 4 when it got a nice splash of TOS colours.

But my favourite is probably the TMP/WOK Enterprise bridge just because it's oddly dark at all times, but not too dark, like Kirk was going through some kind of mood lighting phase at the time. All it needed was some string lights and a little bar.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Timby posted:

The only TNG-era console game I can think of off the top of my head is Future's Past, which weirdly enough had a different title on the Genesis version, although I can't recall any significant differences between the two versions.

The Genesis version was called Echoes From The Past, and oddly enough it actually was different in several ways.

My memory sucks, but I'm pretty sure there were full dialogue trees for a lot of viewscreen conversations in the Genesis version that were for whatever dumb reason scrapped on the SNES, which meant a lot of combat was forced because you couldn't Picard your way out of battles anymore. A few of the away mission maps had alternate layouts, including the final area, which I think was completely different and/or impossible due to bad design or bugs or both. There were also some very videogamey heart-shaped health pickups and stuff on the SNES version, while I think on the Genesis you had to heal with a medical officer or just evacuate injured dudes and return with replacements. The Vulcan scientist you meet on the first mission looks completely different, like a young model on the SNES and much more elderly on the Genesis, who knows why.

Of course, the SNES lacks the kickass Yamaha soundchip in the Genesis, so that's where you gotta go if you want your Star Trek as 16-Bit as possible.

There was also a DS9 game on the Genesis (and probably the SNES too) called Crossroads of Time that was pretty good and maybe the only example of a Star Trek platformer.

Delsaber fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 13, 2016

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Rhyno posted:

They just found a '37 Ford floating in space.

I hate my life.

Some kind of early hovercar?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

The Kazon weren't even good enough to be Klingon knock-offs. On any other show, they'd be the random mulleted rebels stuck in an endless war against slightly different random mulleted rebels over ownership of that week's cave set and burning trashcan props, the Enterprise would deal with them for one episode and then get back on the road.

But Voyager being Voyager, they stuck around for two years because someone thought doing Los Angeles street gangs in space would be a good idea.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Evek posted:

Also me too. Spooky.

Add me to the list as well. Only scene that freaked me out more was Crusher in the cargo bay/morgue with all the sitting corpses from Night Terrors.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

The difference between the two Voyagers is the one that got destroyed was going to get all the good episodes.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Someone with skills needs to change the hand to give a middle finger.

Or a Terminator 2 thumbs-up.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Mortanis posted:

Part of it is the Vulcans of ENT are missing half of Surak's teachings and are living a corrupted path. They mellow once they get all the patch notes on Surak's teachings.

An entire planet of No Man's Sky preorder customers.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Hi, I'm an ousted Nausicaan prince looking to retrieve five million bars of gold-pressed latinum from my home planet. If you can help me with this I'll be obligated to reward you a percentage for your good deeds. Please send me your Bank of Bolias account information.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8KwGMncog

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If you're comparing it to the good episodes of TOS, then yeah, of course it isn't going to measure up. Those loving episodes are iconic for a reason. But if you're using the TNG/DS9 metric of good, then yes, there are at least 20-30 good episodes of Enterprise.

You can't compare two completely different eras of tv and be surprised when one or the other doesn't measure up.

All of this will happen again with Discovery, too. Circle of life.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

I loved Spxyx's concept albums.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was thinking that.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

I find Miri pretty goddamned unwatchable, but maybe not quite as terrible as these other examples.

Voyager gets much worse than Threshold. Retrospect is offensive as poo poo, Spirit Folk is completely irredeemable, and Alice is just loving baffling.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

There are at least a handful of episodes in the first few years of TNG that are only really memorable because of the music. Evolution is a great example. The story itself didn't have a whole lot going on, but it still feels oddly fresh on a rewatch mostly thanks to the score. It probably wouldn't stand out at all in the later seasons once the production was in its final form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Xnqm1H39c

The sonic wallpaper we got later on would've killed a lot of the tension. And they used the wallpaper for so long that it eventually came around the other side and became noticeable, just in the "oh for gently caress's sake not this music again" way, a big contributor to how stale Star Trek looked and felt towards the end. By the time Enterprise started experimenting a little it was way too late.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

I'll go with Mutara, though some small part of me is starting to prefer Stealing The Enterprise, Mutara's somewhat overlooked cousin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s5lQ-bGe6c

Zurui posted:

It's me, I'm the one who likes Enterprise. Voyager is one true Trek failure.

I'd add Nemesis alongside Voyager on that list but otherwise I agree.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

More and more people are cord-cutters now too, abandoning traditional TV in favour of various streaming options even if it means getting stuff a little late on Hulu or a lot late on Netflix (or not at all :canada:.) Who knows what the actual numbers are for that though, it could be an overestimated phenomenon whether it's a growing trend or not, but sometimes I feel like if it weren't for sports a whole lot of people wouldn't bother with TV at all anymore.

Even stuff that used to dominate cable ratings like WWE has slid very harshly downhill over the last decade or so. The kind of conversations people used to have about Voyager and Enterprise's Nielsen ratings are happening again in PSP every week.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

I always got more of a Babylon 5 vibe from Mass Effect, at least in its themes and setpieces, the Citadel in particular is probably the most obvious, but I don't think that was necessarily intentional. There's definitely quite a bit of original Star Wars, Alien, and the TOS Star Trek films in its art design, and the music felt straight out of the John Carpenter or Vangelis playbook. I'm pretty sure Bioware pointed out those influences themselves in a lot of pre-release material. Gunning so hard for the look and feel of late 70s/80s sci-fi films is part of the reason I love those games so much despite their issues.

I'm looking forward to Andromeda but part of me would rather see someone try their hand at a TV adaption.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, the WWE sliding downhill is mostly the WWE's own fault given that Vince McMahon is and always has been a batshit insane crazy person who enjoys pissing off fans on purpose and only kinda gets away with it because the WWE has had no meaningful competition since the demise of WCW

The sad part is that their product has actually been improving (or at least modernizing) as Vince cedes more and more control to his successors, but the ratings are continuing their freefall anyway. Vince McMahon is the Rick Berman to Triple H's Manny Coto, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

On the next episode of Discovery, the crew discovers a planet of aliens who have built their society around imitating Donald Trump.

https://twitter.com/RikerGoogling/status/779052315856674816