Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Why are there multiple 3 hour long star trek fan films that have extended scenes in the price is right studio...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I felt like watching TNG all the way through for the first time so I just watched Encounter at Farpoint. It was pretty good IDK:shrug:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

The only thing that stood out as being weird was when Troi talked to Riker with her mind when they first me, but that was mainly because her voice sounded off. There's some awkward stuff here and there but most of it seems on purpose and I think it works.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

It's kind of meant to be though? He goes an apologises to Beverly later about it, and one of the first things he says to Riker is that he's terrible with children.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I just got through Code of Honour. The main plot's not super great but there's still lots of nice interactions between the crew, like the French being a dead language and this is becoming a speech scenes, and that's really what I'm watching the show for.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Hehe they didn't replicate the reflection in the rings that made the planet super tiny.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Timby posted:

(his post-Enterprise writing credits should disabuse anyone of the notion that he's particularly talented)

I was curious so I looked it up

That's very blunt...

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Prestige

Television

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Finally finished season 1 of TNG. If this is the unwatchably bad season I'm really looking forward to what's next because I really enjoyed it begining to end.

Smooth Riker and red Geordi and Worf were really weird though.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I'm currently mid season 2 and have enjoyed pretty much everything so far. I've never understood the idea of watch lists.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Must prevent people from seeing measeure of a man!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

No don't watch the show, instead use this guide I made that gets you though the entire run in 37 minutes.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

TenFordWard

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Is the TNG that's on Canadian netflix the remaster?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Goblin Craft posted:

Watch an episode of DS9 and then TNG, and if TNG doesn't look about 9 million times better then it's not the remaster.

Okay, TNG does look noticeably better but DS9 doesn't look terrible.

I thought I saw something somewhere where they made TNG widescreen? Like they originally filmed that way and cropped it for TV or am I just making this up.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Goblin Craft posted:

That's true of B5 but not TNG to my knowledge. The former was shot for 4:3 but kept 16:9 safe so they could open up the matte for later releases. They probably could have done something similar with TNG during the remaster process, but probably more on a shot by shot basis.

Ah I must have been conflating people talking about that and the TNG remaster.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

A while ago I watched that deleted scene with Picard and Data after the wedding and thought it was really good. I watched it again just now after getting through like 40 episodes of TNG and it doesn't seem as good anymore...

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

If I kill Harry Kim but replace him with a space time anomaly duplicate, was a crime committed?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Finally finished season 2! Really enjoyed it overall, it's a shame the last episode was a clip show but that was due to a writer's strike or something wasn't it?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I demand that all science in science fiction stories to be 100% real, personally.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Just watch the show you cowards.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I thought both those hands were Riker's at first and he was giving Geordi a big hug

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

The only thing I remember about the show was the ship's AI having a 3 way argument with her screen, hologram, and robot body selves, that was fun. Also at somepoint they landed on a wildwest planet and stayed there forever.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

If they did what they did to Paris and Janeway to turn them back to those lizard babies would they have gotten a few human babies?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Those weird glitches are likely the bottom few pixels of the running time code that’s used for editing and broadcast. Typically that would have been cut off on a normal SD TV, but the raw digital transfers from the master tapes likely still had those artifacts left over.

On netflix in Canada a lot of TNG episodes have a blinking white bit at the very top left hand corner which I assume is something like that, would that mean that it isn't the HD version or did they leave those in?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Most of the best episodes of shows either build on things that the show took a long time setting up like character interactions or plot elements, or they stand out because they do something really different and novel in comparison to the rest of the show, so usually the best episodes are the worst to show someone to get them interested.

So just start at the beginning :colbert:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don’t know, I think the Q episodes stand on their own pretty well in TNG.

The beginning is a Q episode :v:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

(Of course, Q might have just been loving with them.)

Might??

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

From what I gathered anything above warp 8 is like supercharging the engines so if you do it for too long it will wear them out.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

What's the best way to watch Lower Decks in Canada? I see it's on something called crave, is that it?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I see.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Crave is usually bundled with most Canadian cable subscriptions. Go it its homepage, click the Sign In button and select "through my TV provider" and you'll be guided through the login process.

Oh I'll have to try that, thanks!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Just watch the show:shrug:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Can you get four pips if you're in science/medical/engineering or is that solely for command?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Wow I want to watch that version of First Contact

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

They say in the first episode that the holodeck and the replicators work on similar principles. So the holodeck makes fully functional real guns on command.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

That guy used the price of a custom made Star Fleet uniform replica to try and determine how much a real one would cost in universe...

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

There's that ship that gets it's nacelle yanked off as it was trying to go to warp in Lower Decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Is that just America? I'm in Canada and am half way through TNG...do I need to speed up the pace a lot?