Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I got through 6 episodes of season 3 of Discovery after having skipped season 2 entirely and the latter half of season 1. They seem to be pumping up Burnham and everyone gushes over her and lavishes her with praise but she is probably one of the most selfish, incompetent and unlikable characters I’ve seen in a primary role in a show.

Does this get any better because it just begs my suspension of disbelief how she keeps loving off on her own little adventures without telling anyone and suffers no consequences for any of her actions despite being in a military vessel in the ragged and hounded remains of the Federation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

I got through 6 episodes of season 3 of Discovery after having skipped season 2 entirely and the latter half of season 1. They seem to be pumping up Burnham and everyone gushes over her and lavishes her with praise but she is probably one of the most selfish, incompetent and unlikable characters I’ve seen in a primary role in a show.

Does this get any better because it just begs my suspension of disbelief how she keeps loving off on her own little adventures without telling anyone and suffers no consequences for any of her actions despite being in a military vessel in the ragged and hounded remains of the Federation.

No

There’s even plot points about how she has to stop going rogue and then she does it again

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Lol no, it gets way worse

RadicalTranslation
Jan 26, 2021

Tried to get my boyfriend into Star Trek. Showed him Datalore. He hated it and now I am sad lol.

I wanna show him The Inner Light but I doubt I can convince him to watch another lmfao

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm not sure if either of them are great intros to Trek

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Always start with a funny episode.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

skasion posted:

Lol no, it gets way worse

I was literally blown away when she just hosed off with all of the dilithium of the Discovery early in the season in a hairbrained plan to kidnap the enemy commander, threatening the extremely rare and valuable resource of the ship and everyone on board and loving suffered no consequences for it. Who the gently caress is writing this show?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RadicalTranslation posted:

Tried to get my boyfriend into Star Trek. Showed him Datalore. He hated it and now I am sad lol.

I wanna show him The Inner Light but I doubt I can convince him to watch another lmfao

God, why would you start with Datalore? :doh:

I watched Datalore on TV years ago and couldn't loving stand it because everyone involved in the episode acts like a giant idiot.

Show him something GOOD like Yesterday's Enterprise, or Q Who, or Best of Both Worlds, or Darmok.

I can see why he wouldn't want to watch another episode of TNG if Datalore was his entry point.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Everybody's going to get mad at me for being so right and correct, but the correct episode to get somebody started on next generation is "the royale"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Drone posted:

TOS: Klingon D7
TNG: Romulan D'Deridex
DS9: Cardassian Galor + Keldon
VOY: ???
ENT: Vulcan ships are very cool imo.
DIS: uh
PIC: poo poo

This is my favorite Voyager alien ship:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

This is my favorite Voyager alien ship:

For me it was always the USS Dauntless that was my favourite Voyager ship.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

I somewhat understand skipping some of season 1, but why skip season 2? It's kinda the best one.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Gordon Shumway posted:

I somewhat understand skipping some of season 1, but why skip season 2? It's kinda the best one.

I saw a clip of Burnham in a angelic suit doing a superhero 3 point landing on the outside of Discovery while millions of tiny drones buzzed about fighting someone around her. It was an absolute clusterfuck of of a shot that just screamed that they were still treating her as some masonic savior figure and had abandoned any pretense of restrained space combat for incredibly busy clusterfucks of effects for the sake of effects.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Timby posted:

The original Borg Cube, before it became a busy, over-designed mess starting with First Contact, was terrifying in its elegant simplicity.

BonHair posted:

This, also because it's essentially non-aesthetic and without irrelevant aerodynamics. Square is practical for corridors, do a square. Anything else will be solved through superior technology, like defense and speed.

I'd go further and say it's deliberately anti-aesthetic. It's actively a statement of opposition to anyone's conception of aesthetics. It's not efficient, it's not organic, it's not beautiful, it's not anything except the biggest and most blatant "gently caress you and the ship you rode in on" possible. It's amazing.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

https://twitter.com/swear_trek/status/1359910289563648005?s=19

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

I saw a clip of Burnham in a angelic suit doing a superhero 3 point landing on the outside of Discovery while millions of tiny drones buzzed about fighting someone around her. It was an absolute clusterfuck of of a shot that just screamed that they were still treating her as some masonic savior figure and had abandoned any pretense of restrained space combat for incredibly busy clusterfucks of effects for the sake of effects.
Yeah...they really went insane for the finale

The first half of Season 2 is a lot better than the second half

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The best intro to Trek is a competent but not classic/pivotal episode. Like I get the impulse to just throw Yesterday's Enterprise or The Visitor at someone, but you're short-changing the experience if they actually do become a fan.

It's like a while back when people here posted a space battle from The Orville with no context and expected people to be blown away. Or me when I was 12 urging my friend who had never seen Star Trek to watch All Good Things. Gotta let 'em earn those emotional payoffs!!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I always recommend the Tasha Yar tar monster episode

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

I will also accept the functionally identical Discoprise.

In a pig's eye

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Most of the best episodes of shows either build on things that the show took a long time setting up like character interactions or plot elements, or they stand out because they do something really different and novel in comparison to the rest of the show, so usually the best episodes are the worst to show someone to get them interested.

So just start at the beginning :colbert:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Boxturret posted:

Most of the best episodes of shows either build on things that the show took a long time setting up like character interactions or plot elements, or they stand out because they do something really different and novel in comparison to the rest of the show, so usually the best episodes are the worst to show someone to get them interested.

So just start at the beginning :colbert:

I don’t know, I think the Q episodes stand on their own pretty well in TNG.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Minidust posted:

The best intro to Trek is a competent but not classic/pivotal episode. Like I get the impulse to just throw Yesterday's Enterprise or The Visitor at someone, but you're short-changing the experience if they actually do become a fan.

It's like a while back when people here posted a space battle from The Orville with no context and expected people to be blown away. Or me when I was 12 urging my friend who had never seen Star Trek to watch All Good Things. Gotta let 'em earn those emotional payoffs!!

Yeah, people say Generations should have been Yesterday's Enterprise and that boggles my mind. There's so much you need to know to really appreciate that episode, and it would have confused the poo poo out of general audiences (remember, DS9 got flooded with fan mail because goobers were convinced they had just blown up the Enterprise-D in The Jem'Hadar). You could get by with something like Cause & Effect, maaaaybe Q Who, Clues or Darmok. But nothing that is heavily reliant on extensive backstory works as an effective introduction to the show. Family is dynamite, for example, but carries no punch without seeing BOBW before it, and even then it helps a ton to have seen Q Who before that. I, Borg is a phenomenal episode and stage drama, too, but it's completely dependent upon several episodes' worth of context.

Same reason you don't have someone begin DS9 with Duet (because it isn't representative of the show as a whole), The Visitor (meaningless without three years of seeing Sisko raise Jake) or Dominion War stuff (desperately needs context).

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Nitrousoxide posted:

The beginning is a Q episode :v:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I have a friend who’d never seen any Trek beyond a handful of TOS eps and the JJ films, and he’s been watching TNG from the start without skipping anything. He made it past Farpoint, Code of Honor, and The Last Outpost without issue, so he’ll probably make it through the whole show eventually.

Basically, watch everything you cowards. Introduce friends with boring garbage instead of trying to hook them with the classics.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The best introductory episode of Deep Space 9 is house of Quark

For the original series, it's "A piece of the action". As I mentioned, for TNG it's "the royale", but you can't do the royale and a piece of the action if you're introducing people to two different treks

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I introduced my best friend to Trek via Cause and Effect, and he’s probably a bigger nerd about the show than I am now.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

BonHair posted:

This, also because it's essentially non-aesthetic and without irrelevant aerodynamics. Square is practical for corridors, do a square. Anything else will be solved through superior technology, like defense and speed.

yep

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Balls to the discoprise.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 12, 2021

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Timby posted:

Yeah, people say Generations should have been Yesterday's Enterprise and that boggles my mind. There's so much you need to know to really appreciate that episode, and it would have confused the poo poo out of general audiences

It wouldn't have been point by point the episode. The premise would be similar but substantially different.

The ship that would have had to go back to die was Kirk. That's the Enterprise that has to make the sacrifice.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

MikeJF posted:

Balls to the discoprise.

:eyepop:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

E. Double post

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Balls to the discoprise.

Treat her like a lady, and she'll always bring you home

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Nitrousoxide posted:

Who the gently caress is writing this show?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
TNG has plenty of great stand-alone episodes that could be a good introduction to the show. Not necessarily the best episodes, since those usually build on other stuff.

Although despite that, I'd also say Cause And Effect works as both a stand-alone and the best episode ever. I'm still slightly hesitant to say it's a good intro to the show, because you do need at least some concept of how an episode would normally play out to appreciate how much is being subverted. But you don't necessarily need to have seen a lot of TNG specifically; could be any Trek, or other shows like it. And the best thing is you'll appreciate it more on re-watch, because you will re-watch it.

Datalore is an odd choice, in any event. Not awful, not great, just not sure what you'd come away with if you're not already interested in the show.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

To that effect, I think Q Who makes for a pretty great intro. You get some nice banal intro about spilling hot chocolate on Picard's uniform, you get some classic Q smugness and Picard/Q interaction, you get a good deal of Guinan, you get an actual space battle (with people dying!), and you get one of the best pieces of foreshadowing while still having an episode that doesn't really require too much in the way of prior knowledge. Maybe a quick pause to explain what Q is.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It's just mind blowing how poorly paced and thought out this season was, at least for me, only 6 episodes in.

1: The writers gave themselves a new blank slate. They changed the rules of the game so that now the Discovery has a mystery on its hands, where did the Federation go? They find a single bread crumb from the sensor platform guy but encounter new villains in the form of the couriers who desperately want Discovery's dilithium. They could have had a season long epic where they are desperately outclassed by every runabout class ship in the area since their tech is 1k years out of date, but had the most advanced drive tech in the entire galaxy allowing them to escape from danger. Put them in situations where they need to stay put for a time to get the info they need to get closer to finding Starfleet, force them to think cleverly to avoid the higher tech couriers constantly hunting them, and end the season with them arriving at the Starfleet staging point.

Instead they encounter someone at the first planet they go to (Earth) who knows exactly where the Federation fleet is and the couriers become of little importance.

2: Imagine you, the writer, have a ship from 1000 years ago showing up at the beleaguered Starfleet staging point. They host a drive tech that needs no dilithium and can travel nearly anywhere instantly. Do you: 1: Have them stay in the safety of the staging point while you research and replicate the drive tech for use in other ships. 2: State in a line or two that you've run detailed scans on the drive and have everything you need to do research into replicating it or 3: immediately send the ship with the only copy of this savior drive tech out on dangerous missions with no explanation as to how you're securing that technology.

Obviously 3 of course. What else could it be?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah the way Starfleet treats the Discovery is just completely nonsensical

You have a ship that can fix your problem of not being able to travel very far, and you send it into hostile situations multiple times? The gently caress???

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah the way Starfleet treats the Discovery is just completely nonsensical

You have a ship that can fix your problem of not being able to travel very far, and you send it into hostile situations multiple times? The gently caress???

It's fine they gave them some future staff to help them adjust, oh wait...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Look the ship's nacelles are detached now and we put a fancy -A on the registry number for no apparently reason, okay? Jesus Christ just stop asking questions and like our show and subscribe to CBS All Access already, and don't forget to post on twitter after each episode giving you "all the feels"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It’s not clear either, but it appears like they gave the crew like 2 weeks of a crash course in 32nd century tech before sending them on their way

Honestly one of my biggest complaints with Season 3 is that the tech we see is not that impressive for being like 800 years after TNG