Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Fuckin earth weirdos with their smooth foreheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The spore drive is weird and cool and not even among the top 50 issues with Disco.
e: I agree that it is weirdly cool or cool in a weird way, but....

It's one of those can of worms things where they gotta make excuses why you can't use the spore drive to instantly solve problem x or problem y. It's like how transporters are blocked by everything from shields to particularly ornery coffee makers, or how the warp drive goes out every time a ship gets into combat; those things gotta be done so that danger can be injected into the plot. Except for the spore drive the sheer versatility and scale of it means they gotta make excuses as to why it doesn't work for X situation on a practically cosmic level.

It's like how everyone pretends that transporting to a ship light years away at warp speed never happened after ST09, because otherwise they'd have to write around it. A similar thing happened in Stargate with the infamous '3 shots disintegrates' guns; they just had to pretend that never happened so they didn't have to address it *every time they shot someone*.

On a personal level I also find it irritating that they found it necessary to make the Disco a special snowflake unique ship. The Enterprises have been the Federation flagships but they've never been intrinsically special; it's always that their crew has been the best.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 11, 2022

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

yes, but, *a list of a thousand hypocritical excuses*

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I feel like we're getting to the heart of the matter of why Voyager got so much guff at the time, which is that it wasn't DS9

I mean Voyager's had deserved reputation renaissance to be sure. But man the first couple seasons have some real issues that wear on a soul.

Like every time they needed to pad out an episode they pulled out the 'Neelix is a jealous controlling gently caress' subplot which just drags the whole thing down.

And the Kazon were just lame antagonists. The source of conflict is legitimate, I can see how they thought it would work on paper, but in practice it was just boooriiinngg. Even in Season 2 they had moved to mostly 'Voyager vs Seska' rather than Kazon per se cuz the Kazon sucked.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 13, 2022

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Locutus, you never call, you never write....

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

They pull this same stunt again with Seven of Nine. They give her a modicum of her individuality back so she can interface with the Voyager crew because Janeway straight up said "gently caress off, I'm not negotiating with shouting hallway" and the Borg Queen wasn't cleared for TV consumption by Berman and Moonves yet.

The Borg do this poo poo on the reg, apparently.

Also handily explains why a human was used in this specific case.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

To me the important part of the Borg was always that they were the dark mirror of the Federation. They are a powerful synthesis of their member cultures, but they disregard consent and destroy individuality - as opposed to the consensual IDIC philosophy of the Federation. They aren't grey goo, assimilating 'cultural distinctiveness' was in there from the start. They believe alien perspectives are valuable.... as an expert system submind.

The Queen kinda kicks this in the balls by making them supervillain minions, but it's not unsalvageable. Picard just, uh, chose otherwise.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Lower Decks specifically caters to ye olde trekkies, and not just in a 'hey here's a reference!' way (although the references are there for sure.) Someone on SA put it best IMO: that LD has found their formula by season 3, and it is to make a regular TNG episode but shorter and with jokes.

As the name suggest the stakes are often quite low. And...that's actually a good thing. Star Trek doesn't always have to be about the fate of the human race, or the fate of the Federation, or the fate of the universe. It can just be about the fate of one person or even just their happiness, and it often very much was in the TNG/VOY/DS9 era. They even poke fun occasionally about the epic high stakes that much of modern trek has become. That's not to say that Lower Decks shies away from anything mattering. Stuff matters! Sometimes it's even very important! It just doesn't have to be Full Epic all the time.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

McSpanky posted:

Having actually watched the first episode and found it okay but not particularly enticing, this is pretty much exactly what I expected from a spinoff of Disco. It's fruit of the poisonous tree, I just don't think anything made from this group of creatives is going to make me happy no matter how well executed by the actors.

And I'm cashing in my nerd bingo free space to say I will never accept their redesigned TOS Connie :colbert:

The first episode of SNW is, inexplicably, basically a Discovery episode. IMO, the second episode works much better, and is built like a first episode anyway. Frankly, I'd recommend anyone with the least doubt to simply skip the first episode.

Still irrationally angry about the phone thing.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 25, 2022

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

unfortunately the only way Weber knows how to write a battle scene is 'the good guys had an unbeatable technological advantage, gg' which is how you know he got his start writing extremely long AARs for grog 4x games

even in the first Harrington book, the good guys win the space battle because of some weird laser gizmo that isn't on most ships

there's a more recent, very Weber-esque author who does the same thing and it drives me crazy because they write up settings with *a lot* of potential, like 'The rebel species have finally thrown down the evil empire. Now what?'.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

"You're not afraid to die in battle? Good for you. Listen. See the little kid behind the helmsman? That's Cadet Ricky. There's four generations of his family on this ship, and every one of those generations is ready and willing to time travel and risk getting erased from history just to make sure Wesley gets a date to the Academy Prom. Are you hearing me? Entire clans on this floating city, in the middle of a hostile empire, surrounded by warships, and it's just your average day at Pre-K. Call me back when you're ready to show real dedication."

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Mooseontheloose posted:

A bunch of Grizzly Man or Into the Wild stories written in the 24th century.

"Our ancestors lived off the land which is why I hosed off to a new class M planet, devoid of ANY modern convivence and barely scouted by any modern galatic powers. Sure, no one really lives on Death McDeathball IX but I think we need to harken to a simpler time when we were one with nature."

Don't pan the holocam to the right, that's where the industrial replicator is

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

MikeJF posted:

Or, like, just punching warp after the first blast through the shields and taking a few minutes to figure out what the hell.

the Warp Officer's sole job is to mash the warp button when things go to poo poo, *before* the warp engines get taken offline

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

Beast Wars I always remember as that show that was just barely too early in the morning for me to watch most of the time. I can never muster up the energy to try watching it all through. I can't look past how dated the CGI is even though I can do it with Reboot.

The post-movie transformers cartoon was also a space show, weirdly enough. I kinda burnt out last time I tried watching, but after introducing the Quintessons, they decided to keep bringing them back and keep going to one-off planets. I think the Decepticons diminish a lot as a threat.
Looking for the FIST DECK on the ship diagrams, can't find it :(

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Chop Muscleshirt

Honestly Threshold isn't even bad as an episode, it's just the ending sequence is so bugfuck insane.

It had some good moments, like when the Doctor went "Ah, I know what the problem is. Computer, replace Sickbay's atmosphere with toxic hellsludge."

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 4, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Kurzon posted:

European conservatives
to be fair, it's Star Trek canon that the EU turns into the world government

Source: TNG scene I watched like 3 minutes ago

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

Which episode?

218 "Up the Long Ladder"

The Enterprise rescues a pastoral colony and drops them off at a high-tech colony in order to teach them how to have sex again.

Also featuring Riker aborting his clone son with a phaser and the farm people setting off the fire suppression system trying to cook stew

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Mooseontheloose posted:

Archer was an "Ugly American" as an explorer. Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway and in our new incarnations Pike and Freeman all have a spark of curiosity and open mindedness to them. Archer is kinda closed minded for what we think of a Federation Captain and if they had done it right they could of handled it as a thing where he becomes full of wonderment and awe but he is kinda stubborn and you're not my real dad to the Vulcan's especially in first two seasons.

Which is a shame because Scott Bakula had so much potential for the role.

The other end of things - being convincing when things get serious - didn't work out either IMO. Bakula gave a good speech, but I never felt he hit his stride on getting his game face on. It's an important thing for a Space Captain, and all the other captains have nailed it. Even George Takei nailed it - "Fly her apart, then!" It's difficult, since you have to determined and enraged and serious and restrained all at the same time.

Maybe just another thing to lay at the feet of bad writing though. It helps to have a great setup and good lines.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

DoubleCakes posted:

Revved my Star Trek marathon back up and checked out "Lessons" and "The Chase" from TNG and "Battle Lines". "Lessons" was pretty good and it's been a revelation to see how often the show calls back to the events of previous episodes with the episode calling back to "The Inner Light". With it being so planet-of-the-week in nature, going into TNG, I wasn't expecting much continuity, even with characters and their history, but I'm glad that's not the case.

"The Chase" explaining why so many alien species are humanoid– I wasn't expecting that either. In fact, I came up with my own theory that the reason why so many species in the galaxy have that same two leg, two arm look is because of recurring aspects of evolution based on the inherent physics of life-supporting planets.

I was thinking something similar recently when watching early TNG. It really is a different style of television than practiced today. The episode that introduced the Borg - Q Who? - was complete in and of itself, leaving nothing unresolved. Yet it also spent a lot of time setting up background - not just for the Borg, but for characters - that would pay off dramatically *over a season later* in Best of Both Worlds. More modern television would typically do a Borg arc or a Borg season, i.e. the Xindi arc in ENT.

Also symbolic of the different style of television is that the introduction of an ominous new nemesis was a random episode mid-season, and the season finale was a turgid medical drama about Riker contracting space death.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

SNW is p decent, but episode 1 is dire which is unfortunate

I can't imagine what the thought process was that made episode 1 the Disco-related episode where they were too cool for the word 'communicator' and instead said 'phone'
cuz tahts how you appeal to the fanbase, right?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Mike the TV posted:

I can't help but read it as QBark

Lmao it has quotation marks on it.

You cannot prove my legal name is Quark, who is Quark anyway, certainly not me.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Smh no Mellanoid slime dog

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Nah, blacklist all the Maquis. Bunch of Clive Bundy-rear end blood-and-soil weirdos.

Someone really loved those plots. There were at least a couple in TNG, and more in DS9 even outside the Maquis. Oh no, we can't do anything with this moon because there's all of 3 murderous fuckheads on it. Bullshit. There's a bojillion M-class planets around and 90% of the ones that are colonized have like 1000 people on them.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I'd say there's a difference between the 'relative' scale in some individual shots, which is largely up to the director, and the established scale of the ship. The Sovereign being shown as relatively large in a shot in First Contact doesn't change the established/designed size of the model of the ship. I mean if we take that shot as canon, given the relative size of the Defiant, DS9, and the Galaxy-class, the Sovereign is...frankly ridiculous large. It's like taking the Elevator Dimension as canon for the Discovery's size.

it's sorta like how some writers have a better grasp of the scale of space than others. There's a TNG? episode where they talk about how much of a problem it is that something is 50,000 kilometers inside the Cardassian Border and its like lmao what, no. 50,000km is basically touching in space, its almost impossible to even figure out what side of an arbitrary interstellar border two points 50,000km are even on, it's a tiny fraction of a transporters range, etc.

I seem to recall a thing where people decided the TOS enterprise was just too small for what it supposedly had, also.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Star Trek ships are always the size the plot calls for and it’s very silly to make a big deal of it just for SNW.

I mean how many identical but somehow different “types” of Klingon Birds of Prey have they had to invent just because the same model was shot with a completely different scale depending on which movie or show used it?

It's well known that Klingons stole their shipyards from another species and the only control they could figure out was the Scale slider

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I disagree. I think one of Star Trek's strengths has been the strength of its setting and continuity, and that strength is directly correlated to the strength of its fan community. Fans may have different interpretations of the material and take their head/fan canon different places, but they're all ultimately connected back to the same roots. It's what let fan communities proliferate even before the easy communication of the Internet. When you stop giving a poo poo about continuity you start fragmenting your community and fragmenting those connections.

I think a lack of concern for canon and continuity ultimately weakens the setting. I mean, that's how you *get* the Elevator Dimension. I think people who don't care about canon or continuity don't care about things making sense in general. The writer apparently didn't give a poo poo that it made no sense in a spaceship, let alone in Star Trek; the director apparently thought would make the coolest background for their action scene; and not one other person in authority gave enough of a poo poo to say 'No, this is dumb and makes no sense.' The thing is you can get away with not giving a poo poo for a long time, but eventually the lack of guardrails leads you to go completely over the edge.

Which is not to say anyone wants Comic Book Store Guy running the franchise. But it's not actually hard to write stories that make sense and fit into the setting, and then bring those stories to the screen in a way that works. Wrath of Khan was written by a guy who didn't know poo poo about Star Trek and there's lots of minor details that are wrong, but noone cares; the movie's pretty good and the movie makes sense in terms of itself and in terms of Star Trek. Star Trek is in some ways uniquely easy to write for in this regard, being a future where the possibility of technology is almost limitless and godlike powers are canon; that people screw it up anyway is frustrating.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Seemlar posted:

This is probably why they flirted with the half-Romulan thing so often but always ended up dropping it. It was in Savik, Valeris and T'Pols backstories at various points before being axed every time.

Characters having their facades crack or their logic not being infallible is more interesting than "actually it's because they're half Evil Vulcan"

Honestly they went to this well a little too often. Tuvok was best Vulcan because he actually got to be a Vulcan.

well, until he mind melded with the elemental spirit of murder, that wasn't such a great idea buddy.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Eimi posted:

I mostly agree with the set design, but drat it they need to learn what loving carpet is again. I hate my Federation ships with shiny floors. However their uniform design is rear end, they should've just used the Beyond uniforms if they wanted to update the originals.

The actors are all amazing, but the writing is just as loving dumb as Discovery's. It's not better, it's just acted by somehow the most charismatic cast I've seen assembled in a while. It has all the foibles, everyone is super casual, no one speaks or acts professionally, they're all trying to be 'cool', and a lot of the plots are really dumb. As well again, it made the Gorn into loving xenomorphs. It shouldn't get a pass for that.

There's a big structural difference tho. If you don't like a plot in SNW its okay because it ends and they move onto a different plot.

i think a lot of people who like SNW *aren't* giving it a pass on the Gorn thing, but it doesn't kill the show because it wasn't the Gorn Season or anything.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

There was a Voyager book where they happened upon a star cluster with two warring races that had used all their metal to build enormous warships to the point their planets were 'postindustrial' owing to cannibalizing all their stuff to make more ships. They were having some centuries long battle because their guns were godawful. Naturally Voyager kramered into the situation and got people abducted.

The concept blew my mind the first time I read it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

DOOMocrat posted:

Maybe they're teasing some kind of scary overlord rogue intelligence agency, something no Trek show has ever covered before!

Section 31-A

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

First Contact was the only TNG movie that managed a villain that anyone gave a poo poo about.

Star Trek VI: the crowd hooting and hollering in celebration when Chang finally gets a torpedo to the face

Star Trek Nemesis: some guy shouting "Uh oh, better get Maaco!" in the theater and everyone laughing when the Ent-F comedically rams the Cloakyship.

Nemesis writers watching Picard S3 and kicking themselves for not having made Shinzon Picard's secret love child, Jock Crusher.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

No Dignity posted:

Didn't Riker beat a guy to death too?

From Riker's point of view, the guy beat himself to death.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Bajorans on DS9 were very different, there was always the potential for conflict lurking in the background because of the different priorities of Bajor and the Federation. Its the external factors that made the mixed crew interesting. If you plopped Kira in as the first officer of Voyager, she wouldn't be much more compelling than Chakotay - the only conflicts she would have would be almost entirely personality- or preference- based. No Kai Winn plotlines, no lingering scars of occupation plotlines, no grudges with a threatening empire because all that stuff had been left behind in the Alpha Quadrant.

ultimately Chakotay's Maquis were just 'War Crimes Starfleet' so their only role was to be wrong about things. Which works for a few episodes but they have to be right about something for there to be interesting conflicts and tensions.

loving Neelix had more conflict with the crew than the Maquis did, because Neelix had links outside Voyager.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the excelsior ii's neck is ridiculous lol.

you can't sovereignize *everything*'s saucer ...

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i think you will find that according to Gene's vision, people in the future eat such perfect diets they don't even know what making GBS threads is

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

E: dumb post

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

IIRC Melora shows up in the Titan books running Astrometrics and absolutely just zooms around in zero G. Never took that treatment.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

re: raffichat

Raffi just has a very weird fanfic energy. The poo poo that happens to her... Like with Sneed. Raffi's finally kicked her drug habits, but oh no! Now she has to snort space drugs through her eyeballs or the Federation will be destroyed! ... I mean it didnt matter anyway so actually no i guess. It moved the plot backwards even. Weird rear end 24/Star Trek crossover with 3 readers.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Does this make Vadic's boss the Illusive Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It's a little weird to give *yourself* two major references in the same season. IIRC Matalas even already had a Constitution-class starship (the Raritan). He just can't stop making it about him, which seems to jive with his twitter.