Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

In one episode(I forget which) Sisko threatens Quark by saying he'll actually start charging him rent if he doesn't bend the knee. And at least one other time Quark concedes the fact the Federation don't care about rent to be a plus point in their favour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The whole point of those first two seasons is that many Bajorans are hostile and suspicious of the Federation and are worried relying too heavily on them would lead to Bajor falling under the control of another alien power. Like seriously there's at least a dozen episodes were this is explicitly stated.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The major plot thread of the pilot which the Prophets and wormhole tie into is that the Provisional Government (who invited the Federation in) is so weak and unstable that even the Federation thinks they'll probably be kicked out before they've finished cleaning up the station. It takes the Bajoran popes endorsement and Sisko finding the Bajoran Gods and getting made messiah for things to cool down for a bit. And even after all that they still try to kick the Feds out.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

WickedHate posted:

An eagle-eyed viewer might be able to see the wires. A pedant, might be able to see the wires. But I think if you're looking at the wires you're ignoring the story. If you go to a puppet show you can see the wires. But it's about the puppets, it's not about the string. If you go to a Punch & Judy show and you're only watching the wires, you're a freak.

I'll say your a freak, because a Punch and Judy show uses hand puppets, there should be no wires.

:goonsay:

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I don't hate Vic, he's firmly in the does nothing for me category, but what exactly was the point of him? The crew already had a hang out place, and why choose a fifties style Las Vegish rat pack type crooner? And why is Quark okay with losing one of his holosuites to what's essentially competition?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

What makes Threshold so egregious is that from what we see they actually do have a way home. We see that "evolving" into a space lizard takes awhile, and the Doctor has a cure that works pretty drat well, so all they'd have to do is fire up space Nitro's and get to earth and then have the crew report to the Doc for mandatory devolution injections or whatever.

Also Neesus please add this to the OP It's Tuvok dancing for joy when the Voyager kicks Neelix off the ship.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 7, 2016

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Stop kink shaming, remember this is Gene's vision we're talking about. At least try to have some reverence for the great mans legacy.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Grand Fromage posted:

I really liked that since the future would be a different culture and humor crosses cultural lines so badly. Everybody's favorite comedians not being funny whatsoever was great.

Oh you mean how the Federation thought Joe Piscopo was the greatest comedian of all time?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

I don't see what the point of fighting the federation was anyway. If they prevented first contact, then Earth probably wouldn't be as advanced as they were originally and there's no point in assimilating them. The Federation wasn't seeking a fight with the Borg so the Borg could have just ignored the Federation and worked on assimilating other worlds.

I feel this problem could've been easily fixed with a few lines of dialogue about that Borg sphere was going to use that fancy trans warp thing to get back to Borg space, but in preventing them from escaping the Enterprise accidentally sent them both back in time. And the Borg figured assimilating humans four centuries too early would have to be the best they could do.

It would also explain them focussing on Cochrane and his crew of hillbilly rocket scientists, since they were working on the most advanced technology on the planet.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

CobiWann posted:

My co-worker thinks Enterprise is the best series because Archer took names and kicked rear end, while Deep Space Nine was incredibly boring, nothing ever happened, and Sisko's actor was the world's biggest overactor.

I'm experiencing this feeling, I can't quite put into words...

Huh? I know we all have different favourites and dislikes but taking names and kicking rear end? Did he actually watch the show? Archer had his arse handed to him multiple times*, and he also gets slapped around diplomatically and his ship kept getting shredded.

*My personal favourite Archer moment is in the Vulcan monastery episode. The Andorians beat him to a pulp not once but twice, and he still sides with them over the Vulcans at the end of the episode.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 10, 2016

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I thought he requested he be let go for awhile to act in some films but was convinced to stay on because the producers told him they had an important character arc for Wesley and a more prominent role. Only to keep him in the background for the most part.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Ogmius815 posted:

One of the dumbest things about Generations is that it kills off Picard's family from that episode. Generations was all about killing characters terribly I guess.

Edit: what movies was loving Will Wheaton going to do at that point anyway? He didn't grow up that well.

No he didn't but at the time when he was on TNG he was considered a big enough deal to get some offers. Though it didn't pan out for him, he was in the cinematic masterpiece that was the Flubber remake.

He broke new ground as the whiny son of a main character.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

No the two things were completely different. In Voyager they just said the actor was a super advanced hologram (even though we see him drink and eat on Voyager) the DS9 thing was a weird sort of holographic frame the actor stood in.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I've been watching a few episodes of DS9's series one again, since apart from the usual suspects I'm struggling to remember them. They are very rough, I can see why Bashir was very unpopular early on. I watched the body snatcher episode and while competent its not really very tense. They also screw up early on, they try keep the villain a secret until the end but in the scene where they're threatening Quark you can catch their face pretty clearly for a few seconds.

it's possessed Bashir, and its some of the worst acting I've ever seen. every word of dialogue has a weird pause after it "I... don't... think... you're... about... to... risk...the.... life... of... your... good... doctor...."

And Battle Lines, it made me wish we had a few more appearances by Kai Opaka. And it makes what she did in The Collaborator more understandable. The episode itself was pretty uneven, I like how they've been fighting an unending war for so long both tribes have become incredibly apathetic while still saturated with mutual hatred. But it comes across as a bit too silly, I think its a good case study for SF conventions masking the real world themes.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The_Doctor posted:

I'm continuing my DS9 watchthrough (there are huge swathes I've never seen) and I've reached Homefront.

It irks me that in 300 years apparently the New Orleans accent has vanished. Sisko's dad pronounces the city name as 'New OR-leens', rather than the native 'N'awl'ns'. :mad:

This is continuing the weird Trek trend were all French linked accents have become extinct.

And yet weirdly Picard keeps the flames of French nationalism alive for a few seasons

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Duckbag posted:

He wasn't a hologram, that was just a projection.

A hologram is a projection.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

There are like 2-3 of these by my count, so maybe PMs?

It was the one with his own smilie.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Well these guys could use a warm up act.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I had fun with the PS2 game about Sulu and the Excelsior being stuck in the Mirror universe. You got to fly around having dog fights in evil versions of TOS episodes.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Dirty posted:

Yes, I had this, and had totally forgotten until just now. That was a pretty fun game. Shattered Universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVBneHQtock

Takei clearly loving the chance to be Captain Sulu again. He even gets to say the opening monologue.

Yeah Shattered Universe that's the one. It was pretty fun crippling that space Amoeba and disrupting the Tholian web. I also remember a TNG style space fighter game, I only had the demo and it was one of those annoying you only have five minutes to play the game PS1 demo's, so can't recall the name or if it was any good.

Barlow posted:

The Star Trek Insurrection game Hidden Evil however was horrid, basically a poor knock off of Resident Evil. It was supposed to be a direct sequel to the film and had a rather incoherent plot involving the aliens from The Chase hiding a super weapon under the Ba'ku planet.

Oh this one, a mate of mine lent me it, he was in no hurry to get it back, it was just awful. The only interesting thing was that it managed to combine the worst parts of Resident Evil, terrible controls and naff puzzles etc, but didn't balance it with interesting monsters.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I think its hard to top the original costume idea's for Tasha Yar. The production side had agreed on a female security officer early on, but thought it would be a good idea if she wore high heels. Apparently cooler heads prevailed and Denise Crosby got the yellow shirt. This is just a hunch but I think this old costume idea might explain(partly) why doesn't have much to do in and how little she actually moves in her few episodes not involving bridenapping tribals or tar monsters.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 15, 2016

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

I was trying to figure out why I didn't remember anything about the humans on that planet and the Beautiful CIties. Then I checked out the episode and realised they didn't even attempt to show the cities. Not even long shot of a painting. Only Voyager would do something as lovely as that.

I forget was the 37's before or after Neelix hosted a tv show and booked a juggler, but apparently the Voyager production team didn't, so we just got Neelix looking to his left going "wow" for 30 seconds.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

MikeJF posted:

Personally I always imagined that as an Intelligent Cetacean Alien deck rather than actual dolphins. But that's just me fanwanking. Yes, it supposedly had a 'cetacean' deck.

The 80s were weird.

Maybe they kept them around in case they ever ran into the Whale Probe People.

The cetacean thing was planned so they could include trained dolphins on the show, the idea was dreamed up back when the USA was going through a Whale and Dolphin craze, so its a bit like the idea to have bands playing on Enterprise. Though they did come up with a justification for this idea was that dolphins are used to moving like a ship in space so this would be important somehow. Of course the same is true of birds and bees, and bees would help out with that garden Keiko pottered around in and make delicious real honey.

I think you can still see the cetacean deck on some of the Enterprise blueprints. And in Yesterday's Enterprise Picard wants a report from them just before he goes into battle with the Klingons.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Well both fan communities have about the same reputation so its kinda fitting.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Tears In A Vial posted:

The reason I generally dislike Star Trek novels is that they all read like childish fanfiction where you just shoehorn as many references to the canon into one book as possible. The best ones I've found either simply expand on a premise from the show, like the novel set immediately after 'In The Pale Moonlight', or are the ones that are far removed from the canon, but just set in the familiar universe. I hate reading about Kirk fighting the borg alongside janeways grandmother, while mirror universe kira shows up and a horta burns Q while Darth Vader watches.

I thought you were being serious there until I got to the last part. Anyway yeah Trek books can be awful I won't bring up the one I really hate again. I really liked the book that expands on the ending of The Cardassians, thought the ending felt a little trite. One book you should all avoid though is "the art of the impossible" its about that Betraka Nebula incident Garak mentions in Way of the Warrior after he gets ganged up on by six Klingons.

I got it for a penny (with free postage) and I feel cheated. Forget cannon being violated its just really incompetent. The book takes the Klingons side in the squabble but frames the conflict in a way were the Cardies aren't actually doing anything wrong. You might think from that last sentence the novel is trying to be grey or nuanced but trust me that isn't the case. The Cardassians find an uninhabited world that can be used to help with their crippling food shortages, the Klingons attack them and lay claim to the planet as well because there is a crashed Klingon ship. The crew are dead, but because Klingon corpses touched the surface centuries ago the Empire claims it. There's a stand off and both agree to a peaceful arbitration and agree to abide by it, and yet every none cardassian character acts like the scalies are a bunch of mean jerks, for not letting the Klingons take a colony from them out of spite.

I was genuinely baffled reading it,

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

AnxiousApatosaurus posted:

Re: post ST09 Romulan chat: I just watched TNG's Reunification the other night and given that Spock stays on Romulus to assist the movement and the next time we see him is ST09 where he is openly assisting the Romulan government with advanced Federation tech, did reunification succeed?

No but we do see in later episodes that his unification movement grows and spreads to the military so he was making progress. And in stories that came out before 09 the Romulan empire splits for a bit and one of the two factions is more open to the Federation, so he was kinda on the right track there.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

WampaLord posted:

Also, in the episode with the Pakled, Troi goes "Hey, I sense deception from them, we should probably be careful" and Riker goes :smug: "Pfffffffft, whatever. Send over our Chief Engineer."

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

There are people today who rewatch Super Bowls and Stanley Cup playoffs. Why wouldn't someone watch an awesome World Series match on the holodeck?

Archer used to enjoy kicking back to watch vids of whatever the water polo equivalent of the world cup is.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 25, 2016

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Well the original spec for Star Trek was "wagon Train to the Stars" a space version of wagon train, which I understand was largely anthology based. The wagon train of wagon train would just transport settlers and check in on trading posts, while the wagon train crew(?), and the original idea for Star Trek was to have the ship largely visit earth colonies and take experts to important planets.

This idea survived late into the shows development before they decided to focus on episodic story telling and the bridge crew, and have the ship mostly visit alien planets and "where no man has gone before".

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I finished watching the Animated Series, and I really like it. I first saw a couple episodes on Saturday morning as a young child. Shortly after seeing a few episodes of TOS. It was very weird for a child, that and the cheapness of the show, (a couple of times they cropped out the speaking characters mouth with a ridiculously close, close up) I can see why ratings were poor when it first aired.

I will give filmation some credit, while the crew move really poorly, the aliens got a lot more fluid animation work that didn't clash with their freakish non-humanoid designs, well usually. Some of the stories deserved their reputation for weird campy nonsense, like the one with a giant Spock clone, and of course the one where Kirk and crew hang out with the devil (though I really do like the Devil in that episode). And Uhura and Nurse Chapel got a lot more to do. Overall I think its a shame its second series was cut down to six episodes.

Oh and one of the episodes is called Jihad and its about trying to prevent a race of birds from starting a holy war. Nothing much to add to that, it just made me smile.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Sash! posted:

I got to appear in something that was filmed for the 50th anniversary. My neckbeard grew two sizes, just like the Grinch's heart.

Cool, any details, or has the iron fist of CBS got you under some kind of bind?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Railing Kill posted:

ENT's "The Andorian Incident" sure did end with a biggest "gently caress you" about the Vulcans since "Take Me Out to the Holosuite." What a bunch of lying, conniving, self-righteous space elves.

Also: Jeffery Combs as one of the Andorians. Hell yeah.

You ain't seen nothing yet mate. There's several more gently caress the Vulcans episodes to go. I really like that episode though, Archer and his crew are held hostage by weird blue people he's never seen before. One of them makes rapish comments about his science officer, and they beat him across a room twice. And he still sides with them over his own allies because they committed the crime of spying on a hostile power that their in some weird sort of cold war with.

I don't want to spoil anything for you but that there's a follow up to this episode and it wants the audience to hate the Vulcans for retaliating, but their retaliation is the mildest form of diplomatic protest ever.

Also Andorian Combs was going to be a series regular when Enterprise got cancelled.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The Andorians did not respect the holy site at all, sending armed troops into a church to hold the clergy hostage and then beating and threatening dome of them isn't respectful. They were lucky that Archer stumbled upon to conspiracy and validated their suspicions. If you want to take a conventions of war line then even though the episode didn't because we don't know what the conventions and treaties between the two are, it doesn't change anything because torturing prisoners is a far greater violation then hiding a reconnaissance base.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Railing Kill posted:

What the Vulcans did is not unlike what the Russians did/are doing in Crimea: disguising arms shipments as humanitarian aid. It's just a step up from using literal human shields, as the Assad regime does in Syria currently. In short, it is a bad move that's been done for ages, and its evil as hell.

What? It's not even remotely similar, you couldn't have picked a more different scenario if you tried. Its a spy base that's been hidden on their own territory with the spies posing as monks. It's like Bletchley park, a spy base disguised as an historic estate, and the spies posing as clerical workers. Yes the Vulcans were lying, but that's because its pointless having a monitoring system if the other side know its there. What point in the episode did they talk about the Vulcans stashing weapons there? Its not even a supply depot. The possible way the Vulcans are bad guys in that episode was if that base was connected to some sort of battle fleet just waiting to launch a pre-emptive strike on a defenceless Andoria but that wasn't in the episode broadcast in the UK.

Are you guys seriously that naïve that you can't comprehend why someone would want to monitor a nation that poses a threat to them, and has repeatedly violated its territory?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

WickedHate posted:

You're not supposed to shoot medics, but if a medic picks up a gun, that's fair game. For this reason, you can't paint red crosses on trucks carrying weapons or whatever. It's pretty simple. Don't disguise military targets as civilians.

Yeah that only applies in an actual war. Its pretty simple attacking an air craft carrier is fair game but only in a state of war, you can't just have a submarine pop into the dock and sink it because its military hard ware, and you don't like that nations government.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 6, 2016

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

A planet has an ancient holy site staffed by a holy order, and its not there territory? That just isn't how that works mate, if they're on the planet its theirs. At best the Andorians can refuse to recognise their claim, but that would just be diplomatic grandstanding like the world not recognising Turkish Cyprus because the reality is that the planet is occupied by the Vulcans.

But then there beef with the Vulcans would be the existence of the temple because that is what's giving the Vulcans a foothold on a planet very close to their homeworld, never mind what they might be hiding in the cellar. Unless those monks did a Maquis and renounced their citizenship there a de facto Vulcan colony.

quote:

If the planet were an actual part of Vulcan controlled space, it would have been protected with ships and troops, and the Andorian incursions would have been serious acts of war. That it was left undefended implies it was relying on a special status with the Andorians, that the Vulcans abused.

Why would it be defended if its supposed to be an innocent retreat for a handful of monks? Unless it has strategic value it would be illogical to commit resources to defend it surely.
Seems like a pretty good way to draw attention to something that's supposed to be a secret.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

eth0.n posted:

That's not how territory really works. A tiny outpost on an otherwise unclaimed planet does not imply the entire planet belongs to Vulcans. The first settlement on the American continents did not claim the whole thing.

Because you defend your territory. That's what makes it yours. If you don't defend it, it isn't yours by any standard that matters.

If it were inside their territory, it might be defended by a border elsewhere. But the planet was clearly a border world.

No it really is, unless someone else has a counterclaim on another part of a territory the claim is for all vacant territory, or as much as the colonists want to claim. This is literally how Imperialism worked in Africa. A small settlement used to make a claim on a vast territory, and once that was done a slow process of expansion and exploitation. Belgian troops did not occupy every square kilometre of the Congo wen King Leopold established the colony.
Your example isn't applicable because most of the world that was colonised wasn't actually empty, and yes sometimes they were used as an excuse to gobble up the whole thing. Most carribbean islands were declared totally under the control of the coloniser after the first port was established. The only exceptions were when more then one power established itself at the same time, like the island of Hispaniola.

And no, ownership is not dependent upon military force. If that were the case Costa Rica wouldn't exist since it has no military. Neither do many island states and yet there claims aren't often aren't disputed. You defend a territory when you have a reason to defend it not because its "yours" that's a massive waste of resources.

Trent posted:

It's a power thing. The ancient Vulcans sent out a monk colony, but they don't have the ability to project enough force there to protect it. The Andorians do, so it is within their sphere of influence. It has nothing to do with just being there or people could just sneak into enemy territory and set up camp and be all like "sorry this is our territory now get out" which is silly.

Huh? that isn't silly that's an occupation. It happens all the time.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Trent posted:

I knew Quarks was on the inside curve of the ring, my issue was with the implication that it was basically the entirety of the inside curve. It's still the biggest thing on the promenade, though, apparently.

A bunch of monks in a monastery in an otherwise vacant area does not fit the typical definition of "an occupation"

Actually it does, to occupy something means to take control of it through physical force. And no that doesn't automatically mean military force, it means physical presence. Every year French fisherman occupy an island in the channel that is British territory. Usually the authorities wait them out or send the police to evict them. If the fisherman stayed and the authorities couldn't be bothered to evict them that time they would be occupying that territory. Also Eretz Israel was founded by Jewish farmers occupying land to establish agriculture communes in Palestine, and usually against the wishes of their neighbours. Eventually this coalition of Kibbutz and villages grew into the nation state of Israel.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Well the station was designed as a slave labour camp in space. Really the only commerce should have been the garrison and a few bureaucrats and wealthy collaborators. Not much call for anything else apart from a bar and a mess hall. Most of the rest of the population were disposable slaves who seem to have been crammed in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Duckbag posted:

I hope you're not implying that force wasn't involved in that one. The founding of Israel is basically settler colonialism 101 and wouldn't have been possible if the ruling power (the UK) hadn't supported the endeavor.

No, but not every part of the original Eretz Israel was founded by militaristic conflict. In many early cases they were formed by collective action by agricultural labourers joining up there plots and buying up extra land, often pressuring their neighbours to go along with it through a host of means. The violent campaigns came later when they were able to form armed groups and believed they had an opportunity at establishing a full nation state.