Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Cojawfee posted:

Did Shatner actually write those books or did he just come up with an idea and have that husband and wife write it?

Tighclops posted:

This one time years ago I saw him on Conan promoting some new Tek War book he wrote and as soon as he said "Tek War" the audience laughed at him and he was sort of pissy for the rest of the interview

I also remember him going on Conan once (maybe the same one) where they asked him about his Star Trek novels and what collaboration was like with his co-authors. Shat basically said something to the effect of, "basically I go over to their place and hang out on the couch while they write." I never once believed that was an exaggeration in the slightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

It would have been pretty loving ballsy to end a movie by sending the entire original series crew to their deaths.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I don't if it's maybe because people are just used to the idea of these reboots now, but this is the most positive buzz I've heard from a Star Trek movie from the actual fanbase in a long time.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Drone posted:

So I decided to make a list of subtle fanservice callback moments but my memory is already somewhat fuzzy after sleeping on it. Wonder if anyone else caught them / see if maybe I'm chasing ghosts:

I definitely didn't notice the sounds but I think maybe I've just seen so much Trek I just process that subconsciously as "yep, that's what a hologram is supposed to sound like."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Gonz posted:

Beyond also has the most practical usage of a universal translator ever depicted in Star Trek.

It doesn't try to handwave away the weirdness of alien species speaking english from the get-go.

I dug Elba's performance too when it came to the dialect in the beginning, really giving a good impression IMO of an intelligent alien sounding out a foreign tongue.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Really digging the new 1701-A. We should be getting a closer look at it this weekend, as I suspect it's one of the surprises Eaglemoss will be showing off.

I bet it will grow on me like the last one, though personally I had my fingers crossed for more of a TOS movies throwback than a TOS show throwback. Strikes me as similar to some fan art of what people were hoping the reboot-prise was going to be when 09 was announced.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

So it's coming out a lot of people think Krall was slightly underwritten (a minor critique in an otherwise pretty awesome movie IMO), but nonetheless I feel the need to ask if there is something I'm missing with his motivation. So he's an ex-soldier who resents the Federation for abandoning him and just wants to commit genocide for non-specific revenge? Is that all? Was there more of an agenda or a point to prove?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I thought the same thing. Between that, the TOS musical cues that kept popping up, and the rogue captain villain, Beyond really does feel like a modern episode of TOS. And I mean that in the best possible way.

That reminds me, I loving loved the TOS ]vibe of the fight cues between Kirk and Krall early on. It was classic Kirk vs. a lizard man stuff.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

She and Scotty could maybe have a thing, but it would have to be a three-way with the ship.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Since it looks like TOS or pre-TOS I'm hoping it's just another flat-out different timeline, without any time travel stuff to try and explain. Just say you're doing you're own new version of Star Trek, own your own vision of the future, and be done with it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Aw, man.

Seriously, though, in my opinion I'm hungry for a Star Trek that does that TOS and TNG did in the sense of taking the science we know now and imagining where it could go. A vision of the future relevant to today's audience. It seems like at some point you have to let go of cannon that started fifty years ago in order to do that.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

eth0.n posted:

My guess: the Discovery is a Federation-Klingon joint venture, and much of the show will focus on how two fundamentally different cultures and ideologies can cooperate and understand one another.

Essentially, an allegory for Western liberal democracy vs Middle Eastern islamism, in the tradition of TOS's cold war allegories, TNG's environmental and social issues allegories, and ENT's terrorism allegory.

For era, post Undiscovered Country, pre-TNG makes the most sense canonically. Although the registry number points towards pre-TOS, which could work, but then we'd know whatever understanding's reached would only be temporary.

If it's post-Voyager, I don't see the allegory working. By then, the Federation and Klingons have had strong relations for a long time.

That would fit in with the "multiple crews" announcement.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

It's me. I'm the guy who actually quite likes the Discovery design.

When I squint my eyes and try to imagine it with better rendering I can see how it may not be THAT bad. I actually like what they're doing with that groove in the saucer. The stardrive is ugly as gently caress, though, no way around it.

My theory now is that the nod to lost 70's-era Trek design is because they're setting it in that particular lost era: post 5-year-mission, pre-TMP.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

It's the first of the new films that let them just BE the crew instead of hitting us over the head with a bunch of forced conflict amongst them. I really didn't realize how much I've just plain missed having a functioning Star Trek family on the screen, and how the last few movies have not scratched that itch.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

qntm posted:

I have this problem with popular ensemble films in general these days. A bunch of people just working together without friction is one of the things I like best in movies.

Despite its mediocrity, that is one of the things I liked about Ghostbusters 2016, too. Like, they all meet and get along great (mostly) and become great friends at the end of the movie. All these origin stories and team-up movies the last decade seemed fixated on milking cheap drama out of the coming-together of the group, with the explanation of "We've got to show the rough origins of the team" and all that. Like, that's fine but plenty of people get along from the get-go in real life, too. Sometimes you just want to see a fun team.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I'm starting to think more people like the Enterprise references more than the Enterprise show

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

This is coming from the series that brought us "A black hole just opened up in orbit around the earth, but everything is fine since we used momentum to escape from it."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

McNally posted:

I don't remember a black hole opening near the Earth in any Star Tracks.

The climax of ST '09

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaXzku3aSho

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Well here's the thing though. Let's just assume that you're right and new is better etc etc. Why does McCoy react like he's seeing a sasquatch when he sees Spock laugh in Beyond? Hey, a super emotional guy had yet another emotional outburst, whatever. Urban played it much more like he was seeing Nimoy's Spock crack up-- like he was seeing something out of character. So is Quinto loving up his characterization or is Urban? Before you answer, keep in mind that Urban is completely flawless in these movies.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

NuSpock has had emotional outbursts after 1) watching his mother fall to her death as his home planet is destroyed, 2) after his captain/friend dies saving the ship, and 3) after eulogizing his mentor and future self as he's bleeding to death on a deserted planet after his ship is destroyed. I don't think any of that is out of character. For that last one, McCoy even says that it's a sign Spock is getting delirious from his injuries.

It is literally the first time we've seen this iteration of Spock, well, LAUGH.

Even if he has been an emotion case all three movies, he's usually been a super serious one.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I love the whole "possessed Bones" in the bar sequence in III.

;-* "What's your poison doc?"
:confused: :raise: "To expect one to order poison in a bar is... not logical."

"What's the logic in offering me a ride home, you idiot? If I wanted a ride home would I be trying to charter a space flight?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

I just love the fact that Guinan apparently has a direct comms line to the bridge, and she can call them up whenever she feels like chatting.

Supposedly according to "The Neutral Zone" anyone can call anyone anywhere on the ship at any time but we're all expected to behave like adults and not abuse the privilege.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I hope they are making the new series Netflix-style in terms of just shooting straight through a season arc and not giving the producers any chance to retool the show partway through.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I managed to google what the "H on clothing" stood for and figured it out. Has this brand recently exploded or is it just a bias that I'm suddenly noticing it a lot more? Reading up on it, it claims to wick sweat away and be comfortable for sports in some special or novel way. I'm guessing most people buy it for the brand and not their needs as high performing athletes, because I'm mostly seeing it on dumpy middle aged white dudes.

Dude, Under Armor (or any other similar fabric-- there's a bunch of them) in hot weather is the bomb. Looking fake athletic is just an added perk.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

My head-cannon was always that the Queen (in First Contact, anyway) was supposed to be an embodiment of the collective in individual form. Like some sort of experiment in creating an individual form for the hive mind that ran concurrent with the Locutus episode.

Then Voyager kind of hosed with that by having her give verbal orders to drones implying she was just some sort of big boss woman Borg.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

If I recall correctly, they were really hoping to get Shatner to play Chef as an ancestor of Kirk.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Sash! posted:

Not really, because you say it all over again:

Riker: Hey, remember how that Admiral I used to work for came over to visit and back in the old days we lost that ship we were on?
Troi: Yeah.
Riker: Well, here's the deal: there was actually a mutiny on board because it was a black project to develop a Federation cloaking device and now we might have found the missing ship, so I'm a little worried about what's going to happen because that poo poo is totally illegal.
Troi: And you're not sure what to do because you're split between loyal to the law and loyalty to a man you respect?
Riker: Plus I was sort of on the Evil Admiral's side at the time, so I'm not sure if I broke the law.
Troi: Huh, tough one there. There's a time, way back at the beginning of the Federation that was very similar. Maybe spend some time exploring it in the holodeck and see what insight you get?
Riker: Neat, I'll try not bone someone in it too, maybe!

Since they have to exposit the problem Riker is pondering anyway, I don't know why they didn't just come up with a whole new dilemma in the Enterprise-E era he could wrestle with. Avoid the problem of fat Riker and maybe even, I dunno, write it as a dilemma that in some way actually has parallels to the main plot.

I mean, I liked "The Pegasus" but it's not like that was some beloved classic episode. If I didn't read beforehand "These Are the Voyages" was pulling from it I probably wouldn't have even identified the reference.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I dunno, how long has it been since someone said something that silly?

Well...

WickedHate posted:

I kind of wish they did do the "hot new band plays in the mess hall every week" thing just because of how balls crazy that would have been.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Agreed, but still;

Make a new conflict for Riker that doesn't require the audience to ignore how fat Frakes had gotten in the ten years since The Pegasus aired.

Reeling from Data's death, Riker looks to the past to see how-- faced with Trip's similar tragedy-- Captain Archer learned to cope with his own eating disorder.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I vote for Blink of an Eye.

Yeah, second. It's pretty Star-Trekky.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I agree on a lot of that. I also kind of think there was a missed opportunity to build on the characters and their backstories as they were originally introduced, particularly with Picard and Crusher. I like-- at least in theory-- all the melodrama surrounding Jack Crusher's death, the love triangle, and Wesley Crusher kind of becoming the surrogate son Picard never wanted. Sometimes I think it would be interesting to see a reboot following through on those elements as an arc without the disappearing/re-appearing actress and rainbow-colored sweaters.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Rhyno posted:

It was like that on Netflix when they had it.

That's funny, when I watched it on Netflix last I was specifically waiting for that scene to see how horrible the change was and the flashbacks never came.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Lord Hydronium posted:

The best use of the Prime Directive is First Contact (the episode, not the movie), which I think serves as a nice mission statement for Star Trek and what the Federation is supposed to represent overall.

Also, "Who Watches the Watchers" IMHO.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

nerdman42 posted:

Now I'm just wondering how well Arrested Development quotes would go with Trek.

Lore: Heyyyyyyy brother.

\
I don’t want no part of yo’ tired rear end country club, ya freak bitch!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Franklin - Mr. Tricorder

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"Disabled people aren't just broken people and can have culture that's worth recognising" isn't exactly an outrageous claim.

There is an identification factor - if the disabled person doesn't actually have the disability then that's hardly someone you can identify with. For a non-disability example, it'd be like saying it's ok for all the characters in sci fi to be men because gender changing is easy in the future

Counterpoint: humans were actually intended by nature to hear and see, not necessarily to all have penises.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Duckbag posted:

I kinda hate TNG Klingons because they're mostly dumb as rocks and ludicrously one-note. Every TOS/movies Klingon was a little different, but their defining features were pride, cunning, and ruthlessness -- usually in that order. They make fantastic villains because there's a lot of old-school tragedy inherent in their personalities. The very same qualities that make them so formidable and dangerous also wind up being their undoing. Worf couldn't really be cunning or ruthless and a good guy at the same time (though they tried from time to time), so all that was really left was the pride, which was repurposed into this monomaniacal obsession with honor. I think valuing honor fits with who the Klingons are, but making it the cornerstone of their society always felt wrong to me. They also fell into the trap of making the Klingons be good guys (sort of), but still trying to use them as villains, which meant that their whole culture comes off as schizophrenic and tainted by a pretty serious show vs. tell discrepancy.

All the TNG klingon villains are utterly un-Worflike (IE without honor), but they don't really have the qualities that made TOS Klingons compelling, either. The Duras aren't proud, they're treacherous cowards who are really just toadies for the Romulans. They aren't cunning because most of their plans are idiotic and short-sighted. And as for ruthlessness, they do a lot of bad poo poo, but it's mostly half-measures and manipulations. Meanwhile, the rest of the Klingons, who have supposedly grown since the TOS era, bend over backwards to accommodate this pack of selfish, dangerous idiots when they really don't need to. It's all just "wah wah their family is too powerful" and it's bullshit. Later on, they at least acknowledged that all this talk of honor was mostly just talk, but that's not really the part I have a problem with.

Of course Klingon honor is just bullshit (to everyone but Worf), but if they're not honorable like Worf and they don't have the qualities that made TOS Klingons so formidable, what the hell do they have going for them? A love of battle? Except for during the civil war, the TNG Klingons didn't even have anyone to fight. What's the point of all this robes and swords metal album crap anyway? Do they just drink and listen to opera and have tournaments and hang out at weird cloning monasteries all day? Doesn't anyone in the "Empire" have a real loving job? Seriously, don't they do anything besides fight, party, and talk about Kahless? Is that why they murder each other at the drop of a hat -- because they're bored out of their skulls?

The whole thing is just so shallow and trite and pointless and if it weren't for crazy-eyes Gowron and a couple other decent guest stars I'd be tempted to write off TNG Klingons entirely.

I think it would be cool if they expanded the "empire" idea by showing conquered, enslaved races doing all the honorless paper-pushing and science type jobs.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

If they ever do post-Voyager Trek, I would kind of love to see a new version of the Borg... take the idea of Locutus to an extreme, where they try to create a more personable face to the Collective... and now they sell people on the idea of assimilation instead of forcing it on people. What would the Federation do if people were willingly joining the Borg because of their new friendlier sales pitch?

"Join the Collective! You will never be lonely again, and you get a free ocular implant!"

Work as a drone by day, escape to Unimatrix Zero at night! It can't be much worse than working a 9-5!

They're supposed to be able to adapt to anything... I think this would be a sensible adaptation after all of their encounters with humans. They take a page out of the Federation's playbook, basically.

That could actually bring scary back to the Borg.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Duckbag posted:

If the borg had started out in a movie, where directors call the shots, I think they would have had a bit more visual flair to start with. They did become much more dynamic looking in First Contact (budgets help), but, by then, their basic look was pretty well established.

I remember reading that had they the budget, the Borg were supposed to be an insectoid race and the inside of their ships were supposed to basically be big beehives.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Duckbag posted:

I did like that they started using more foreheads as borg as it went on, but it's sort of a shame they didn't do more with that in terms of makeup. Latex, plus whiteface, plus lots of weird black metal bits means that the drones all tend to have this neutral appearance. It conveys the assimilation idea, but it also makes it super hard to tell what their original species is supposed to be and the prevalence of a certain type of extra among the borgs (stone-faced white guys), meant that the insane diversity of their origins never really came across.

I think the first generation black-and-white Borg you just described were from a time when the Borg may have been intended to all be the same species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Voyager is pretty entertaining sometimes as a lame-trombone Star Trek comedy/parody.