Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

After The War posted:

Looking at the Wikipedia page, besides reminding me that I religiously read the TNG and DS9 books in the 90s and retained almost nothing, led me to two books on Amazon:
Star Trek: A Comics History and New Life and New Civilizations: Exploring Star Trek Comics but no good web references.

And since I just drunk-bought the complete TNG blu-rays, I should probably hold off on additional Star Trek purchases for a while.

The first one looks interesting but I'm not gonna pony up $40 for a curiosity. I wish there was a cheap and easy way to read the terrible Marvel and Wildstorm issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

After The War posted:

One of the reviews for that book hipped me to this site!

http://www.startrekcomics.info

The summaries are super brief, but they seem to have all the cover art.

Watch out, Riker! It's a g-g-g-ghost!

Thanks amigo!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, DS9, Our Man Bashir is either the very best or very worst episode of the series and I can't decide which.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Where does it rank among all holodeck episodes?

I can't decide!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mukaikubo posted:

When faced with a choice like this, I tend to ask: "Did the cast visibly enjoy doing this?" If so- as is clearly the case for Our Man Bashir- it is one of the very best.

Nana Visitor was clearly having more fun than anyone else. Her hammy accent is amazing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mister Kingdom posted:

She's great at hamming it up. Check her out in the Night Court episode "Educating Rhoda".

She's the only saving grace of the MU episodes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm closing in on the end of Season 4 of DS9 and there's quite a few episodes I don't remember, O'Brien going to mind-prison for 20 years being one in particular. It's really nice to find unknown parts of the show (to me) after all this time when I thought I'd seen every episode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

How do you forget the ultimate gently caress O'Brian, Seriously, Let's Just Ruin His poo poo episode?

I didn't forget it, I somehow never saw it!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thexerox123 posted:

I hope this becomes public knowledge so that people at cons are constantly taking pictures of him in defiance. Cause anyone who just refuses to pay or delete them, what's he gonna do?

I think it is public knowledge, he was at WizardWorld Indy last year and people were defiantly taking pictures with him in the background.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just got back from Beyond, loved it. There is a scene towards the end that caught me off guard and I absolutely teared up. You'll all know what I'm talking about once you see it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gonz posted:

That whole scene was very touching and kicked me right in the nuts.

My girlfriend has never seen any of the TOS era Trek films so she only vaguely understood why I had a tear running down my face.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kazinsal posted:

Oh, that came out today?

I genuinely had no idea.

Movies no long open on Fridays.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Proper nacelles belong ABOVE the saucer section.

It's Richard Hatch, does anything this man does shock anyone these days?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Robutt posted:

I love the Akira design. What a beautiful little starship.

I've been thinking a little more about STB - was there some technobabble I missed that would explain how the swarm managed to take down the Enterprise so quickly? Their en masse ramming manoeuvre was really cool but there must have been some incidental dialogue about 'shields out of phase' or something right?

Yes, they do verbally point out why that happens so quickly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I believe the 50th anniversary panel starts in about two minutes and goes for an hour. We should be getting some announcements very very soon.

This is seriously the best SDCC as far as trailers and announcements in a long time. I am marking the gently caress out right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did anyone else notice that the little device looked a lot like a Guyver unit?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That ship design

:barf:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Jesus, that's an ugly ship. Looks like they drew inspiration from Ralph McQuarrie's rejected design from Planet of the Titans.

I thought it was familiar. Gross.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So to change gears a little bit, has there ever been an in universe write up on all the changes made to the Enterprise during the refit?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

STB opened around $60 million, which is I think slightly above what the studio expected

I read it was projected at $55 million.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Maqui had Federation built fighters that were roughly the size of Runabout, those ships from BoBW weren't all that much smaller. Hell even shuttlecraft can do low warp and have shields.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the new show's title will be shortened to STD.

Somebody's gettin' fired for that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's going to be STD. CBS will do everything they can do undo this but it's too late.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ZShakespeare posted:

Anyone noticed yet that the Discovery design is clearly derived from the abandoned Star Trek Phase II 1977 concept?

Absolutely no one has posted about this at least 20 times.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DOMDOM posted:

Can I post about how the CGI looked worse than babylon 5 in 1994?

Absolutely.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There were meetings but Lucasfilm flexed their muscles to keep Trek out of the LEGO empire.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tighclops posted:

I hope you're joking because this is actually pretty much what happened to kill off the classic Lego Space subthemes and if this is true also

I've never trusted Star Wars and I never will
I'll never forgive them for the death of my toys

It was stated a lot on the LEGO sites some years back. SW is a proven cash cow and LF didn't want Paramount to get their fingers into that. And now with Disney in control I expect it won't change. There's some behind the scenes poo poo going on where Disney wanted all the DC properties cut out of LEGO Dimensions but since WB owns the company that makes the games thee's no way it would happen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nitrousoxide posted:

That was when Disney was trying to do their own toys to life thing. With them cancelling their video games division we'll probably see more games and toys for star wars

They never slowed down on the actual Lego Star Wars toys. And it's still very unlikely that any Disney owned characters will appear alongside WB owned ones.

DS9 5x17 - Odo had sex with a lady and when she pressed him about how shape shifters have sex he made his shifting noise and she started moaning.

Deep Space Nine is DIRTY.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The warped away and it's not clear how far away the Jellyfish is when it drops out of warp.

Edit: Jake Sisko suuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 28, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

armoredgorilla posted:

"I'd give real money if he'd shut up."

I love that entire sequence. Nimoy and Kelley were so good together.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jerry Doyle was a goddamned rear end in a top hat but Garibaldi was such a great character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

How was he an rear end in a top hat?

Do a google search for "Jerry Doyle politics."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Angry Salami posted:

Babylon 5's cast seems to be dying off faster than TOS's. At this point, I wouldn't be suprised if Walter Koenig ended up the last one standing...

Bestor always had a contingency plan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I seem to recall hearing that at one point he was going around telling people that the reason Michael O'Hare left was because he got fired for alcoholism.

I attended a B5 convention (it was tiny) in the late 90's and he went on a massive anti-woman rant during a panel so there's also that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo, Iggy Pop Vorta!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And people say the Ferengi episodes are bad :jerkbag:

Eh, he was the high point of the episode. The rest was pretty forgettable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

2) Is it true that Gene Roddenberry wanted the Ferengi to have giant dong's that required massive codpieces to house them and that they were meant to be great lovers? I've seen it mentioned on Memory Alpha but its only source is an obscure magazine article. Is it documented anywhere else?

The original premise of the Magnificent Ferengi was going to involve the theft of Rom's enormous dick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't like Vic Fontaine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Deep Space Nine 6x22 "the Valiant."

Every one of these Red Squad assholes needs to die horribly by the end of this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ. The scene where they just chant Red Squad over and over again. This is the closest I've come to skipping ahead while watching.