Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

I've always assumed that Parrises Squares involves a zero-gravity room with moving wall panels.

Like the battle room from Ender's Game but with lacrosse sticks or something instead of laser guns.

edit:
it's probably this:

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The honor is contained in the skull ridges, and you can tell how honorable a Klingon is by the pattern of ridges. Smooth-headed Klingon augments were without honor, which is why they are not discussed.

Klingon phrenology.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

Easy. The shot in Birthright takes place at a different time, perhaps a few hours later, at which point DS9 has rotated so that Bajor is behind the camera rather than in front of it. :colbert:
Definitely this. It's almost like they put the line in Season 7 just to explain this. There is really no reason for DS9 to rotate that I can imagine, but Ezri says she can feel it rotating in the space sickness episode.

Data Graham posted:

(((Bajorans)))
lol
also (((Ferengi))) etc

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

At least I've never met anyone who likes ENT the best.

Small parts of ENT might be the best, but as a series? Heck no.

My irrational dreams of season five, however, get close.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

The STO playerbase were given a choice of what series to make the next expansion based off of. They overwhelmingly voted voyager.

Never played it, but VOY does seem the most pew-pew friendly of the bunch I suppose.

I need some quantum slipstream batmobile armor in my holographic borg nanolung unimatrix!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

The whole Jadzia/Worf relationship was probably the weakest aspect of DS9.

Nah, pretty much everything Jadzia ever did before that was far weaker.

cenotaph posted:

The worst thing about DS9 is that by the end this massive interstellar war is being run by like three or four people in a couple of little rooms. It just starts to feel kind of cheap.

Yeah, a little bit this. I guess DS9 became sort of the front line, but one Admiral and a captain being in charge of what feels like everything seemed far too contrived. Then again, the station crew also being the Defiant crew was contrived as gently caress, but I love the Defiant, so whatever

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cenotaph posted:

The redressed walk-in closet the Dominion was running their campaign from bothered me more.

Well, deployments and battle lines in Trek have always been simplified and basically silly in a lot of ways. They seemed to have enough screens with insignia on them (and a gigantic DS9 logo since that is the hero ship defunct mining facility) but yeah, when Sisko was on Cardassia Prime, there was a big war room and then there's like two guys and a breen chilling in a tiny room.

Maybe the Dominion just thinks differently than we do - it's already evidenced by their lack of viewscreens on ships and shoulder head-mounted eyepieces and stuff. It may be more compartmentalized or just set up that way because there is only one Founder available and she is paranoid about Cardassians.

Or it's just crap. For me, nonsensical things aliens do just makes them alien, and I assume that it must make sense in some alien way. I'm much more annoyed when the humans (and other nearly human federation types) do things that seem to make no sense, like have a fleet of ships with multiple admirals and multiple GROUPS of Galaxy class ships being commanded by a dude who just made Captain like a year ago, and he has his LJG Ship's Counselor order them around on a side panel.

And when they splitscreen to KAPLAA at each other and the Feds get two guys and the Klingons get one guy and we're supposed to not think about the fact that a third of the fleet is Romulan.

I still love it all to death, though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gammatron 64 posted:

if Sisko was the one yelling "BLOW UP THE drat SHIP PICARD!"

:gowron:

The Sisko might have just kicked Picard's rear end at that point, if he was really endangering the whole future.

I wonder how the Prophets feel about time travel like that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

There is a time travel orb.
It's really not clear that it was more than a time-viewing orb, or at most a closed predestination paradox orb.

Time travel with The Sisko is even more of a problem than other people because he's part Wormhole Alien. I guess the Prophets always knew he was Gabriel Bell all along.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Leonardo da Vinci, finally a Holodeck character more annoying than Vic Fontaine.

Professor Salah "Gimli" Arturo da Vinchi is OK, as holodeck characters go.

Also, Vic is awesome. Maybe YOU are a bad holodeck character.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Were they still doing replicator rations when Fair Haven came around or had they just forgotten about it entirely?

Yes, but the holodeck uses a separate power source totally incompatible with any other system, even for starfleet engineers that can make replicators from rocks and even on a ship that successfully integrates totally alien technology multiple times.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phobeste posted:

Just a quick post to remind you that DS9 is Best Trek, even pre-beard.

Q punch is pre-beard.

Checks out.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
People are actually closer than they appear, and you are seeing projections of them looking further away. The ball is holographic, so the computer can compensate. Also, when you run, the floor is temporarily a treadmill.

It works. Barely.

"There's a hater, what do I do?"
FIND HIM AND KILL HIM

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Computer, create a negatively curved 4-dimensional non-euclidian space. And hot dogs.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

What a way to start a page. Found in the depths of the internet.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Baka-nin posted:

A planet has an ancient holy site staffed by a holy order, and its not there territory? That just isn't how that works mate, if they're on the planet its theirs. At best the Andorians can refuse to recognise their claim

It's a power thing. The ancient Vulcans sent out a monk colony, but they don't have the ability to project enough force there to protect it. The Andorians do, so it is within their sphere of influence. It has nothing to do with just being there or people could just sneak into enemy territory and set up camp and be all like "sorry this is our territory now get out" which is silly.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Other than being on the inside of the curve, what gives the impression that Quark's is at the center of the station? I never got that impression.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I knew Quarks was on the inside curve of the ring, my issue was with the implication that it was basically the entirety of the inside curve. It's still the biggest thing on the promenade, though, apparently.

Baka-nin posted:

Huh? that isn't silly that's an occupation. It happens all the time.
A bunch of monks in a monastery in an otherwise vacant area does not fit the typical definition of "an occupation"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

My interpretation is that Sisko may be less human than he thinks, and due to possibly millennia of genetic manipulation and immaculate conceptions, the Prophets created their Emissary, a being who exists in non-linear time, but experiences it linearly. Benny Russell is just the incarnation we see, but I'd wager that the Sisko goes even further back, and that in every era the Sisko appears in a new name. Each time he gets closer and closer to being able to accomplish their goals, but since he can't transcend his linear time-line, he's stuck reliving these various lives until at last he is born into a position capable of making contact with the Wormhole.

You could actually even take it further--since the Prophets have now been seen to have effect on Earth and its peoples, maybe all of OUR religions were as similarly inspired as Bajor's was. The Ark of the Covenant could have stored an orb. They could have appeared in visions to Joshua Sisko, who'd be later known as Jesus...

...okay, I'll stop there.

This would explain why Gabriel Bell is the Sisko and it didn't alter the timeline one single bit. Gabriel Bell was always the Sisko.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mulaney Power Move posted:

wish i had a chin butt like that

Seems hard to shave.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Can we just have a whole page dedicated to how awesome Damar was?

Damar's great.

I'm down. Damar was awesome. I want to ask him what a yamok is.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Hopefully Netflix releases how many US subscribers type "star trek discovery" into their search with no results.

I would search it ten times per day if I thought it would help

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Doesn't the turbolift shaft in STV go up to like 70 or something?

Yes, but every scene not involving camping is bad, so

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Meh, that moment is good. The whole idea is still sort of dumb and bad. I guess I can give it a pass.

Good response, though, I must admit.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WickedHate posted:

Voyager actually tends to rank above DS9 among the average joe fan, so yes.

Hey, at the time it was airing, and with only the first couple pre-dominion seasons going on, I was in agreement that DS9 wasn't proper Trek because it was a stationary doughnut in space rather than a ship going boldly.

I was wrong, but it's not an uncommon or hard to understand viewpoint.

I also think first season impressions of Mulgrew v Brooks lean her way. The Sisko becomes awesome, but sort of because Brooks somehow manages to pull off his outrageous level of Shatnering.

edit: with only a thumbnail sketch of Voyager's premise, it should be the best Trek, dammit. What a loving waste.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

Question - how many people, even knowing the shows lacked consistent quality, watched Voyager and Enterprise from beginning to end?

I would have but I lost track of Enterprise during a moving / big changes / no TV time in my life.

I've watched every series several times. There are likely some season 3 TOS eps I've seen only once. I have seen most of TAS only once.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't understand why anyone likes girthy pylons

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

This in a Star Trek thread.

How many different space-wheelchairs have there been? Two at the very least.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sash! posted:

No, but they do have mass and that matters.

It really only matters to a federation starship when poo poo has already seriously hit the fan. In any normal situation it wouldn't matter a bit.

I guess it matters if you want the ship to land (or go underwater!) and I suppose you don't want your nacelle struts snapping off the instant the inertial dampeners fail or the warp bubble is hit by an inverse quagmire field.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pwnstar posted:

Ok so I just started up The Next Generation, I'm going post some of my random thoughts of the episodes I've seen so far so you guys can laugh at them.

I can't believe this loving happened.

LOL

I don't disagree with a single thing you wrote but lol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

I remember O'Brien saying "drat" a lot in the DS9 premier and it was weird because he'd never cussed even once on TNG.

Enlightened officers don't cuss, unsophisticated enlisted do.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Geordi, what's that glowing thing?

That's Data. He's not a real person and has no rights, so he has an electronic glow about him in my nerd vision.

But his mom and brother don't because that would interfere with the plot also we forgot we wrote that

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched TNG 4.17 Night Terrors, which is a pretty good episode and one I'll always remember for the X-Files style freakout of the dead bodies sitting up on Crusher.

At the very end, Data orders Picard to bed, and Picard walks down and enters the door just to the left of the viewscreen and it's a turbolift instead of the ready room. What the gently caress just happened?

EDIT:

looking at bridge layouts on the google, it appears that there is a turbolift door and the ready room right there. You can now mock me for being dumb. I really don't remember that turbolift. Is that where Worf went in that other mindfuck episode where the door opened from one bridge to an identical bridge?

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 9, 2016

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Apollodorus posted:

HE WAS STILL DREAMING!!!!!

It is apparently I who am at a REM deficiency and losing my mind. I've just been through a hurricane goddamnit

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I'm most annoyed by the multitudinous species that have human-like mouths but with one or more flesh bridges over them from their nose to their chin or whatever.

Did you know our species invented the drinking straw before the wheel? I cannot eat a sandwich.
-some stupid loving alien

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrousoxide posted:

The doesn't that turbolift go directly to the battle bridge?

Don't all turbolifts go everywhere like a Wonkavator?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Falken posted:

There's no guilt in skipping Nagus/Ferengi episodes and mirror universe episodes in DS9, is there?

We just can't listen to Zek's horrific, cringey voice, all the "females" bullshit.

The magnificent Ferengi was pretty awesome however.

There is great shame in skipping Ferengi episodes which should be accompanied by massive feelings of guilt.

One (you know which one) is excusable maybe.

Mirror episodes don't really matter I guess if it's not your thing.

True fans bij and don't skip. :gowron:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:gowron: Welcome to rule of acquisition page 166. Experience Bij! :gowron:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Duckbag posted:

This has always bugged me as well, especially when you realize that they scan for "life signs" all the time, but apparently don't bother when they're actively searching for someone who has a com badge? I think it hints at an even bigger inconsistency. How do Star Fleet sensors work, and what can you do with them? I know the real answer is "whatever works for the plot," but I want to know how they detect these life signs and energy fields and the like. Sometimes they can scan life signs through shields, sometimes they can't. Some physical barriers block it, some don't. Sometimes they can tell exactly how many people of what species are on a ship, sometimes they have no clue. Most importantly, is it always an active process like RADAR, or can they do it passively? At least some of the time, it must be active because people know they're being scanned or can jam scans, but sometimes it seems to be passive and they get the same information without seeming to "scan" anything.

This gets especially dicey with cloaking devices, because sometimes they can't scan while in cloak (because it would give them away) and sometimes they seem to do it anyway.

There are definitely passive and active scans. When they find an alien probe in I can't think of the name but the one where Barclay is the computer, they try passive scanning first in a bunch of ways so they don't trigger it, then switch to active scanning when they get no results.

Then they apparently shoot positrons at it. I suppose causing a matter/antimatter reaction will give you some data points to study, but I don't think the shuttle would survive. This last watchthrough I find myself most irritated by their treatment of antimatter. Wesley gets it right that there can only be one intermix ratio, but then Dr Brahms talks about Geordi loving with the ratio and making it too "rich". Also, positrons everywhere.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Barclay explaining step by step how to build a neural interface in the 30 seconds before the enterprise gets blown up

Hey, he understood everything in the universe in one equation and it was simple!

He just macgyvered that thing because he knew all the components the holodeck has in stock, which, as we know from schisms, is quite an eclectic lot.

Connect Andorian disco ball to a quantum tunneling hyperspanner type theta and connect a ferengi dildonic sphere at the left aperture. etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

For in-universe explanations, it's fine. But in TV terms, it's goofy as all get out. Especially Ro and Picard.

There are undoubtedly fully adult alien members of starfleet the size of human children. The Binars were that size. So was Nog, but that was later. Anyway, the replicator adjusting a uniform size is beyond trivial.

WickedHate posted:

The Enterprise isn't really sentient, though. It can't do anything on it's own, it requires input. It's not a thinking individual with any kind of personality.

Just the thing that figures out when you really want to go through a door is smarter than any AI today. Not to mention the thing that knows who you're about to talk to on your communicator or how the UT knows when you mean to say something in French or when not to translate a Klingon word.