Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Comrade Fakename posted:

I wonder if the choice to set Discovery in the "past" of the Prime timeline is a more legal decision than a creative one. As far as we know, the case is still that any new TV shows cannot directly reference events that originate in the movies, right? CBS and Paramount never came to an agreement getting around that, as far as I know. So, the most recent even at the end of the Prime timeline that we know about is the destruction of Romulus, a huge event that any new show set post-Voyager would have to address. But obviously, Romulus falling into a black hole comes from ST '09, and so therefore cannot legally be mentioned in a TV show.

So it may be that it is now legally impossible to set a Trek TV show after Voyager, and Fuller had no choice but to choose somewhere in the "past" to set the new series.

While they are legally separate entities and Paramount licenses Star Trek from CBS to make the movies, both corporations are owned by National Amusements, headed by Shari Redstone and Philippe Dauman. It would be a simple matter of Dauman calling his counterpart at Paramount (Brad Grey, I think) and saying, "Yo, let Fuller use your poo poo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

speakhard posted:

Sorry to bring this up from a while back, but "Piller Filler" didn't actually have anything to do with technobabble. When a script was running short, Piller would add *character* scenes that didn't directly relate to the plot. The scene with Dr. Stubbs telling Wesley how he visualizes baseball games in his head, for example.

Those are some of the best parts!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Timby posted:

While they are legally separate entities and Paramount licenses Star Trek from CBS to make the movies, both corporations are owned by National Amusements, headed by Shari Redstone and Philippe Dauman. It would be a simple matter of Dauman calling his counterpart at Paramount (Brad Grey, I think) and saying, "Yo, let Fuller use your poo poo."

Same reason why Colbert isn't allowed to use the skits he did on Comedy Central even though both CBS and CC are owned by Viacom.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Met posted:

https://twitter.com/sky_conway/status/770296923936784384

Must be hard for an actor to eat these days.

LOL at Terry Farrell leaving DS9 to be on Becker because she was done with Star Trek and then now she's on the fake Star Trek.

GreenNight posted:

Same reason why Colbert isn't allowed to use the skits he did on Comedy Central even though both CBS and CC are owned by Viacom.

But he has. He did "The Word" while he was pretending to be Colbert for the Donald Trump thing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Cojawfee posted:

But he has. He did "The Word" while he was pretending to be Colbert for the Donald Trump thing.

Yeah and then the next night he said he could never bring that Colbert character back or do The Word again because lawyers.

So he invented his twin brother also named Colbert and has done The Werd.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cojawfee posted:

He also got a letter from the lawyers after that too telling him not to do it again.

So now he has "The Werd".

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Set one season in the future and just don't use Romulans for those 13 episodes.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

bull3964 posted:

He also got a letter from the lawyers after that too telling him not to do it again.

So now he has "The Werd".

I'm pretty sure if he had asked before had it would Have been fine.

Given treks position in the company permission would exist.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Special Guest Star Robert Beltran as "the 90's stereotyped Native American guy who saved Mulder in that X-Files cliffhanger".

He was Raoul. He was eaten. So, there's that.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cojawfee posted:

LOL at Terry Farrell leaving DS9 to be on Becker because she was done with Star Trek and then now she's on the fake Star Trek.

I watched Becker and she was written out of that before it was over as well.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Tunklord Supreme posted:

move along home

Had to be watched because Lt. Primmin is in it.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Met posted:

I watched Becker and she was written out of that before it was over as well.

Even if it felt tacked on at the end of Season 6, I really enjoyed the ramifications of Jadzia's death in the first bits of Season 7.

Also holy poo poo she was written off of that terrible sitcom and run out on a rail. She hasn't worked since 2003.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zurui posted:

Even if it felt tacked on at the end of Season 6, I really enjoyed the ramifications of Jadzia's death in the first bits of Season 7.

Also holy poo poo she was written off of that terrible sitcom and run out on a rail. She hasn't worked since 2003.

She retired to raise her children actually.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There's some picture of Nichelle Nichols and Walter Koenig in some cheap-rear end looking uniforms on the website for that show and it's very sad

Nichelle must be INCREDIBLY devoted to this fanbase because she seems to put up with all of the weird crap and I doubt anyone's paying her enough for it

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zurui posted:

It was wise of them to kill her off at the height of her relevancy. Jadiza didn't have a whole lot to do a lot of the time until they brought Worf along and by the end of Season 6 she and Worf's relationship has been a major on-going subplot and she's had a ton of screen time and episodes built around her. Hell, her wedding has to easily compete for the top three DS9 episodes of all time. Her death sets the tone for the last chunk of the show--the grim darkness of interstellar war. Season 7 feels a lot like one very long war drama too, so it kind of serves as the big tragedy to lead into that.

I'll say it again, I like Ezri Dax and I'm glad they took Dax down that route as opposed to just doing a second Jadzia.

EDIT: Isn't it common rumor that the whole cast of DS9 was just screwing each other all over the place? I'd read in some SA thread that people thought the actress who played Kira had gotten impregnated by Avery Brooks. And wasn't she also married to Bashir's actor?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

8-Bit Scholar posted:

the grim darkness of interstellar war

The Federation is just like the Tau, now that you mention it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It was wise of them to kill her off at the height of her relevancy. Jadiza didn't have a whole lot to do a lot of the time until they brought Worf along and by the end of Season 6 she and Worf's relationship has been a major on-going subplot and she's had a ton of screen time and episodes built around her. Hell, her wedding has to easily compete for the top three DS9 episodes of all time. Her death sets the tone for the last chunk of the show--the grim darkness of interstellar war. Season 7 feels a lot like one very long war drama too, so it kind of serves as the big tragedy to lead into that.

I'll say it again, I like Ezri Dax and I'm glad they took Dax down that route as opposed to just doing a second Jadzia.

EDIT: Isn't it common rumor that the whole cast of DS9 was just screwing each other all over the place? I'd read in some SA thread that people thought the actress who played Kira had gotten impregnated by Avery Brooks. And wasn't she also married to Bashir's actor?

Nana Visitor was loving Avery Brooks and then dumped him for Siddig, who she later had a child with and married, or at least that's what I've heard. No idea if there was any other on-set drama of that sort.

I like Ezri also, and wish she had more screen time because Jadzia has maybe two good episodes in the entire first three seasons of the show and is on the whole a vastly less interesting character.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If there was one character DS9 could lose and keep going unchanged, it was Jadzia. I also would have liked to have seen more from Ezri than we got.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The whole Jadzia/Worf relationship was probably the weakest aspect of DS9.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pakled posted:

This I don't agree with, it's the best thing they did with her character and adds a side to Worf that TNG never really played up. And there's no way it's as stupid and lame as Rom and Leeta's relationship, or anything to do with Bashir being an augment.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The worst thing about DS9 is that by the end this massive interstellar war is being run by like three or four people in a couple of little rooms. It just starts to feel kind of cheap.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

cenotaph posted:

The worst thing about DS9 is that by the end this massive interstellar war is being run by like three or four people in a couple of little rooms. It just starts to feel kind of cheap.

The holocommunicator would've worked way better in the wardroom.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
They skulls have killed jadzia a few episodes earlier in that episode where her and Worf go on the mission together and she got shot a Worf blows the mission to save her. Just change it so he completes the mission.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Rhyno posted:

Aww, that warms the cockles of my little black heart.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

Nah, pretty much everything Jadzia ever did before that was far weaker.

cenotaph posted:

Yeah, a little bit this. I guess DS9 became sort of the front line, but one Admiral and a captain being in charge of what feels like everything seemed far too contrived. Then again, the station crew also being the Defiant crew was contrived as gently caress, but I love the Defiant, so whatever

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lowen SoDium posted:

They skulls have killed jadzia a few episodes earlier in that episode where her and Worf go on the mission together and she got shot a Worf blows the mission to save her. Just change it so he completes the mission.

Yeah, I knew she was gonna die but didn't know when and when she didn't die there I was very perplexed. It simply made sense that Worf WOULD put the mission first, and then kick himself about it afterwards. He's not a human, he wouldn't make the human choice, but he does.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rhyno posted:

According to wikipedia, the show added in a new love interest for Becker and Terry's character was just randomly written out between seasons.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Trent posted:

Yeah, a little bit this. I guess DS9 became sort of the front line, but one Admiral and a captain being in charge of what feels like everything seemed far too contrived. Then again, the station crew also being the Defiant crew was contrived as gently caress, but I love the Defiant, so whatever

The redressed walk-in closet the Dominion was running their campaign from bothered me more.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cojawfee posted:

According to wikipedia, the show added in a new love interest for Becker and Terry's character was just randomly written out between seasons.

According to her she wanted out anyways.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I thought she was kicked out for enciting raise riots like on DS9.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cenotaph posted:

The redressed walk-in closet the Dominion was running their campaign from bothered me more.

Well, deployments and battle lines in Trek have always been simplified and basically silly in a lot of ways. They seemed to have enough screens with insignia on them (and a gigantic DS9 logo since that is the hero ship defunct mining facility) but yeah, when Sisko was on Cardassia Prime, there was a big war room and then there's like two guys and a breen chilling in a tiny room.

Maybe the Dominion just thinks differently than we do - it's already evidenced by their lack of viewscreens on ships and shoulder head-mounted eyepieces and stuff. It may be more compartmentalized or just set up that way because there is only one Founder available and she is paranoid about Cardassians.

Or it's just crap. For me, nonsensical things aliens do just makes them alien, and I assume that it must make sense in some alien way. I'm much more annoyed when the humans (and other nearly human federation types) do things that seem to make no sense, like have a fleet of ships with multiple admirals and multiple GROUPS of Galaxy class ships being commanded by a dude who just made Captain like a year ago, and he has his LJG Ship's Counselor order them around on a side panel.

And when they splitscreen to KAPLAA at each other and the Feds get two guys and the Klingons get one guy and we're supposed to not think about the fact that a third of the fleet is Romulan.

I still love it all to death, though.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The General posted:

I thought she was kicked out for enciting raise riots like on DS9.

Race riots!?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I generally forgive TV Sci Fi for scale issues. Epic on a pre modern HBO TV budget is hard.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

remusclaw posted:

I generally forgive TV Sci Fi for scale issues. Epic on a pre modern HBO TV budget is hard.

It's like how all of the action in Greek plays happens off-stage.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah, I know it's a budget thing which is why I mostly ignore it (and the story is good). But compared to All Good Things which had all the new future stuff and location shots in the vineyard, etc. the late Dominion war stuff feels like a string of bottle episodes in a lot of ways. It also somehow reminds me of how small and cheap a lot of Voyager episodes felt and we all know that Voyager ruins everything.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Apollodorus posted:

You mean the show with ... worse writing

I'm sure I've heard wronger opinions than this, but at present I can't think of any.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

cenotaph posted:

Yeah, I know it's a budget thing which is why I mostly ignore it (and the story is good). But compared to All Good Things which had all the new future stuff and location shots in the vineyard, etc. the late Dominion war stuff feels like a string of bottle episodes in a lot of ways. It also somehow reminds me of how small and cheap a lot of Voyager episodes felt and we all know that Voyager ruins everything.

Yeah, the Cardassian Dominion War Room Damar and Weyoun hung out in was really lacking. They could've at least had a giant Cardassian LCARS table with a map, that's cheap as poo poo to do and fills up a larger room nicely, gives it some scale.

Hell, it's all Cardassian, use the DS9 cargo Bay set as the base set. It's big enough to look impressive, just bang a giant LCARS situation table filling most the room, hang a few screens from the walls, mill some extras around.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 31, 2016

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

quote:

One of the more fan-maddening comments about the new show – which has kept the nerdiest of us digging deep into Star Trek history minutia the last few weeks – is that ]b]DISCOVERY will be set about ten years before Captain Kirk’s five-year mission[/b] on the USS Enterprise.

Fuller talked some more about choosing that spot on the timeline… and how the passage of time might be portrayed a bit differently in the new series.

[The time period we chose] came pretty organically, because we are going to try to achieve a new look for ‘Star Trek’ that is very much ‘Star Trek,’ but also our interpretation of ‘Star Trek.’ I love each of the shows I work on to have a distinct aesthetic […] so it seemed like a good place to start our signature look for the ‘Star Trek’ universe and work our way forward as we tell the stories.

:ughh:

quote:

[Uniform design will be] something completely different [from ‘The Cage’]. I think when you see the design, it’s a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

cenotaph posted:

I just finished watching The House of Quark for the first time in like a decade. It's a fun and good episode for sure but I couldn't shake how weird it was that Gowron, leader of a huge interstellar empire, was involved in this bullshit low-stakes issue at all, much less cooling his heels waiting for Quark to show up in the penultimate scene. I'm not expecting mega realism from my favorite space adventure show but...yeah, like you said, it's just cheap and weirdly claustrophobic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's like playing a video game RPG. You just assume this "City" that has 10 buildings and maybe 25 people actually represents something far more appropriate to its title, and that the the people you deal with are the important ones plucked from the unseen millions off screen. On the other hand, it is nice that this isn't always necessary anymore what with modern effects and higher investment in telling big stories on television.