Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I've dug around, but I can't see this having been discussed before:

Does anyone know any functional difference between the complete Blu-Ray TNG collection set and the individual seasons (as well as any difference between the US/UK complete series sets)? The Amazon reviews don't help much - the closest I can find was someone talking about different commentary and specials that were on the double dip releases (Best of Both Worlds, Redemption, etc)... I think?

The insane price difference vs. the individual seasons just seems too good to be true and I don't want to miss out on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Baka-nin posted:

The Federations Oliver North, oh wait that's old McCoy, not that really old Admiral that got really young, then really, really young, Nevermind.

I love that they'd originally wanted that character to be Kirk - that the consequences of the stupid TOS Cold War politics would come back to bite him in the rear end and by killing him off they'd move out from under their predecessor's shadow... like officers on a Klingon warship.

Early TNG writers had some balls before Roddenberry stomped all over everything.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

McSpanky posted:

And people like you need to stop being so disingenuous to score some easy social justice points out of context. DS9 had to play it that way because homosexual content was still a big taboo on TV in the 90s, and even after all the bending over backwards they did to cloak the issue in scifi parable they still got a bunch of hate mail and angry calls because of the actual on-screen kiss.

:eng101: The DS9 folks said that while all the calls were angry, all the letters were grateful!

Also that the big fear was that individual stations would drop the series, which is a significant concern for a syndicated series trying to not piss off the studio. I think they lost one station, but I need to get my own copy of The DS9 Companion so feel free to correct me on that.

FilthyImp posted:

Also the best Trek was the Futurama tribute episode.
"Fascinating, Captain. And logical also"

:riker: Yes! Front row!

After The War fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 9, 2016

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can't imagine Yesterday's Enterprise as a movie. There simply isn't enough meat on those bones. And then you run into the very issue that tanked the TOS vs TNG concept; the writers couldn't make both crews heroic without one of them ending up as the clear "villain".

Did it? It always came across to me as everyone trying to do the right thing as they understand it, and it starts the process of showing how easy it would be for the Roddenberry Utopia (tm) to fall apart once things start going wrong. The problem, as happens with nearly every Star Trek movie, is that this inversion and payoff requires the investment in the universe and characters that comes with having spent many, many hours with them. The scenes of the two captains trying to decide a course of action based not only on their considerations of larger implications but also their duties to their crews are particularly resonant.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Timby posted:

If you want to read something incredibly in-depth about TMP's production -- I mean so in-depth it makes the Cinefex articles look like broad abstracts -- pick up Return to Tomorrow: The Production of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Preston Neal Jones was given unfettered access to everyone involved, and the book covers literally everything: Pre-production and writing, filming, and the third section is like 100+ pages of ultra-detailed information about all the VFX work. Like, there will be six paragraphs about how a single two-second shot was accomplished. It was originally intended as a cover story for CFQ, they killed the story, and then last year Jones decided to release his entire manuscript.

I'm kind of really into this, both for the behind-the-scenes slow motion trainwreck and out of awe for Douglas Trumbull's genius and work ethic. Thanks!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Gammatron 64 posted:

You are scaredy pants. You wear pyjamas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTLHy7kwHnU

Man, Gowron's been hitting the blood wine pretty hard. Calories still count in Sto'Vo'Kor, dude! Martok's aged just fine, except for a little trouble with the teeth.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Gammatron 64 posted:

Worf is amazing, what are you talking about? He's like the most hilarious character in all of Star Trek, because he is a giant humorless, inept goon with a giant stick up his rear end. He's basically Sam the Eagle.

"I am not a merry man."

Yeah, Michael Dorn is the absolute best.

:kiddo: "Are you the son of Mogh?"
:black101: "Yes, I am."
:kiddo: "Is it true you can kill someone just by looking at them?"
:black101: "... Only when I am angry."

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rhyno posted:

He was probably preparing cooked meat.

Worse.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trent posted:

Sounds like somebody flunked Temporal Paradox Mechanics II at the academy

Is that a joke? We hate those.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The_Doctor posted:

It always bothered me, if these two are Starfleet, why aren't they in uniform?

I don't think they are Starfleet - they're probably a separate Federation agency, and Memory Alpha lists them as such. Which makes sense, you'd want people who were independent from Starfleet culture and traditions to investigate all the times they gently caress up causality by slamming on the brakes or set their clocks for daylight savings.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Shibawanko posted:

Voyager was all dark and serious and depressing and most episodes were about paranormal things and GHOSTSSSS. DS9 was about having fun and hanging out with friends.

That, plus the horrors of war and the personal and moral sacrifices it requires, along with facing the horrible truth of one's past actions. And fun in the holosuites, I guess. Occasionally.

So... trap sprung? I guess? :shrug:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rhyno posted:

I don't know enough about them to really go crazy, but I was just thinking about how terrible the Marvel ones from some years back were.

Looking at the Wikipedia page, besides reminding me that I religiously read the TNG and DS9 books in the 90s and retained almost nothing, led me to two books on Amazon:
Star Trek: A Comics History and New Life and New Civilizations: Exploring Star Trek Comics but no good web references.

And since I just drunk-bought the complete TNG blu-rays, I should probably hold off on additional Star Trek purchases for a while.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rhyno posted:

The first one looks interesting but I'm not gonna pony up $40 for a curiosity. I wish there was a cheap and easy way to read the terrible Marvel and Wildstorm issues.

One of the reviews for that book hipped me to this site!

http://www.startrekcomics.info

The summaries are super brief, but they seem to have all the cover art.

Watch out, Riker! It's a g-g-g-ghost!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Leonard Nimoy is as confused as the rest of us.

Possibly the Gold Key-iest cover and "late60soffbrandcomicsart.jpg" all the way down to the sleepy, muted colors.

Love the poo poo out of that goofy 60s logo, though.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Astroman posted:

Whoa, really? What's that from?

Didn't you used to come to the Politoon Thread? EC Comics are the most important thing ever. :colbert:

At least in regards to genre storytelling.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

When did Data get his girlfriend? :v:

The B-plot of that one, where they're in the Video Game Glitch sector and people are getting stuck in the floor was legit creepy and deserved it's own episode.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Okay, that shouldn't have made me tear up. Goddammit.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There was a group of teens walking around Space City Comic Con earlier this year, laughing and snapchatting everything, as teens are wont to do. They passed by his booth and started to walk on until he literally chased after them and demanded that they each pay him $10 for the supposed pictures. He must have stood there arguing with them for a good 20 minutes, because they were all still there after I'd made a complete circuit around the con.

Dude is an rear end in a top hat.

The traced art he was selling was super obvious poo poo too, like Jim Lee and Francis Manapul covers.

I help put on our local con, also Memorial Day weekend, and we had a lot of things go wrong this year. A LOT. And it was our 50th. And the highest attendance since the 70s heyday because GRRM was our GOH. We were proud we were able to make the thing happen at all. There were complaints. There were people threatening to never come again. There were firings and walkouts. It was a physically and emotionally draining experience.

Then we heard about everything that happened at Space City, and suddenly... it wasn't so bad.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Allen_Aldo posted:

Does this mean the new trek will be heavily 2001 inspired like TMP?

If the ship's computer is an ultra-polite murderbot, that would definitely be a changeup.

So, why didn't anyone tell me the Blu-Rays have the original TV trailers?! If I'd known I would be able to hear every "On the next... exciting episode of Staaaaaahrrr Trek: The Next Generation!" again, I would have bought these ages ago.

I wanted to see something that would show off the restoration, so I threw in The Neutral Zone for the first Warbird appearance. Gave up on the stupid "thawed out 20th century humans" plot about fifteen minutes in - I'd forgotten how much they were still copying TOS even this late in the first season, with less formal dialogue and Picard throwing Kirk-style hissyfits. ("...on MY ship?!") The biggest thing I noticed was that they corrected just how dark the first season was - the lighting is a lot more consistent with the rest of the series. The downside is that it really shows off the higher-speed film, so it's pretty grainy. But that's what I get for picking a first season story!

The Warbird de-cloaking and flying up was gorgeous, of course. And, while I remembered that the Romulan Captain was Marc Alaimo, I didn't realize how much he straight-up played it exactly the way he would play Gul Dukat, all the way down to the way he sat with his hands folded. Beautiful.

Not having the BAH BAH DA DA DA DAAA Paramount music at the end of the closing credits was disappointing, though. :sigh:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Payndz posted:

The Royal Navy's Flower-class vessels gave the world the warships HMS Pansy, Daffodil, Buttercup and Geranium, amongst others. (Other RN vessels with odd names include HMS Spanker, HMS Cockchafer and HMS Black Joke. All of which should be starships, or at least Culture vessels.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower-class_corvette is a pro-click. I love how all the ones transferred to the US were given more manly names (HMS Mandrake became USS Haste, HMS Privet became USS Prudent, HMS Milfoil became USS Intensity, and so on.)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Nitrousoxide posted:

If the new series does well that may overcome somewhat weak box office numbers in their calculation.

What's the bar for that? Subscriptions to CBS All Access/number of Netflix viewers in the rest of the world? Before, they could always look at ad revenue or number of stations paying syndication fees - how is "success" measured in the streaming-only world?

Related, is this the biggest IP to go digital-only?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Tunicate posted:

Star Trek 1: Enterprise destroyed
Star Trek 2: Enterprise destroyed
Star Trek 3: Enterprise destroyed
Star Trek 4: Enterprise destroyed????

Cause and Effect must have been such a fun episode for the effects people.

[makes explosion noises]

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MikeJF posted:

Yeah. Plus, it's presumably a pretty small black hole. Which wouldn't actually have any effect even if it was relatively close to Earth. It'd just act like an extra planet. But black. And hole-ish.

Small black holes evaporate quickly anyway.

Well, the thing about black holes is... they're black. And the thing about space is...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rhyno posted:

I attended a B5 convention (it was tiny) in the late 90's and he went on a massive anti-woman rant during a panel so there's also that.

:sigh: Maybe we can just talk about Andreas Katsulas instead. I mean look at him... just look at him!

:swoon:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Arglebargle III posted:

Like they unfreeze Ayn Rand? Far out.

I would be so into Star Trek meets Ayn Rand's Adventures in Wonderland. Can we make that happen?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Nazareth posted:

So does Wyatt Miller ever pop up again to confirm my Troi x Riker fanfictions or is he going to die with the Tarellians?

Never. The episode is utterly skippable, unless you want to see the introduction of Mr. Homn (and the only time he ever talks.)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Nazareth posted:

Too bad I'm not skipping any episodes because it's my first time watching. :)

We should have some kind of "It Gets Better" video series for people in your situation. You should start a countdown of episodes until Roddenberry loses his grip over the series.

Season 2 is going to have some of the most loved and hated episodes, so hold on. There's a lot of Real Sci-Fi stuff about the nature of life and sentience, probably more than any other run in Star Trek History. And they start characterizing Picard consistently!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MikeJF posted:

You're all wrong, Sisko was hottest.

Mmm-hmm!

Hachi machi! :stwoon:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Nessus posted:

Doesn't look like it, but S2 did only have 22 episodes due to other poo poo going on, so they'd have had more money rattling around on a per-episode basis - especially since one of those episodes was a clip show.

Season 2 went over budget, which is why they had to do a clip show at the end.

Rob Bowman posted:

It was Paramount saying, 'We gave you more money for "Elementary, Dear Data" and the Borg show. Now do us a favor and give us a three-day show.' So that's what you do. It's an accepted part of the medium.

Having said that, all their effort does show - Q Who is a fantastic-looking episode and it really helped sell the Borg as something new and different.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rhyno posted:

It's kind of funny to look at them now, Whoopi is pretty much done with film, she's a tv host meanwhile Stewart is a cultural phenomenon, he's loving everywhere.

If you haven't watched these, you better loving get on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ-cTs-u-Kg&list=PL1irhH20XtOOI2_afeYAu-_rcgWa1xKpR

Um, I believe you meant to post this one: :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg_cwI1Xj4M

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Baka-nin posted:

I don't hate Vic, he's firmly in the does nothing for me category, but what exactly was the point of him? The crew already had a hang out place, and why choose a fifties style Las Vegish rat pack type crooner? And why is Quark okay with losing one of his holosuites to what's essentially competition?

The people who made DS9 love movies. They love love love movies. Especially crime movies. If you look at any behind-the-scenes stuff, they'll talk about specific films they're referencing, rather than the broad "only know it from the parodies" kinds of pastiche you saw on TNG (ie, Dixon Hill). And they had the resources, and they had a cast who loved to ham it up in different parts, so why not? That's why you get Vic Fontaine, or any of the Orion Syndicate stuff where the bad guys are just classic crime movie tropes in Star Trek makeup, or the James Bond one, or Lawrence loving Tierney as a space dictator.

And if you don't dig it, you need to get out of the Star Trek thread and go watch some goddamn movies.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Kazinsal posted:

I would love a Star Trek homage to MASH. Preferably with a cameo by Donald Sutherland.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Nor_the_Battle_to_the_Strong_(episode)

That's the obvious one, but In the Cards feels closer to an episode of the series, complete with the A and B plots having different tones.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Nazareth posted:

I usually hate the "evil twin episode" a lot of Western shows like to have. It's rarely done well and it's so tiring when they do it. However, I didn't actually hate this episode. I liked learning about Data's background. It was cool knowing that his creation was inspired by Asiimov. I also have a feeling that we'll see Lore again. I hope he sports a moustache.

Getting Brent Spiner to do different voices is pretty much the driving force behind TNG.

Ya varmint.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
And none of those had the underlying message of "get off my lawn ship, space hippies!"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

B5 season 1 is better than Dr. Who. This is fact, not conjecture.

Hey, now! Which era of Doctor Who? :toughguy:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Sash! posted:

First Contact isn't as good as it should be because it doesn't make sense to me.

You're telling me that the Borg 1) can't aim for poo poo bombarding a static target and 2) can't drop anything with more explosive power than a gallon of gasoline?

Seriously they'd have inflicted more damage if they'd just kamikazed into the place.

There is exactly one great Borg story and that's the first one. Even though I started watching in the summer between seasons 3 and 4, I was lucky enough to have only seen the last few frames of Best of Both Worlds Part 1 before Q Who. (The rerun schedule was really weird in my area.) The first time you see them, the Borg are so.... alien. Just vast and powerful and other- life was a totally different experience for them. And that's what made them so scary. Every story after that diminished them more and more. They should have stopped after I, Borg, which, while certainly not perfect, told the inverse of Picard's experience in BoBW and bookended it nicely. Everything after that is just generic villainy. By First Contact, they're just recycling old Dalek time travel shenanigans. And not even the good ones. What a waste.

(I gave up on Voyager in the second season, and I don't want to hear about your Sevens or Nines or any of that poo poo. :mad:)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Paradoxish posted:

"The Price" is also a showcase for how bad the TNG writers were with relationship stuff.

How can you say that? Is there a relationship that can't include the "My love is like a FEE-VAH!" speech? I attest that there is not.

EDIT - Wrong stupid Ferengi story.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Infinite Bad Opinions in Infinite Combinations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cojawfee posted:

"I feel strange but also good."
"Well Wes, back on the rape planet where I'm from, we had drugs. While they may make you feel good right now, eventually all drugs will kill you. Except for tobacco and alcohol of course."

Inserting this into an episode about an interplanetary pharmaceutical scam is one of the most 1988 moments imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Ogmius815 posted:

One of the dumbest things about Generations is that it kills off Picard's family from that episode. Generations was all about killing characters terribly I guess.

I'm still irrationally angry that they killed Lursa and B'Etor in that piece of poo poo.