Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

They actually used it for two episodes (the other being the one where the idiot dipshit writers retconned Bashir into being a GMO) before figuring out the gimmick sucked.

I read that as "HMO" and was racking my brain for an episode where Quark gets into the insurance business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cojawfee posted:

How was the battle controlled in the very beginning of the game? My sisters and I played it once and I remember we had trouble getting past that. I have a feeling it's something really easy and we were just retarded kids.

Just like the real ship - steer with the mouse, left button for photons, right button for phasers.

Also gently caress that first motherfucking puzzle.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

FilthyImp posted:

Mostly it's flying around trying to come at the enemy at a WoK vector to pound their aft shields.

Chuck Tingle account spotted.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Are you guys trying to get George Takei in here in drop a municipal public transportation system on us? Stop talkin' smack about his ship! :mad:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I would love to see a return of the Big Idea Science Fiction you only really saw in TNG, especially with beings far removed from our definition of "life." Before they were dumbed-down, the Borg were an exercise in not just collective intelligence, but collective identity. You had a four-dimensional species that built nests in black holes. Nagilum was a sentient sector of space that needed to have the concept of "death" explained. The Trill. The beings trapped in the other side of the Tyken's Rift whose communications could only be interpreted through dream imagery.

We still need all the stories that are about holding the mirror to our own world, of course, but I miss their opposites, where they see just how different life could be.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

FilthyImp posted:

Fighters should just be drones in overwhelming numbers. Just a swarm of lovely disposable photon torpedo bombers meant to overload the targeting systems and just batter the gently caress out of shields.

About time the Nanites got a loving job. :bahgawd:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Zurui posted:

Yet another reason The Drumhead is such an amazing episode. That and Measure of a Man are great examples of Federation ethics at their highest point.

This is what's great about Star Trek, and TNG in particular. We can go on for dozens of pages about space battles, but the definitive episodes are just people arguing calmly talking around a table.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Sash! posted:

Captain Guy From Lost.

Horror veteran and Millennium co-star Terry O'Quinn. :mad:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Momotaros posted:

Can we agree that Mark Twain in Time's Arrow is the most annoying character in any episode of TNG, if not in Star Trek as a whole?

Knowing that it's Deep Throat from X-Files just makes all those scenes hilarious.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Arglebargle III posted:

Supposedly Ron Moore inserted the tongue in cheek technobabble scene with Riker and the Ferengi guy in Rascals.

Copied from Memory Alpha, because I love the hell out of Fizzbin scenes.

:riker: "Okay, Morta. The Enterprise computer system is controlled by three primary main processor cores, cross-linked with redundant melacortz-ramistat 14-kiloquad interface modules. The core element is based on an FTL nanoprocessor with 25 bilateral kelilactirals. With twenty of those being slaved into the primary Heisenfram terminals. Now, you know what a bilateral kelilactiral is?"

:mad: "Of course I do, Human. I am not stupid!"

:riker: "No. Of course not. This is the isopalavial interface which controls the main firomantal drive unit. Don't touch that - you'll blow up the entire firomantal drive."

:sweatdrop: "Alright, wa..wa..Wait! Wha..what is a, a ferromactal drive? Just explain it to me!"

:riker: "That is the firomantal drive unit, it controls the ramistat core and keeps the ontarian manifold at 40,000 KRGs. The firomantal drive is powered by..."

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Met posted:

Beats TMP.

I need to know that there are stories featuring Sarcastic Native American Guy and Lt. Dangle from Reno 911!. I need to.

EDIT - And Blue Guy and the My First Convention Vulcan Ears Twins, why not.

After The War fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 3, 2016

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Q_res posted:

How tolerant of lovely episodes are you? The thing about B5 is even 'Grey 17 Is Missing' and 'TKO', the 2 episodes you should skip if you skip any, have little nuggets of foreshadowing or good character moments.

B5 has a weird thing where the A plot has to be about the human characters, even if the aliens are doing something more significant to the series arc, so you get a lot of stupid "Crisis of the Week" ones where important poo poo still happens. Grey 17 in particular has some significant events that take up less screen time than the security chief getting stuck between floors with Freddy Krueger.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm also mad at them for wasting Brad Dourif on the 10,000th serial killer of his career when he would have been a fantastic Minbari.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Timby posted:

I'm positive that there's some memo out there, circa Original Series, in which Roddenberry details the Enterprise's ability to separate its saucer. They just never had the money to make it happen.

I know I saw that in one of those crazy officially-branded non-canon movie-era technical manuals. Have no idea which one, though.

EDIT - Probably this one.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Mulaney Power Move posted:

actually if they cut out the duplicate voyager part to that one episode and ended it with harry beaming himself into the sun so the alien bastards can't steal his pancreas, then i think that would have been a good end to the series.

WickedHate posted:

Voyager would have been a lot better if it was a sitcom.

This just made me wonder if you could swap out the character names from Sealab 2021 episodes and see if people could tell.

• "Happycake" - Janeway complains about her stolen Happy Cake oven, while Paris shows off his mountain fortress.
  • "Chickmate" - Torres' "biological clock" goes off, and she tries to find a crewmember that would make a good father for her as-yet-unconceived baby.
  • "Lost in Time" - While receiving unlicensed cable feeds for Captain Janeway, The Doctor and Kim are caught in a 15-minute time warp as Voyager continually blows up.
  • "Legend of Baggy Pants" - After trying to start a game of golf next to the reactor core (and turning Kim into Monster Kim in the process), Janeway goes looking for the pro shop — and gets thoroughly lost in the process.
  • "Kathryn Kath and the Feng Shui Bunch" - Janeway is sold on redecorating the station according to feng shui rules, but Chakotay distrusts the guy doing the selling. A showdown between the decorator and Tuvok at the end of the episode reveals that the events of the episode in fact take place in a holodeck program played by Commander Riker during the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Pegasus".

Oh, wait...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

McNally posted:

I was thinking about the scale of a Galaxy class the other day and wondered if, like during the Dominion War for example, they stripped a Galaxy class of all excess personnel (families, science crews, maybe beef up engineering and security a bit, I think you'd end up with a crew of like 500), consolidated them in quarters on the interior sections of the saucer, and then locked off the vacant areas and shut off power to them.

No life support, no gravity, no replicators, no lighting, no automated cleaning robots (or whatever), in a considerable portion of a Galaxy class starship. Reroute that power to shields or weapons or both.

Would that make an appreciable difference?

Given that the energy-based weapons are designed to overload/damage/destroy other spaceships, I'm sure that their energy use is many orders of magnitude greater than what life support requires. Now if, instead of just leaving those areas empty, they were to convert them into additional dedicated weapon space, that would make the whole ship a massive terror death machine.

Thematically, that would be devastating. The ship design we associate with peace and understanding become a form of horror and destruction? It would really drive home the sacrifices the Federation would be willing to make, but it would be enough of a mindfuck for viewers that it would require more than just a passing reference.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Gonz posted:

Earlier tonight, I was at a local arcade complex that just opened up a few weeks ago, and I spotted this and immediately played it. Made by Bally in 1979.

Happy 50th, ya filthy animals.

:eyepop:

I just love all the insanity you get post-cancellation and pre-TWoK. It was like everything was based on the idea of familiarity with the characters, and zero shits were given about anything else, even when TMP was a thing. TWoK really tightened up the franchise's image and gave it a consistent look that would last right up to TNG.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Got back from For the Love of Spock a little bit ago. It was... okay. First half was much better and more focused. After the TOS cancellation, things get... weird and jumpy. It was cool to hear about his theatre work and at least the photography gets a tiny section, but they jump straight from 1989 ("The Good Mother" bombing) to 2009 (Abrams film). No mention of Unification, which was A Big Deal when it happened. :( I guess they couldn't get Patrick Stewart.

Then it's "he died" and a brief (but touching) clip from his brother and... it just stops after the "what does Spock mean to you" montage from the trailer.

Everyone should still see it, of course, but it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be after I saw the trailer.

EDIT - Oh, and a lot of footage of Burning Man. For some reason.

After The War fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 10, 2016

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MorgaineDax posted:

I'm happy they mentioned all the Kirk/Spock slash. I always wondered what Takei thought of that.

I never got it, myself. Spock and McCoy were obviously the long-term couple that showed their love through bickering and one-upsmanship. They're practically finishing each other's sentences most of the time.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Kin posted:

Was there ever a Trek story where the current cast 'caught up' to an older generation of traveller moving at a slower speed due to their limited technology when they left Earth?

It seems familiar but i don't know if it's from Trek or not.

It seems generally assumed that all early human spaceflights are accounted for. There have been a few, especially in early TNG, where they'd find abandoned Earth vessels (Space Seed, Space Seed 2: Space SeedierThe Neutral Zone), forgotten colonies (Up the Long Ladder), or Lost Expeditions Where Bad poo poo Happened (The Royale). I can't think of anything where they find the descendants of early human explorers traveling in a functional ship at slow speed, but the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

It (along with "this is the generation that's finally going to fix the ship, you'll see!") was a pretty standard plot device in the Tom Baker era of Doctor Who, however.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Duckbag posted:

Again, Twilight Zone had very good roles for women and very little of the unexamined paternalism and leering objectification TOS had, despite being from the same era (slightly earlier, actually), belonging to the same genre, and frequently being set in the present. TOS had an unusual license to depict a future where women's place in society had changed, but instead chose to spend most of its time wallowing in mini-skirted WAC fantasies, brassy working girl cliches, and dated "space princess" exoticism. Change a few lines here and there (and lengthen the skirts a little) and most of the female roles would mesh perfectly into war/adventure serials from 20 or even 30 years earlier.

It's wrong to call it a product of its time. If anything, it was a throwback to a previous era masquerading as a vision of the future.

Duckbag posted:

I love the ghost hitchhiker episode. The main character is complex and relatable and the actress did a fantastic job.

As for any unfortunate implications, I'm fairly sure they were unintentional.

One of my favorite Twilight Zone moments comes a little later in the series when Serling starts his monologue by admitting that it's been suggested that he's not that good at writing female characters, and then introduces the female writer for that episode who he hopes will redeem his reputation. I really wish that Roddenberry had been capable of that level of humility and self-reflection at basically any point in his career.

I've posted about this in the Doctor Who thread, but Twilight Zone was very unusual as a TV show. Partly because of its access to major movie studio resources, but also that it came out of both the "TV Playhouse"-type anthologies Serling had previously worked on and the very active print sci-fi scene, which had women and minority authors and some progressive viewpoints (if you knew where to look).

Or, let me put it this way - the author of the definitive book on the Twilight Zone, including the histories of the stories they adapted, also wrote Far Beyond the Stars.

TOS, on the other hand, came out of the TV studio system, and all the Man's Man standards that came with it.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

DarthJeebus posted:

Watched Undiscovered Country again (the best TOS movie) for the first time in a while, is there a reason every scene with Rene Auberjonois was conveniently deleted in the theatrical version? Even the "big reveal" at the end.. what the hell? Curious why they did this.

Roddenberry demanded a lot of the "militant faction in Starfleet" stuff be cut, despite being, y'know the point of the loving movie. They put it back for the versions released after he died, though.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
To be sure, this is is something I've heard for ages, but Memory Alpha has the dreaded "Citation Needed" and this later on:

Memory Alpha posted:

The perceived racism toward the Klingons was of great concern to Roddenberry as well, as he felt there was no place for it in his Star Trek universe, but his considerations were entirely ignored by both Meyer and Nimoy. Aghast, he then summoned a meeting, even though Roddenberry had no formal say in the movie whatsoever. Complete with heavy legal representation, a very charged meeting followed between the two sides, which quickly turned into a shouting match as Meyer finally unleashed his years of pent up frustration with Roddenberry in full. In later years Meyer came to regret his behavior. "He was not well, and maybe there were more tactful ways of dealing with it, because at the end of the day, I was going to go out and make the movie. I didn't have to take him on. Not my finest hour.", a rueful Meyer recounted in 2011. Roddenberry died a few months later. ([4]; Star Trek Movie Memories, 1995, pp. 366-367)

Memory Alpha posted:

Gene Roddenberry saw the movie two days before he died. According to William Shatner's Star Trek Movie Memories (1995, p. 394), Roddenberry, after seeing the film, gave thumbs up all around, and then went back and phoned his lawyer, Leonard Maizlish, angrily demanding a full quarter-hour of the film's more militaristic moments be removed from the film, but Gene died before his lawyer could present his demands to the studio.

If anyone has a more complete breakdown of events, I'd love to hear it.

T.C. posted:

I really like Season One of The Next Generation. It almost a different show from all the rest of the modern Star Trek shows, and I think it's a show I might have preferred watching.
There's a certain... not quite grimdark, but... creep factor? Like Wesley getting impaled, or the "Peaceful Coexistence" mind control bugs, or the drug-addict flashback soldiers. You don't really see stuff like that after Season 1, although Season 2 loved them some skeletons:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

WickedHate posted:

Does anyone else really like that episode of TNG where Alexander comes back from the future to make his kid self a warrior? I've always been fond of it but never see it brought up.

It's too heartbreaking, because it suggests that Lursa and B'Etor are alive in the future. But then you remember Generations... :negative:

Generally, James Sloyan = great episode. But I can't speak for no Voyager.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trent posted:

Yes, but every scene not involving camping David Warner is bad, so

:colbert:

(This is how I feel about all media, tho)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Geez, like an Adam West Batman. :rolleyes:

Next thing you know, Frank Gorshin will show up.

Wait...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Q_res posted:

It's worth remembering, that late in its run DS9 surpassed Baywatch as the most watched first-run syndicated tv show on the planet.

That was also the very tail-end of the first-run syndication model as new series were starting up on the babby networks (WB and UPN), and basic cable (FX, Sci-Fi).

It was a strange era, but first-run syndication basically kept genre TV alive for a while (X-Files notwithstanding, and a fair number of X-Files knockoffs were syndicated.) Your Hercules, your Xena, hell, your Highlander.

They're never going to release Kung Fu: the Legend Continues on a home format, are they? :sigh:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Gonz posted:

Future Imperfect was on today, and there's just no excuse for Riker's alien captor turning out to be a 20 dollar Halloween costume.

Especially in season 4. I mean what the hell, producers.

After Andreas Katsulas, everything else in the episode would seem cheesy by comparison, anyway. :swoon:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, I'd be interested in reading some Trek comics (not necessarily new ones, either), but the only ones I know about are the cheesy Gold Key ones from 40 years ago.
I remember some good stuff in the DC range in the 80s-90s, especially for TOS, which did a good job of capturing the look and feel of the movies and did a lot of "fleshing out the universe and characters" stuff. Plus, the first volume of the reprints is all Peter David stuff, so you can't go wrong.

You may have just inspired me to pick it up, in fact!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cojawfee posted:

So is this what it was like for the TOS people right before TNG came out? "I was there for the good Star Trek, man."

There was a lot of negativity towards TNG, which the first season only aggrevated. The late 80s had its own run of lovely remakes/reboots and the original cast had just done a fantastic movie... and were also talking poo poo about the new series (well, Shatner mostly...) From season 2 they tried to push it away from TOS as much as possible, to the point where any kind of continuity was this mind-blowing thing (Sarek, I think was the high point of this). It's almost impossible in today's genre media landscape to imagine how separate the Star Treks were. For instance, DC comics did a storyline that took place half during TOS-era, and half TNG, with Old McCoy and Spock showing up on the Enterprise-D and was literally billed as "a first-time ever crossover." A goddamn tie-in comic.

Then the 25th rolled around, and this happened:

Spock! On TNG! Actual Leonard Nimoy Spock! Parents and children were reunited, long-standing feuds dropped, the world shifted. In other words, The Undiscovered Country, a movie very much focused on bringing the two universes together. It was a big deal that they even tried to go for a half-way point between the two styles of Klingon makeup. And, y'know, Michael Dorn.

Of course, that would lead to Scotty showing up, then the Mirror Universe returning, Generations and enough of a mishmash by Enterprise that it all became... pointless.

But Unification, man. That was important.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cojawfee posted:

The Search for Spock: Bad

Point of order! Search For Spock wasn't considered bad until Final Frontier came along and fans wanted to make a pattern. It's probably the closest any of the movies come to the feel of TOS, thanks in no small part to Christopher Lloyd's 100% Old School Stupid Plan Klingon.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
8) The terrible attempt at recreating the Mos Eisley Cantina that's pulled straight from a Vegas airport

Noted Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy:

Whoever said the TOS movies were like the series in higher definition was spot on. Even if the walls aren't orange.

After The War fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 28, 2016

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
That's it! I'm done with you guys' bad opinions! I just got me some vintage bad opinions!

Hopefully I can find something as gloriously terrible as "Indiana Skywalker Meets the Son of Star Trek" from my Best of the Best of Trek collection. If you don't know that one, it was a post-WoK essay about how terrible that movie was, how incompatible it was with the utopian ideals of the series, how it was all spectacle threatening to turn Star Trek into something as dumb and violent as Star Wars, and heaping praise upon TMP. If I can find the full text online, I'll post a link.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I guess the day job is starting to wear off on me. I work for a group that represents folks who use hearing aids, cochlear implants, and other assistive devices, and Geordi presents a kind of visibility (no pun intended) that you don't see anywhere else. The thought of even one kid feeling less ashamed about their hearing aid (or whatever) because of Geordi's VISOR is pretty :unsmith:.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Lord Hydronium posted:

Even if there's not the budget for crazy aliens, that could have been a fun thing to have offscreen mentions of in one of the series. "Oh, Ensign Zyxyzz spun his web in the Jeffries tube again!"

They did this from time to time. Remember the tree ensign on DS9 that everyone was excited was budding?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Someone update that "Enterprise A is garbage" gif with philosophy chat

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'd count that time the unjoined Trill steals the Dax symbiant, myself.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Timby posted:

Yeah, I finally understood the meaning when I was taking Latin in my freshman year of high school.

"Oh, poo poo, Locutus means Speaker!" :aaa:

It's just so goddamn classy I can only assume Picard came up with it when the collective was trying to think of a name designation. Or maybe he wasn't supposed to even have a designation and just started calling himself that to :chord: Riker.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Tighclops posted:

the ship looks like a paper plate buzzing around unless you get into extreme close ups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6iloWv-ygI&t=80s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Drone posted:

Star Trek: Cetacean Ops. It's just a bunch of humpback whales in comically-oversized Starfleet uniforms blooooping at each other.

I was going to say that sounds awfully familiar, then it occurred to me that book might have been the reason for the someone thinking of Cetacean Decks when TNG was being created.