Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Nice try, but that's clearly Lumba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

PenguinKnight posted:

the guy that's captured data in "The Most Toys" is shatnering like a motherfucker

this is some a+ scenery chewing

also, season 3 of TNG is the season of shameful holodeck usage, with Barclay's larping and data's ship boning

It's amazing they were able to find that dude half-way through the episode's production.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Apple Jax posted:

I've got a 1/2 day at work tomorrow and am basically going straight there after work. I wanna wear one of my trek uniforms to the con but that means leaving work with it on and man I do not have the guts for that. It would be the day I get stuck in the elevator with the CEO for sure.

Josh Lyman! :argh:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Barclay has a soul because he was able to remember everything during transport, even though it's been established multiple times that the transporter breaks you down molecule by molecule and turns you into energy.

God what a poo poo episode that was.

The Barclay particles that comprise the matter stream remain entangled during transport! Or something!
                  /
                /
:techno:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

This is why everyone in the future makes detailed personal logs several times a day.

It works for the Weyouns, doesn't it?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

2x08, The Changeling. (No, it's not an early appearance of Odo's people.) It's actually a really good episode, but yeah, the part with Uhura's memory is kind of hosed up.

Also, don't play any kind of redshirt drinking game with this one.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The anecdotes pulled by the Ars Technica writer are ones this thread is familiar with, but The Fifty-Year Mission: The Complete, Uncensored, Unauthorized Oral History of Star Trek does sound like a nice read.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Bryan Fuller has said that Balance of Terror is 'a touchstone' for Discovery. Romulan War confirmed?

http://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/774062077811929090

Sarek, the Romulan Commander and Spock are George Senior, Oscar and Buster, respectively.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Deep cut from Mr Moore:

https://twitter.com/RonDMoore/status/776955223902330880

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Here are some very excellent, correct opinions about The Voyager Home:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/20/star-trek-iv-voyage-home-leonard-nimoy

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Astroman posted:

To be fair, this is what a lot of the fan films were doing, and they showed you could pull off a period accurate show to TOS with the same sets, costumes, lighting, props, sound effects, music, and visual effects on a shoestring budget thanks to modern consumer technology. It would be cheap as hell to do a "modern" pre-TOS show that was authentic, though it would tank in the ratings because nobody would watch it besides King Nerds (of which I am one).

That said, the $5M per episode figure for Enterprise being thrown around is probably not equal to what you could do on today's visual effects budgets. They've come a long way and are a lot cheaper. You could probably make Enterprise today for a lot less. Also if they don't get a big name like Bakula, they will save somewhat on actor salaries.

There's a tremendous amount of free labour in these fan projects, though.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

T.C. posted:

I really like Season One of The Next Generation. It almost a different show from all the rest of the modern Star Trek shows, and I think it's a show I might have preferred watching.

It's the only season of modern Star Trek that seems to try and feel like the original series. Sure, part of that is reused scripts, but I think a lot of it is the energy and approach to the show. After season two or so, you don't see as much of that connection. The slightly too on the nose morality plays, the winking at the camera on occassion, the corny conceptually interesting planets of the week...

The characters are a little confused, but they're also more vibrant.

Crusher barely has a personality in some of the later seasons. She has a bit too much 'doctor mom' going on in the first season, but she also is clearly being used as a McCoy analogue. She's morally outraged in private a few times with Picard, she has really strong opinions and she uses her autonomous authority more than she seems to later.

Beard Riker is a more mature person, but I really like season one Riker. He's over the top, but it's enjoyable. He's clearly a man that takes his job seriously, but is a bit of a trouble maker. He's still pretty good later, and he gets better at holding a sense of authority, but he also gets kind of grumpy.

Geordi ended up being great as Chief Engineer, but they lost something with it. Geordi was really neat as the inexperienced command officer. The two times he was in command both resulted in great scenes.

I like early pinnochio Data. I like the angle that he is a child and doesn't understand humanity, rather than what he became. Later he was more of a tragic figure fighting for something he could never achieve. I really enjoyed how into things he got in The Big Goodbye.

The whole thing is played with more of a sense of wonder, if that makes sense. The universe feels wild and open. The acting was more theatrical. The lighting wasn't as boringly bright and flat as it would later become.

And really, the music. The music made such a difference. It didn't completely go away after season one, but season one was the only one that was really scored like the original series. I think the scoring also gave them cover for some of the over-acting that I kind of enjoy. You can get away with chewing some scenery when you've got a dramatic musical theme playing over top.

You make some good points, but I think the problem is that the ideas Roddenberry had developed during his Years In The Desert were fundamentally at odds with each other. He was simultaneously unmoored from the dullness of contemporary TV and hopelessly behind the times when it came to running a production.

Roddenberry came down from the mount and proclaimed that the 24th century is a more evolved time, with a crew that's more grown up and serious, etc, etc. The problem is, it doesn't mesh at all with the golly-gee-whiz after-school special approach the show takes with characters like Geordi and Data. Characterization in general is all over the place it's painfully obvious when the writers flip someone into exposition mode. Sure, you get fun balls-to-to-wall weird premises, but just as often feel like they were written for a 50 minute runtime and then crammed into the 44 minutes at the last second.

When it comes to the lighting and music, I half-agree with you again. It's much more exciting and cinematic but at the same time feels far more slapdash. The ridiculousness of having to tape black construction paper to the LCARS panels at the back of the bridge are the quintessential example of a production where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Lord Hydronium posted:

On the subject of stock Trek plots, DS9 really liked "everyone plays out of character" episodes, didn't they. There's "alien influence causes weird personality shifts" (Dramatis Personae), "evil/alternate versions of the main characters" (all the Mirror Universe episodes), and episodes where they just play entirely different characters (Our Man Bashir, Far Beyond the Stars). I suppose you could also count Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang with the characters themselves intentionally acting as different people.

e: That's not even to mention all the individual characters getting possessed by aliens, Pah-Wraiths, or being replaced by Changelings. Or Prophets appearing as other characters.

Man, Dramatis Personae would have been great as, like, a late season two episode. They managed to hold off longer than the TNG staff did with The Naked Now but it was still way too early to have fun with a characterization swap.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

We did get Mass Effect, even though it was a video game. I liked Mass Effect because it was a hell of a lot like Star Wars and Star Trek.

Bioware was smart enough to rip off so many franchises that nearly every type of science fiction geek could find something they liked in Mass Effect.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Good grief, STO's Enterprise F looks even more like a spoon in the real world.

https://twitter.com/STO_JamJamz/status/779067667911106560

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Or at the very least if they use the holodeck use it realistically and have them use holosims where they fling themselves out of an aeroplane and have a mid-air shooting fight before surfing a crocodile to safety

They had to curtail the James bond holosuite stuff after MGM complained, but I hope that Dan Ryckert is a little more understanding.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

At least BSG was audacious enough with its Space Terrorism season to make the main cast the terrorists.

e: except for Fat Lee. that was just a terrible idea all around

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

How would you tax popularity? You have to publicly say you like someone less popular once a month or something?

Edit: You have to lose some of your popularity by endorsing something you or your fans disagree with. At higher popularity tax rates, you have to say "Maybe the Romulans had some good ideas?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI4kiPaKfAE

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Finster Dexter posted:

I think TNG should be given some credit when Geordi rejected being healed of blindness when Riker got Q powers. Of course, Braga and Berman poo poo all over that in the movies...

I'm pretty sure that was also the message they were attempting to give in this garbage pile of an episode:

(there are surprisingly few GIF that turn up when searching for this moment)

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

After The War posted:

They did this from time to time. Remember the tree ensign on DS9 that everyone was excited was budding?

Don't be hasty!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Positrons won't necessarily cause something to explode at a macro scale or else PET scans would be a lot less popular.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Apologies for tumblr content, but I thought this was hilarious.

http://images.cybersomnia.com/tumblr_startrekheadcannon.png

This was kind of the premise of Alan Dean Foster's The Damned books, except with an emphasis on our prowess as killing machines.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

thexerox123 posted:

"Join the Collective! You will never be lonely again, and you get a free ocular implant!"

Work as a drone by day, escape to Unimatrix Zero at night! It can't be much worse than working a 9-5!

They're supposed to be able to adapt to anything... I think this would be a sensible adaptation after all of their encounters with humans. They take a page out of the Federation's playbook, basically.

Aggressive Hegemonising Swarm Objects are so passé. They assimilated someone who'd read the Culture novels and were instantly converted into an Evangelical Hegemonising Swarm.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

WeAreTheRomans posted:

*ahem* FTFY

anyway time to just keep talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt (it was really quite hypnotic)

This is becoming a speech...

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

My reasoning is that that's what they were doing in the holosuites anyway. They wore the costumes because that's their joint fetish. Keiko just turned a blind eye because it kept Miles happy/out of her hair, and she's not into dressing up like a Viking wench.

~*~enlightened 24th century values~*~

Arglebargle III posted:

Call me naive but I think it's possible for two men to have a platonic friendship.

If they confine it to the holosuite, isn't it more of a photonic relationship?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Marshal Radisic posted:

It looks more like the uniform he had during the first two seasons. After the first mirror universe episode, Auberjonois liked the costume he had, so the costuming people redesigned his regular uniform to fit more like that one.

I'm pretty sure Nana Visitor had the same opinion about her mirror universe costume.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Executive producer can mean so many things that it's essentially meaningless without more details. Will he be in the writer's room? Will he still have a say in casting the lead? Are the new showrunners people he wanted to be brought in?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgD-UK_zn3k&t=72s

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Can't really beat the TUC bridge for sheer class.

Although in terms of layout (certainly not in terms of colour, ugh) I always really liked the Prometheus bridge. Which I assume was a modified TUC bridge.

Memory Alpha is a bit confusing on the topic. I'm pretty sure the base of the TUC bridge was the same set that had served as the original TOS bridge, but it also talks about how a bunch of it was severely hosed up when they briefly stored it outside:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

If you got time to lean, you got time to clean.

Loose hips destroy ships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMHAZwR-BdQ

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

QuantaStarFire posted:

Didn't Terry Farrel also have issues with being outside and poo poo? Like, actual health reasons? I've heard it mentioned, but never really heard any details regarding it.

She had to be kept in the shade as much as possible during location shoots because she basically explodes when exposed to natural sunlight.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

https://twitter.com/OhPoorPup/status/793645833765871616

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Yeah. For Berman's credit, he was a great money-man and great at running interference. If he'd kept to that, he would've been ideal. Issue was, he had a vision.

Vision, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN6mp5hVSSc

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Roddenberry as gently caress

He'd been dead for almost two years at that point, so it was clearly his horny ghost's doing.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

All Good Things isn't a two-parter, it's just a double-length episode, which is probably a huge part of why it works better than most of the two-parters.

What, you're not a fan of the Michael "time for a summer vacation, we'll figure out how to break the cliffhanger when we get back" Piller method?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Related, does anyone listen to Mission Log? For some reason I've become increasingly bored of them, which is weird since they are just getting into the meat of TNG that I like.

They're very much in the pro-Roddenberry camp and Ken has been expressing increasing discomfort with the character-based storytelling of many of the episodes that were written after Gene's death. It's a big aggravating.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Met posted:

I think they're respectful of Gene but not shy about his faults in storytelling. They're financed by Rod Roddenberry and I always keep that in mind but I don't think that stops them from criticizing Gene.

I don't think that they're afraid to disagree with things Gene said, but their whole shtick is dissecting the ~messages, morals and meanings~ of Trek and they sometimes when a good character study doesn't read more like a morality play.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Trickjaw posted:

I haven't seen the book, but earlier books have quotes and stuff. All the production staff loved her, and I'm sure Gene tried to.. get to know her better

MorgaineDax included the anecdote where Roddenberry bragged about giving Majel an infection, but here's the preceding bit where she drills into his character:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Clickhole has posted "An Oral History of Star Trek." Pretty informative.

http://www.clickhole.com/article/oral-history-star-trek-5174

A season-long arc of Kirk looking for his keys would have been legit amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Has being on Trek really been that great a gig? I've always assumed that it's kinda a blessing and a curse in that if you're not exceedingly good at avoiding being typecast as whatever you did on the show, you're screwed.

Jimmy Doohan got decades of rent-free lodging in the rafters of the Desilu studios!