Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

See some of this is legitimate criticism. But so much of it is just pedantic nitpicking.

It's the second in the series that gets into how Movie Picard is the diametric opposite of TV Picard that really hits it. The rest is pretty nitpicky, but the point is that the movie is Not Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pretty much every TV show has terrible episodes, and TNG only having like 3-ish seasons that are not considered "great" is pretty good for the amount of content they chugged out.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

McSpanky posted:

This is old but seems to bear constant repeating:

:colbert:

I skipped the "Enterprise meets Joe Piscopo, comedy legend" episode, come at me.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

One of the dumbest things about Generations is that it kills off Picard's family from that episode. Generations was all about killing characters terribly I guess.

And establishing that the Enterprise is lit like a submarine.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That bridge sucks, it looks like the break room at a Sports Authority
:holymoley:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

That was made by the mod we don't talk about.

There are like 2-3 of these by my count, so maybe PMs?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's funny you mention that though, because people in here keep talking about designs they find ugly. If you really want some ugly designs that make no sense, look no further than STO. I mean, just look at these monstrosities:

:barf: :barf:

People who poo poo on the Excelsior \ Sovereign \ Galaxy \ NX-Refit \ whatever should just think of the horrible turds that cryptic designs and that should give them a little perspective.

"You liked Starcraft 2, right?"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Falken posted:

You know, looking back I always find it amusing that I was the only teenager out of my group of trek friends who didn't really get on board with the whole catsuit deal. I always wanted her to be in a Starfleet uniform, and preferred her look in that holodeck episode (name?) and Relativity where she has her Borg implants removed and is in a Science uniform.

I am not sure anyone actually bought 7 of 9 as anything other than what she was.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Who created the Holodeck? I would like to punch them in the nose.

The Holodeck is the single most terrifying piece of Star Trek technology in a universe of terrifying technology. Its ramifications are incomparable to any other technological breakthrough in human history.

Very early on it is established that the Holodeck can easily generate lethal force, and if you word your requirements to the computer carelessly, it will go so far as to create sentient intelligence that can cause the rest of the ship to critically malfunction and eventually even achieve life.

By all rights it is far too dangerous even for an advanced society, as it bestows god-like and often unintended power at the turn of a phrase, but even so the Enterprise crew have almost no practical appreciation for even its most basic capabilities. Using the Holodeck, you can solve for literally any problem. With enough practice, you could probably even match the capabilities of most of the demigods that the Enterprise regularly encounters, simply by projecting the Holodeck's full capabilities with enough skill and practice. There are a few episodes that touch on this, until we get the more gritty DS9, which decides that most people would just use it for a really good wank.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe they can just make all the women be naked in the new show.

With the Holodeck you could just make naked versions of all the women, program them to think that this was normal, and then make them sentient after you use the Holodeck to kill all the real people. However, to make a long story short, this episode more or less ends with the flashback sequences from Event Horizon.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Am I the only one who thinks they should just continue the DS9/Voyager timeline instead of trying to do retro shows? You can't have the 60's back. It's done.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There's this pretense by superfans that the show's tech is consistent in the continuity. It isn't. It doesn't matter that transporters are OP. But even then, they've been writing ways to take the transporter out of the stories when necessary, or make their efficacy less than certain, since the beginning.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Television was a lot different in 1987, and anything Star Trek made today, no matter the exact setting, would have modernized storytelling unless it's just absolute poo poo. Generally the issue with Voyager/Enterprise was that they were still cribbing from a 20-year old playbook of storytelling.

I don't really understand why there is a faction of fans insisting that the new show has to look like 1960's low-budget rubbish, the new Trek movie sets generally work and I would argue are even great for the most part. Star Trek should always look like the future, not a constant that can be measured for the benefit of lovely nerds.

I will say that nuTrek's engineering section might be a little too Star Wars.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

Kinda. Jellico isn't an rear end in a top hat so much as he is really incompetent. The man had to resort to threatening to murder hundreds to actually achieve his goal because if he'd been negotiating like he allegedly was assigned to, he would've started a goddamn war.

It's another flashpoint where Gene's utopian thinking clashed with what humans actually do and the dramatic limitations of depicting a society supposedly without conflict even on the interpersonal level.

The Enterprise was conceived of as an exploration vessel that had armaments to defend itself but eschewed warfare. Never the less you inevitably get stories where the Enterprise is being used as a warship, but still everyone on the ship can pretty much do whatever because this is a utopia, not a story about real things, you see.

Basically, every time Gene vetoed a TNG script for depicting non-utopian stuff as he saw it, it was him being a lovely old fucker, because even early Star Trek is full of stuff that contradicts this supposed mandate. I'm not GLAD HE'S DEAD or anything, but his death immeasurably improved TNG, by which point he had almost no one to prevent him from his worst excesses as a person and a writer.

Quite obviously, Gene would have never permitted a character like Jellico. Unless he felt like it that day.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

Everyone else has starfighters, because they are super cool. And we do have one setting where starfighters aren't king. It's called Star Trek.

This seems to generally be because the weapon arrays on starships are so overwhelming that maneuverability is meaningless. Dennis Okuda wrote in a Star Trek Encyclopedia that the Enterprise-D can fire on 30 different targets simultaneously.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

The fact that they use telepathic and empathic aliens in an official capacity is such bullshit. They could just pretend you're lying and no one would know.

"I didn't do that thing you're accusing me of."
"He's lying, captain, I can sense it."
"Well that proves it, shoot him out the airlock."

In practice, Troi is just a Gwen DeMarco, not much of an advantage and more often than not a weak point, since you can pretty easily knock her out just with the pure force of being an rear end in a top hat.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

I hope it's more like
Axanar was the Federation's biggest failure. They put a man in charge of something he had no business meddling in. We don't speak about it anymore.

We don't speak of Commander Boreale.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Well Manicured Man posted:

Didn't kid Worf kill another kid in a soccer match?

See, we really all deserve a Worf show.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"We've digitally mapped the brains of all the players in this game for use in holodeck simulations. Let's see what happens when we arbitrarily change setting conditions..."

First you tweak historical games so that referees make the "right" calls. A few iterations later, Breaking Madden gets a lot more real and much scarier. A few iterations after that, we've inserted all the players' brains into orangutan bodies. Let's see what happens next!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

In addition to being totally unprepared for working 15-hour days, she didn't get along with anyone in the cast and crew.

15 hours is basically the TV/film standard, so lol

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kin posted:

I'm just watching unification (is this a typo in the Blu Ray menu?) part 2 of TNG and the scene of Riker in the bar talking to the 4 armed piano player has just made me realise what I've always found stale in star trek. It's too bland and sterile.

Like, all aliens are just humans with a different mask. Where are space pirates and bounty hunters and the like?

Don't get me wrong, there's bad stuff out there but it all feels so... civilised.

I think there was/is a standing rule against space pirates/bounty hunters, but then again there are early ferengi.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Keep in mind it's just a show, you should really just relax

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Ocampa can only reproduce once in their life. If they miss the opportunity it will never happen again.

They give birth to a single child.

Voyager writers, ladies and gentlemen.

So like, space pandas then.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The General posted:

To be fair his father was never there, and when he was, he was cheating at the most advanced of martial arts.

Gene's whole "in the future people are always happy and free of conflict" is total Bullshit. I think I've heard Gene was against that episode where that kid loses his mom. Because in the future it's just "whelp mom died. Back to calculus." - Jimmy the 4th grader.

Gene's feelings on any given TNG episode varied by the hour.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WickedHate posted:

It was in the same pre-production document as the Ferengi dong.

My favorite part of TNG writer stories is everyone learning to routinely overlook Gene's flavor text.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I'm at the end of season one of TOS, and the only BAD one so far has been "The Alternative Factor." The rest are at least decent.

On rewatching "Space Seed," though, I was kind of surprised to find that it's one of the weaker first season episodes, to me at least.

It drops off a cliff at season three.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

bull3964 posted:

When you die, your ghost merges with all your quantum duplicates, you become one with the collective experience.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

UPN viewers

If you're bad, you go to a place where the dead believe they're still livin' and they pray for death, but death won't come.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WickedHate posted:

You're not supposed to shoot medics, but if a medic picks up a gun, that's fair game. For this reason, you can't paint red crosses on trucks carrying weapons or whatever. It's pretty simple. Don't disguise military targets as civilians.

I myself enjoy targeting medical facilities with artillery in Company of Heroes 2. The red cross is a target.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There are people talking about this same subject (music designed to not be noticeable) in the CD film score thread.

The jist is that it's much easier to edit around unremarkable filler music and stings than wait for the composer to come up with sweet tunes for everything. Hence there are no memorable pieces in any Marvel movie, for example.

Also I'm not convinced that the early TNG music is that great, it sounds like poo poo you hear on 80's direct-to-VHS stuff/babby's first synth score.

The TNG budget was low enough that they liked to write "bottle" episodes (no unique/episode-specific sets), so if they had to sacrifice that kind of music to get the show done, it's a deal.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tighclops posted:

It was the 80's, if it's not ok to sound like babby's first synth score in those days then I don't know what's acceptable quite frankly

I really hated that by the time you get to Voyager, the music and opening teasers are like "oh hi harry off to wank in the holodeck again" "oh cool tom I'll see you on the bridge" WAHH WAAHH WAHH WAHHHHH *fade to black*

like who the gently caress were they trying to get watching this show?

On the other hand, "Wow, music that a 20-year-old kid could make in half an hour in his basement, this is truly timeless." And it's not good 80's synth either.

If they were mothballing stuff like they might do today, such as orchestral pieces (even the fake-sounding stuff that they record separately and then overlay), then I could see the concern. The original series themes are about a thousand times better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWE8TYxgG9s

Voyager is of course trash.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

First Contact is not so much bad as it is not a very good Trek movie, and no, Captain Picard doesn't make any sense in it, and no, the plot doesn't make any sense. It is the best TNG movie, which is not a high bar. Also, RLM doesn't hate it so much as just point out these facts and remark that it's a mediocre movie.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DarthJeebus posted:

Honestly Generations is the best TNG movie, comparatively speaking. It has the Enterprise D, it has the cast as we know and love them, (including Guinan) it's well lit, it's still vaguely Star Trek. The plot and its odd contrivances are no worse than a mediocre two-parter episode, and Shatner's presence isn't really a dealbreaker IMO. Welp that's my terrible opinion.

First Contact was hella badass and fun to watch in Theaters though.

Yeah it's hard to hate it so much as hate how they wrote out Shatner.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

No one told the writers how the federatio works either. So sometimes it's full propertyless communism, other times it seems to be some sort of regulated play-capitalism with so much plenty no one cares or even uses money.

This is no more inconsistent than how the shows handled Federation economics historically.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Trent posted:

It really only matters to a federation starship when poo poo has already seriously hit the fan.

Then it matters!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I've never bothered with Enterprise because I irrationally hate Scott Bakula and how white bread he is.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

cargohills posted:

I can't believe people like things popularly thought by nerds to be bad. I will complain about this in the Star Trek thread.

A mod is preparing to make a CD-Lite forum for people who don't like SMG-posting. It's gotten waaay out of hand, but it's really hard to get more than a six-hour probation for doing anything, and this is what we've come to. Thus angryposting about CD in every movie thread.

quote:

In my post-DS9 trek canon Romulus is fine and nothing extremely stupid happened.

Even when people were still digesting that someone had made interesting Star Trek for the first time since DS9, we were all flummoxed by the ST '09 villain with no intelligible backstory (unless you had read a comic or something, which is an automatic storytelling failure in my book).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

skasion posted:

Kylo is nerd bait. He's a socially awkward white man with no friends, estranged from his family, who obsesses over the events of the original trilogy and cosplays as Darth Vader. He's obsessed with the original trilogy yet hates it too. He's there to appeal to Star Wars fans who feel embittered and betrayed at the direction the franchise took, in much the same way as Finn is there to appeal to random moviegoers who are like "uh so is this the one with Captain Kirk?" and Rey is there to appeal to kids who are just there for the uncritical enjoyment of the power fantasy of the hero's journey, which is why she can do literally anything the plot demands. As for the plot itself it's supposed to be a recap pretty much. I don't think the movie could care less about the political subtext from the original/prequel trilogies, it's a Star Wars movie about how audiences relate to Star Wars.

I've always felt that Kylo is directly making fun of those people, not appealing to them. But not everyone watching may be able to tell the difference.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zurui posted:

Star Trek: I hate Star Trek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Star Trek is very humanist even now that Roddenberry is dead and buried, and religions such as they are in Star Trek tend to be Actually Real.