Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

All right, which one of you guys made this page? Kinda weak jokes, I know, but outrage is outrage..

https://www.facebook.com/Garth-Alec-seek-Leaker-Is-it-YOU-290243024650080/?ref=all_category_pyml_rhc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Noticed that all the Axanar Prod. website seems to be doing these days is reviews of other productions and other log-rolling endeavors.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

I want to like TAS, but I just can't get past how bad some of the voice acting is. Pretty much all non-main characters are crap.

Pretty much 90% of all the male voices that weren't the Enterprise crew were done by James Doohan. Majel Barrett and Nichelle Nichols platooned for most of the female voices.

Takei did some of the other voices, and Filmation staff did a lot of the rest.

Shatner, of course only played himself.

Basically Arex was Scotty minus the brogue/accent and with a bad nasal drip.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

One more word about warp- in the second season TOS episode By Any Other Name, the Kelvans are able to modify the Enterprise so it can get to the Andromeda Galaxy in only 300 years, mercifully they only make mention once where Chekov cranks up the ship so that it goes to Warp 11.

They do so, but that's just while they're still in our galaxy; I'd imagine they cranked it up to something higher once they got past the negative energy barrier.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Coming soon to a comic book shop near you, more Deep Space Nine and more (erg) Voyager:

I feel this would look better if he were holding a baseball.. the station is redundant

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

From Star Trek: Waypoint #1, we see what happens when Data's body fails and he uploads himself into the Enterprise:

Wonder if there's a copy of him cleaning out the plasma conduits somewhere..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The Dumbsday Machine (starring the Pakleds)

Who Mourns For A Donut?

That Which Abides (guest starring Jeff Bridges)

Let That Be Your Last Earl Grey

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Dicky mouse posted:

Jus think of all the money they could save if they made a show about ship staffed with data's

Already done in the Star Trek Waypoint graphics novel..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Or will it be the return of "vague blackface with copious spiritgum beards"?

I want this so bad.

Have Bryan Cranston guest star as an obnoxious conteporary of Kor, just give him the same makeup as Breaking Bad covered with a brown spray tan.

Probably impossible, considering they're blowing their monetary wad on the effects.

It WOULD make Trek cosplay affordable again, too.. those foreheads cost money!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Gonz posted:

I dropped off some cat food at the no-kill shelter here for their Christmas drive, and I saw the damndest thing.

These cats cannot go back to Cheron, because Cheron was destroyed.

I dunno, I get more of a Dr Thomas Leighton vibe... (Conscience of the King, TOS)

"... and the bloody thing he did !!"

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Insurrection was on BBC America last night and somehow I never got to watch it in its entirety before.

There are better movies than Insurrection, but I somehow liked it as much as First Contact. Gonna have to buy the DVD with the Frakes/Sirtis commentary, I imagine, from what everyone on SA says about it, that it's basically got a life of its own and I could probably just listen to the movie while surfing somewhere and still be entertained..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Timby posted:

Koenig used to joke at conventions that at one point when Khan was on the Enterprise, he really, really, really needed to go to the bathroom, and Chekov spent so long in there that Khan nearly pissed himself, which is why Khan was so angry to see him on Ceti Alpha V.

The story I heard was that right after the events of Space Seed, Denebian stomach flu swept the Enterprise and sections of the ship were quarantined immediately by the ship's computer.

Chekov happened to be guarding Khan when his section was cut off from the rest of the ship, both suddenly felt the stab of the flu hit their stomachs as the computer dryly announced a biohazard alert, and they both scrambled to find the nearest toilet. Khan hadn't bothered to make himself familiar with the Enterprise in detail, so instinctual knowledge of the ship won out over genetically superior leg muscles. Just as Khan rounded a hallway corner, his heart dropped and his eyes bulged in anger as he saw Chekov slam shut the door of the only available toilet in the quarantined section.

Some versions of the story say Khan was able to wait it out until Chekov finished through the use of his genetically superior butt muscles.

This explains Khan's pained countenance when he says "I never forget a face... Mister... :whispers: CHEKOV."

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 13, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I read that as 'titties' and I was about to vehemently disagree.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

skasion posted:

Spoken like someone who doesn't remember The Cloud Minders

What Are Little Girls Made Of says you're wrong.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

mllaneza posted:

The Gold Key comics were wonderful. The artist had very... limited references to work from.

Alberto Giolitti was an artist who was born in Italy in 1923, then moved to South America later, then lived in the US long enough to get citizenship, then moved back to Rome in 1960. His art is full of wonderful examples of classical statues and Rome-inspired architecture. One of his inspirations was Alex Raymond, who drew the original Flash Gordon strips, and he drew a lot of ships and tech from that era in his Gold Key run.

He was extremely prolific and a consummate photographer as well; in fact, when he had trouble drawing the Enterprise in his early Star Trek issues, he bought an AMT model, photographed it in various positions, and drew it in from the photos!

He also never, ever got to see the original TV show until well after he finished his run on the Gold Key comics. Someone literally just sent him the standard press kit for the TV show (you often see the characters in the comic as redraws of stock poses from that kit) and he pretty much winged everything else from there. That's why in the example, the bridge looks like an amalgam of mad scientist displays and machines; anyone who ever watched the show even once knows Spock doesn't sit in front of some big lump of poo poo, he has a flat console with screens and a peep show funnel. He kinda started to draw the real bridge towards the end of his run.

In a nod to the off-kilter Gold Key comics, IDW's current Trek comic "Star Trek: Waypoint" recognizes the Gold Key "universe" as a distinct genre, they've already had stories set there. In the Gold Key universe, they play fast and loose with technology, often adopting 40's-50s style ideas of robots and spaceships, and all the Klingons are either bald or wear Moe haircuts and sashes and pirate boots.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 15, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Pacra posted:

New crewmate Kathy Li comes aboard the enterprise. Sulu is smitten, but unfortunately for him...

One thing of note is that Kathy Li is based on a real-life person of the same name that Peter David met through Star Trek discussion groups on USENET; he became fond enough of her that he wrote her into the comic as a character, hence the real-life closeup there.

They also met IRL: http://www.peterdavid.net/2010/02/22/comic-con-1992-part-1/

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 20, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Astroman posted:

... A number of prominent officers from TOS should be serving as well, some in lower ranks than we saw them later--Pike, Number One, Spock, Doctors Boyce and Piper, Garth of Izar, future "Commander of Starfleet" Henry Morrow, future Admiral Cartwright, Admiral Marcus from the JJverse, future Commodores like Stone, Mendez, Wesley, Matt Decker. Like it or not, Kirk is an active officer, either in the Academy or on the Farragut depending on the exact year of the show. ...

You could definitely get some good backstories of some other characters, too.

Captain Ron Tracey might have a deal go bad on him and put him on the path to the events of The Omega Glory.
Roger Korby might be the Federation answer to Indiana Jones for an episode or two.
Lieutenant Stiles might be attending a lot of funerals.. :smith:
Devote an episode to the grand opening of a new colony on some little ol' planet on the Fed frontier called Cestus III..

I could also see Paramount exerting some influence and force someone to stick Garth of Izar into one of the first episodes..
Garth will be portrayed as a well meaning-but-bumbling tactical officer just to gently caress with the Axanar tards.
Anywhere but a starship's bridge, he is a total fuckup. :downsgun:
No, worse than Barkley.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 22, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

^^^ Nice job, Pacra!

Oh, once again, footnote time.. The transporter officer, Sara Tuchinsky, is based yet again on real-life Sara Tuchinsky who was an editor at Marvel Comics that Peter David worked with. Peter really gets around, huh? I believe David has written other real life folks into his writing, but I'll be damned if I can remember any who weren't female. Whatevs.

sbaldrick posted:

They should show Garth of Izar being awesome and do his whole story just to really gently caress with the Axanar people

No, because Alec Peters already did this and made himself Garth so he could be his own Mary Sue in Prelude to Axanar.

If I were Paramount I'd make Garth a drooling knucklehead just to gently caress with his Axanar, that way people will definitely be able to differentiate between 'canon' and 'whatever Alec Peters thinks is the TOS universe.'

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 23, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apologies if this has been posted already..

HAAAAARRR--COOOUUUURRRRRTTTTTTT!

http://www.startrek.com/article/rainn-wilson-his-name-is-mudd-on-discovery

Rainn Wilson to reprise the role of Mudd!

Wonder who's gonna be Stella?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

HAAAAARRR--COOOUUUURRRRRTTTTTTT!

http://www.startrek.com/article/rainn-wilson-his-name-is-mudd-on-discovery

Rainn Wilson to reprise the role of Mudd!

Oh yeah...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nTlgM4tgWs

"f-f-f-five hundred.. ppppbbbbppptttttt!"

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 31, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Oh geez space hippies and announcer with bad ears on BBC Murica..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Boy I hate the 3rd season of TOS.. and BBC 'Murrica is showing them out of sequence just to annoy everyone.

I'd mention the title but pretty sure this will do it:

help me.. kirk

now do the vulcan

only in the DC comics did the excalbians ever get their comeuppance, kinda

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

The third series - well, I only remembered scraps from it. I think I would have liked it when I was a kid (it has a continuing story after all, that was rare, and fighting aliens with motorcycles that transform into power armor etc) but aside from the sheer surrealness of the premise (a '50s motorcycle gang mixes with Iron Man in a world falling apart under alien occupation) it doesn't have much. We learn of the alien's plans, and they involve, I dunno, dinosaur murder or something.

The third series was called New Generation and among other things had a cross gender character, one of the first to be introduced to a US Saturday morning 'prime time' audience. IMHO it was probably just as good as Macross in different ways.

quote:

Even Southern Cross could mix it up a bit with bizarre plot twists (the captain of the heavy armor division commits what would be treason *again* without consequence) but this show has nothing that I can see.

Episode #78, "Ghost Town," says you need a better memory.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Nessus posted:

:justpost: :bignews: :justpost:

I want to hear more about this and also those other old Trek comics some goon was talking about like a million posts back.

It was either The_Other or me, as we're mostly the only two goons who even -care- about old Star Trek comics. I'm the goon who wrote about the infamous Gold Key Star Trek comics, which were drawn mostly by a classically trained artist (Alberto Giolitti) who drew several years of the Gold Key comic without ever once having watched even one real episode.

When Marvel Comics got the Star Trek license, they were essentially told they had to invent poo poo from whole cloth- they couldn't use any properties from TOS or even the animated series. They could only use concepts and characters from the Motion Sickness (like the spiky lizard like Klingons). And under no conditions could they even -think- of mixing in Merry Marvel characters. Even though one of their best (at the time) artists, Dave Cockrum (who gained fame for drawing some of the seminal issues of the X-Men as we know them today) drew as many as he could manage, the stories tended to be absolute garbage with not a speck of continuity, being plotted by 8 different writers and drawn by seven different artists (as evidently they could never get one artist other than Cockrum to commit to the series); think Voyager if it were being written by writers who had no loving experience or business writing sci-fi being told to make stories based on one lovely episode.

All the Marvel ST comics were like very bland adaptations of known episodes, made even shittier by replacing the aliens of the original stories with new, unknown generic alien races never to be mentioned again. The very last Marvel issue, "A Thousand Deaths," has Kirk and Spock killed over and over again for the purpose of re-educating a morally bankrupt race of idiots, in the most clumsily written and worst drawn story that's basically a re-telling of TMP and the TOS episode "The Empath." In that story, Kirk and Spock praise the AI that keeps killing them over and over as being one of the most 'human' intelligences they'd ever run into. How a morally bankrupt race creates an AI that is kinder and more thoughtful than them makes me think of a Mary Sue too good for this world, but works as a lovely deus ex machina in a lovely comic.

Mercifully, the Marvel Star Trek run ended after only 18 issues, due to flagging sales.

Even though the Gold Key comics suffered from generic, non-canon aliens (except for the Klingons who are drawn by Giolitti more as as swarthy space pirate swashbucklers) the stories were great and imaginative, mostly because they weren't in any way adaptations of known episodes.

If you ever see a Humble Bundle offered for Trek comics, make sure you never include the Marvel run in that bundle, it'd be like flushing money down the toilet.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 3, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

shamelessly stolen from YOSPOS..

https://twitter.com/annetdonahue/status/875331105767010305/photo/1

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So, how do you think Picard and Riker get along in a TNG mirror universe?

Well, guess it beats duking it out on a trampoline with giant Q-tips.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Sorry, that might have needed a bit more exposition..

The story is that in this mirror universe, Mirror Picard is stuck on the Stargazer which is pretty much falling apart, and thanks to Data tapping into Empire databanks at Utopia Planitia on Mars, he gets wind that the Empire has just finished building its first Galaxy class cruiser, yes, the Enterprise. It's got an enhanced warp drive, state of the art weapons, all the latest gadgets that AREN'T on the Stargazer; Picard decides he must have it. Only problem is it's cloaked in orbit over Mars and already has a Captain and a First Officer, Jellico and Riker.

He schemes with Barclay, Geordi, Data, and Deanna to leave his current assignment, take over and become captain of the Enterprise, bringing over 100 of his most loyal crew over with him. Geordi has to get friendly with Mirror Leah Brahms who's been working on the new Enterprise to help him. Deanna screens the Stargazer crew to see who is the most loyal, or at least noncritical of Picard to join their band of mutineers. Barclay and Data work out the logistics.

This scene takes place in a bar where Picard propositions Riker, who is serving aboard the new Enterprise along with Mirror Jellico as his Captain. Picard tells Riker he's come to take over the Enterprise either with or without his help. The quote is from Picard, and Riker already hates his guts as he's already done his 'If I wanted you dead you would be dead already' spiel, which pisses Riker off, so they get into a 'misunderstanding fight' that you see a piece of.

When Picard tells Riker even he must want Jellico dead (maybe mirror Jellico is a super nice guy who's polite and pleasant to everybody he meets?) Riker gives a cryptic reply: "He's exactly where I want him for now." ?!

Aw, what the heck, here's the denouement:

And to be honest, it's not great art, especially by comic book standards; to be blunt it's almost as bad as what John Byrne does in his Star Trek books, which is to literally take screen shots of episodes and fudge things around to make new art and characters.

It does kinda grow on you like MSU says, because at least Woodward seems to have a knack for picking the best angles and captures, whereas Byrne seems to love doing clip art for its own sake.

Edit: yes those are two braids on Riker's beard. Talk about fan service. :v:

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 3, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Sorry, that'll probably be next issue which should be out in a month.

Mirror Geordie's eyes look like Cyclops's goggles.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

Well the good news is DS9 will never look any better so you might as well get used to it.

You are wrong, plasma conduit breath.. the IndieGoGo DS9 documentary "What We Left Behind" is promising to provide some DS9 remastered clips and possible re-render of certain CGI screens in HD. It's one of their stretch goals and has already been achieved (they achieved all of their stretch goals, BTW)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 4, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Robert Beltran at Star Trek Las Vegas.

resistance is mew-tile!

i'ma gonna need to assimilate that cheezburger

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 8, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The Orville: American Trek

Oh yeah, here's the cover to ST:TNG Mirror Broken #4:

You get the feels that these ships should never be that close in real combat, but, whatevs.

And yeah, that's supposed to be the Mirror Universe (Galaxy Class) Enterprise.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

The Orville: American Trek

Oh yeah, here's the cover to ST:TNG Mirror Broken #4:

You get the feels that these ships should never be that close in real combat, but, whatevs.

And yeah, that's supposed to be the Mirror Universe (Galaxy Class) Enterprise.

I hate to bring this one last point up aside from the impossible geometry and lovely composition, but because of whatever lame paint brush used, it actually looks like the Enterprise is not firing a phaser but emitting a huge stream of fiery, acidic piss that is taking out that Cardassian cruiser.

As a palette cleanser, how about the variant cover for issue 3, mirror Beverly Crusher..

And this was the original:

Yes, in the mirror universe Wesley is super-competent and doesn't wash his hair.. huh, is he microwaving Cupcake?!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 11, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Is that the 'it can only be.. ALIENS' guy?

e;f;b

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yeah, when I watched TOS I realized that they had like six basic plots that they recycled and mix'd n' matched. Remembering that early TNG is pretty lovely, but compared to TV at the time it was pretty good, I can't help but wonder if TOS was pretty good compared to other 60s programs.

TAS I think is hilarious - you thought season 8 TNG was weird...

With TAS, all they did was ask several TOS writers to basically do sequels or rewrite TOS episodes they themselves did before; David Gerrold and DC Fontana basically did this exact thing for More Tribbles, More Troubles and Yesteryear. Samuel A. Peeples wrote both the first episode of TOS (Where No Man Has Gone Before) and the first episode of the animated series (Beyond The Farthest Star)

Speaking as a :corsair: from what I remember of Trek in its day, most people just thought LOL, it was considered barely better than Lost In Space what with Dr. Smith and Monster of the Week, but it didn't get much more respect. Most people liked LIS better because of its formula blandness and the guaranteed 'Oh the pain' every episode which was easier to understand than the highbrow scifi drama Trek presented.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 11, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

cenotaph posted:

TOS has The Alternative Factor which is just repeated beats: the script.

According to George Takei, when Alternative Factor started filming, John Drew Barrymore showed up on set in the AM but after lunchtime he had disappeared; evidently he looked around the set and said, 'gently caress this poo poo;' a search was done high and low but he couldn't be found anywhere.

When he didn't show up the next day, someone from the studio had to be dispatched to see Robert Brown and he was literally dragged away from his house to start filming immediately after he agreed to take the part. Takei then says Alternative Factor was shot in a 'whirlwind' manner and Robert had noted that everything was extremely tense during shooting.

This episode literally almost didn't get made, it was rushed along as fast as possible, so that's a big factor in it not being one of the better TOS episodes.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 11, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

There's still a bunch of guys who do this, they show up at NEAF (Northeast Astronomy Forum) with a table. They volunteer at shelters and rest homes and occasionally have dinners at Golden Corral or something. They're at every show every year, often wearing homemade TNG uniforms. They're usually clustered in a town or neighborhood and claim they're attached to imaginary ships "Hi I'm Lieutenant Barfrey, USS Congolia Breckenridge, NCC-21875-GB! Wanna join our chapter?"

I usually make small donations to them, in random amounts.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 15, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The_Other posted:

So issue 3 of Star Trek: Mirror Broken just dropped today.

(Sadly nothing like this happens in the issue)

Here Picard's plans are realized and he is able to commandeer the ISS Enterprise. We also meet Captain Jellico, Dr. Crusher, and Wesley;

There are also some nice shots of the ISS Enterprise

If you don't like Jellico, you'll love the end of this issue. TO shows off a tiny piece of his ultimate fate there in the inset in that last panel.. Picard locks him into the shuttlebay and then spaces him.

Funny though, Jellico's pretty much the same rear end in a top hat people remember from the regular universe, although it seems he inspires a lot less loyalty than in the regular universe. Wesley's pretending to be a special needs kid but seems to be a whiz with numbers.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

MillennialVulcan posted:

Yeah, The Orville was solid if unspectacular, with a cool episode resolution. I think the characters could be interesting on their own terms. It has potential, it just depends on whether they lean in on characters/exploration or the jokes.

I thought pretty much the same, and to me it felt more like a TNG/Enterprise mix. The effects are definitely top-notch, although ship design seems a little blasé. Adrienne Palicki is definitely super easy on the eyes, although her role is definitely a new twist in the genre.

I kept waiting for the bad guy aliens to demand Ketracel White.
The opening scene was a little bit much, especially the alien cum part. :barf: But that's McFarlane humor for ya.
Why do all the Federation good guy ships look like shoes? And the engines are heel straps?
Hey, no transporters. Welp there goes a ton of really gross jokes McFarlane had in mind. I bet.

Wow, Lt. Paris is directing the second episode, and Brannon Braga the third. I already know which episode will be better :v:

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 11, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Move over Vic Fontaine! It's Lounge Lizard Leo Nimoy!

Can't stop laughing that there was a 'Kraft Chicken Fat Theatre.'

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I actually really liked tonight's episode of DSC. I am SOOOOO glad they stopped with the 15° tilt bullshit from the pilot.

Hopefully we get a silly episode soon, though.

Rainn Wilson was hired to be somebody called Mudd, so you're going to get your wish, maybe not right away though.