Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

here's my favorite scene in star track please enjoy it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD-SJh8szjA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FlamingLiberal posted:

The only big crossover is Worf joining the DS9 regular cast in season 4. Otherwise it's an episode here and there that really doesn't require you to know the other series.

The chief needs to talk to you. :colbert:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Profit and Lace is the only bad DS9 Ferengi episode.

Edit: Vorta Iggy Pop

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I've been posting in both for ages, mods haven't caught on yet

:colbert:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

It always bothered me, if these two are Starfleet, why aren't they in uniform?

They didn't have time to change.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cythereal posted:

I'm a weirdo who enjoys the ENT mirror universe episode. It's good, hammy fun full of people being retards, Enterprise dispensing with the usual protests it makes about its women existing only for fanservice, and Hoshi getting to do something for once in the show's run.

That's not weird, that's the best mirror universe episode and probably the best ENT episode. They had so much fun with it. The only good DS9 one was the one where Rom was along and constantly questioning the premise.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

This may be old news but I just found it and it's awesome.

http://www.starchertrek.com/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I liked that they got a letter from MGM for that episode, though I don't think there's much legal ground to stand on there. Yeah it was obviously Bond but it's all parody.

Garak's incredulousness about the whole thing was great.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Non-spoiler spoiler chat: they make the movie sound less dumb than motorcycle commercial would suggest, so that's good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Here's the actual comic. http://kb-outofthisworld.blogspot.com/2010/02/anti-racism-in-1950s-comics-weird.html

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

God drat it. I forgot that Beyond came out, so I checked the cinema schedule. Turns out it won't be released until October 21 in Japan. What the gently caress.

drat, I thought September in China was rough. At least it's coming at all, with the foreign movie quota here.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Data basically turning to the audience and saying "These guys are 19th century America" in their first appearance was too subtle for some people I guess.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It suffers from only being these three movies. Nimoy Spock showing an emotional reaction to Kirk's death or Vulcan being destroyed doesn't feel out of character to me but those wouldn't be the only two events we'd seen in his existence.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't remember Quark being aghast at selling tobacco but shocked that people would willingly buy poison, and if people would do that he could sell anything.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Frakes became a pretty prolific TV director instead of acting.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Whoopi Goldberg was definitely the biggest star on the show at the time. LeVar Burton would've been second and I am not sure if Patrick Stewart was known at all in the US. I suppose I, Claudius would've aired.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The one where they have to rob the mobsters was too loving much. I'm in the home stretch so no more time for bullshit filler episodes.

Tell me... have you ever been diagnosed as anhedonic?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

B5 season 1 is so much better the second time through because holy poo poo is everything foreshadowed well. JMS working on that show for ten years before he could get it made must have been frustrating but in retrospect was a great thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Baloogan posted:

ZOOT zoot zoot zoot!

I really liked that since the future would be a different culture and humor crosses cultural lines so badly. Everybody's favorite comedians not being funny whatsoever was great.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Thaw is bizarre but really good. And even if it were bad I'd rather something weird but trying than the majority of boring poo poo Voyager episodes.

That ending's one of my favorite Janeway moments.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Chekov's ear is making me dizzy.

If you have Chekov's ear hanging in your office you have to kill someone with it by the end of the day though, it's a pain.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

List of Star Trek captains who have used chemical weapons to poison entire planetary biospheres to take revenge on a guy he used to work with:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

WampaLord posted:

The Sisko owns and I will not stand for this slanderous remark.

He has such enormous balls he committed what surely must be war crimes and rolled up to Starfleet, whipped it out and said WHAT NOW and they didn't punish him at all.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Sisko walked into the Federation president's office and stared him down, silently, while shaving his head and forcing a goatee to sprout. The president agreed The Sisko can do whatever he wants.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I'm so bored of the TOS era.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to it. The only thing I'd want to see in that general era is the Romulan War. I feel like they're trying to convince everyone how good TOS era is by rehashing it over and over and over and I'm just not interested. I love the original movies. But it's been done, it's over, move on. Why constrain yourselves so much? There's so much to do. poo poo just do something like Voyager but not terrible, send a ship out into the 98% of the galaxy that's unexplored.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I never realized how much wrong a thread on the internet could contain until I started seeing you people saying bad things about the Excelsior.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

At least this time we didn't round people up into camps.

There's still time to fix that!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Are the Romulans necessarily concentrated on Romulus? Vulcan's just one world but the Romulans have a huge empire, surely there are a lot of them not on Romulus. It's a blow but I don't see why it'd be equivalent.

I really wish they had gone ahead with having the Romulan on DS9. I can't imagine how they ever thought there was nothing to do with that character and dropped it. I appreciate Moore realizing how dumb that was in retrospect but man what a missed opportunity.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

How do you know? They're not even from Romulus, they immigrated there in the not too distant past. We know virtually nothing about the organization of the empire, it may not even be the most populated planet. If they're really sticking to the Roman Empire theme, Rome itself wasn't terribly important for the latter half of Roman history.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I mean you guys could be right but they really haven't told us anything about how the empire works in the show. It's wide open for them to do whatever they want with it. Most interesting would probably be the empire fragmenting. I could see a faction doing a Praxis thing and making peace with the Federation, an extremist faction, factions of the other races that the Romulans presumably control, etc.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Duckbag posted:

I'm really looking forward to that DS9 documentary. The talk of getting all the writers together to brainstorm "season 8" sounds rad as hell.

Whoa you can't just drop this without some details.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They knew they were ending and wrapped it up though. I remember them talking about how they thought the show was still very much in its stride and could've gone on longer if they weren't being forced to end by the seven season convention.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It'll be interesting to see what they think. I don't know if you need to stretch the war at all, there's plenty to explore in the consequences. That was one thing B5 did well, they had a good amount of episodes getting into what happens next once the big war's over.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The water thing was hilarious. They really gave it no thought at all. Or maybe they were trying to say the Kazon are so loving stupid they have space travel but think they have to go steal water from other people on desert planets instead of collecting ice literally anywhere.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The first adult shows I ever got into were Star Treks so I have this deep rooted thing in me about the first season or two of any show must be bad, and am to this day always a little surprised when a show is good right from the beginning. Or god forbid when the beginning is the best part and it gets worse, that's just bizarre.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sash! posted:

Picard faxed orders around in the first TNG episode.

It's actually a Japanese starship.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I remember seeing a count of how many torpedoes Voyager fired and it was like three times the number they had.

I can buy them manufacturing more torpedoes more easily than building that many shuttles though. Except they made a big deal about what resources they had at the beginning, and never showed anything like converting part of the ship into a manufacturing lab to make parts and whatever.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I liked the TNG technical manual and all those derpy Starfleet ships in uh... Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise or something?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'd like to see this compared with general TV ratings. TNG was still before everyone had a billion channels and even really popular shows have ratings that would have been garbage 30 years ago.

E: I guess I should read the thread first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I've never bothered with Enterprise because I irrationally hate Scott Bakula and how white bread he is.

You can borrow my thing of always calling him Scott Blacula in your head.